PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 homebrew my little pony timberwolf (PEACH)

ArkenBrony
2013-01-03, 09:27 PM
you may notice that this is very similar to a winter wolf, as that was the base for the monster. after seeing spike at your service, i started formulating what a timberwolf's stats would be in D&D, so i decided to make one. I decided not to add in the fusion at the end of the episode to its abilities, if someone wants to recommend the changes to make for that, be my guest, but I am not up for doing it on my own. so i present to you, the timberwolf!

Timberwolf
Medium Construct (Augmented Magical Beast)
Hit Dice: 2d10+20 (31)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft
Armor Class: 17 (+2 dex, +5 natural) touch 12, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Trip
Special Qualities: Construct Traits, Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision, Forest Regeneration 5, Scent, Stinking Breath, Vulnerability to Fire
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 15, Con -, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +3, listen +2, move silently +3, spot +2, survival +2
Feats: weapon focus (bite), TrackB
Environment: forests, especially dark, enchanted ones
Organization: solitary, pair, or pack (3-5, with the lead timberwolf being 4-6 HD, and therefore large)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: 1/10 coins, 50% goods, 50% items
Alignment: usually neutral evil
Advancement: 3 HD (Medium), 4-6 (Large)
Level Adjustment:-

This creature looks like a wolf that was sculpted out of the pieces of tree. it stands 4 feet tall, and its putrid breath persists in your nose

construct traits a Timberwolf gains several (but not all) traits of a construct. a Timberwolf is immune to poisons, sleep effects, disease, death effects, necromancy effects, ability damage, ability drain, and effects that require a fortitude save (unless they affect constructs or are harmless). cannot be raised or resurrected, and is destroyed at 0 hit points, it also does not need to eat, sleep, or breath. unlike normal constructs it is not immune to mind-affecting effects, is subject to critical hits and nonlethal damage, and energy drain, and can still be killed with massive damage.

Trip (Ex) A Timberwolf that hits with a bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+2 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. if the attempt fails, to opponent cannot react to trip the Timberwolf.

Forest Regeneration (Su) slashing, fire, and acid deal normal damage to a Timberwolf. if a Timberwolf loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 minutes. the creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it up to the stump. a Timberwolf who is knocked out by non-lethal damage separates into the twigs and branches that it is made out of, and does not reform until restored to full hit points, however, it can be disrupted by either destroying all of the component parts (usually done by burning the entire square until all is destroyed).

Stinking breath (Ex) Although timberwolves are good hunters and hard to see or hear, they are often easily given away by their rancid breath. Anyone within 100 feet of a timberwolf can recognize its smell with a successful DC 15 Knowledge (nature) check recognize the smell. This grants a +4 Circumstance bonus to Spot and Listen checks to notice timberwolves.

Skills: a timberwolf receives a +2 bonus to hide in forests
a Timberwolf has a +4 bonus to tracking when using scent

Saidoro
2013-01-03, 09:41 PM
You do know that there's a Plant Type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#plantType), don't you?

ArkenBrony
2013-01-03, 09:49 PM
i am familiar with that, but plant type to me would be an actual living plant, Timberwolves always struck me as forest spirits that telekinetically bound the wood together into a tangible form so they could kill, which actually gives me an idea for a class, but that's for later

ArkenBrony
2013-01-03, 09:57 PM
whoops, forgot skills! fixed!

ZippoMoon
2013-01-04, 01:29 AM
Hey Zetsu!

http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/60953-Shadow%20of%20Death/953/6/welcome_to_the_herd_display.png

RedWarlock
2013-01-04, 01:33 AM
If the fey type's HD and qualities didn't stink so much, they'd be perfect as fey.

Debihuman
2013-01-04, 02:30 AM
You might want to consider giving it the Augmented Subtype (Augmented Construct).

For creatures that have AC akin to wood, their AC bonus is a bit too high. Wood has a Hardness of 5 so I would change it from +11 natural to +5 natural.

Otherwise, these look really good.

One other thing: Int 9 indicates these should have a language.

Debby

DracoDei
2013-01-04, 11:54 AM
I was actually considering making these myself.

