PDA

View Full Version : Who Made You? Necropolitians.

Fyermind
2013-01-03, 05:13 AM
If an undead is made under the ideal circumstances it gets a considerable set of bonuses.
+8 hp/HD, +4 enhancement to strength and dexterity, +4 initiative, +10' base land speed, +2 natural armor, +4 turn resistance
Broken down below
+2 hp/HD from desecrate w/alter (Spell PHB)
+2 hp/HD from necromancer 1 (wizard sub level)
+2 hp/HD from corpsecrafter (Feat LM)
+2 hp/HD from dread necromancer 8 (Class HoH)
+4 enhancement to str from dread necromancer 8 (Class HoH)
+4 enhancement to dex from dread necromancer 8 (Class HoH)
+4 initiative from nimble bones (feat LM)
+10' base land speed from nimble bones (feat LM)
+2 natural armor from hardened flesh (feat LM)
+1d6 cold on all natural weapons attacks from deadly chill (feat LM)
+4 turn resistance from bolster resistance (feat LM)

This requires a character of at least ninth level with access to desecrate (not normally on the dread necromancer class list) and five feats (1,3,6,9,Human/strongheart halfling).

Would you allow this in whole or in part? How would you value it if you did?

Note: Normal costs associated with becoming a necropolitian take 24 hours, cost 3000 gp, 1 level + 1000 xp.

icefractal
2013-01-03, 06:15 AM
Everything except the +2 hp/HD from Wizard (Necromancer) seems plausible, if difficult. Dread Necromancer 8 / Wizard 1 is a weird build, and I'm not going to stipulate there's even one in existance unless you have it as a cohort or something. Finding a Dread Necromancer of at least 8th level is then the tricky part. Not impossible by any means, but difficult to do at 3rd level - which is when people generally become Necropolitan for XP reasons.

As for the specific feats - it's likely a Dread Necro would have some of those, but all at once is less likely. One option is get a 7th level Telepath (or 9th level other Psion) involved and use Psychic Reformation to guarantee the feats. Probably easier than finding the Dread Necro actually - again, the implausible part is doing so at 3rd level.

The Desecrate, luckily, can be done by a separate character, so you just need a 9th level evil Cleric to assist for a few seconds - not trivial, but certainly do-able if you have some connections.

IMC? I'd give some of these - the Desecrate certainly, and at least one of the feats - even if you were doing this early on. To get the full package though, you'd need to be high enough level to get the Dread Necro as a cohort or be in a position with good connections, and just eat (or Bottle) the greater XP loss.

JaronK
2013-01-03, 06:23 AM
Note that Necropolitans are not technically created with any Necromancy spell, so Corpsecrafter and the rest of that line doesn't apply. Obviously, you could check with your DM... the creation of Necropolitans certainly implies a Necromancy spell ought to have been involved.

Also, note that there's a ring in online supplements that lets you have desecrate when you want, so you don't need to add it to your spell list.

As for cost... well, it's so specific that I'd imagine a PC would have to either be this build or have a cohort with this build. In which case, isn't the cost to convert a PC sort of irrelevant?

JaronK

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-03, 12:00 PM
I would allow at least some of it for a feat at character creation. It would be a good feat, but not so far out of line. Compare to Warforged with Adimantium plating.

Proboble Feat - Made by dread necormancer 8 in a desecrated area - +4 hp per level, +4 str, +4 dex.

Gnorman
2013-01-03, 12:47 PM
I would allow at least some of it for a feat at character creation. It would be a good feat, but not so far out of line. Compare to Warforged with Adimantium plating.

Proboble Feat - Made by dread necormancer 8 in a desecrated area - +4 hp per level, +4 str, +4 dex.

No offense, but that's pretty far out of line. Those are insane bonuses for a fairly small cost.

Ryulin18
2013-01-03, 01:09 PM
If one of my players came up to me with this, I'd have a joyous field day for storyline! Every wizard studied under his master, every squire that turned fighter had a knight-errant, every thief had a grand-master...why not dread necro's?

I would give them a series of side quests to complete, each to unlock their masters grace and earn a bonus for their future. They could sack the quest in at any point, getting the dread necro 8 stuff and whatever they've earned. It's not about making it impossible, it's about making it fun. This would stop the level 3 change-over and give them something to do in the meantime, apart from waiting and planning. The bonuses are nice, but you have to worry about the "going back to level 1" part as well as being undead.

Small ideas for how to earn your afterlife :smallbiggrin:

+2 hp from desecrate - Find a secret altar. The perfect place for your transformation.
+2 hp from corpsecrafter - Smuggle a cart of bodies through a necromancy-unfriendly town for your master.
+4 initiative and 10ft move - nimble bones - Kill and bone a Quickling for spare parts.
+2 natural armor - Kill something with a nat armor of more than +6. Deliver the hide to your master
Bolster resistance - Ransack a temple, killing all the people inside. Variable bonus depending on #/awesomeness.
Deadly chill attacks - White dragon fangs.

drack
2013-01-03, 01:34 PM
Note that Necropolitans are not technically created with any Necromancy spell, so Corpsecrafter and the rest of that line doesn't apply. Obviously, you could check with your DM... the creation of Necropolitans certainly implies a Necromancy spell ought to have been involved.

Also, note that there's a ring in online supplements that lets you have desecrate when you want, so you don't need to add it to your spell list.

As for cost... well, it's so specific that I'd imagine a PC would have to either be this build or have a cohort with this build. In which case, isn't the cost to convert a PC sort of irrelevant?

JaronK

Agreed. You'd probably need a cool homebrew way to become one first, otherwise sounds fine. :smalltongue:

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-03, 02:10 PM
I said it's a powerful feat, but compare to free full plate at low levels for all warforged melee. Both already have a laundry list of immunities and the necro also has a hidden LA that must be bought off. Besides, while Dex is nice, strength does little for most necros, as they tend to be casters. The +4hp/level is really good, but HP are just HP, and they have no con score, so compare to a 18 con.

Really I would allow it if a player wanted it, but you are right that it is a powerful feat. I would not recommend this for most play, but maybe if a player really wanted the mechanics to back a backstory.

Fyermind
2013-01-03, 02:40 PM
If one of my players came up to me with this, I'd have a joyous field day for storyline! Every wizard studied under his master, every squire that turned fighter had a knight-errant, every thief had a grand-master...why not dread necro's?

I would give them a series of side quests to complete, each to unlock their masters grace and earn a bonus for their future. They could sack the quest in at any point, getting the dread necro 8 stuff and whatever they've earned. It's not about making it impossible, it's about making it fun. This would stop the level 3 change-over and give them something to do in the meantime, apart from waiting and planning. The bonuses are nice, but you have to worry about the "going back to level 1" part as well as being undead.

Small ideas for how to earn your afterlife :smallbiggrin:

+2 hp from desecrate - Find a secret altar. The perfect place for your transformation.
+2 hp from corpsecrafter - Smuggle a cart of bodies through a necromancy-unfriendly town for your master.
+4 initiative and 10ft move - nimble bones - Kill and bone a Quickling for spare parts.
+2 natural armor - Kill something with a nat armor of more than +6. Deliver the hide to your master
Bolster resistance - Ransack a temple, killing all the people inside. Variable bonus depending on #/awesomeness.
Deadly chill attacks - White dragon fangs.

I love your list. I think I might make a party itching to become undead of various forms (ghouls, mummies, wights, necropolitian, awakened skeleton, what-have-you) and running their quest to find a suitable necromancer, and the quests to pay it's price.