PDA

View Full Version : Nine at Noon OOC



Storycrafter
2013-01-03, 12:36 PM
OOC Thread for the Nine at Noon adventuring party.

Please claim a color.

Please decide which faction in Golarion you'd each like to represent. If you need suggestions, let me know, and I'll offer some.

You, as a group, have 2 essential choices:
- Come individually. Grab a faction. Show up, compete.
- Come as a single group. Decide how your paths may have crossed and which faction you collectively represent.

I have been expecting the first option -- arriving in Talidor and competing individually until such time as your paths may coincide. It's fine if you unanimously decide you'd like to take the second choice.

Drothmal
2013-01-03, 02:34 PM
I would like to claim Dark Red, though if someone has a RP reason for using it, I could be persuaded to trade

EDIT: As for faction, I think it would be more exciting to have everyone be in their own thing, though that may make it harder for Strorycrafter to herd all the cats adventurers together

@Storycrafter: Nyz is very flexible with which faction he could come from. His love for freedom/luck probably will make him more likely to associate with Androans (my understanding is they are all about freedom), but I would appreciate any suggestions

shugyosha
2013-01-03, 02:48 PM
Well I choose purple

I am unsure about factions. I am willing to hear any suggestions.

stanleyindraven
2013-01-03, 02:54 PM
Due to character choice I will leave my normal color behind for one more suiting.
I choose BLUE!

And I wouldn't so much be representing any faction per se, unless Blues count as such and I would guess in this case they may not.

Jormengand
2013-01-03, 03:01 PM
A colour? For what purpose? If it's for speaking, I claim "quotation marks" instead.

Drothmal
2013-01-03, 03:07 PM
A colour? For what purpose? If it's for speaking, I claim "quotation marks" instead.

Usually it's nicer to have both quotation marks and a color when your character speaks (that way it is easier to distinguish for the other players as they read the thread). I have found that playing with fonts and colors helps me express a more varied range of actions/thoughts/emotions.

But ultimately is up to you and Storycrafter, I guess.

This is from one of the other PbP games I'm in

A note on post formatting before we get started:

Character Name (bolded)

“Character speech should be in a colour, unbolded (unless you’re shouting or some similar action that is loud), and in quotation marks.” Actions are written in black. Thoughts are in your speech colour, and italicized.

In combat, actions go in spoilers. Additionally, please keep track of your HP in a spoiler during every round of combat.

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-03, 03:10 PM
A colour? For what purpose? If it's for speaking, I claim "quotation marks" instead.
Yeah, it's for highlighting speech. You're right, it's not strictly necessary, but it's been part of this board's PbP culture for some time and it can make things easier. (EDIT: darn ninjas)

I claim plum for Vesper. The faction to which she owes loyalty should be obvious, considering she's a civil servant for the Hermean (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Hermea) government.

Storycrafter, would it be possible to edit the roster, with additional columns to show factions and speech colors, into the OP of this thread? Note: Factions I've marked with a question mark are my best guess based on the character's background and the setting. I have given preference to nations since nations are supposed to be the parties sending delegations to the tournament according to the campaign hook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14412994&postcount=36). They are in absolutely no way binding on anybody. The only two factions that are sure are Vesper's, because I built it into her background, and Ragnok's, because stanleyindraven doesn't want him to belong to one.

{table=head]Player|Character|Race|Class|Faction|Speech
Icilia|Argle Tomik (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=487902)|Human|Alchemist|Nex (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Nex)|Cyan
stanleyindraven|Ragnok the Wanderer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=486765)|Blue|Psion| - |Blue
Drothmal|Nyz "Lucky" Trever (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=44889)|Human|Bard/Wizard|Andoran (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Andoran)|Dark Red
Jormengand|Solion Ezekiel Luminor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=486904)|Oread|Inquistor|???| Black
PowerGamer|Kirito (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=490964)|Half-Elf|Fighter|Andoran (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Andoran)|Slate Gray
Nexus-R.C._Mina|Templar Ulfram al-Baqir (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=490066)|Half-Orc|Barbarian/Cleric|Katapesh (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Katapesh)|Dark Orange
Shugyosha|Hale Akula (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=452773)|Elf|Spellbinder|Arca namirium (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Arcanamirium)|Purple
Lynnette|Noel (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=487555)|Sylph|Spellslinger/Witch|???|Red
TranquilKnight|Rubis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14417665&postcount=57)|Human|Barbarian/Fighter|Shriikirri-Quah (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Shoanti#Shriikirri-Quah_.28The_Hawk_Clan.29)|Yellow Green
zimmerwald1915|Vesper Candeo (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=488033)|Human|Wizard|Hermea (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Hermea)|Plum[/table]

I suppose I should give the reasons I guessed at certain factions for certain characters. Hale learned magic in Nex and his master presumably lives there. The Shriikirri-Quah are most associated with beasts, so the ritual TranquilKnight described makes sense for them, though the Lyrune-Quah and Skoan-Quah are associated with wolves specifically. Icilia can't be from Alkenstar, since firearms are well-established there and he's described as trying to introduce them where he lives. Nex is nearby and has a settlement known for alchemy. Ulfram lived in Katapesh most of his life, was raised and educated there, and his order is based there. Drothmal's reasoning makes sense for Nyz, and I can't think of anywhere better, except perhaps Nirmathas (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Nirmathas).

Jormengand
2013-01-03, 03:16 PM
The trouble is, when someone is actually doing something interesting with the colours, they end up needing them more than the people using them to speak. Anyway, I claim black. :D

stanleyindraven
2013-01-03, 03:30 PM
The trouble is, when someone is actually doing something interesting with the colours, they end up needing them more than the people using them to speak. Anyway, I claim black. :D

^^^ Some men just want to watch the world burn. ^^^^

Anyone else read that in Michael Caine (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000323/)'s voice?

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-03, 05:05 PM
re: the IC thread

In my opinion, that is not enough to work with. What time is it? What day is it? Where are we? Are we separate or together? Who else is around? Even the most off-the-cuff improvisation requires some given circumstances.

shugyosha
2013-01-03, 05:08 PM
Are faction regional? Or can they be something else. I image Hale is associated with a mage guild or some such.

PowerGamer
2013-01-03, 05:13 PM
I realized I still need a background D: ok... umm I didn't find much for Galorion the first time around. Will try again... Then look at factions. Well darn blue was taken, soo Slate Grey it is.

--- Edit ---

So all I can is that Galorian has a few continents, and good for human development... I can't find anything else or anything about factions.

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-03, 06:28 PM
I realized I still need a background D: ok... umm I didn't find much for Galorion the first time around. Will try again... Then look at factions. Well darn blue was taken, soo Slate Grey it is.

--- Edit ---

So all I can is that Galorian has a few continents, and good for human development... I can't find anything else or anything about factions.
Well, depending on how much you want Kirito to parallel his namesake, he could easily be from one of the outlying districts of Kasai (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Kasai#Beyond_the_City), the capital city of Minkai (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Minkai). The wiki page is relatively sparse, so here's what the Dragon Empires Gazetteer has to say about Kasai:

The capital of Minkai is also its largest city. Extensively planned, with numerous wide canals and meticulously designed districts, Kasai is one of the jewels of Minkai. Incoming trade and visitors are encouraged to make Kasai their first port of call by well-advertised promises of bargains and benefits for foreign visitors, so that Minkai’s government can ensure that the first impression most visitors have of Minkai is this shining jewel of a city. The seat of the government and the site of the Imperial Palace, Kasai also features a deep harbor with abundant fishing.

The easiest way to get to Taldor from Kasai would be via the Path of Aganhei (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Path_of_Aganhei) to Kalsgard, then a ship from Kalsgard to Oppara. Ships can also sail east from Tain Xia and reach Avistan, but it would take longer.

----

Elves, and thus half-elves, are rather more common in Amanandar (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Amanandar) (capital city New Oppara (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/New_Oppara) and Shokuro (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Shokuro) (capital city Mukinami) than they are in Minkai, since those lands neighbor the elven state of Jinin (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Jinin) (capital city Ayajinbo).

Storycrafter
2013-01-03, 09:37 PM
re: the IC thread

In my opinion, that is not enough to work with. What time is it? What day is it? Where are we? Are we separate or together? Who else is around? Even the most off-the-cuff improvisation requires some given circumstances.

It is every time. It is no time.

That post was meant as a place holder. I was going to set you up with a lot more than hello world :) I'd rather get some faction ideas settled on before we begin IC, that way we have a reasonable place to start: at one sentence past the beginning!

Icilia
2013-01-03, 09:42 PM
@zimmerwald1912: Just scribble me in for nex. I'm not overly familiar with the factions of Golarion. Most of my games have been pf:ebberon, or homebrew worlds.

I shall choose Cyan!

Storycrafter
2013-01-03, 09:49 PM
As for factions, there are largely 4 main sources for these:

National: i.e. Andoran (government), Varisan (government), etc.

Racial: The blues of...bluesville, the half-orcs of....Golarion!

Societal: Pathfinder Society, Red Mantis, Brotherhood of Freemen (privateers), Hell Knights, etc.

Religious Orders: Desnan Archdiocese of Northern Andoran, Church of Sarenrae, whatever...

I was expecting if you felt you had a strong background tied to a specific region or area of Golarion, you might naturally represent a regional or local government there. If not, perhaps some societal faction that operates more globally. I realize government affiliation would be tricky, though, since that assumes you have some special status with a particular government. Instead, perhaps that government held trials for representation and sent their best on to compete internationally?

I can provide a complete list of these things tomorrow. In the meantime, this might help, might not. (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page), this might help (or not) (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2nwrt?Thematically-interesting-wizards-in-Golarion), or if you have this book, that'd definitely help. (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Faction_Guide). I do have this last book, but it'll take me a little while to transpose it here (read: tomorrow).

shugyosha
2013-01-03, 09:53 PM
Put Hale down for the global Mage Guild, a societal faction. I think that makes much more sense. Also frees up Nex for Icilia.

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-03, 10:51 PM
It is every time. It is no time.
...it is the age of wisdom, it is the age of foolishness...


That post was meant as a place holder. I was going to set you up with a lot more than hello world :) I'd rather get some faction ideas settled on before we begin IC, that way we have a reasonable place to start: at one sentence past the beginning!
I was afraid of two possibilities: either we were beginning to post in the IC thread before it was ready, or that the IC thread as it stood was what we had to work with. It's a relief to know that the first is the case. I suppose, though, that I ought to apologize for coming off all presumptuous. So sorry for that.

Does this mean that the posts currently in the IC thread will get retconned out of existence?


@zimmerwald1912: Just scribble me in for nex. I'm not overly familiar with the factions of Golarion. Most of my games have been pf:ebberon, or homebrew worlds.

I shall choose Cyan!
I don't want to pressure you. I just like tables that look complete, or as complete as possible. As such I'll keep the little question mark next to Nex in place til you find a faction you're happy with.


I realize government affiliation would be tricky, though, since that assumes you have some special status with a particular government. Instead, perhaps that government held trials for representation and sent their best on to compete internationally?
"Trials? Mengkare obviously thinks I can handle this task or he would never have assigned it to me. I'm not planning on letting him down."


