PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Ninja/Truenamer

Cpt Lozan
2013-01-02, 08:09 PM
Some friends and I are starting a campaign this Friday, and I'm having trouble choosing my class for the adventure, but I have narrowed it down to either Ninja or Truenamer.

The truenamer class looks really unique and awesome, the main problem is how hard its gonna get to cast those spells. The DC for casting anything in that class is 15 + (2* target's CR), and THAT is gonna get pretty freaking big pretty fast. I've already though of using the Exemplar Class for the +4 and the obvious skill focus, but I'm worried that even with these, I'm gonna be a less reliable caster and not really get any big trade off for it. I was looking for either a prestige class that would work well with someone who started off as a Truenamer or some sort of feat that would remove the cap on how many ranks you can put into a skill.

Now the ninja, I think is really cool and I think I wont have too much trouble building him. For him, I was looking for some advice on poisons I should use or weapons I should use or other classes I should splice in.

Thanks

~Cpt. Lozan

Waker
2013-01-02, 08:15 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114269
That will tell you a fair amount as to what to expect in dealing with the Truenamer class, which many regard as something of a failure of a class.

What resources do you have and what levels are you playing at?

Avenging Executioner might be a decent PrC for the Ninja, since it helps get around the silly mechanic that is the Sudden Strike.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-02, 08:17 PM
Don't bother with the truenamer, the botching of the concept WOTC commited should be a capital offense.

As for ninja, I'll have to let others help you with a specific build. However, if you want to use poison, you could multiclass into ranger or druid for an animal companion. Then chose a companion that has a poison attack, and milk it for your weapons. The poison probably wont be particularly strong, but it'll be free (or at least very cheep.)

JaronK
2013-01-02, 08:21 PM
If you want a poison based ninja, I'd recommend going with a Necropolitan Factotum. Necropolitan makes you immune to poison, and Factotum would let you use Minor or Major Creation to create massive amounts of Black Lotus poison or Sinmaker's Surprise... both very potent poisons. Of course, you'll have to boost the DCs of those to make them stay relevant, but a weapon with the Assassination enhancement should help.

JaronK

Cpt Lozan
2013-01-02, 08:31 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114269
That will tell you a fair amount as to what to expect in dealing with the Truenamer class, which many regard as something of a failure of a class.

What resources do you have and what levels are you playing at?

Avenging Executioner might be a decent PrC for the Ninja, since it helps get around the silly mechanic that is the Sudden Strike.

We will start at level 5 with 9k GP, and what book is Avenging Executioner in? I probably should have mentioned this but we are only allowed access to 2 books outside of the PHB, DMG, and Monster Manual

Waker
2013-01-02, 08:35 PM
Avenging Executioner is from Complete Scoundrel. Don't feel like looking it up, but one of the decent things that it does is make creatures who are afraid a viable target of Sudden Strike. And creatures who are hit by Sudden Strike get spooked. So it kind of feeds back into itself to help ensure extra damage.