PDA

View Full Version : How do you summoners keep track of it all?

killem2
2013-01-03, 07:02 PM
I'm personally going into malconvoker but looking at all the variants of ways to summon monsters and the different types and lists, how in the hell do you keep track of it all and be speedy in combat (speedy as in dice rolling and such).

Any clever advice for it?

Xervous
2013-01-03, 07:18 PM
I use near exhaustive tables composed of all the utility summons for each level, along with the standard RIP YO FACE mobs. However, it took a while for me to build such a list. Just look through the available summons and pick out ones with useful abilities, and then once you've got your bases covered, shop around for the meatiest ones.

Unusual Muse
2013-01-03, 07:28 PM
I play a Malconvoker, and I mainly have Treantmonk's Mastering The Malconvoker (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872758/Mastering_the_Malconvoker) open. It's great because it gives suggestions for what to use in a given situation, and also organizes by available SLAs once you get to higher levels.

I also use a list of templated summonable monsters that use to be on the WotC boards but is not hosted there any longer; I'll see if I can track it down.

Grollub
2013-01-03, 08:39 PM
I play a Malconvoker, and I mainly have Treantmonk's Mastering The Malconvoker (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872758/Mastering_the_Malconvoker) open. It's great because it gives suggestions for what to use in a given situation, and also organizes by available SLAs once you get to higher levels.

I also use a list of templated summonable monsters that use to be on the WotC boards but is not hosted there any longer; I'll see if I can track it down.

This.. and print out stats for your "frequently summoned" monsters. When you have time go thru the lists in the above mentioned page, and print up the rest for "special circumstances". Index them all in a binder, and viola!

Ultimately, to be fully ready, takes alot of preparation time.

DarkEternal
2013-01-03, 08:49 PM
I made my own list of all the summonable things into a word file. Then again, I only played Malconvoker in a campaign up to level 5 spells, so yeah. You can keep a good check on the Summon Monster spells.

The Planar Binding-call outsiders though? That's tough.

Madara
2013-01-03, 08:56 PM
This.. and print out stats for your "frequently summoned" monsters. When you have time go thru the lists in the above mentioned page, and print up the rest for "special circumstances". Index them all in a binder, and viola!

Ultimately, to be fully ready, takes alot of preparation time.

Still not as much prep as GMing. Plus, your group will love you for it. When someone commits to such a build, they have to be prepared for the out of game prep, just like running any caster or an Artificer.

Unusual Muse
2013-01-03, 09:02 PM
I have the "Summoned Monster Stat List" thread that used to be posted on the WotC boards saved on my computer, but when I tried to post it inside a spoiler tag here it got rejected for being too long. If anyone knows a way around that I'd be happy to post it.

Tvtyrant
2013-01-03, 09:11 PM
My suggestion is to make them into cards. Stat block on one side, ability descriptions on the other and maybe a little picture beside the name.

Then you can flip through them easily.

Coidzor
2013-01-03, 09:15 PM
Mostly the same as druid wildshape forms, index or note cards, only more of them. With a sticker or highlighter mark or whatever for a bit of color to color coordinate them by role.

killem2
2013-01-03, 10:26 PM
I have the "Summoned Monster Stat List" thread that used to be posted on the WotC boards saved on my computer, but when I tried to post it inside a spoiler tag here it got rejected for being too long. If anyone knows a way around that I'd be happy to post it.

mm...

You can upload it to a regular site.

http://www.2shared.com/

should be more than enough for what you are doing, then just link to it

or if you prefer you can email to me. what ever works I would love to have it.

silverwolfer
2013-01-03, 10:30 PM
Take a picture of said Page you wish, upload it to your computer, then use your snip function to make a nice lil box, save the image and then make a stack you can print and keep in a neat order.

killem2
2013-01-03, 11:03 PM
I found this:

http://www.spellbooksoftware.com/d20/summons/index.html

I think it is just condensed versions of the srd stuff, no buffs, no non-ogl stuff.

http://mxyzplk.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/legal-3-5-summon-monster-list-v2.pdf

that is a pretty cool guide no stat blocks though. :smallannoyed:

Amidus Drexel
2013-01-03, 11:38 PM
Pretty much what's been already said; keep a folder or a binder with the stats of the things you summon (and maybe keep a separate spot for the things you summon more often).