I can provide a complete list of these things tomorrow. In the meantime, this might help, might not. (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page), this might help (or not) (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2nwrt?Thematically-interesting-wizards-in-Golarion), or if you have this book, that'd definitely help. (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Faction_Guide). I do have this last book, but it'll take me a little while to transpose it here (read: tomorrow).
Here's another interim source. (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Category:Organizations)


Put Hale down for the global Mage Guild, a societal faction. I think that makes much more sense. Also frees up Nex for Icilia.
What's the problem with two characters representing the same faction? One of the conceits the campaign hook asks us to operate under, after all, is that, with some exceptions (looking at Ragnok here), each character is travelling with a retinue of fellow champions from their faction, as well as escorts. Also, there is a problem with representing the global mage guild: it would consist entirely of Hale and have no existence outside his imagination. Magical organizations with international reach of which Hale would have knowledge and to which he would have access given his background include the Arcanamirium (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Arcanamirium), the Arclords of Nex (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Arclords_of_Nex), the Aspis Consortium (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Aspis_Consortium), the Blackfire Adepts (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Blackfire_Adepts), the Fleshforgers of Ecanus (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Ecanus), the Order of the Gate (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Order_of_the_Gate), the Pathfinder Society (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Pathfinder_Society), and the Riftwardens (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Riftwardens).

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-04, 03:53 AM
Reporting in. IC post sometime later.

Speech colour, claming this lovely colour of PURGE IT WITH FIRE!

Faction? Can't claim "halforcs of Golarion, much as that'd be nice to be standing up for that variety of underdog", since this bugger's been pretty much sheltered. Only sorts of people he knows are "The Holy", "The Innocent", "The Bandit", "The Heretic". Hmm. Sarenrae's Bastion... Solku... Katapeshi, there we go. Alright. An either-or between Katapeshi/the Cult of the Dawnflower.

Storycrafter
2013-01-04, 11:42 AM
.Here's another interim source. (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Category:Organizations)


Excellent, thanks! I'd say this is probably good enough for our uses, and without digging through everything in that list (it's broader in scope than the "Factions" book I referenced), I'd like to recommend we use that as canon. There are few we should probably shy away from but I see lots of good ideas for houses and guilds in there.


.
What's the problem with two characters representing the same faction? One of the conceits the campaign hook asks us to operate under, after all, is that, with some exceptions (looking at Ragnok here), each character is travelling with a retinue of fellow champions from their faction, as well as escorts.


I concur -- it's entirely possible for many of you to represent the same organization. In fact, it's entirely possible for you all to represent only one faction. That'll change the nature of the competition, but this I fully intend for this to be collaborative.


.
Also, there is a problem with representing the global mage guild: it would consist entirely of Hale and have no existence outside his imagination. Magical organizations with international reach of which Hale would have knowledge and to which he would have access given his background include the Arcanamirium (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Arcanamirium), the Arclords of Nex (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Arclords_of_Nex), the Aspis Consortium (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Aspis_Consortium), the Blackfire Adepts (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Blackfire_Adepts), the Fleshforgers of Ecanus (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Ecanus), the Order of the Gate (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Order_of_the_Gate), the Pathfinder Society (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Pathfinder_Society), and the Riftwardens (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Riftwardens).
Good stuff, thanks.

shugyosha
2013-01-04, 11:47 AM
after reading a few I think Arcanamirium fits well with Hale.

PowerGamer
2013-01-04, 01:08 PM
Sooo... anyone want to pick up a wandering swordsman? I'm thinking of playing the amnesia card.

Woke up in the Red Lantern District of Kasai. Was wearing nothing but a simple black shirt and pants. Snuck backstage and grabbed some shoes and a black coat. Not sure who I am or what I was. Worked at a tavern for a while to earn enough money to buy equipment and left town. Either I can wander my way to this competition or someone can take a liking to me and bring me with them (I work my way through shipping and such).

Forgot to roll HP...[roll0]

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-04, 02:13 PM
Sooo... anyone want to pick up a wandering swordsman? I'm thinking of playing the amnesia card.
"I'm sorry, but I don't think I can. Joining our delegation would mean joining Hermea, and that's not something I can just arrange. It might take years, and would definitely mean writing to the Council and Mengkare and waiting for a response. Maybe one of the others?"


Woke up in the Red Lantern District of Kasai. Was wearing nothing but a simple black shirt and pants. Snuck backstage and grabbed some shoes and a black coat. Not sure who I am or what I was. Worked at a tavern for a while to earn enough money to buy equipment and left town. Either I can wander my way to this competition or someone can take a liking to me and bring me with them (I work my way through shipping and such).

Forgot to roll HP...[roll0]
"Wait a minute, doesn't Minkai have its own delegation? It's a whole empire in its own right, after all. I think I have a map (http://crunkrogers.deviantart.com/art/Fan-made-Golarion-map-337812221) somewhere."

Most of Garund and Casmaron, and all of Arcadia, Azlant, and Sarusan, is speculative, but the continents that are important to you are Tian Xia (Minkai is located in the northeast), the Crown of the World, and Avistan (Taldor is located in the southeast, and is outlined in blue).

Drothmal
2013-01-04, 02:55 PM
I agree with zimmerwald1915 that the Minkay delegation would work well for Kirito (considering Kirito's source of inspiration and your mention of Kasai).

But if you don't mind refluffing him to a less oriental background (after all, he's using a rapier and a shortsword, which are most definitely NOT oriental weapons) and don't mind making him show up in Andoran, he could pair up with Nyz rather well: Kirito might figure out that Nyz is so lucky that by sticking with him he might find clues of his past.

As for Nyz' faction: I'm almost sure I'll go with Andoran. this would have been ridiculously fun (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Dire_Gambler%27s_Club), but not as fitting. Another option is the pathfinder society, if that would make the DM's/other PC's life easier.

PowerGamer
2013-01-04, 03:39 PM
I didn't realize Minkai was an eastern style continent... I'm not finding very descriptive things online about the setting at all... And is it possible to join this competition as a lone underdog? It might make things easier. Minkai fits Kirito's origin best according to you guys, but he wasn't truly in a faction per say (Yes he lost a fight an was forced to join that one group I know) but he was seen more as a helpful solo player


Try this one:

Found walking out of Darkmoon Wood (the half elf, elf being fey makes sense sort of)[with amnesia still](already carrying armor and weapons), received help in Falcon's Hollow, worked to pay back for the help. And then started wandering southward, arriving just in time for this competition and being pulled in by Nyx to help fight for his faction

Drothmal
2013-01-04, 04:30 PM
I didn't realize Minkai was an eastern style continent... I'm not finding very descriptive things online about the setting at all... And is it possible to join this competition as a lone underdog? It might make things easier. Minkai fits Kirito's origin best according to you guys, but he wasn't truly in a faction per say (Yes he lost a fight an was forced to join that one group I know) but he was seen more as a helpful solo player


Try this one:

Found walking out of Darkmoon Wood (the half elf, elf being fey makes sense sort of)[with amnesia still](already carrying armor and weapons), received help in Falcon's Hollow, worked to pay back for the help. And then started wandering southward, arriving just in time for this competition and being pulled in by Nyx to help fight for his faction

I'd be OK with that. Welcome to the Andoran faction! Though just in case let me remind you that Nyz is also part of the Andoran delegation more out of coincidence (they want to capitalize on his luck) than any nationalistic feelings. Which should work well for Kirito too, I guess

PowerGamer
2013-01-04, 04:36 PM
I'd be OK with that. Welcome to the Andoran faction! Though just in case let me remind you that Nyz is also part of the Andoran delegation more out of coincidence (they want to capitalize on his luck) than any nationalistic feelings. Which should work well for Kirito too, I guess

Sweet works for me too

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-04, 05:03 PM
Well, that's a coup for the Andoran faction. :smallbiggrin:

Also, in Golarion, gnomes are fey. Elves are aliens. Their ultimate homeland (as opposed to nations like Kyonin or Jinin), Sovyrian, is located on the planet Castrovel, Golarion's sunward neighbor.

PowerGamer
2013-01-04, 05:16 PM
Well, that's a coup for the Andoran faction. :smallbiggrin:

Also, in Golarion, gnomes are fey. Elves are aliens. Their ultimate homeland (as opposed to nations like Kyonin or Jinin), Sovyrian, is located on the planet Castrovel, Golarion's sunward neighbor.

... WTF!! GNOMES ARE NOT FEY!!! ELVES ARE!!! SO STUPID!!... Ok ranting over... I did mention Ramen in my actual background so not necessarily from within the forest itself. IDK, just leave it as is :P

Story if you wish to readThe first thing I remember, is walking out of the Darkmoon Woods into a clearing, a man yelling "TIMBER" and another yelling at me and then tackling me as a tree almost crushed us both. Anything about myself before that... I don't remember, except for the taste of a food called Ramen (they don't have any here in Andoran sadly). I was taken back to Falcon's Hollow and was given a few days to recover from... What ever it was. I still couldn't remember anything from before that moment though. I thanked the kind family that took me in and I worked in the tavern to pay them back, and then worked some more to get a little pocket money.

I didn't quite fit in to Falcon's Hollow but it was a nice place. I soon said my goodbyes and left thinking, "I should live this new life to the fullest, but an honest life." I didn't know who I was, but I know I have been given a chance to start again. ... So I wandered...

And I wandered right into this whole mess of a competition. Bumped into this guy named Nyx who decided I will be competing for his faction (Andoran).

And that's my story, the story of Kirito the Wanderer.

Drothmal
2013-01-07, 12:54 PM
Just wanted to post here to say I'm still alive. I'm jsut having a hard time thinking of how Nyz would enter the ongoing conversation, so I'll keep waiting for the competitions to start.

PowerGamer
2013-01-07, 03:06 PM
Whoops forgot there was an IC... As for Nyz. I'll awkwardly get us involved without embarrassing you. Just come to my rescue

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-07, 03:50 PM
Just wanted to post here to say I'm still alive. I'm jsut having a hard time thinking of how Nyz would enter the ongoing conversation, so I'll keep waiting for the competitions to start.
I still think this conversation's going to get retconned out of existence, so there's no pressure to participate, really.

Storycrafter
2013-01-08, 02:28 AM
I still think this conversation's going to get retconned out of existence, so there's no pressure to participate, really.

Pressure!

You're such a pessimist. I look at it this way -- this is the easiest group to get going. I gave such a meager sentence (really meant just to hold the thread from slipping into the void), and already there are introductions and some dialogue. We haven't even really been ushered into quarters in preparation for the tournament set to start in a few days, and already we've learned some goblin racial history and how clumsy half elven fighters can be.

On a related note, I regret to say I won't be able to post the grand opening I've been working on for a few more days. My first baby is set to be delivered tomorrow so I will likely have very limited time to post much. I may be able to squeeze something out Wednesday, but that's pushing it. My apologies for the delay -- tomorrow's delivery was somewhat unexpected and several days early.

