PDA

View Full Version : Spelltheif

PlusSixPelican
2013-01-03, 06:21 PM
I'm interested in what spellthieves *are*, because I've heard the class name floated around. What book are they from, and what can they do?

VGLordR2
2013-01-03, 06:24 PM
Here you go. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a)

sonofzeal
2013-01-03, 07:03 PM
"Rogues with less SA/skills, but magic-manipulation abilities in exchange."

Spellthieves are "weak" in that they don't do much by themselves. However, a Spellthief with Warlock or primary spellcaster allies can help magnify their strength, and against spellcasting enemies can often use that enemy's strength against them. More than any other class, Spellthieves excel in exploiting the situation around them and finding unexpected advantages. A well-played Spellthief can often be shockingly effective and fit into a T2 or even T1 party. A poorly-played Spellthief, meanwhile, might get shown up by a monk.

Play a Spellthief if you like Rogues, you like magic, and you pride deviousness and creativity over raw power.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-01-03, 07:16 PM
If you're going to dip a single level of Rogue on any build, replace it with a Spellthief dip. Just one level of Spellthief allows you to use wands of any Wizard spells from the schools of abjuration, divination, enchantment, illusion, and transmutation, just like a 1st level Ranger or Paladin can use a wand of any spell on their class list.

If you're going to multiclass arcane casters (Bard/something/Sublime Chord), a single level of Spellthief plus the feat Master Spellthief from Complete Scoundrel can do some caster level shenanigans. You can also use that feat to cast arcane spells from any class while wearing light armor, even spells from Wizard or Sorcerer levels, if that's what you're into.

I wouldn't bother taking more than one level of that class, due to its low power level and its dependence on existing in a high-power game (frequent enemy spellcasters with buffs to steal). Its power level relative to the rest of the game is inversely proportionate to the usefulness of its abilities.

gorfnab
2013-01-03, 07:22 PM
Spellthief Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44299)

sonofzeal
2013-01-03, 08:56 PM
I wouldn't bother taking more than one level of that class, due to its low power level and its dependence on existing in a high-power game (frequent enemy spellcasters with buffs to steal).
Note: if the party itself is high on spellcasters, that often works just as well. Spellthieves can do some major shenanigans with friendly spellcasters. For example, any Summon Monster or Summon Nature's Ally with an SLA becomes an infinite font of that effect for as long as the summon persists since stealing an SLA doesn't expend the uses per day from the "victim". This is quite useful with Druids who can summon Unicorns, turning a 4th level spell into a massive amount of healing with no additional resources expended, but also works with a wide array of other options. And Pelor help you if there's a Warlock in the party, because all its invocations are fair game too.

Finally, the "Trickster" variant (DM #311, I think?) is quite nice. It loses a lot of the Rogueishness, but in return gains Bardic spellcasting advancement, and adds all Bard spells to the list in addition to all the Sor/Wiz stuff that was already in there. Trickster Spellthieves are a valuable addition to most parties - if there's no casters they fill the utility-caster roll, and if there are casters then there's all sorts of synergies to find. They only fall apart if there's caster-ish characters who don't use spells or SLA's; I wouldn't take one into a Psi-heavy party, for instance. But my experiences with the class have been positive so far.