PDA

View Full Version : Help with new half-celestial spell like abilities

(Un)Inspired
2013-01-03, 11:20 PM
Hello forum members. I'm currently playing in a 3.5 campaign where the dm has decided to create an atmosphere of moral ambiguity. Part of this means almost completely doing away with the alignment system.

I'm playing a lesser aasimar and I'm about to start LA buyoffing my way through the half celestial savage progression. The problem is that a serious chunk of the template is alignment specific stuff.

My very cool dm has said that it would be ok for me to swap the template around like that article on half fiends as long as whatever I trade for is about equal in power and thematically appropriate (this aasimar is descended from Valkyries from Norse mythology).

All specific smite abilities in the game like smite good or smite law have been changed to just straight up smite anything so that can stay but I need advice on what I should have instead of the following SLAs:

Protection from evil
Detect evil
Holy smite
Hallow
Holy aura
Dispel evil
Holy word

Additionally if you can think of a fitting race feature to trade the wings for I'd like to hear it (I don't think mythological Valkyries actually had wings of their own...).

Well thanks for reading all that. Any suggestions you can give are greatly appreciated.

Urpriest
2013-01-03, 11:38 PM
Regardless of whether mythological Valkyries have wings, I'm pretty sure D&D ones do. At least the ToB versions.

(Un)Inspired
2013-01-03, 11:47 PM
They do indeed but the setting is a fantastic version of earth so his ancestor was a Valkyrie of the mythological variety

BowStreetRunner
2013-01-03, 11:50 PM
Honestly, I would not get rid of Protection from X spells altogether. Just remove the alignment aspect and call the new spell 'Aura of Protection'. Reduce the +2 deflection to AC and +2 resistance to saves both to just +1 and apply the bonus against all enemies instead of just those of a specific alignment. Keep the blocking of possession and mental control as well as the barrier against summoned creatures.
Replace Detect Evil with Detect Thoughts. It's a little higher level, but it can help get a sense of people's motives, which is really what you need if there is no alignment to tip you off.
Replace Holy Smite with Energy Vortex.
Hallow is another I would leave alone. Just change the Magic Circle Against Evil effect into a 'Magic Circle of Protection' effect like the 'Aura of Protection' I mentioned above.
Replace Dispel Evil with Banishment.
Replace Holy Word with Power Word Stun.

NotScaryBats
2013-01-03, 11:52 PM
Magic flight? Like, you don't need wings to be able to fly.

War Domain Spells

Magic Weapon: Weapon gains +1 bonus.
Spiritual Weapon: Magical weapon attacks on its own.
Magic Vestment: Armor or shield gains +1 enhancement per four levels.
Divine Power: You gain attack bonus, +6 to Str, and 1 hp/level.
Flame Strike: Smite foes with divine fire (1d6/level damage).
Blade Barrier: Wall of blades deals 1d6/level damage.
Power Word Blind: Blinds creature with 200 hp or less.
Power Word Stun: Stuns creature with 150 hp or less.
Power Word Kill: Kills creature with 100 hp or less.

You could do War Domain spells instead of those ones you listed. Very celestial-warrior-y if you ask me.

(Un)Inspired
2013-01-04, 12:14 AM
Awesome suggestions. Unfortunately I have no control over the existence or nature of spells like protection from evil or hallow but alas, such is life.

I really like the idea of trading out detect evil for detect thoughts as that's what the dm gave paladins.

I could be wrong but I thought that "historical" Valkyries were supposed to find rad warriors about to die and then buff them up so they could die like badasses.

I imagine the spells they'd have would mostly be support based.

NotScaryBats
2013-01-04, 12:15 AM
Oh, I don't know anything about real Valkyries -- I just thought they were badass fighter chicks with spears :D

dantiesilva
2013-01-04, 12:47 AM
They brought the vikings warriors who died a glorious battle to Valhalla where they could live out their eternity in bear playing with the Valkyries, and fighting. Its Viking come on now, what else did they do and worship?

(Un)Inspired No what you are thinking about were the berserk of the viking mythology. They were the warrior chief like people who worshiped wolfs, bears and such and went into a rage refusing to accept death until the battle was over or their head was gone. Close though saying those would defiantly be the warriors the Valkyries took.

(Un)Inspired
2013-01-04, 12:57 AM
I didn't say the Valkyrie was the one doling out the pain before they died. I was saying that when a Viking was about to take a dive a Valkyrie would show up to let them know they (the viking) needed a last burst of battlefield awesome before it was all over

BowStreetRunner
2013-01-04, 12:58 AM
The Valkyries collected the spirits of warriors who died bravely in battle and brought them to Valhalla to await Ragnarok, when they would be called upon to fight again. Hate to break it to you, but when the Valkyries weren't busy collecting the heroes from among the fallen, they were busy waiting hand and foot on the 'einherjar', as they were called.

Maybe you should have Create Food and Water or something like it as an SLA. Mead, anyone?

(Un)Inspired
2013-01-04, 01:30 AM
Haha yeah I forgot about that. Super housewife powers activate!