At any rate, IC away, but keep in mind most of you will be given some decent lodging for the tournament (which is expected to take 5 to 8 days or so), and while many champions and their retinue are arriving, not all will be given equal accommodations. Some might find their housing quite spartan.

PowerGamer
2013-01-08, 06:06 AM
CONGRATS ON THE BABY!!! You are going to have a ton of work on your hands my good sir. Good luck :smallcool:

stanleyindraven
2013-01-08, 06:29 AM
Cheers, the first week is great, sleepless a lot of the time but great bonding time, take what time you need, i am very patient.

shugyosha
2013-01-08, 10:28 AM
Ha-za new father!! Good luck.

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-08, 10:53 AM
Lord's luck to you and your family, chief. Peace, joy and prosperity to y'all.

TranquilKnight
2013-01-08, 11:28 AM
I am sorry for the delay have had a lot going on and missed the thread links.

For color I will be going with Green and I am not as familiar with the Galarion nation as I'd like to be but, are there any suggestions or ideas where a Beast Totem Barbarian might come from, I was hoping to more represent my tribe than an actaul nation since they are usaully a nomadic people.

Again sorry for the delay :smalleek:

Jormengand
2013-01-08, 11:31 AM
Solion will make a grand entrance when he actually has a clue what's going on.

Drothmal
2013-01-08, 12:08 PM
@Storycrafter: Congrats on the baby! No rush on the posting, but thank you for letting us know you are still there.

TranquilKnight
2013-01-08, 12:28 PM
Just catching up on thread. CONGRATS! hope everything for you and your family is wonderful.

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-08, 03:39 PM
You're such a pessimist. I look at it this way -- this is the easiest group to get going. I gave such a meager sentence (really meant just to hold the thread from slipping into the void), and already there are introductions and some dialogue. We haven't even really been ushered into quarters in preparation for the tournament set to start in a few days, and already we've learned some goblin racial history and how clumsy half elven fighters can be.
You've...pretty much got my number, actually. I am a pessimist. :smallbiggrin:


On a related note, I regret to say I won't be able to post the grand opening I've been working on for a few more days. My first baby is set to be delivered tomorrow so I will likely have very limited time to post much. I may be able to squeeze something out Wednesday, but that's pushing it. My apologies for the delay -- tomorrow's delivery was somewhat unexpected and several days early.
Mazel tov!


For color I will be going with Green and I am not as familiar with the Galarion nation as I'd like to be but, are there any suggestions or ideas where a Beast Totem Barbarian might come from, I was hoping to more represent my tribe than an actaul nation since they are usaully a nomadic people.
Information on the Shoanti tribes can be found here (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Shoanti#Tribes_of_the_Shoanti). Pick the one that makes the most sense to you.

TranquilKnight
2013-01-08, 04:11 PM
Information on the Shoanti tribes can be found here. Pick the one that makes the most sense to you.

Thank you, I will be a member of the Shriikiri-Quah tribe as they revere animals and tavel the farthest of most tribes. Makes sense since I am named after and fight like a wolf and will be traveling far outside my tribes region I imagine. It also means I get to add tattoo rituals to my persona.

Drothmal
2013-01-08, 08:34 PM
@Powergamer: Minimum correction, but it is Nyz (with z), not Nyx

Though Nyx has a nice ring to it, it's too close to another character I'm playing (LIX, which is a play on the roman number), and I would dread getting confused and thinking I'm a psychic warrior minotaur instead of a charming bard :smalltongue:

PowerGamer
2013-01-08, 08:37 PM
@Powergamer: Minimum correction, but it is Nyz (with z), not Nyx

Though Nyx has a nice ring to it, it's too close to another character I'm playing (LIX, which is a play on the roman number), and I would dread getting confused and thinking I'm a psychic warrior minotaur instead of a charming bard :smalltongue:

Whoops sorry I'll go fix that

stanleyindraven
2013-01-11, 01:51 PM
so, overall, with no true story introduction or DM input wee have successfully pulled the party together, and set about bonds and such. I say that when he gets back from his very joyous occasion, we get XP. if not, oh well, i am sure we will get to that part through roleplaying opportunities and combat soon enough.

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-11, 05:39 PM
so, overall, with no true story introduction or DM input wee have successfully pulled the party together, and set about bonds and such. I say that when he gets back from his very joyous occasion, we get XP. if not, oh well, i am sure we will get to that part through roleplaying opportunities and combat soon enough.
Demanding, or even mentioning, XP is, in my experience, the surest way to ensure we don't get any. :smallwink:

Let's just keep doing what we're doing, and any rewards can be little surprises along the way.

stanleyindraven
2013-01-11, 09:12 PM
im trying to keep people interested, that is my way of being playful. in character can only do so much for the chemistry of the players.

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-11, 09:23 PM
in character can only do so much for the chemistry of the players.
What makes you say that? I think there's a lot more that can be got out of your character. If you think there isn't, the only way to fix that is to give yourself more specific circumstances (read: backstory elements) to work with.

stanleyindraven
2013-01-11, 09:55 PM
in character makes lots of chemistry for the characters and some chemistry for players, but i like to get to know the people behind the characters too. helps me understand more about their characters as many people have a specific type of play and things they like to get out of the game, and i like to help any way i can to help others get that experience.

Storycrafter
2013-01-12, 05:56 PM
Well, firstly, thanks for hanging with me. The birth had a few complications, but we're home now and trying to recover our senses, natural rhythms (+1), and sleep.

As for styles, as I think we discussed early on in the recruitment thread, there was more of an interest in whole-game play and perhaps a little less focus on monster hunts and constant combat. I do intend to add more drama to your conflicts than I do with the in-person games I run since you guys are actually asking for it (vs. me trying to cajole players into it).

Give me another 24 hours and I'll have up your first setup. I intend to keep the current IC as is, I don't think it's spoiling anything for now. As for what to expect, I'm thinking something like a mix of popular tournament style games we may all be used to, combined with a few popular fictional ones. You'll all be competing, possibly with each other on occasion, and there is no predetermined outcome, of course.

BTW, our little boy Ethan says "hi". Maybe he'll make a guest appearance in some future story.

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-12, 07:53 PM
Well, firstly, thanks for hanging with me. The birth had a few complications, but we're home now and trying to recover our senses, natural rhythms (+1), and sleep.
Well, good luck. I hope no one required surgery, or if they did, that it went off alright.


BTW, our little boy Ethan says "hi".
That's...amazing, actually. How precocious!

stanleyindraven
2013-01-12, 08:43 PM
Well I am happy for your addition, I know it is wonderful and much of the stress is behind you as the healthy child and wife survived childbirth, which i tell you I barely did and I'm the dad.

Lynnette
2013-01-14, 10:41 PM
I am sorry for my vanishing, running around trying to make sure I could make it though this quarter.

I would like red[/QUOTE] if that is ok? I believe we had another shade of red.

Storycrafter
2013-01-14, 10:52 PM
I am sorry for my vanishing, running around trying to make sure I could make it though this quarter.

I would like red if that is ok? I believe we had another shade of red.

Your color choice works.

Starting post tomorrow morning. Almost caught up with work, life, and baby!

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-16, 12:58 AM
Reposted from the IC thread:


So let me see if I've got the itinerary:
Fireday [today]: no events scheduled
Starday: evening feast [hosted in the Imperial Palace?]
Sunday: no events scheduled
Moonday: morning presentation ceremony [at the Oppara Arena?]
Toilday: first day of trials at the Oppara Arena

PowerGamer
2013-01-16, 05:35 AM
Love what you did with the days, made me laugh. Yes I'm alive. Kirito isn't always talkative so he was just observing the others

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-16, 10:26 AM
I'm sorry, I think I missed a Spot check?

I assume the green's bunking with the blue, somewhere in The Narrows, one Sailor's Knot place?

stanleyindraven
2013-01-16, 10:41 AM
Probably, but I did notice that discernment missing.

Storycrafter
2013-01-16, 11:22 AM
So let me see if I've got the itinerary:
Fireday [today]: no events scheduled
Starday: evening feast [hosted in the Imperial Palace?]
Sunday: no events scheduled
Moonday: morning presentation ceremony [at the Oppara Arena?]
Toilday: first day of trials at the Oppara Arena

Ah, pretty close, sorry if I was confusing...

Monday's presentation will probably be in the afternoon. It's ceremonial. Thinking opening of the olympics.

Toilday's events will be at several locations depending on the event. The group is likely to be scattered across the city. There are events at the arena, in the fields outside the city, and at the colleges. There may be others that I'm not yet aware of. On Starday, the final, official "Catalogue of Tournaments of Champions" will be posted.

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-16, 11:28 AM
I'm sorry, I think I missed a Spot check?

I assume the green's bunking with the blue, somewhere in The Narrows, one Sailor's Knot place?

^--- Chief? Confirm, please?

Storycrafter
2013-01-16, 11:31 AM
I'm sorry, I think I missed a Spot check?

I assume the green's bunking with the blue, somewhere in The Narrows, one Sailor's Knot place?

Sorry, wasn't intentional. And yes, same place.

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-16, 11:49 AM
Ah, pretty close, sorry if I was confusing...

Monday's presentation will probably be in the afternoon. It's ceremonial. Thinking opening of the olympics.

Toilday's events will be at several locations depending on the event. The group is likely to be scattered across the city. There are events at the arena, in the fields outside the city, and at the colleges. There may be others that I'm not yet aware of. On Starday, the final, official "Catalogue of Tournaments of Champions" will be posted.
Gotcha. In light of this, my current understanding of our itinerary now looks like this:

Fireday [today]: no events scheduled
Starday: evening feast at the Imperial Palace. Precise scheduling of Moonday's and Toilday's events revealed
Sunday: no events scheduled
Moonday: afternoon presentation ceremony at the Oppara Arena
Toilday: first day of trials at various locations including the Oppara Arena, the Kitharodian Academy, the Rhapsodic College, and outside the city

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-16, 11:50 AM
Sorry, wasn't intentional. And yes, same place.

Acknowledged and appreciated, chief. No worries. Post inbound.

Storycrafter
2013-01-17, 02:36 PM
In the posting over in the IC thread, I've laid out several "skill challenges" for each character to undertake. Here's how I'd like to run things:

1) Pick one challenge for Toilday for each hour. I.e. one from the first list and one from the second.
2) We'll conduct the "tests" for each in no particular order. Roll as ye may when ye may.
3) At the end of the "day", we'll tally and see where you might stand according to the larger field.
4) You can compete against each other. This isn't an elimination test.
5) I'll roll offline for the other 20 contestants. I'll share the more interesting results.

For the Battlefield Offense, you may roll 5 attacks with your best melee attack vs. AC 18. You must do 15 points of damage. You will be fighting arcane constructs created specifically for the purposes of this contest.

For the Archery competition, you may roll your best ranged attack vs. AC 20 six times. Do not bother with damage rolling -- this is to determine your accuracy, not your damage.

For "Learned Adventurer", you may make the following checks 5 times:
Knowledge(Arcana), Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Perception, Knowledge (Religion). You are trying to decipher and describe several artifacts that will be presented to you.

