PDA

View Full Version : Shara the Night Mistress

Cranthis
2013-01-03, 05:39 PM
So, In an upcoming campaign, we are using a homebrewed pantheon. My guy is going to worship "Shara the Night Mistress." The problem is, even our dm can't really stick an alignment to her. So, we are asking for your help! Here is here description:

The shadow is sacred.
All things in shadow remain in shadow.
All that is done in the shadow is just.
In the night blend with the shadow, in the day disappear.
Spread the shadow to consume the light.
Shara is a ____* deity, content to hold her domain during the night. She dislikes slavery, and wishes her followers to be free as darkness.

*alignment

That is all the info for now. If you need more, I can try and get it.

Mephit
2013-01-03, 05:46 PM
I'd lean towards Choatic Neutral. Neutral because there's nothing inherently evil about the night, and Chaotic because 'free as darkness' sounds anarchistic to me.

If she encourages her followers to commit evil acts to further her goals, she might slide down to CE.

Scarlet-Devil
2013-01-03, 05:47 PM
If her dogma states that everything "done in the shadow" is just, then I'm thinking chaotic evil. Chaotic because of the bit about freedom.

Certified
2013-01-03, 05:49 PM
If her dogma states that everything "done in the shadow" is just, then I'm thinking chaotic evil. Chaotic because of the bit about freedom.

Seconded, also, we're consuming the light in section five.

Cranthis
2013-01-03, 05:54 PM
I'm leaning towards Chaotic Neutral myself. She doesn't actually want to consume the light, its a metaphoric thing, as it also says she is content to hold her domain in the night. "All that is done in the shadow is just" is kinda iffy though.

Certified
2013-01-03, 06:01 PM
If I can make a suggestion then:

The shadow is sacred.
Seize the shadow to to spread it's beauty.
Live while you can, unfettered, free as darkness.

This rephrasing removes the more malicious sounding consume the light.

Carpe Noctem

Gildedragon
2013-01-03, 06:05 PM
TN, NE or CE depending on how she advocates the spread of darkness over the light

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-03, 06:06 PM
The shadow is sacred.
Spread the shadow to consume the light.
Shara is a ____* deity, content to hold her domain during the night. She dislikes slavery, and wishes her followers to be free as darkness.

"Consume the light" and "content to hold her domain during the night" seem mildly-to-completely contradictory. Not that some deities don't ever espouse illogical dogmas.

"All that is done in the shadow is just" sounds either evil or lawful, depending on exactly how this practice is carried out. If it grants lots of freedom to avoid morality as long as you are in the shadow, then that is evil. But maybe it's more about not judging people as long as they keep their private lives hidden, this could be more of a standard for judging others, which sounds lawful.

I would also point out there is nothing chaotic about not liking slavery. "Free as the darkness" is kind of too poetic; literally, the cost of darkness is the loss of light, sight, obfuscation of the true nature of things.

A bunch of self-contradictory precepts point to CN or N, systems that are ambivalent to the difference b/t good and evil and not particularly attached to a science of thought or system of logic (i.e., internally consistent beliefs).

hymer
2013-01-03, 06:08 PM
I'll third the CE (though I think a case could be made for NE or even LE). While Certified's suggestion would change that, I'm not sure OP is allowed to change a campaign's deity to suit his taste.
Anyway, there need not be any problem with a CN character worshipping a CE goddess, though he'd probably slip towards the dark side fairly easily.

Cranthis
2013-01-03, 06:08 PM
The shadow is sacred.
Seize the shadow to to spread it's beauty.

Ok, so the dm has agreed to change it to this, to get rid of the contradiction, and also bring it to chaotic neutral.

Mephit
2013-01-03, 06:09 PM
"All that is done in the shadow is just" is kinda iffy though.

It needn't be more evil than Fharlanghn favoring anyone who travels the road. Dogma's a funny thing, and can often be interpreted in many ways.

Deadline
2013-01-03, 06:10 PM
Everything save two items that you listed points to Chaotic Neutral. A couple of observations:

The first item is incongruent with the rest of your dogma. All of your dogma points towards personal freedom except for this. It seems out of place. Could you expand this point further?

The second item pretty much screams evil. At the very least, while it doesn't outright promote evil acts, it absolutely condones and justifies them, as long as they are done in shadow. I'd peg the good/evil axis as evil just for this one point. "Anything goes" is pretty much the bailiwick of Chaotic Evil, and "limiting" it to only certain lighting conditions does nothing to change that fact.

Certified
2013-01-03, 06:22 PM
Ok, so the dm has agreed to change it to this, to get rid of the contradiction, and also bring it to chaotic neutral.

Glad I was able to help.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-03, 06:24 PM
This kind of reminds me of Nocturnal (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Nocturnal) from Skyrim.

Xervous
2013-01-03, 06:33 PM
nonmandatory post about NE pelor

CN tastes quite sound my good chap.

Slipperychicken
2013-01-03, 08:08 PM
Are there any examples of her interference in the mortal world? Who are her champions, her enemies? Why are they so? What services does her church provide, if any?

Cranthis
2013-01-03, 09:10 PM
Its been resolved, the deity is Chaotic Neutral.