PDA

View Full Version : Favorite wildshape forms?

Immabozo
2013-01-03, 09:49 PM
My favorite was the progression from Troll, to Cave Troll, to War Troll, with a form for running away as an abebil, (90 fly speed is nice!) and then a wil-o-wisp (fly speed you 50ish, but invis at will? Also nice for scouting or hiding, was a fun form for getting revenge on a party member that pissed me off, flying invis into his pack and then turning into a large troll)

Unfortunately, I never got the character beyond level 12, so I never found a favorite form beyond war troll.

There was a super cheese one that is, per RAW, questionable, but not outright against the rules, nor following the rules, but no DM in their right mind would allow it. I forget the creature's name, but it has an extraordinary ability (which wildshape grants) to eat so many HD worth of intelligent creatures, or so many more of unintelligent creatures, and gain HD and all the level dependent bonuses with gaining the HD, in addition two evolving from lesser, through 2 other forms, to greater with a maximum HD gained in this fashion of 18. It was super cheese McCheesy idea, but a funny one none the less.

Snowbluff
2013-01-03, 09:53 PM
Can you say Cryohydra? Sunder your own heads to gain more! Hahahahahahahahah!

I think you are talking about the Barghest.

Ever play a Divine Minion MMoF?

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-03, 10:00 PM
I got a lot of mileage out of both tendriculous and dire hawk. Mobility forms were generally of most use at mid-levels, allowing me to have my character circle the battle and such at a safe distance. Plant forms were also great for their fairly long list of immunities, which were great in a campaign that had some elements of horror and lots of fear/mind-affecting.

Immabozo
2013-01-03, 10:22 PM
Can you say Cryohydra? Sunder your own heads to gain more! Hahahahahahahahah!

You are a genius!

I think you are talking about the Barghest.

Ever play a Divine Minion MMoF?

No, its a giant, the one I am talking about. Plus, Barghest is an outsider, short of epic feats and special classes that allow access to it, I dont think you can take that form.

No, but I am very interested, what is a Divine Minion MoMF?

I got a lot of mileage out of both tendriculous and dire hawk. Mobility forms were generally of most use at mid-levels, allowing me to have my character circle the battle and such at a safe distance.

Cave Troll and War Toll are fantastic forms, you might want to check them out. No need for mobility forms!

Snowbluff
2013-01-03, 10:32 PM
You are a genius!

Hush hush! It's a secret!

No, its a giant, the one I am talking about. Plus, Barghest is an outsider, short of epic feats and special classes that allow access to it, I dont think you can take that form.

No, but I am very interested, what is a Divine Minion MoMF?

Damn.

Divine Minion
(http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) is a +1 LA (sometimes +2) template. They get Wildshape as a Level 11 Druid, but it's a free action and they only get a few forms. If you going into MMoF and pick up Wildhspae feats, you get more forms. Used in my Ultimate Changeling. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266039) It will let you become that Giant, if you find it.

Coidzor
2013-01-03, 10:41 PM
There was a super cheese one that is, per RAW, questionable, but not outright against the rules, nor following the rules, but no DM in their right mind would allow it. I forget the creature's name, but it has an extraordinary ability (which wildshape grants) to eat so many HD worth of intelligent creatures, or so many more of unintelligent creatures, and gain HD and all the level dependent bonuses with gaining the HD, in addition two evolving from lesser, through 2 other forms, to greater with a maximum HD gained in this fashion of 18. It was super cheese McCheesy idea, but a funny one none the less.

Dusk Giants. Fun times, them. I think they're from Heroes of Horror.

Most of the notable forms I could tell you would be regurgitating the Master of Many Forms Bible (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528526/updated_Master_of_Many_Forms_Bible__official_wild_ shape_rules?pg=2) or one of several druid handbooks and discussion threads at you.

THEChanger
2013-01-03, 10:42 PM
No, its a giant, the one I am talking about.