For Battlefield Agility, you will be dodging moving targets and fire. You must make 5 checks from the following list:
Acrobatics, Climb, Swim, Fly, or Ride. The DC is 18.

For Master of Surprise, you will be navigating an obstacle course and attempting to create diversions or catch certain people unawares: You must make 5 Stealth or Acrobatics checks vs. DC 18

For "Performance Art", you must make 5 Perform, Diplomacy, or Acrobatics checks vs. DC 18. You will be performing in front of a large audience comprised of many of Oppara's upper class.

For Arcane Master, you must make 5 SpellCraft, Sleight of Hand, Concentration checks, or Use Magic Device as you are subjected to several distractions and intense psychological pressure by several of Oppara's learned masters of arcane arts.

In all the cases above, it is not necessary to succeed on each check. Your ratio of success determines your "standing" in the tougher contests on Wealday. More on the rules for those contests to follow shortly.

By the way, regarding time...3rd hour is 9am, so 6th hour would be noon and 9th hour would be 3pm.

stanleyindraven
2013-01-17, 02:56 PM
Ok so fot the first set it would go:
At the 3rd hour:
Learned Adventure (at the Kitharodian Academy)
Your knowledge of arcane artifacts and writing will be tested
Know Arcana:
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4]

A Grand Buffet will be served at the 6th hour in the House of the Immortal Son

At the 9th hour:
Battlefield Agility (at the Oppara Arena)
You must navigate an obstacle course
Fly Check:
[roll5] [roll6] [roll7] [roll8] [roll9]

Storycrafter
2013-01-17, 03:04 PM
Ok so fot the first set it would go:
At the 3rd hour:
Learned Adventure (at the Kitharodian Academy)
Your knowledge of arcane artifacts and writing will be tested
Know Arcana:
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4]

A Grand Buffet will be served at the 6th hour in the House of the Immortal Son

At the 9th hour:
Battlefield Agility (at the Oppara Arena)
You must navigate an obstacle course
Fly Check:
[roll5] [roll6] [roll7] [roll8] [roll9]

Yeah, that's it pretty much. The only exception to the "5 checks" rule is the archery contest, which requires 6 rolls (attack rolls). Also, you may mix and match the type of check as you please for each event.

Also, the first contest, the "Battlefield Offense" will require 5 attack and 5 damage rolls. Again, using your best melee weapon. You're attacking a moving dummy, essentially.

These rolls are basically because you are navigating a course or series of obstacles. In the "Learned Adventure", you're actually examining 5 different items. In the "Performance Arts" case, you are performing a play broken into 5 acts, or performing a ballad with 5 movements, etc...

For now, I'm looking for you just to pick your contests. We'll pick up the story in the few hours before the banquet. Unless, of course, you'd like to spend some of the earlier hours exploring.

stanleyindraven
2013-01-17, 03:07 PM
i spent time wandering around to find all of the locations. but yeah, those would be two events ragnok will choose, but i can make the actual rolls when that comes time, i just wanted to clarify.

Drothmal
2013-01-17, 05:00 PM
Nyz will try the Learned adventurer in the morning (Glad that bards can do knowledge checks untrained, sad that the 2-3 knowledges I did pick don't come into play for this competition). In the afternoon, he'll participate in the performing competition (rather obvious, but its good to state it)

Just wanted to give everyone heads up: Since Nyz has a couple abilities/day that he can use to boos his checks, I'll probably have to roll the 10 rolls one by one (so I can optimize the uses of prescience and inexplicable luck). I apologize in advance for the wall of rolls I'll have to do.

Icilia
2013-01-17, 06:51 PM
Argle will enter Learned Adventurer and Arcane Master

PowerGamer
2013-01-17, 09:38 PM
Kirito will participate in Battlefield Offence and Battlefield Agility

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-18, 01:26 AM
These rolls are basically because you are navigating a course or series of obstacles. In the "Learned Adventure", you're actually examining 5 different items. In the "Performance Arts" case, you are performing a play broken into 5 acts, or performing a ballad with 5 movements, etc...
Well this brings up an interesting question. Would we be able to pick and choose which skills we roll among the ones presented to us, or would we be expected to roll one of each? And will we be able to cast spells in the course of the contest?

Regardless, Vesper will be contending in the Learned Adventure and Arcane Mastery contests.

shugyosha
2013-01-18, 02:20 AM
Regardless, Vesper will be contending in the Learned Adventure and Arcane Mastery contests.

Those are the most obvious for us magic throwers. However does Battlefield Offense have to be force or arms or could I just cast spells and blow it up?

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-18, 02:23 AM
Those are the most obvious for us magic throwers. However does Battlefield Offense have to be force or arms or could I just cast spells and blow it up?
The directions mention "best melee attack". Something like shocking grasp could probably work, as would enlarging yourself so you could hit harder with a weapon, but something like scorching ray is probably right out. On the other hand, we're talking about a construct, so outright magic immunity isn't totally out of the question.

shugyosha
2013-01-18, 02:42 AM
I just thought of a funny scene:
Hale: Excuse me... I think I'm in the wrong place. Where is the Learned Adventurer test
Some Official: What? <Clanking and sounds of fighting in the back ground>
Hale: I said...
Some Official: What? I can't hear you...
BOOM <construct blown up in a big fiery blast>
Hale: I said, where do I have to go for the Learned Adventurer test.
Some Official: You didn't need to blow up the construct... you could have just asked.

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-18, 03:57 AM
Not really sure what I did to screw up the rolls. Maybe using the "preview" function was what did it. Regardless, here they are, broken up as they were in the IC post.

Fireday Rolls
The Knowledge (geography) check is to find a post office specifically, though it may reveal other information. The other checks are for general knowledge about Oppara, its history, its people, its culture and its politics.

Knowledge (geography): [roll0]
Knowledge (history): [roll1]
Knowledge (local): [roll2]
Knowledge (nobility): [roll3]

Starday Rolls
Where can Vesper find a boutique? What's in fashion? Why is it in fashion, and who popularized it?

Knowledge (geography): [roll4]
Knowlege (local): [roll5]
Knowledge (nobility): [roll6]

Drothmal
2013-01-18, 12:47 PM
it is as zimmerwald said, if you preview the post when you are going to roll for something, the roll commands will turn to [roll0], [roll1] etc

as for rolling, the command is

(roll=Attack)1d20+10(/roll)

Replace the ( with [ and the ) with ]. No spaces (specially in the roll command), no commas

TranquilKnight
2013-01-18, 02:39 PM
For the Battlefield Offense. In a rage, plus bull's strenghth potion, and 1.5x strength with Dragon stance. Ok so since I am a somewhat special case on attack rounds, did you mean only five moves or only five rounds of attack. Since I have natural attack in rage I get 2 claw attacks as a standard. Each requires a seperate roll but is only one attack aka "primary". If I take a full round action I will actaully get 3 attacks (2 claws and a bite as secondary) but all 3 rolls would actaully only be one round. Just wondering how u wanted to handle that. For now I will just attack unarmed though. (1d20+8) Atk (1d6+15) Dmg
[roll0] [roll1][roll2] [roll3][roll4] [roll5][roll6] [roll7][roll8] [roll9]

For Battlefield Agility: Climb with rage. (1d20+7)
[roll10] [roll11] [roll12] [roll13] [roll14]

Update: Reason it doesn't match is because I had two 9th hour events, but since I don't know the terrain and was unsure if I could use my stealth bonus I went with the garaunteed better skill.

shugyosha
2013-01-18, 09:17 PM
Learned Adventure has no Linguistic check for deciphering text? Also since Spellcraft is used to identify magic properties and magic items as well as decipher scrolls would it be appropriate to use?

Do we make 5 check of each skill we have or choose our best skill and roll five times, or roll each skill once up to five skills (this one doesn't make sense since there are only 4 skills)?

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-20, 01:34 PM
In the posting over in the IC thread, I've laid out several "skill challenges" for each character to undertake. Here's how I'd like to run things:

1) Pick one challenge for Toilday for each hour. I.e. one from the first list and one from the second.
2) We'll conduct the "tests" for each in no particular order. Roll as ye may when ye may.
3) At the end of the "day", we'll tally and see where you might stand according to the larger field.
4) You can compete against each other. This isn't an elimination test.
5) I'll roll offline for the other 20 contestants. I'll share the more interesting results.

Sir, yes, sir. One from each list, then.

0900/Third Hour: Battlefield Offense
Rage, Charge, Power Attack. Using shield and scimitar. Knock that bugger Down with the Rage Power: Knockdown in the first round, if possible.
[roll0]
[roll1] Str check for Knockdown
2nd attack
[roll2]
[roll3]
3rd attack
[roll4]
[roll5]
4th attack
[roll6]
[roll7]
5th attack
[roll8]
[roll9]

*stupid of me. Damage bonus should have been a +8, because of Str +5, PA +2, weapon +1.

1500/Ninth Hour: Harder to choose, here.
Logic dictates taking off all loads and going Climbing with the Battlefield Agility. Senses of challenge and religion are demanding the Performance Art.

Question for the chief:
Would contestants for the Mind of a Champion event need to have come from the earlier non-physical challenges? Or can a challenger who'd gone through the break-dem-bones tests go against the flow and compete in this one as well as in the Stomach of a Champion event?

PowerGamer
2013-01-20, 06:48 PM
I keep seeing everyone rolling for contests now. When do you want us to do those? Now or later?

Drothmal
2013-01-20, 06:55 PM
I keep seeing everyone rolling for contests now. When do you want us to do those? Now or later?

Yeah, I was also under the impression that for now Storycrafter only needed the events we will be participating in, not the rolls....

Storycrafter
2013-01-21, 10:42 PM
I was just looking for the list of events, but let's let the rolls stand when it comes to them.

Storycrafter
2013-01-21, 10:48 PM
Learned Adventure has no Linguistic check for deciphering text? Also since Spellcraft is used to identify magic properties and magic items as well as decipher scrolls would it be appropriate to use?

Do we make 5 check of each skill we have or choose our best skill and roll five times, or roll each skill once up to five skills (this one doesn't make sense since there are only 4 skills)?

Yes, the intent on Learned Adventure was to test mostly your knowledge of items arcane, but I'll allow one of your checks to be a linguistics check.

The idea was that you could mix and match if you liked, or make all of the rolls the same roll (which is fine, but slightly less exciting). I realize that there are probably 1 or 2 skills which have higher rankings that others, so that if you're asked to make your best roll, you'll probably just roll that. That's fine. So at the very least, make your 5 knowledge checks of the same type. If your linguistics is better, I'll let you use that once (and let the other 4 rolls be the same knowledge check).

As an aside, I didn't want to turn this into a huge skill challenge with everyone waiting on rolls. I wanted to get a few skill checks out of the way early so we can determine some orders and field-wide rankings come Wealday, where you'll actually have to employ a little strategy in the "Champion" trials.