My conjurer's still low-level, so I have a lot less to keep track of; you'll probably want a little more organization than "Just chuck it all in a folder." :smallwink:

killem2
2013-01-04, 12:02 AM
Pretty much what's been already said; keep a folder or a binder with the stats of the things you summon (and maybe keep a separate spot for the things you summon more often).

My conjurer's still low-level, so I have a lot less to keep track of; you'll probably want a little more organization than "Just chuck it all in a folder." :smallwink:

Yeah making cards won't be an issue for me, that link in my sig is my own custom made cube of proxies for MTG. Its just really annoying haha.

Unusual Muse
2013-01-04, 12:14 AM
Here's a link to an archived version of the Summon Monster Stat List (http://www.2shared.com/file/MwV9aIKF/Summon_Monster_Stat_List.html) I referred to above; it's a zip file containing the html version of the page, so you can easily print/copy/paste if you want to create reference cards, etc.

killem2
2013-01-04, 01:02 AM
Here's a link to an archived version of the Summon Monster Stat List (http://www.2shared.com/file/MwV9aIKF/Summon_Monster_Stat_List.html) I referred to above; it's a zip file containing the html version of the page, so you can easily print/copy/paste if you want to create reference cards, etc.

Unusual Muse, you are a God among insects.

SowZ
2013-01-04, 01:09 AM
I usually only have a couple of powerful creatures, not a lotof little ones. And I plan everything out beforehand.

killem2
2013-01-04, 01:12 AM
I will make cards for everyone to use when I am done that you can print out in a nice consildated pdf form. With updated Augementations.

It'll take a while, but I'll get it done.

Darth Stabber
2013-01-04, 01:23 AM
Still not as much prep as GMing.

Not necessarily. I barely even use stats as a gm, I mostly roll dice and see how I feel them. I let the players decide what they are going to try to do, and make up something to get in their way on the fly. This why i'm bad at dramatics, but pretty good at light hearted goofing around. Add to it that the party I am currently running is effectively the always sunny in philidelphia characters, it gets really amusing.

As far playing a summoner, the key is index cards with stats. I, rather hypocritically, require players to stat out any minions and/or summons and have them on hand. Anything you don't have stats for, you can't summon. I'll give you until the next session to stat up an animated corpse (since you'd didn't know beforehand what corpses would be available). It might not be hypocritical, since making it up as I go along and players having their stuff ready to go are both geared toward keeping it moving.

Endarire
2013-01-04, 01:33 AM
Greenbound and Ashbound Summonling List 1.33 (http://antioch.snow-fall.com/~Endarire/DnD/Greenbound%2C%20Ashbound%20Summonlings%201.33.zip) - I started this one.

Unusual Muse
2013-01-04, 01:45 AM
Unusual Muse, you are a God among insects.

The real credit goes to Treantmonk and ieattrollsforbreakfast for compiling those great threads. With both of those open on my laptop, my Malconvoker is flexible and ready for anything, with no prep time.

BTW... hard to go wrong with Fiendish Apes from SMIII. It's a combat staple. :smallsmile:

Paulcynic
2013-01-04, 05:03 AM
I'm personally going into malconvoker but looking at all the variants of ways to summon monsters and the different types and lists, how in the hell do you keep track of it all and be speedy in combat (speedy as in dice rolling and such).

Any clever advice for it?

This is the one that gets you into trouble, as I have learned the hard way ;)

My GM has 4 min +/- rule for all turns, and over the years our group has done its best to be efficient. We have done the following:

1. During the turn right before mine, I decide what my critters will do and preroll both the D20s, as well as the damage die (in case a roll is successful), and just present it at the start of my turn. If roll 1 hits, there's the damage. If roll 2 misses, the corresponding prerolled damage isn't applied. At level 11, I have 6 Tigers doing 5 attacks (3+2Rake attacks when they pounce), and so that would be 30 D20 rolls and an S-ton of D8s ;)

2. I have 5 full sets of each color. If need be, I pick up all of my D20's, and assign all the Yellow ones to this critter, all the Blue ones to this critter, etc, and perform a "Diceolanch" on the grid.