Little Ponies are Small in my book (Big Mac, Royal Guards, etc are Medium, or maybe have Powerful Build). Thus I would make them medium (base them on normal wolves).

I'd actually drop the DR.

Consider replacing Rejuvination with Regeneration 5 overcome by slashing, fire, and acid and just note the fluff that being knocked out by subdual damage equates to having the pieces scattered.

Maybe fire

Agree that fey sounds like "nature spirit", but the HD and BAB problems are non-negligible.

Do they need to drink?

As a fan of making the crunch match the fluff, CONSIDER putting something in about the strong smell tending to ruin their chances at surprise (they might easily get a surprise round, but you will know they are in the area). Not sure about it having a mechanical nauseating effect.

ArkenBrony
2013-01-04, 05:33 PM
You might want to consider giving it the Augmented Subtype (Augmented Construct).

sounds like a plan, what would that give by RAW?

For creatures that have AC akin to wood, their AC bonus is a bit too high. Wood has a Hardness of 5 so I would change it from +11 natural to +5 natural.

well, you are probably right, but treants get a +17 to natural armor, so i wasn't sure

Otherwise, these look really good.

One other thing: Int 9 indicates these should have a language.

winter wolves don't indicate having a language either, but i think this might be better with animal Int

Debby

I was actually considering making these myself.

Little Ponies are Small in my book (Big Mac, Royal Guards, etc are Medium, or maybe have Powerful Build). Thus I would make them medium (base them on normal wolves).

i briefly debated this, and maybe it is the way to go, i just wanted to start at large because i imagined it would be used in campaigns where the pcs are medium, but it shouldn't be a big deal to change to medium

I'd actually drop the DR.

that was thrown on at the last minute to simulate the hardness of wood, but as a pieced together creature where you break it apart as opposed to breaking the pieces, i guess it would make sense to change

Consider replacing Rejuvination with Regeneration 5 overcome by slashing, fire, and acid and just note the fluff that being knocked out by subdual damage equates to having the pieces scattered.

also debated this, i guess i thought that they didn't heal as they were injured but after they died, though i guess they were all downed in one hit so there was no way to show this

Maybe fire

wut?

Agree that fey sounds like "nature spirit", but the HD and BAB problems are non-negligible.

i agree

Do they need to drink?

as built yes, as thought up in head, no

As a fan of making the crunch match the fluff, CONSIDER putting something in about the strong smell tending to ruin their chances at surprise (they might easily get a surprise round, but you will know they are in the area). Not sure about it having a mechanical nauseating effect.

sounds good to me

thanks for the peaching, will implement these changes tonight or tomorrow, i've got quite a bit to do, and to keep the ideas fresh in my head, and for you alls reference i will change:

-augmented construct
-lower armor
-lower Int
-medium
-drop Dr
-rejuvination into regeneration
-change immunities
-remove stench, but give reason for it to be unable to surprise

DracoDei
2013-01-04, 05:44 PM
None of them were ever injured without being scattered I don't think.

As for what I ,meant by "maybe fire", I can't remember exactly, and so I think we can safely ignore it.

For medium creatures just use a larger pack, perhaps lead by one with increased HD that bumps it up to Large.

Speaking of which, bonus points if you write rules for the formation of the the "King Wolf" from the finale (ignore how it was defeated, that was stupid from a D&D POV).

ArkenBrony
2013-01-04, 07:32 PM
None of them were ever injured without being scattered I don't think.
right, because applejack was too much of a BAMF to not kill them in one hit each, so i will change that

As for what I ,meant by "maybe fire", I can't remember exactly, and so I think we can safely ignore it.
ok

For medium creatures just use a larger pack, perhaps lead by one with increased HD that bumps it up to Large.
sounds good

Speaking of which, bonus points if you write rules for the formation of the the "King Wolf" from the finale (ignore how it was defeated, that was stupid from a D&D POV).
that will be difficult, but i am up to trying

Mystic Muse
2013-01-04, 07:43 PM
I have two things to say.

1. Definitely using these in the pony D&D game I'm running.

2. I love your avatar, Zetsu. :smallbiggrin:

ArkenBrony
2013-01-04, 08:38 PM
Edited the monster

I have two things to say.

wonderful!!