Storycrafter
2013-01-21, 10:50 PM
The directions mention "best melee attack". Something like shocking grasp could probably work, as would enlarging yourself so you could hit harder with a weapon, but something like scorching ray is probably right out. On the other hand, we're talking about a construct, so outright magic immunity isn't totally out of the question.

Yes, assume outright spell immunity. :)

So to be clear, the battlefield will be a test of arms only. Only solid weapons will be allowed. The judges can tell if you're cheating and slipping in some magic.

shugyosha
2013-01-21, 11:32 PM
The idea was that you could mix and match if you liked, or make all of the rolls the same roll (which is fine, but slightly less exciting). I realize that there are probably 1 or 2 skills which have higher rankings that others, so that if you're asked to make your best roll, you'll probably just roll that. That's fine. So at the very least, make your 5 knowledge checks of the same type. If your linguistics is better, I'll let you use that once (and let the other 4 rolls be the same knowledge check).


Not one to take the easy way or make it less exciting:

Learned Adventure
[roll0] Knowledge(Arcana)
[roll1] Knowledge (Dungeoneering)
[roll2] Perception
[roll3] Knowledge (Religion)
[roll4] Lingusitics

Arcane Mastery
[roll5] Concentration
[roll6] Concentration
[roll7] Concentration
[roll8] Concentration
[roll9] Concentration

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-22, 06:13 AM
Knowledge(Arcana), Knowledge (Dungeoneering), Perception, Knowledge (Religion). You are trying to decipher and describe several artifacts that will be presented to you.
*Ahem* Out of that list of "trained-only" skills I only have Knowledge (Arcana) trained, so you'll forgive me making things uninteresting. I'll throw in a Perception roll where it goes in the list, since that's not trained-only.

Knowledge (arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (arcana): [roll1]
Perception: [roll2]
Knowledge (arcana): [roll3]
Knowledge (arcana): [roll4]


For Arcane Master, you must make 5 SpellCraft, Sleight of Hand, Concentration checks, or Use Magic Device as you are subjected to several distractions and intense psychological pressure by several of Oppara's learned masters of arcane arts.
Pathfinder doesn't have Concentration as a skill, instead making it a caster level check. As such, I'll be eschewing it. Sleight of Hand is trained-only and I don't have it trained, so I'll be eschewing that as well.

Spellcraft: [roll5]
Spellcraft: [roll6]
Spellcraft: [roll7]
Spellcraft: [roll8]
Use Magic Device: [roll9]

Storycrafter
2013-01-22, 10:43 AM
*Ahem* Out of that list of "trained-only" skills I only have Knowledge (Arcana) trained, so you'll forgive me making things uninteresting. I'll throw in a Perception roll where it goes in the list, since that's not trained-only.


Fair enough. If there weren't a lot of things to go through, I might have taken more time with this phase, and made the rolls more interesting.



Pathfinder doesn't have Concentration as a skill, instead making it a caster level check. As such, I'll be eschewing it. Sleight of Hand is trained-only and I don't have it trained, so I'll be eschewing that as well.



Again, fair enough.


The Champion tests should be more interesting, I hope.

shugyosha
2013-01-22, 11:17 AM
Will there be time for role playing during the tests? I'd like my prissy elf to call foul on Vesper for bringing her books to the test.

For the record I'm fine with the books.

Storycrafter
2013-01-22, 12:38 PM
Will there be time for role playing during the tests? I'd like my prissy elf to call foul on Vesper for bringing her books to the test.

For the record I'm fine with the books.

Sure, we can do that. I was going to take more time with the Champion tests since they require a little more thought and strategy (and possible audience participation), but we can play through the lead up tests.

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-22, 01:08 PM
Sure, we can do that. I was going to take more time with the Champion tests since they require a little more thought and strategy (and possible audience participation), but we can play through the lead up tests.

Thankfully.

It seems my rushing to catch up has blundered me into rolling ahead of time, chief. Shall I have to withdraw those?

And my earlier question--- If I have Baqir go for the two Arena tests, does that mean he won't be able to qualify for the Mind of a Champion test? And since that one goes at the same time as the arena test, the Stomach of a Champion, will that then mean that he won't be able to compete in both of those?

Storycrafter
2013-01-22, 01:17 PM
Thankfully.

It seems my rushing to catch up has blundered me into rolling ahead of time, chief. Shall I have to withdraw those?

And my earlier question--- If I have Baqir go for the two Arena tests, does that mean he won't be able to qualify for the Mind of a Champion test? And since that one goes at the same time as the arena test, the Stomach of a Champion, will that then mean that he won't be able to compete in both of those?

Don't sweat these first tests -- they were simply used to create a ranking of sorts. If you've already rolled, we'll use the rolls you have and RP it appropriately for the brief time we'll be dealing with that day. If you haven't rolled already, you can save it for when we actually come to that day.

As for the "Champion" tests, they are scheduled to be mutually exclusive. If you'd like to find out more about what is involved with each of these tests to help you decide which, it may help to ask around.

shugyosha
2013-01-22, 03:21 PM
This is a table indicating who has made rolls.

{table=head]Character|Toilday 3rd Hour|Toilday 9th Hour|Wealday 3rd hour
Argle Tomik|
Ragnok the Wanderer|Learned Adventure |Battlefield Agility
Nyz "Lucky" Trever|Learned Adventurer |Performance Art |
Solion Ezekiel Luminor|
Kirito|Battle Offense |Battlefield Agility |
Templar Ulfram al-Baqir |Battlefield Offense |
Hale Akula|Learned Adventure |Arcane Mastery |
Noel|
Rubis|Battlefield Offense |Battlefield Agility |
Vesper Candeo|Learned Adventure |Arcane Mastery |[/table]

___________________________________________
Table update 1/23

Storycrafter
2013-01-22, 03:28 PM
This is a table indicating who has made rolls.

Awesome, thanks!

Drothmal
2013-01-22, 05:08 PM
Sorry for the delay. I will try to catch up with the IC and OOC posts soon.


This is a table indicating who has made rolls.

{table=head]Character|Toilday 3rd Hour|Toilday 9th Hour|Wealday 3rd hour
Argle Tomik|
Ragnok the Wanderer|Learned Adventure |Battlefield Agility
Nyz "Lucky" Trever|Learned Adventurer|Performance Art
Solion Ezekiel Luminor|
Kirito|
Templar Ulfram al-Baqir |Battlefield Offense |
Hale Akula|Learned Adventure |Arcane Mastery |
Noel|
Rubis|Battlefield Offense |Battlefield Agility |
Vesper Candeo|Learned Adventure |Arcane Mastery |[/table]

Nyz will be in the Learned Adventurer and the performance competition (I already edited the table)

As for the Competitions, it would seem that the best idea will be to roll now so Storycrafter has everyone's results ready. Like I mentioned before, I will be doing this in multiple posts as to optimize the use of Nyz's abilities

Learned Adventurer#1 (take best of 2)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Learned Adventurer#2 (take best of 2)
[roll2]
[roll3]

Learned Adventurer#3 (take best of 2)
[roll4]
[roll5]

Drothmal
2013-01-22, 05:19 PM
Awesome! That used 3 of the 5/day uses of the Prescience ability. I will use the remaining 2 for the first and last check of the performance competition. Following Zimmerwald's example, I'll mix things up and try one knowledge (let's say Dungeoneering for fun, but it's the same bonus for all the knowledges that matter)

Learned Adventurer#4
[roll0]

Learned Adventurer#5
[roll1]
[roll2] EDIT: Please do not count since I screwed up and rolled it twice. Fortunately the first roll was lower, so I'll just go with that

And now we get to the Part where Nyz is very good at: Perform (sing). On the first check, I'll also activate Inexplicable luck, bumping his performance to +23


Performance Check #1 (take best of 2)
[roll3]
[roll4]

Performance Check #2 = [roll5]
Performance Check #3 = [roll6]
Performance Check #4 = [roll7]

Performance Check #5 (take best of 2)
[roll8]
[roll9]


Tallied Results

Learned Adventurer: 25, 25, 22, 7, 10

@Storycrafter (only):
This is without any extra bonus modifiers from the gather Information done during the Saturday-Monday free time

Performance Art: 33, 32, 23, 32, 29

PowerGamer
2013-01-22, 07:47 PM
For the Battlefield Offense, you may roll 5 attacks with your best melee attack vs. AC 18. You must do 15 points of damage. You will be fighting arcane constructs created specifically for the purposes of this contest.

For Battlefield Agility, you will be dodging moving targets and fire. You must make 5 checks from the following list:
Acrobatics, Climb, Swim, Fly, or Ride. The DC is 18.

Battle Offense:Mw Rapier: +6, 1d6+2, 18-20/x2
Attack:[roll0] Crit Confirm:[roll1] Damage:[roll2] (12 due to crit)
Attack:[roll3] Crit Confirm:[roll4] Damage:[roll5]
Attack:[roll6] Crit Confirm:[roll7] Damage:[roll8]
Attack:[roll9] Crit Confirm:[roll10] Damage:[roll11]
Attack:[roll12] Crit Confirm:[roll13] Damage:[roll14]

Did well here :smallsmile:

Battlefield Agility:For flavor lets do a variety :smallcool:
Ride:[roll15]
Acrobatics:[roll16]
Climb:[roll17]
Swim:[roll18]
Acrobatics:[roll19]

Not so good...

shugyosha
2013-01-23, 07:18 PM
so far no Battlefield Accuracy or Master of Surprise

Drothmal
2013-01-23, 07:25 PM
so far no Battlefield Accuracy or Master of Surprise

Pretty much... As far as I can tell, none of the 9 builds consist on a solely-ranged build (Noel has some ranged capabilities, but the witch part seems to be the heart of the build)

Storycrafter
2013-01-28, 10:33 AM
Should we move on to the ceremony and get this show on the road? I want to give everyone a chance to check things out in the city and do any sort of investigation or socializing they may want to do before we begin the ceremony and move into the tournament proper.

stanleyindraven
2013-01-28, 10:44 AM
i say yes to that

PowerGamer
2013-01-28, 10:49 AM
Should we move on to the ceremony and get this show on the road? I want to give everyone a chance to check things out in the city and do any sort of investigation or socializing they may want to do before we begin the ceremony and move into the tournament proper.

yes, I'm ready. I think we've had our share of the social life :)

shugyosha
2013-01-28, 10:59 AM
move forward.

Drothmal
2013-01-28, 11:29 AM
+1 to moving forwards

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-28, 11:48 AM
Should we move on to the ceremony and get this show on the road? I want to give everyone a chance to check things out in the city and do any sort of investigation or socializing they may want to do before we begin the ceremony and move into the tournament proper.
See, here's the thing. This being Taldor, I'm sure there's an agenda or twelve going on in the background. By simply being here we're doubtless serving one or more of them and obstructing an even greater number. But where would one go to start an investigation? All the NPCs are either ones we've made up like Aether the tailor (I hope you don't mind, btw), or unlikely to know anything like the other champions, or completely unapproachable like the Bearded and Royals at the Grand Prince's table. On top of all that, Vesper is a bit of an introvert and is not likely to take the initiative in reaching out to other people. It's not a very productive combination.

