PDA

View Full Version : Druid "Theurge"

SirAxealot
2013-01-03, 09:18 PM
I'm working on a PrC already that's a druid mixed with barbarian to get a raging wildshaper who does damage and tanks, and I was thinking about making a counterpart that focuses less on individual power and more on working with the rest of the group, be it as a leader, buffer, healer, or some other role. Question is, what to mix with a druid that will help it out? This class would ideally still be pretty powerful, even if it gives up animal companion, spontaneous summons, both, or something else. Gotta give people a reason no to go Druid 20 after all!

This PrC should be good in melee.

Give me any suggestions you have - base classes, PrCs, ACFs, whatever. All useful for inspiration. : )

Thoughts so far -
Bard - I know fochlucan lyricist and green whisperer exist, but it's still a potential mixer.
Ranger - not sure how this would mix to get what I want, since I'm not very familiar with rangers, but as one of the three core nature-focused classes it might have something
Cleric/cloistered cleric - good buffers and healers, more potential with PrC's added in.
Knight - everyone says it's terrible, but it might have an ability or two to tak inspiration from
Crusader - tanky, ally-helping goodness
Truenamer - just kidding

[This isn't actual homebrew design, so I figured it should go here]

Coidzor
2013-01-03, 09:21 PM
Well, depending upon how much you want to crib from Pathfinder and how much you like the idea of temporarily granting feats and teamwork feats, there might be some sort of reverse inquisitor/marshal route there.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-01-03, 09:53 PM
Druidic Avenger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druidVariantDruidicAve nger) already gets 20/20 Barbarian Rage and only sacrifices its animal companion.

SirAxealot
2013-01-03, 10:08 PM
Well, depending upon how much you want to crib from Pathfinder and how much you like the idea of temporarily granting feats and teamwork feats, there might be some sort of reverse inquisitor/marshal route there.

Not all that familiar with Pathfinder. Temporarily granting feats seems like it might be a pain to work with in combat - do they play smoothly?

Druidic Avenger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druidVariantDruidicAve nger) already gets 20/20 Barbarian Rage and only sacrifices its animal companion.

I'm aware of that and it's irrelevant, since I'm already thinking about this second class.

Coidzor
2013-01-03, 10:36 PM
Not all that familiar with Pathfinder. Temporarily granting feats seems like it might be a pain to work with in combat - do they play smoothly?

I'm aware of that and it's irrelevant, since I'm already thinking about this second class.

Inquisitors do play pretty smoothly, but they're less buffing and more can benefit from a set of bonus teamwork feats even if their other party members don't have them and have one which is semi-floating which they can change to a different teamwork feat every so often. So flipping that around and maybe tying it to something like an aura mechanic would be one potential avenue to consider if you wanting a buffing-supportive role. Spells, Auras, and Bardic Music are the main vehicles I can think of for really delivering a buff to one's allies...

Heartfire Fanners are the only ones I know of that actually temporarily confer feats onto others, and they basically treat it as an add-on to bard song/inspire courage IIRC.

SirAxealot
2013-01-04, 12:21 AM
It doesn't have to be feat transferral, though that's a neat thing to do. Any other ideas?

I was thinking about something where you can get some form of buff for you and your party when one of you is wounded or killed.

SirAxealot
2013-01-04, 09:10 PM
Heartfire fanner looks pretty neat, I'm working on an idea that's based on that. Any other suggestions?

Coidzor
2013-01-04, 10:49 PM
If you're familiar with Magic of Incarnum you could take a look at soulmelds that would be nifty to be able to share temporarily, though specifics of how to regulate that don't spring to my mind.

If Tome of Battle is something that's not too widely used you might also consider a martial adept that specializes in white raven and a smattering of other schools, possibly homebrewed ones that jump out at you or one that's even closer to what 4e leaders like the warlord can do, and can extend the benefits of their stances and temporarily expend a maneuver to allow an increasing number of allies to be able to use it instead.

This is all off of the cuff and fairly intensive though, rather than carefully conisdered and readily implemented as-is.

SirAxealot
2013-01-04, 11:45 PM
I'm not familiar with incarnum, but I can check it out.

The first PRC I'm working on is already a limited initiator, so I was thinking to make this something different. Extending stances to allies is exactly the sort of idea I was looking for, might make it have very limited maneuver progression but quite a few stances. Brilliant!

I'm mainly looking for flavorful, interesting ideas. It can be a new thing entirely or a cool twist on something established - I can rewrite the flavor however I like.

Thanks for the stance idea again!