2. I love your avatar, Zetsu. :smallbiggrin:
found it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14426780&postcount=1109), i will add that to my sig

DracoDei
2013-01-04, 09:42 PM

Ok, if you do so, do the RIGHT thing, the POLITE thing (even though almost nobody does it in my experience).

Pay attention during the encounter. Take notes if necessary. Don't throw out any scrap paper you use for the encounter.
After the encounter, or maybe at end of session, ask the players each for their thoughts on the monster.
Come here ASAP, before everything fades from your mind (alternatively write up your notes soon and do the rest later.
If it is within the "Necromancy Limit", reply with your findings to this thread. If it is longer then that, send your findings to zetsu1919 via PM.

It is what Rarity would do (and Twilight, but for different reasons).

To zetsu1919:
I really think that slashing damage should be lethal... or at least half of it. That helps keep the CR down and is flavorful. I can see why you wouldn't want to include that part, but...

ArkenBrony
2013-01-04, 09:56 PM
i took a long think about slashing, and i decided to change it.

Debihuman
2013-01-04, 11:24 PM
Base attack is +1 not +2, attack should be +4 melee and Track should be a bonus feat. It's a little weird to use a Knowledge check to smell something. This might be more appropriate:

Stinking breath (Ex): Although timberwolves are good hunters and hard to see or hear, they are often easily given away by their rancid breath. Anyone within 100 feet of a timberwolf can recognize its smell with a successful DC 15 Knowledge (nature) check recognize the smell. This grants a +4 Circumstance bonus to Spot and Listen checks to notice timberwolves.

You also might want to give the timberwolves a +2 racial bonus to Hide in Forests.

Debby

ArkenBrony
2013-01-05, 07:59 PM
changed, but the construct thing was a mistake, i wanted it purely magical beast

Debihuman
2013-01-05, 08:54 PM
If it is a pure Magical Beast, why then do you give it Construct traits? That's why the Augmented Construct subtype makes more sense. It apparently has the HD and bonus hit points as a Construct and is lacking a Con score like a Construct. Technically, this violates a lot of rules that just adding the appropriate subtype would fix. The subtype technically does not add anything to the creature but would explain which features of Constructs it has.

Debby

ArkenBrony
2013-01-05, 10:12 PM
i had a reason for what i did that i can't remember, so i made the changes, with a few alterations to the construct trait to make what i want to work

RedWarlock
2013-01-05, 10:23 PM
Nah, Augmented is really the domain of templates. (Augmented doesn't mean anything specific, aside from that a given creature counts as whatever its previous type was before a template, there are no inherent traits granted for saying 'augmented'.)

There's no problem with just specifying some traits to have, if the author only desires specific ones.

What you might consider doing is having it count as multiple types for specific purposes. Is it a construct, who counts as magical beast for wild empathy? Or maybe a magical beast, with explicit immunities like a construct.

Non-ability scores and immunities are default for certain types (but not always, like with warforged), but you can also say that a given creature of any type just *has* certain non-abilities. As long as you itemize everything as a listed exception to the norm, YOU are the author, and can tell the type system to sit down and shut up. :smallwink:

Debihuman
2013-01-05, 10:46 PM
BAB is that of Magical Beast and should be that of a Constructs since that is how you are presenting it.

The choice is yours, but pick one and stick with it.

Construct Features

10-sided Hit Dice.
Base attack bonus equal to ¾ total Hit Dice (as cleric).
No good saving throws.
Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the construct has an Intelligence score. However, most constructs are mindless and gain no skill points or feats.

Magical Beast Features

10-sided Hit Dice.
Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (as fighter).
Good Fortitude and Reflex saves.
Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.

Debby

ArkenBrony
2013-01-05, 11:57 PM
as an augmented magical beast, it gets the magical beast features, which i have given it

Debihuman
2013-01-07, 10:48 AM
The Augmented Subtype gives it TRAITS not FEATURES. If it is a construct with a construct's features then it should have a contruct's BAB. You were far more correct when this was a Magical Beast with Construct traits.

Debby

ArkenBrony
2013-01-07, 06:22 PM
the augmented subtype says the traits of the current creature type, but the features of the original, features are things such as hit dice, skill points, BAB, and saves