So I guess yeah, moving on is probably for the best.

Storycrafter
2013-01-29, 07:36 PM
OK, so I'm waiting now on a few rolls outstanding. I'll start going through the rankings over the next day (Wed). If I don't see rolls from folks in the coming day or so, I'll have to assume that their performance was sub-par or that they decided to leave town under cover of night due to the pressure of the competition.

stanleyindraven
2013-01-30, 08:49 AM
my previous rolls count right?

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-30, 09:24 AM
Sir, yessir!

Obstacle Course, through... climbing?
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Reiteration of question to the chief: CAN we cross-compete? Like with that, his best fits all throughout are the physical challenges. However, could I also have him compete in the Mind of a Champion contest as well? If so, would that disbar him from the neighbouring Stomach of a Champion contest?

Storycrafter
2013-01-30, 10:23 AM
Sir, yessir!
Reiteration of question to the chief: CAN we cross-compete? Like with that, his best fits all throughout are the physical challenges. However, could I also have him compete in the Mind of a Champion contest as well? If so, would that disbar him from the neighbouring Stomach of a Champion contest?

You can't compete in more than 2, and you can't compete in 2 scheduled at the same time. The idea was that you had some choice, but not that you could compete in everything.

Don't sweat this first round of competition as far as final standing. This is just a prelude to getting you into the tougher champion trials and the final challenge.

zimmerwald1915
2013-02-03, 11:50 PM
Moonday's afternoon festivities are slightly more up-scale than the feast. A ceremony is held at the large arena in the Grandbridge district. The arena is filled to capacity as over 20,000 patrons, including many unbearded, of course, cheer the contestants on. The Grand Prince and his coterie
Was that last sentence supposed to continue?

Storycrafter
2013-02-05, 11:31 AM
Was that last sentence supposed to continue?

Wow, yeah, sorry. Not sure what happened there. I believe I meant to simply say that they were in attendance.

Storycrafter
2013-02-05, 11:33 AM
OK, my apologies for the long delay. I think I may finally have some things in balance between work, home, and new baby. I've had some time to think about what may be happening beyond the arena, so the delay may be good, I hope.

Storycrafter
2013-02-05, 11:09 PM
At this point, please post your preference for your first major test of skill (well, innate defensive skills, anyway).

The rough idea is this:

Each test is designed to be increasing challenging, and at each new station, a new "round" begins. You can go at any time, although formally, the order you are placed in will be the official order. It really shouldn't matter, though, in the end.

The idea for each challenge is this:
You will be presented with a test which will test your fortitude, reflex, or strength. Each new test will have a higher DC. If you fail 2 DC's in a row, you will fail the challenge altogether. You may stop at any point, and the level of test you stopped at will count as your final "score". You have one hero point that you can spend here, and you can spend it in the usual ways.

For the stomach challenge, you will be quaffing strange elixirs which may have affects on you. You will need to be able to prove that you have mastered the contents of each flask by standing still for 30 seconds after drinking. Passing out or walking off the field would be a failure. For the reflex challenge, you will be navigating an obstacle course on the deck of a rolling ship. Yes, the ship is in port, but it still rocks, regardless. Some of the tests may also have affects on you. And yes, the course has strange hazards and will be manned.

Similarly, for the mind test, you will be attempting to divine thoughts or concepts in each of the crystal balls, and while you are attempting that, your will will be tested by some unknown foreign agent. The resistance to the will challenge will get progressively more challenging, and may have (you guessed it), temporary effects as well.

The idea here is simple: go as far as you think you can go without failing too many times. The longer you last, the harder it gets, due to the increasing DC and any affects that you may incur. The effects are random, so when you do begin play, I'll describe each "round" in terms of the 3 different tests, and then you can make your 1 save (altered by your hero point if you choose). You can also roll a d100 to determine any side effects from your test.

The competition will be present and taking turns with you. I'll summarize a few of the results from your competitors as we go, so you'll have some idea on whether you should try to push farther or stop where you are.

Success (or failure) here is for you as an individual. Medals and honors will be given to you individually at the conclusion. After this, you will be organized into groups for the final "adventure" test, based on your performances.

First order of business is to announce where you are (you can RP this, of course), and once we have everyone at their particular place, we'll announce the "official" order, and I'll describe the first "test" for each of the 3 places.

Storycrafter
2013-02-05, 11:12 PM
A heads up, tomorrow (Wed) is an all day face to face meeting for my company, so I may not be able to reply until late tomorrow night.

Storycrafter
2013-02-12, 10:32 PM
Last call for "enrollment". The first round begins tomorrow.

zimmerwald1915
2013-02-12, 11:45 PM
Still here, still enthused.

Drothmal
2013-02-13, 01:24 AM
Still here, still enthused.

+1. Looking forward to the competitions!

Just to see if I understand the next challenge correctly, the test will be something like this (random numbers to make the point)

Station 1: DC 5
Station 2: DC 10
Station 3: DC 15
Station 4: DC 20
Station 5: DC 25

1) Roll for station 1 = 8
you pass, move to station 2
2) roll for station 2 = 7
You fail, you can either stay there or keep moving
If you decide to stay: You get 1 point for passing through 1 station
3) You decide to keep going
if you miss = you get 0 points
If you pass the DC= the number of misses resets to 0 and keep going till you lose twice or you give up

Is this all correct?

zimmerwald1915
2013-02-18, 07:25 AM
Sorry to be pushy, but is the game still active?

Miraqariftsky
2013-02-18, 07:49 AM
Sorry to be pushy, but is the game still active?

Probably? The chief had last logged in, according to his profile, on the 13th. One week, given his home situation, isn't all that long, I daresay.

~shrug~ Ragnok and Baqir are awaiting orders as well.

Storycrafter
2013-02-18, 07:44 PM
Sorry, yes I'm still here. This morning, I was seriously contemplating composing a message indicating I wasn't going to be able to continue. After essentially re-organizing every other rpg game I'm involved in, I'm thinking I'll keep this one. I just have to step up the posting rate myself.

To answer an earlier question -- it'll work something like this..

You'll be presented with a basic premise. A bottle with a certain label, an obstacle with a certain physical description, or a globe with a particular appearance. You will then engage with the device/drink/apparatus, and a scene will be presented (in your head, as it were). You'll be given a chance to react, which may give you some circumstance modifiers to your save. Then you roll your save. If there is a side effect at the conclusion of your "encounter", I'll let you know. If you fail, and you can decide to either stop there (and that would be your "tally" for the event), or risk moving on. Let's see if we can't get the contestants lined up and get the first challenge moving. Hopefully it'll sort itself out.

Storycrafter
2013-02-19, 12:23 PM
Yeah, this is all probably going to seem like SIAC. My apologies if you thought I were more original. I do think you could get quite original with how you handle the situation though, right?

PowerGamer
2013-02-19, 12:34 PM
For the drinking, you said the line was 2 big guys, a dwarf, and then me, Baqir and Ragnok... You said next after the two big guys drank... I'm lost to if the dwarf is a player or you are signaling me to go

stanleyindraven
2013-02-19, 01:06 PM
the dwarf went

PowerGamer
2013-02-19, 01:19 PM
the dwarf went

Ok, I missed that I guess :P

stanleyindraven
2013-02-19, 01:55 PM
cant wait to see how this plays out.

Storycrafter
2013-02-19, 02:11 PM
Sorry, yeah, Kirito's up.

Also, my apologies for being so long winded. I'll curb that here on out.

Also, to re-iterate, there are essentially just a few phases.

I'll describe a "scene"

First phase, you can react however you see fit.

Second phase, you'll roll a save with any modifiers

Third phase, roll a d100. That determines if there are any after effects. I'll let you know after your roll if there are.

After I describe the scene, please feel free to go in any order. The "scene" will be the same for all at that event, obviously. After the last person goes, I'll describe what happens to those behind in line, then present the next station.

stanleyindraven
2013-02-19, 02:13 PM
So should I post mine or wait until you respond or until the player before me replies?

Storycrafter
2013-02-19, 02:55 PM
So should I post mine or wait until you respond or until the player before me replies?

Sorry, I'll get you sorted out right quick. Lemme describe the "scene" (Kirito obviously already hit on it).

Storycrafter
2013-02-19, 03:11 PM
That's what I get for spacing out these posts... heh.

OK, the rest of you should have an idea about which each challenge is at each station. Obviously, there is a theme common among them. Knock yourselves out now that you know what it is you face.

You can go ahead and add your saving roll in ahead of time if you like. I'll add the modifiers in the responses, as I did with Kirito.

PowerGamer
2013-02-19, 04:55 PM
That's what I get for spacing out these posts... heh.

OK, the rest of you should have an idea about which each challenge is at each station. Obviously, there is a theme common among them. Knock yourselves out now that you know what it is you face.

You can go ahead and add your saving roll in ahead of time if you like. I'll add the modifiers in the responses, as I did with Kirito.

Phew... Thank you. I had fun trying to tie it in to SAO while making it original... But if it was a mirror image, well oops :P

here's that 1d100 you wanted [roll0]

Storycrafter
2013-02-19, 05:03 PM
But if it was a mirror image, well oops :P

Close enough :). Next time, I'll include the description of the challenge before calling "NEXT!", duh.

Drothmal
2013-02-20, 08:51 PM
Hi everyone

I'm still interested in playing, I'm jsut busy with work till friday

stanleyindraven
2013-02-20, 09:05 PM
oh here is my d100 [roll0]

zimmerwald1915
2013-02-21, 06:50 AM
Ah yes, I believe I owe you a d100 as well. [roll0]

Drothmal
2013-02-22, 08:06 PM
There you go. Once again, apologies for holding back the game.

Storycrafter
2013-02-25, 07:48 PM
There you go. Once again, apologies for holding back the game.

No worries. We can clearly see I'm still not up to posting 1/day as I intended, heh.

Drothmal
2013-02-27, 11:41 AM
Quick question for Storycrafter:

Are there any penalties from using damage spells in the shipyard trial? I would assume so, since Nyz got away with using a spell in the first round, but I want to make sure that using chord of shards (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/chord-of-shards) (a perfect spell against swarms) would not disqualify him.

Storycrafter
2013-02-27, 12:05 PM
Quick question for Storycrafter:

Are there any penalties from using damage spells in the shipyard trial? I would assume so, since Nyz got away with using a spell in the first round, but I want to make sure that using chord of shards (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/chord-of-shards) (a perfect spell against swarms) would not disqualify him.

Fire away. Creative spell work is encouraged, and they expect some level of repair to the test devices due to destructive sword work and arcane damage.

stanleyindraven
2013-02-27, 12:15 PM
Was my post sufficient? I figured you did a blanket everyone was okay because we didn't fail. Is the DC on challenge two Fort as well?

PowerGamer
2013-02-27, 01:36 PM
Was my post sufficient? I figured you did a blanket everyone was okay because we didn't fail. Is the DC on challenge two Fort as well?

Our drinking challenge is all Fort saves. I also believe we are still keeping the original order for simplicities sake. I could be wrong.

