PDA

View Full Version : Darkvision swap.

Sziget Pengék
2013-01-04, 03:52 AM
I was talking to my DM about swapping something in for the xeph darkvision 60 that would compare LA wise, but we cant think of anything that would be a good swap in.

Ideas?

SowZ
2013-01-04, 03:54 AM
I was talking to my DM about swapping something in for the xeph darkvision 60 that would compare LA wise, but we cant think of anything that would be a good swap in.

Ideas?

Darkvision is cheaply replicated and there are a number of ways to get it. So nothing too shiny. What class are you playing so I know what is useful?

Sziget Pengék
2013-01-04, 03:55 AM
Swordsage 4/Psi-Warrior2 (e6)

The Xeph in this particular game are flavoured as 'psionic amish' using psionics as an efficiency increase rather than to do the job outright like most of the psionic races do.

its a psionic campaign.

SowZ
2013-01-04, 04:01 AM
Swordsage 4/Psi-Warrior2 (e6)

Hmm. It should make sense with your race. You could just bump one of your racial features a bit. An extra use of your speed boost or an extra PP. In E6, untyped skill bonus can be fairly useful. You could come up with a group of Xeph that maybe evolved differently without needing Darkvision and their culture is a little different. If you did that, I am sure you and the DM could come up with a couple of skills that a +2 racial bonus would make sense for. I suppose Xeph don't really need darkvision to begin with, though, being foresty creatures. Low-light probably would have done it unless there is some fluff I am unaware of. Eh.

Anything particularly unique or interesting would probably be worth a little more than Darkvision, I'm afraid. I would allow something flavorful/rp beneficial, too, probably. Short range telepathy with friendly characters that share a language or something.

Sziget Pengék
2013-01-04, 04:07 AM
Hmm. It should make sense with your race. You could just bump one of your racial features a bit. An extra use of your speed boost or an extra PP. In E6, untyped skill bonus can be fairly useful. You could come up with a group of Xeph that maybe evolved differently without needing Darkvision and their culture is a little different. If you did that, I am sure you and the DM could come up with a couple of skills that a +2 racial bonus would make sense for. I suppose Xeph don't really need darkvision to begin with, though, being foresty creatures. Low-light probably would have done it unless there is some fluff I am unaware of. Eh.

Anything particularly unique or interesting would probably be worth a little more than Darkvision, I'm afraid.

Thanks, thats about what i was thinking, i wasnt looking for anything fantastic, just a comparable level mechanic and a more location oriented fluff, its above ground in an area thats always atleast a dusky twilight with no real cave systems or anything, so darkvision doesnt make sense to have been evolved in the first place.

SowZ
2013-01-04, 04:08 AM
Thanks, thats about what i was thinking, i wasnt looking for anything fantastic, just a comparable level mechanic and a more location oriented fluff, its above ground in an area thats always atleast a dusky twilight with no real cave systems or anything, so darkvision doesnt make sense to have been evolved in the first place.

No problem. I would allow something flavorful/rp beneficial, too, probably. Short-mid range telepathy with friendly characters that share a language or something.

Sziget Pengék
2013-01-04, 04:10 AM
No problem. I would allow something flavorful/rp beneficial, too, probably. Short range telepathy with friendly characters that share a language or something.

Any ideas on something aside from that (awesome) that would fit with the efficiency bit?

SowZ
2013-01-04, 04:26 AM
Any ideas on something aside from that (awesome) that would fit with the efficiency bit?

You could come up with some sort of unique racial ability where you can funnel PP into skill checks. So, they use their Psionics in day to day activites and their jobs. I was going to shy away from that kind of thing but as long as it can only give a small bonus I think it is fine. It is not like Xeph are overpowered at all. You could say that whenever a Xeph is at full PP they get a +1 competence bonus to skill checks, (so they are constantly using psionics to help do their chores.) Or maybe say you can spend a Power Point to get a +2 competence bonus on a skill check. Though I like the first idea a little better. Having both as part of the ability could work, too. Is that what you meant by efficiency?

Sziget Pengék
2013-01-04, 04:33 AM
You could come up with some sort of unique racial ability where you can funnel PP into skill checks. So, they use their Psionics in day to day activites and their jobs. I was going to shy away from that kind of thing but as long as it can only give a small bonus I think it is fine. It is not like Xeph are overpowered at all. You could say that whenever a Xeph is at full PP they get a +1 competence bonus to skill checks, (so they are constantly using psionics to help do their chores.) Or maybe say you can spend a Power Point to get a +2 competence bonus on a skill check. Though I like the first idea a little better. Having both as part of the ability could work, too. Is that what you meant by efficiency?

yeah, more or less. IRL amish will use machinery to increase job efficiency, but not to do a job outright. To have control over it, rather than becoming a slave to it. This is how i'm treating psionics for the fluff of the xeph.

SowZ
2013-01-04, 04:43 AM
yeah, more or less. IRL amish will use machinery to increase job efficiency, but not to do a job outright. To have control over it, rather than becoming a slave to it. This is how i'm treating psionics for the fluff of the xeph.

So I assume you will take more of the buffing abilities or abilities that channel through your attacks with your psionics, as opposed to straight up effect powers?

Sziget Pengék
2013-01-04, 04:45 AM
exactly. metaphysical weapon, expansion, ect. my maneuvers are treated as if they are psi-augmented, fluff again.