I'm about to play a MoMF. The giant you are thinking of is the Dusk Giant. Heroes of Horror, page 147. The ability is called Cannabalize. Every 1 HD of sentient life, or 20 HD of nonsentient life, you get some bonuses. Fun times, but most DMs would rule it doesn't last beyond your Wildshape. Every time your Wildshape is up, your Cannabalize reset. Or at least, that's how I'd rule it. The RAW of the matter is contested.

Once you've got Elemental Wildshape, I like Storm Elementals from Monster Manual 3. Good land and air speeds, and a solid slam attack. It's a pity you don't get some of those Supernaturals, but Air Mastery and healing from Sonic and Electricity attacks are pretty sweet.

EDIT: I have been swordsage'd, it seems.

Coidzor
2013-01-03, 10:44 PM
Really fun with a chicken infested commoner around, they are.

I just had the most horrible idea for that actually playing out in a game as a plot device. :smallsigh:

Immabozo
2013-01-03, 11:29 PM
Divine Minion
(http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) is a +1 LA (sometimes +2) template. They get Wildshape as a Level 11 Druid, but it's a free action and they only get a few forms. If you going into MMoF and pick up Wildhspae feats, you get more forms. Used in my Ultimate Changeling. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266039) It will let you become that Giant, if you find it.

Is that a home brew, or is it in a book?

Dusk Giants. Fun times, them. I think they're from Heroes of Horror.

YES!! Thank you!!

Fun times, but most DMs would rule it doesn't last beyond your Wildshape. Every time your Wildshape is up, your Cannabalize reset. Or at least, that's how I'd rule it.

I agree, entirely, but as a druid, getting it up in 7 hours shouldn't be a problem, going faster and faster as you go.

Really fun with a chicken infested commoner around, they are.

I just had the most horrible idea for that actually playing out in a game as a plot device. :smallsigh:

oh, please do tell!

Snowbluff
2013-01-03, 11:42 PM
Is that a home brew, or is it in a book?

... it's on the WotC site. It's official material. I think the original book was Church of Set.

oh, please do tell!

Chicken Infested is a Flaw for commoners from Dragon Magazine that gives an infinite number of Chickens for consumption.

Divine Minion's Wilshape doesn't have a duration limit.

Immabozo
2013-01-03, 11:49 PM
... it's on the WotC site. It's official material. I think the original book was Church of Set.

I overlooked that, haha, but thanks.

Chicken Infested is a Flaw for commoners from Dragon Magazine that gives an infinite number of Chickens for consumption

which number can I find the flaws in? I have never read about them.

Snowbluff
2013-01-04, 12:06 AM
I overlooked that, haha, but thanks.

For the record, you are Bozo.

which number can I find the flaws in? I have never read about them.

Immabozo
2013-01-04, 12:22 AM
For the record, you are Bozo.

Thank you and thank you. And the flaws are amazing! I am so happy I found them!

Urpriest
2013-01-04, 01:45 AM
Will-O’-Wisp is an awesome form to grab with Aberrant Wildshape, for Ex Immunity to Magic and Invisibility with Enhanced Wildshape.

Immabozo
2013-01-04, 01:59 AM
this is very true. I like the MoMF and Natures Warrior and there is no need for the feat, nor the spell

Togo
2013-01-04, 04:30 AM
The forms I found most useful in practice

Tendriculous - for combat
Chuul - for combat at lower level
will-o-the-wisp - for insane touch AC and invis for scouting
kuo-toa - for detecting invisible creatures
umber hulk - for remodelling dungeons - in particular for making corridors wider to accomodate larger forms
Giant squid - as a good form for flying combat
house cat - free lodgings at inn rooms, and scaring commoners
Spider, giant - best form for transporting the entire party
g-cube - awsome combat form when buffed. Also useful for prisoner transport (if you cast resist acid on the prisoner)

Immabozo
2013-01-04, 05:33 AM
umber hulk - for remodelling dungeons - in particular for making corridors wider to accomodate larger forms
Giant squid - as a good form for flying combat
house cat - free lodgings at inn rooms, and scaring commoners
g-cube - awsome combat form when buffed. Also useful for prisoner transport (if you cast resist acid on the prisoner)

I'll have to check some of your list out, but these were particularly interesting to me. First, the most peculiar, how does a giant squid manage aerial combat? I love the Umber Hulk idea, I'll have to look more into if. What is the G-cube? I cant recall this one. I love the house cat idea, but why not go thri-keen some the no need for sleep and keep watch for the party?