I suggest Adding more fluff to your posts. It's more fun that way.

stanleyindraven
2013-02-27, 02:13 PM
Sorry about posting out of order, but I was thinking we could post and then he would resolve what happens to us in a single post. I thought the Fort saves were the right ones. Also, because I was kinda trying to process as I posted I put in something a little short, and I can give a better post/edit the post in reaction to what happens with others.

Storycrafter
2013-03-06, 06:07 PM
Sorry about posting out of order, but I was thinking we could post and then he would resolve what happens to us in a single post. I thought the Fort saves were the right ones. Also, because I was kinda trying to process as I posted I put in something a little short, and I can give a better post/edit the post in reaction to what happens with others.

Out of order is just fine. I expected that. That way, the only one holding up the posting is..uh..me. And yeah, the door is pretty wide open to have fun with your reaction. This is all happening inside your mind, really, and you can go wild if you like. Your action was simple enough. We'll have to see in a moment if it was effective :)

At the "Stomach" tournament, it's all fortitude saves. Essentially, you're saving against poison, and your ability to mentally control some of the side-effects of the concoction will have an effect on your save.

The extra roll is to determine if traces left in your system cause you to have an allergic reaction (in your case), or something similar in the other tournaments.

On to the follow ups..

Drothmal
2013-03-06, 06:56 PM
@Storycrafter: I realized I never rolled a Reflex check for Nyz (kind of assumed that the spell would be enough)

In case you need one
[roll0]

EDIT: Well, let's hope the spell worked then :smalltongue:

Storycrafter
2013-03-06, 09:18 PM
Heh, yes, I need the roll every time. Your theatrics and actions are setting your scene for your conflict, and giving you circumstance bonuses for your rolls. These have been kinda cool here and there so the bonuses have been quite high so far.

I'm going to wait until tomorrow to post the next round and give Baqir one day to chime in.

PowerGamer
2013-03-12, 08:34 PM
Yay for moving on. Ok before I post anything in the IC I have some questions about the potion effects...


Approximately 15 seconds after you surmise your situation with the shadowy figure, you realize three things:
- You are tied, at the leg, to this other "creature"
- There is something very, very large, smelling of sulfur, and chortling quite loudly heading towards you.
- The thing that you are tied to is already trying to get away. In a direction away from you.


Does it always face the opposite direction that I do?
Does it only run forward?
Or does it mirror my actions in reverse?

Storycrafter
2013-03-12, 09:19 PM
Yay for moving on. Ok before I post anything in the IC I have some questions about the potion effects...


Yep, still trying to step my posting frequency up. I can't blame Nexus if I'm at like 1/week, heh. My apologies.



Does it always face the opposite direction that I do?
Does it only run forward?
Or does it mirror my actions in reverse?

It does not always run in the opposite direction, but it does have a mind of its own. At the moment, it has decided to run AWAY from the beast. You can try to run with it, but it's not an easy task, as you both have your feet bound. A bit like a 3 legged sack race. It will generally run forward. Again, think of it as another creature out to preserve its own skin. The trick is to either agree with its current lead and try your best to stay on your feet, or .... ??????

Unlike the earlier conjuration, this "thing" is not a mirror image of you. It's only just about your height and weight but in no other way really resembles you.

shugyosha
2013-03-13, 10:34 AM
yeah, mounting a horse while bound can't be easy either.

Anyway here are my rolls


[roll0] Will save
[roll1]

zimmerwald1915
2013-03-13, 10:48 AM
Huh, must have misinterpreted. I thought there was a fairly long length binding the doubles in the Basilica test.

Drothmal
2013-03-14, 01:25 PM
oops, it seems I'm one of the last ones.

I'll try to have a post soon, but I am a bit confused about the test: Are we supposed to survive for an x amount of time, run away or us survive while the dummy is destroyed?

I will assume the second one. Probably will use silent image to create a double that runs in an alternative direction

Now, for the rolls

Take the best of 2 (3/5 uses of the ability left after this roll)
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]

Drothmal
2013-03-14, 02:20 PM
Just in case it was not clear, the idea in my IC plan is to have the pursuing creature basically run off a cliff as it charges and rams mere illusions (a la Loki in the Thor/Avengers movies). The whole sulfur and flame thing makes me believe that water would not be the best environment for the creature.

Storycrafter
2013-03-19, 08:38 PM
Clarification: Yes the rope was some length. Perhaps 6 feet or so. Enough to mount a horse.

Rolls: I seemed to miss the final roll for Hale (it looks cut off)

Me: Got back from GaryCon this last weekend. Wow. I'm still exhausted and drained, but excited about future projects and gaming. Hope you guys had a good weekend.

shugyosha
2013-03-19, 08:41 PM
message 147 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14886946&postcount=147).

Storycrafter
2013-03-19, 09:02 PM
message 147 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14886946&postcount=147).


You're right. Absolutely missed those. Apologies.

PowerGamer
2013-03-19, 09:09 PM
SUPER SUPER Busy with my school's musical this week. (15 hrs at school at day) will try to post soon. Homework first

Storycrafter
2013-03-19, 09:16 PM
SUPER SUPER Busy with my school's musical this week. (15 hrs at school at day) will try to post soon. Homework first

You'll still beat me, I'm sure.

Having said that, hoping to move on to a little more adventure here, soon, so gonna try to pick up the pace with this part of the tournament.

Good luck with your school work. Soon -- summer!

PowerGamer
2013-03-19, 09:36 PM
You'll still beat me, I'm sure.

Having said that, hoping to move on to a little more adventure here, soon, so gonna try to pick up the pace with this part of the tournament.

Good luck with your school work. Soon -- summer!

Soon college!! Gahh distractions!! back too work

Storycrafter
2013-04-18, 05:34 PM
Sorry, haven't left ya, just crushed with work. Will update soon as I can.

Storycrafter
2013-04-30, 10:11 AM
Heh, that was no fun. Glad to see the board made it back!

Miraqariftsky
2013-04-30, 10:14 AM
Welcome back, chief.

shugyosha
2013-04-30, 10:48 AM
ready to go when you are.

zimmerwald1915
2013-04-30, 11:19 AM
Likewise. filler

Drothmal
2013-04-30, 04:17 PM
Kind of busy next 4 days, but I should be completely free after. Don't let me slow things down

stanleyindraven
2013-04-30, 05:18 PM
glad we're all here

PowerGamer
2013-04-30, 06:34 PM
I still here too

Storycrafter
2013-05-04, 05:45 PM
Going to try to regain momentum. Hate to say it, but that 4 or 5 day outtage kinda killed what little momentum I had and I'm finding it hard to get enthused enough to try to regain it. On that note, I think I may try to shake things up a little more than I was originally intending. Maybe up the stakes a little more.

stanleyindraven
2013-05-04, 08:50 PM
yeah, im okay with that, i was kinda lost on where things were going so a little shake would be good

zimmerwald1915
2013-05-04, 09:30 PM
Going to try to regain momentum. Hate to say it, but that 4 or 5 day outtage kinda killed what little momentum I had and I'm finding it hard to get enthused enough to try to regain it. On that note, I think I may try to shake things up a little more than I was originally intending. Maybe up the stakes a little more.
Aw, and we'd just stumbled onto some plot too!

That's alright, do what you gotta do.

Miraqariftsky
2013-05-05, 01:27 AM
Going to try to regain momentum. Hate to say it, but that 4 or 5 day outtage kinda killed what little momentum I had and I'm finding it hard to get enthused enough to try to regain it. On that note, I think I may try to shake things up a little more than I was originally intending. Maybe up the stakes a little more.

SHOOKA-SHOOKA-SHOOKA

Ahem. 'Tsalright, chief. Well understood,. Take your time.

Annnnnd Perception 15, you say?
[roll0]

Miraqariftsky
2013-05-05, 01:36 AM
Well, crap. Sorry. Forgot the other two rolls.
[roll0]
[roll1]

shugyosha
2013-05-22, 11:43 PM
So what's going on?

PowerGamer
2013-05-23, 07:48 AM
So what's going on?

I think the GM got too busy with the baby and the game fell apart :/

Storycrafter
2013-05-24, 03:10 PM
I think the GM got too busy with the baby and the game fell apart :/

Close. Home disaster and repair. And another disaster during the repair. Now I get a moldy, stinky basement for a few weeks. Yuuuummm.

My apologies for the downtime. I'm still in it if you guys are.

Nexus, I need a sense motive and perception check from you, please.

Jormengand
2013-05-24, 03:18 PM
Close. Home disaster and repair. And another disaster during the repair. Now I get a moldy, stinky basement for a few weeks. Yuuuummm.

My apologies for the downtime. I'm still in it if you guys are.

Nexus, I need a sense motive and perception check from you, please.

I could re-enter. I'm Solion, an inquisitor on a hippogryph, right? If someone could poke me to the IC and remind me where my character sheet is and how many times our party has prepared explosive runes between us, as well as what's actually happened, then I could work something out.

Storycrafter
2013-05-24, 03:26 PM
I could re-enter. I'm Solion, an inquisitor on a hippogryph, right? If someone could poke me to the IC and remind me where my character sheet is and how many times our party has prepared explosive runes between us, as well as what's actually happened, then I could work something out.

So good of you to re-join us, heh. I've probably lost at least one good fellow with my delay, so your participation may be necessary to keep everyone else alive. Er, did I say alive? I meant in good spirits.

IC Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15294266#post15294266)

Your sheet Here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=486904)

Original Cast (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14468318&postcount=143)

Miraqariftsky
2013-05-25, 01:07 AM
Close. Home disaster and repair. And another disaster during the repair. Now I get a moldy, stinky basement for a few weeks. Yuuuummm.

My apologies for the downtime. I'm still in it if you guys are.

Nexus, I need a sense motive and perception check from you, please.

Blazes, sorry to hear that, chief. You have my thoughts and prayers for your home and family's recovery and safety.

Crap-rolls for both Perception and Sense Motive, sir. 7 and 9, respectively. Heh-heh, wonder how that'll turn out...

Drothmal
2013-05-27, 10:18 AM
Sorry to her about the troubles at home sotrycrafter: hope things are better by now.

I'm still around, but work will prevent me from coherent posting for the next 2 days or so. After that, I can post often

shugyosha
2013-05-27, 07:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles although I love the intrigue you are creating, Storycrafter.

Perhaps we should get a head count of who is still around?

Miraqariftsky
2013-05-28, 09:26 AM
Ding-dong. Chiming in. Still quite interested. Still quite willing and able.

Miraqariftsky
2013-05-29, 02:46 PM
Koff? Everyone's take on the Splitting the Party situation? Y'all's opinions and suspicions regarding Iocor and Dat Diminutive Dame?

My take on the latter, certainly OOC: A botched Sense Motive and a "sincere" feeling, plus that wink? Something's fishy.


I've loaded up on protection spells and will be near-useless to either group should the meeting devolve into combat. If you want to split up the spellcasters, split up Hale and Nyz.
Hmm? Pretty sure nobody'll complain about some added protection spells? Why the worry over "near-uselessness"?

shugyosha
2013-06-03, 01:32 AM
Can someone remind me what city we are in. Thanks in advance.

zimmerwald1915
2013-06-03, 01:49 AM
The city's named Oppara. It's an ancient, somewhat blighted metropolis located on the River Porthmos in Taldor.