3. Doll out your summons to your fellow players, having them take control of a few of your critters, including roll the dice, but they do it during your turn so there are no turn conflicts. This spreads out the work, and everyone loves having an extra thing to do while waiting for their character to go next.

All are pretty straight forward, and as a Summoner you will be called "That Guy" with a capital Frown for taking so much longer than everyone else--oh, and for stealing the spotlight ;) Your critters will swarm over the battlefield eating everything in its path.

killem2
2013-01-04, 09:19 AM
This is the one that gets you into trouble, as I have learned the hard way ;)

My GM has 4 min +/- rule for all turns, and over the years our group has done its best to be efficient. We have done the following:

1. During the turn right before mine, I decide what my critters will do and preroll both the D20s, as well as the damage die (in case a roll is successful), and just present it at the start of my turn. If roll 1 hits, there's the damage. If roll 2 misses, the corresponding prerolled damage isn't applied. At level 11, I have 6 Tigers doing 5 attacks (3+2Rake attacks when they pounce), and so that would be 30 D20 rolls and an S-ton of D8s ;)

2. I have 5 full sets of each color. If need be, I pick up all of my D20's, and assign all the Yellow ones to this critter, all the Blue ones to this critter, etc, and perform a "Diceolanch" on the grid.

3. Doll out your summons to your fellow players, having them take control of a few of your critters, including roll the dice, but they do it during your turn so there are no turn conflicts. This spreads out the work, and everyone loves having an extra thing to do while waiting for their character to go next.

All are pretty straight forward, and as a Summoner you will be called "That Guy" with a capital Frown for taking so much longer than everyone else--oh, and for stealing the spotlight ;) Your critters will swarm over the battlefield eating everything in its path.

Sounds awesome, I can't wait :). My group is pretty cool about stuff, and when I was the DM i gave them plenty of time to do what they needed.

As far giving control of them, can I give control of it to someone else so they COULD use it on their turn?

Darth Stabber
2013-01-04, 11:57 AM

That is pure genius! Stealing that so fast.

killem2
2013-01-04, 02:13 PM
Ok guys, try these.

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/ica171/Shared%20GiantITP%20Stuff/?action=view&current=SummonMonster1_part1_zpse763b7b6.png

I pay for photobucket so that is a high resolution template I use for printing my magic cards, granted with black and grey text it is less flashy (though with time I suppose I could make bitchin cards).

If that doesn't work for downloading try this

www.2shared.com/photo/DUu6COJg/Summon_Monster_1_part_1.html

that's just a 9 of them so far.

I will be making non ogl stuff too, but I cna't give ya that with out getting in trouble but if you want the PSD for the printing template I can share that with ya :)

These include only Augemented Summoning changes, and that is to HP, skills, saves (if applicable of course), grapple, damage, ect.

Unusual Muse
2013-01-04, 02:15 PM
Ok guys, try these.

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/ica171/Shared%20GiantITP%20Stuff/?action=view&current=SummonMonster1_part1_zpse763b7b6.png

I pay for photobucket so that is a high resolution template I use for printing my magic cards, granted with black and grey text it is less flashy (though with time I suppose I could make bitchin cards).

If that doesn't work for downloading try this

www.2shared.com/photo/DUu6COJg/Summon_Monster_1_part_1.html

that's just a 9 of them so far.

I will be making non ogl stuff too, but I cna't give ya that with out getting in trouble but if you want the PSD for the printing template I can share that with ya :)

That's awesome! Thanks for posting... can't wait to see the rest of them!

killem2
2013-01-04, 02:43 PM
Funny thing, I think the srd, website linked above, and the actual MM1 book, has something off the monstrous scorpion. it gives it a +1 to attack, to dmg, and all that, with a 9 strength with no explanation for it. By raw, this little guy is just a tad better than RAI.

Oh well. Our gain.

Finished OGL Summon Monster 1.