PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Flexible Grammar: A Words of Power fix

Draxar
2013-01-03, 09:11 PM
Flexible Grammar: A Words of Power fix

Words of Power (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/words-of-power), from Paizo's Ultimate Magic is an interesting system, with a cool concept - flexible casting, putting together your own spells. And there is some interesting flexibility in the system, some real benefits for using it. But overall, it feels considerably weaker than the base casting system, only taking if you're absolutely in love with its flexibility, or want a challenge.

This fix is not going to entirely fix that; to do so would require more utility effects and a rebalancing of some effects. What it should do, however, is make it a bit more powerful, and a noticeable chunk more flexible.

It essentially comes from me getting annoyed at quite a few words being limited to emulating their non-WoP equivalents more than they need to - why is detect magic limited to a cone (and a 10ft one if I want it to remain a cantrip, rather than the 60ft everyone else gets).

The flexibility of word magic should allow me to use it with the Selected target word, letting me look at a specific enemy a bit further away, a reasonable recompense for having a sixth of the range of a 'normal' caster's detect magic. And that's the principle of this fix; loosening target word restrictions where they seem too harsh. I understand that some things need to be single target, but I think most area/multitarget attacks can be any of the areas. Generally I'll be loosening them to anything if I think that'd not cause a problem, occasionally it'll require a boost or extra levels if I think it'd be too powerful otherwise.

At the moment, these are just my initial thoughts; I'm very much after feedback on what seems over/underpowered amongst 'em, though I'll note I'm not trying to totally fix WoP, just make them a bit better.

Stuff I'm especially unsure of, and would appreciate feedback on is in italics.

ACID WORDS

Corrosive Bolt
Boost: This effect word may be used with any target word. Boosting this word this way raises its level by two. If any target word other than Selected is used, the ranged touch attack is replaced by a reflex save for half damage. The initial effect is instantanous - there is no lasting AoE (even if used with the Wall target word), the later damage comes from acid on each individual affected.

Additionally, any target that makes this save does not take any damage from the later round(s) of effect of this spell OR The damage dealt in later rounds is also halved if the targets make their save.

Caustic Cloud
This effect word may use the Barrier, Burst, Cone, or Line target words.

COLD WORDS

Winters Wrath
Boost: This effect word may use the 'selected' target word, at which point a small but intense blizzard will stay on the target for the duration, affecting them and anyone in their space.

COMMAND WORDS

Complex Order
Boost: This effect word may use any target word. Boosting this word this way raises its level by three.

Crushing Will
Boost: This effect word may use any target word. Boosting this word this way raises its level by three.

DESTRUCTION WORDS

Rumble

Catastrophe

DETECTION WORDS

Detect Magic
This effect word may any effect word.

Sense Alignment
This effect word may any effect word.

Sense Thoughts
This effect word may use the Selected, Barrier, Burst, Cone, or Line target words.

Sense Hidden
This effect word may use the Selected, Barrier, Burst, Cone, or Line target words.

DISPELLING WORDS

Negation

ELECTRICITY WORDS

Ball Lightning:
Boost: This effect word may use the Barrier, Burst, Cone, or Line target words. Boosting this word this way raises its level by two OR three.

FEAR WORDS

Spook
Boost: This effect word may use the Barrier, Burst, Cone, or Line target words. Boosting this word this way raises its level by one.

Horror
Boost: This effect word may use the Barrier, Burst, Cone, or Line target words. Boosting this word this way raises its level by two.

FORCE WORDS

Force Bolt
Boost: This effect word may use the Barrier, Burst, Cone, or Line target words. Boosting this word this way raises its level by two. If any target word other than Selected is used, the ranged touch attack is replaced by a reflex save for half damage.

ILLUSION WORDS

Glimmering

ILLUMINATION WORDS

Radiance

Gloom

Sunshine

SONIC WORDS

Destructive Vibration

WALL WORDS

Apply to all:

This effect word may use the Barrier, Burst, Cone, or Line target words. However, its area of effect must be in contact with the ground under the same rules as apply to the Barrier target word. (The height of these effect words is also only 10 foot)

WEATHER WORDS

Fog Bank

Wind Blast
This effect word may use the Barrier, Burst, Cone, or Line target words. For the purposes of knockback, if the Cone or Line target word is used, the knockback is relative to the caster, if the Burst target word is used, it is relative to the centre of the burst, and if the Barrier targe word is used it is relative to the centre of the wall; a creature standing in a 5 foot wide wall has an equal chance of being thrown either direction.

Blizzard

-----------------

The one place I'm a bit unsure is with the Wall effect words; whether they need the 'must stay in contact with the ground' rule, and if their AoE should be treated as their 2D shape, 10 foot high.

Another change that may be worth making is removing the need to use a Boost meta word to access the larger AoEs for the Burst, Cone, and Line target words. It does seem a little weak to have your level 9 spell only affecting a 10ft radius/cone unless you use a meta word on it. OTOH, some of the other meta word effects are pretty handy, so that limitation may be needed as a 'tax' on meta words so you don't have too many.