Miraqariftsky
2013-06-03, 01:58 AM
Oppara, yes.

Hmm? Blighted, you say? May I request our foremost lore expert to elaborate?

zimmerwald1915
2013-06-03, 03:07 AM
Hmm? Blighted, you say? May I request our foremost lore expert to elaborate?
Big and important as it is in the modern context of Taldor, it used to be bigger, richer, and more important. Accordingly, there is a lot of housing stock that is simply unoccupied because there aren't as many people as there used to be. There are other cities scattered around Golarion with similar problems, including Korvosa and Westcrown - interestingly, these are the sites of the two urban Adventure Paths.

shugyosha
2013-06-03, 09:59 AM
isn't Nex south of Oppara?

zimmerwald1915
2013-06-03, 10:03 AM
isn't Nex south of Oppara?
Yes - south by southwest, across the Inner Sea.

shugyosha
2013-06-03, 10:07 AM
just wonder why the silver nugget group thinks the princess is heading north to nex.

Storycrafter
2013-06-03, 10:37 AM
just wonder why the silver nugget group thinks the princess is heading north to nex.

Because she's a halfling, and as everyone knows, halflings think the world is upside down!


Honestly, it was a mistake in my description. She meant south.

Or did she?

Drothmal
2013-06-03, 06:21 PM
I'm just going to say this: With one faction wanting us to go north and the other south, I say West to abaslom or Andoran.

We should at least pool our resources to see if we can find out something about the kidnapping on our own...

Storycrafter
2013-06-03, 09:39 PM
Going West is always an option. "One day, on the way to Absalom, a funny thing happened....".

Also, searching for clues is certainly doable, of course.

PowerGamer
2013-06-04, 08:11 AM
Sorry for lazy posting I'm graduating high school today so things have been a little hectic and I got a little confused with everything going on IRL and IC :p I'll be fine though

Storycrafter
2013-06-04, 09:45 AM
Sorry for lazy posting I'm graduating high school today so things have been a little hectic and I got a little confused with everything going on IRL and IC :p I'll be fine though

Graduation on a Tuesday? Sounds like a progressive school :) Good luck!

shugyosha
2013-06-04, 11:36 AM
@Storycrafter: Hale is at the Hall of Music.

Storycrafter
2013-06-04, 11:45 AM
@Storycrafter: Hale is at the Hall of Music.

That'll teach me to give the party opportunities to split itself. I've edited the text to be the correct response from the correct speaker. Disregard what the halfling might have said.

Miraqariftsky
2013-06-04, 12:07 PM
Big and important as it is in the modern context of Taldor, it used to be bigger, richer, and more important. Accordingly, there is a lot of housing stock that is simply unoccupied because there aren't as many people as there used to be. There are other cities scattered around Golarion with similar problems, including Korvosa and Westcrown - interestingly, these are the sites of the two urban Adventure Paths.
Like late-era Constantinople in Byzantium?

Was it plague that did the former inhabitants in? Or the wars with Qadira and Cheliax? Or mass exodus for greener pastures?

Korvosa's got the Curse of the Crimson Throne. Which one's the AP set in Westcrown?


Graduation on a Tuesday? Sounds like a progressive school :) Good luck!

Sentiment echoed. Congratulations on the graduation, dude.

Question for ye, chief: Does Baqir also know that Kaer Maga is "a hive of scum and villainy, no law around except the rule of a hundred ganglords, where necromancers and undead walk freely, where trolls prophesy using their own guts" and other such "bazaar of the bizarre" matters?


That'll teach me to give the party opportunities to split itself. I've edited the text to be the correct response from the correct speaker. Disregard what the halfling might have said.

Koff. All due respect, sir, you didn't expect the party to try and figure out how to take a "third option"?

Storycrafter
2013-06-04, 12:17 PM
Like late-era Constantinople in Byzantium?

Was it plague that did the former inhabitants in? Or the wars with Qadira and Cheliax? Or mass exodus for greener pastures?
I believe it was the wars and corruption. I'm sure Zimmerwald will know more. It is precisely because of the war with Qadira that worhsip of Saranrae is all but officially forbidden.



Question for ye, chief: Does Baqir also know that Kaer Maga is "a hive of scum and villainy, no law around except the rule of a hundred ganglords, where necromancers and undead walk freely, where trolls prophesy using their own guts" and other such "bazaar of the bizarre" matters?

Although that kinda gets to local knowledge (which you didn't roll so hot on), I'd say that's probably pretty common knowledge. We can assume that he's at least heard those rumors.




Koff. All due respect, sir, you didn't expect the party to try and figure out how to take a "third option"?

Just trying not to lay rails too straight and narrow. Seriously, at this point, you won't offend me if you reject either or both offers and decide to follow up on clues on your own or even just head to Absalom. Of course, I'm pretty sure at least that both of these choices lead to Adventure!

zimmerwald1915
2013-06-04, 02:26 PM
Like late-era Constantinople in Byzantium?
Pretty much. It helps that Taldor is an out and out expy of Byzantium in nearly every conceivable way. On the other hand, it is Absalom that gets besieged every two hundred years or so.


Was it plague that did the former inhabitants in? Or the wars with Qadira and Cheliax? Or mass exodus for greener pastures?
I don't think there was a plague, but honestly I'm not sure. Were I put to it I'd probably guess mass exodus, because part of Oppara's decline was the change in the center of Aroden-worship from Oppara to Westcrown.


Korvosa's got the Curse of the Crimson Throne. Which one's the AP set in Westcrown?
Council of Thieves.

Drothmal
2013-06-04, 05:18 PM
Now that we have some clearly distinct options open, I suggest we discuss OoC what we would like to do as a group and chose our IC reactions accordingly. That way, we can expedite things by having one side agree to take the job and the other side saying "we will think about it"

The way I see it, our options are

1) Go with the Taldorian faction NORTH
-pros: This side seems to be more legit/in the up and up
-cons: weekly stipend of 50 gold a piece for your service

2) Go with the Andoran (?) faction SOUTH
- pros: 500gp upfront
- cons: shady faction + our "guide" might not want us to make the trip back

3) Wait for decision and try to do some information gathering and then decide

4) Go in a completely different direction

So... I'm going to be a total mercenary and say we go with the mission that pays 500gp apiece :smalltongue: (although I would still suggest we do some data gathering, hopefully greased by our new-found wealth)

Any other options/opinions? Nyz does not care either way IC, so if there is any IC reason why your character cannot chose an option, please say so.

zimmerwald1915
2013-06-04, 05:53 PM
1) Go with the Taldorian faction NORTH
-pros: This side seems to be more legit/in the up and up
-cons: weekly stipend of 50 gold a piece for your service

2) Go with the Andoran (?) faction SOUTH
- pros: 500gp upfront
- cons: shady faction + our "guide" might not want us to make the trip back
I'm not convinced these are two different groups. They've told us the same thing: that Taldor's authorities are following a false trail, and that the true one will lead us far, far away from Taldor and Qadira. They've offered us the same exact means to keep in contact with them. I'm also not convinced the group they're both part of isn't itself Taldan.

Storycrafter
2013-06-05, 11:21 PM
The way I see it, our options are

1) Go with the Taldorian faction NORTH
-pros: This side seems to be more legit/in the up and up
-cons: weekly stipend of 50 gold a piece for your service

50gp per person per week.

Drothmal
2013-06-07, 06:01 PM
50gp per person per week.

Fair enough, fair enough.

anyone else wants to share their ideas on what should we do?

Storycrafter
2013-06-17, 04:14 PM
Ping?

Did I lose you guys?

If you're not happy with where we're going, just let me know. I thought I would kick the danger up a notch and offer a few choices and a few mysteries. If you're more inclined to just re-group and move on to a new town, perhaps one not far from here with a lawless reputation, just lemme know.

PowerGamer
2013-06-17, 04:56 PM
I got a lil lost, waiting for the other half to finish negotiating

zimmerwald1915
2013-06-17, 05:01 PM
I got a lil lost, waiting for the other half to finish negotiating
We're done.

PowerGamer
2013-06-17, 08:13 PM
then I'm really really lost :P

shugyosha
2013-06-17, 08:15 PM
I believe we are heading back so why don't we role play the two groups getting back together and discussing what each has learned.

Drothmal
2013-06-17, 08:36 PM
I believe we are heading back so why don't we role play the two groups getting back together and discussing what each has learned.

Agreed. I was just waiting until Storycrafter "changed scenes"

PowerGamer
2013-06-17, 09:48 PM
getting together would help me a ton

Storycrafter
2013-06-17, 11:01 PM
I'm sorry, I figured when each group had gotten what they wanted to learn, they would meet backup somewhere and discussion options and choices. If you want, just stand still a moment and I'll jiggle the world-a-whirly-gig controls and see if i can't reorient the world around you to bring you back to a central place.

It's the latest rage in teleportation. You don't move to your destination -- your destination moves to you!

Drothmal
2013-06-18, 06:49 PM
I'm sorry, I figured when each group had gotten what they wanted to learn, they would meet backup somewhere and discussion options and choices. If you want, just stand still a moment and I'll jiggle the world-a-whirly-gig controls and see if i can't reorient the world around you to bring you back to a central place.

That seems like a good option. OoC, I don't mind going in either quest, but I think that IC there were just too many options available.



It's the latest rage in teleportation. You don't move to your destination -- your destination moves to you!

And here I though it was a niche market that would only be interesting to prophets and mountains :smallamused:


As always, thanks for the hard work. By the way, how's your kid doing?

Storycrafter
2013-06-19, 09:18 AM
That seems like a good option. OoC, I don't mind going in either quest, but I think that IC there were just too many options available.
Too many options is a bad thing? Doh!
It would be cool to see the group blow off the offers and just scour the countryside bringing justice and peace to lawless places. I think that was one of the original premises: wild west shootouts and battles at high noon. I can think of a few countries not far north that would be good for that.




And here I though it was a niche market that would only be interesting to prophets and mountains :smallamused:
Heh.



As always, thanks for the hard work. By the way, how's your kid doing?
He's awesome, thanks for asking. Growing like a weed A screaming, fidgety, ever-bringing-things-to-his-mouth weed.

Miraqariftsky
2013-06-19, 09:32 AM
Damned good chompy li'l bugger, ain't he?

And, options? Speaking for just yours truly, I wouldn't mind going to Kaer Maga. Friend of mine'd been singing its praises.

Regarding those two potential patrons, though I'm more taken with Lidda than Horace Wotisname [Sorry-sorry!], even just looking at their potential payout, the one who pays for the long-term seems more trustworthy. The one with the big lump sum smells of "Take this. Do this. Nice doin' business witcha. Buh-bye."

shugyosha
2013-06-20, 10:03 AM
So are we going to get together and discus what we found?

shugyosha
2013-06-25, 07:10 PM
Waiting for the results of the perception rolls.