(or snicker as mild chaos ensues, as the last thri-keen I played with did)

TuggyNE
2013-01-04, 06:22 AM
What is the G-cube? I cant recall this one.

Gelatinous cube.

How do you take ooze shapes?

The Viscount
2013-01-04, 11:36 AM
MoMF can do it. They get every type but undead, construct, magical beast and outsider.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-04, 12:22 PM
Dire tortoise - Sandstorm. Now you act in ALL surprise rounds, even if there would not normally be one and even if you are the one surprised.

Get overland flight and become the magic hover turtle, the party can ride on your back.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-04, 12:43 PM
Always wondered if you could wild shape into green slime. I guess technically it's not a creature, which is kind of sad. The mechanic that it uses is great, and it's main weakness is sunlight, which it's not too hard to avoid. I am a fool for wild shape forms that have some kind of division/fission/budding going on, a la Burrow Root, from MM5, IIRC.

silverwolfer
2013-01-04, 12:59 PM
I think exalted wildshape is worth it for blink dog

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-04, 01:06 PM
Druid to Planar Shepherd for Bluespawn Ambusher... burrow through stone!

Burrowing through stone is FANTASTICALLY useful...

Immabozo
2013-01-04, 03:25 PM
MoMF can do it. They get every type but undead, construct, magical beast and outsider.

Or Gargantuan, Colossal shapes

And then I believe all of those shapes are available through Epic feats.

Coidzor
2013-01-04, 07:54 PM
Gelatinous cube.

How do you take ooze shapes?

I'd swear there was a PrC that specialized in oozes that got a form of ooze-only wildshape or added oozes to druid's repetoire in one of the two Underdark books.

Immabozo
2013-01-04, 08:39 PM
MoMF definitely gets oozes. Not a favorite form, personally, but it is an option

Dusk Eclipse
2013-01-04, 09:01 PM
I'd swear there was a PrC that specialized in oozes that got a form of ooze-only wildshape or added oozes to druid's repetoire in one of the two Underdark books.

Oozemaster from Masters of the Wild (3.0) eventually got oozeshape.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-05, 08:33 PM
Yes, and it opens up all kinds of interesting living spells. Go into warshaper for 5 levels and change your shape into any spell effect you need at the moment.

Immabozo
2013-01-05, 11:20 PM
How does warshaper allow you to shift into living spells? You mean through Morphic Weapons?

TuggyNE
2013-01-06, 12:44 AM
How does warshaper allow you to shift into living spells? You mean through Morphic Weapons?

I think the idea was that you'd use one of the ways of getting ooze shape already mentioned, and add Warshaper on top of that to speed it up. (Living Spells are Oozes.)

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-06, 01:36 AM
Steel Dragon! Song Dragon! Shadow Dragon!

Immabozo
2013-01-06, 05:40 AM
I think the idea was that you'd use one of the ways of getting ooze shape already mentioned, and add Warshaper on top of that to speed it up. (Living Spells are Oozes.)

wow, you are right... that is so broken

The Viscount
2013-01-06, 11:13 AM
It is indeed, which is why it is not possible. Wild shape does not allow the user to take the form of templated creatures, which all living spells are.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-06, 12:43 PM
Depends on the reading. Living spells are creatures created by applying a template to a spell, not a creature with a template modifying it.

Immabozo
2013-01-06, 01:54 PM
so its questionable? But there is likely no DM that would approve that.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-06, 02:26 PM
Depends on the style of the game and power level of play. I have seen DM's that allowed the wish and the word and DM's who ban powerattack.

Immabozo
2013-01-06, 02:31 PM
wow, ban power attack?!?!

True, I guess it is all dependent on the campaign