PDA

View Full Version : A Seriously Overpowered Weapon

JaronK
2013-01-04, 07:57 PM
I've played around with overpowered weapons before... last time was the obviously broken Shuriken ( http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:XCEVZ8odsPYJ:brilliantgameologists. com/boards/index.php%3Ftopic%3D11763.0+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us ), but now let's talk about an even more overpowered weapon: a rock. Yes, a rock. Highest damage possible of any weapon, and yet it's practically free. How overpowered is that?

Anyway, I was having fun playing with this idea for a wacky little build... let's see what folks think. It combines the shenanigans of the Hulking Hurler with the Bloodstorm Blade's throw something at every target ability for maximum hilarity.

The Nuclear Rock
Half Minotaur Orc
Warblade 1/Fighter 4/Hulking Hurler 1/Warblade+1/Bloodstorm Blade 10/War Hulk 3

Feats: Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Weapon Focus: Rock, Cleave, Far Shot... the rest seriously doesn't matter.
Stats: Your strength starts stupidly high. Make it higher. Nothing else matters. As a Half Minotaur Orc, your base strength starts at +16, so with an 18 in Strength you've got a strength of 34 to start. By level 20, it's 45 without magical gear included. But you need to get bigger, and you're only Large! At the very least, become Huge with a Permanent Enlarge Person, so that's Strength 47. Your light load at that level is 22144 even without gear. Why does that matter? We'll get there.

What you do with your rock: You throw it. It has a base range increment of 15' (30' after Far Shot) if you can only make it to Huge, but with Far Shot your max range is actually 150'. Every size category you can go up past huge increases your range increment by 5' and your max range by 50'. Due to the Bloodstorm Blades's 10th level ability, you can attack everyone within range of you with a full round action... that's enough to hit a small army, and it always bounces back to your hands at the end. And how much damage do you do? Well, Complete Warrior page 159 says the damage of an improvised weapon is based on its weight, 5d6 damage + 1d6 damage per 200 pounds beyond 400. So your rock does 113d6 damage. Every 5 points of strength doubles your light load, and every size increase doubles it as well.

You can of course improve this by making it a +1 Rock of Distance, allowing you to hit at least a 300' radius. There are spells that increase range too. And the Epic Feat Distant Shot lets you hit absolutely everybody within line of sight. Note that with Dragonwrought Kobold shenanigans, you could get that feat at level 18, but other aspects of the build become hard to deal with.

TL;DR: If your players want to use a Spiked Chain, that's not cheesy. If they want to use a rock, they're munchkins.

Tvtyrant
2013-01-04, 08:01 PM
Could you use the Giant Size spell off the Wu-Jen list to get up to colossal? That adds a lot of strength and rock weight.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-04, 08:17 PM
I made a draconic fog giant npc barbarian/hulking hurler a couple campaigns ago. And hulking hurler quickly became an npc class. The damage that you can deal is truly sickening, and basically you just need some big something. Really Throw Anything class feature combos quite well with a lot of other brokenness. I think I cranked it up to over 200d6 with custom-made lead spheres. Math can really be the enemy of the rules in this case. I have no idea where they came up with the table that defines encumbrance/max load/etc. It seems kind of excessive. Then again, this guy's strength was in the high 50s, which puts great wyrms to shame.

On another note, +1d6 per 200 lbs also seems off the mark. If anyone out there has ever had a heavy object fall on them, then you are aware that this is rather less damage than 200 lbs should deal.

Morcleon
2013-01-04, 08:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Complete Champion rules also state that sharp objects have increased damage...

Now make it a sharp rock. :smallamused:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2013-01-04, 08:30 PM
TL;DR: If your players want to use a Spiked Chain, that's not cheesy. If they want to use a rock, they're munchkins.

Eh. Color me unimpressed. We've known about the Hulking Hurler for ages, and throwing Bloodstorm Blade into the mix is a logical extension of the trick. :smalltongue:

JaronK
2013-01-04, 08:34 PM
Could you use the Giant Size spell off the Wu-Jen list to get up to colossal? That adds a lot of strength and rock weight.

I thought about that, but it's Self Only... and you can't get UMD on this guy. So no, not really.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Complete Champion rules also state that sharp objects have increased damage...

Now make it a sharp rock.

See! You munchkins with your broken min-maxing rocks! That would do twice as much damage! Why, I bet you'd do something truly insane like cast Wall of Iron followed by Fabricate to make a giant iron spiked ball and throw that around, doing 226d6 damage instead! Only a munchkin would think of doing something like that! Rawr!

JaronK

Morcleon
2013-01-04, 08:51 PM
See! You munchkins with your broken min-maxing rocks! That would do twice as much damage! Why, I bet you'd do something truly insane like cast Wall of Iron followed by Fabricate to make a giant iron spiked ball and throw that around, doing 226d6 damage instead! Only a munchkin would think of doing something like that! Rawr!

JaronK

And at this point, you pick up a Winged Mask and use Thunderous Throw on a dive attack to double your damage to 452d6. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Tvtyrant
2013-01-04, 08:53 PM
I thought about that, but it's Self Only... and you can't get UMD on this guy. So no, not really.

JaronK
I think you can get around the self only by paying casters to craft contingencies onto you. The cost would be a little stiff, but the advantages are there.

Darrin
2013-01-04, 09:00 PM
I thought about that, but it's Self Only... and you can't get UMD on this guy.

Skull Talisman, Glyph Seal, or Shallantha's Delicate Disk.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-04, 09:09 PM
I seem to remember that the throwing arm of Iallanis spell is also good for this character. Can't remember if you need to be able to cast it on yourself, but there are already 4 or 5 suggestions for that.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-01-04, 10:07 PM
And at this point, you pick up a Winged Mask and use Thunderous Throw on a dive attack to double your damage to 452d6. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Then, instead of a gigantic iron ball, make it a neutronium/osmium (whichever is heavier and you can still carry) block (with a short handle to hold it). Call yourself Thor.

Now you're not a munchkin. Now you've just decided you're playing a superhero game.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-01-04, 11:32 PM
Heck, if you are going down that route, tack on a level or two of Cancer Mage, get infected with Festering Rage, and deal an arbitrary amount of damage with every toss. Assuming you can find a rock heavy enough.

Morcleon
2013-01-04, 11:47 PM
Heck, if you are going down that route, tack on a level or two of Cancer Mage, get infected with Festering Rage, and deal an arbitrary amount of damage with every toss. Assuming you can find a rock heavy enough.

1. Find a psion to manifest adapt body on you.
2. Get a cleric to use divination to find a neutron star.
3. Sharpen your neutron star.
4. ???
5. Profit!

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-01-05, 12:21 AM
4. ???
5. Profit!

The problem then would be throwing the neutron star rather than having the plane you are residing on fall towards it.

TuggyNE
2013-01-05, 04:35 AM
4. ???
5. Profit!

OK, at step 3 I laughed a lot.

LTwerewolf
2013-01-05, 06:29 AM
I think you can get around the self only by paying casters to craft contingencies onto you. The cost would be a little stiff, but the advantages are there.

Much easier: find a runesmith to make one of their "anyone at all can cast these" spells of it.

Metahuman1
2013-01-05, 10:32 AM
Ok, here's a though.

Put a trap pf Shrink Item into the rock. Have it trigger when you, specifically, grab the rock, and have it auto reset every time it goes off.

Now increase the size of the rock to 16x your max, then shrink it. It will grow 16x and juice up damage as such as soon as it hits and opponent, and will shrink back down when you get it back at the end of the round.