PDA

View Full Version : My Halfling Can Only Cary 7 Pounds???

sambouchah
2013-01-04, 11:44 PM
My halfling has a whopping seven points of strength and his light load is 7 1/2 pounds. He is a brave little spelltheif who loves sneak attacks. Any suggestions on how to dish damage while still retaining a light load?

Sacrieur
2013-01-04, 11:47 PM
gauntlets of ogre strength

Although, the better question is why you have seven points of strength in the first place.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-01-04, 11:52 PM
A small 7 strength character's light load is 17.25 pounds.

Although, the better question is why you have seven points of strength in the first place.

It's only a slightly below average halfling. Though why 7 rather than 6 or eight may be a good question.

Also, small size gear weighs half as much as medium gear.

silverwolfer
2013-01-04, 11:54 PM
True but they get a debuff by being half of whatever something else is.

so 17 becomes 8, and then you lose count in your endless rage, and it ends up being 7.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-01-05, 12:03 AM

so 17 becomes 8, and then you lose count in your endless rage, and it ends up being 7.

No, medium's 23 becomes smalls 17.25. Small carrying is 3/4 medium's. (PHB 162)

sambouchah
2013-01-05, 12:04 AM

This is true! EXACTLY what happened! I was so pissed hahaha.

I gave him darts and a dagger in addition to his peasent's clothes. Also I decided to play Swashbuckler-1/Spelltheif-4/master thrower-5 possibly going into assassin later

sambouchah
2013-01-05, 12:05 AM
No, medium's 23 becomes smalls 17.25. Small carrying is 3/4 medium's. (PHB 162)

And AGAIN did my math wrongxD thank you!

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-05, 12:06 AM
Playing something that has a a 7 score in any ability score is a challenge. 7 pounds seems low, but I rarely have played halflings that carry much more than spell components or thrown weapons/bows.

Remember that in combat you can drop backpacks, non-essential gear, etc. Outside of combat, encumbrance isn't as big a deal unless you are running/walking a great distance.

There are some materials that weigh less than conventional stuff. Darkwood stuff, lots of lightweight armor types in races of the wild. Remember that small versions of everything weigh considerably less, and your DM may also rule that you can survive on a lesser weight of food/water or stretch out those trail rations due to your size.

If all else fails, get a pony or some kind of pet to carry your excess baggage. If 7 lbs is indeed your light load, then you will have trouble even with a bag of holding. Try belt of hidden pouches, I think it was called, from MIC. Has many small bags of holding, significantly less useful that a bag of holding, but I think the overall weight may stack up less. Steal shrink item spell off arcane caster, maybe? Huge weight savings there, but shrunken item is now useless until unshrunk.

EDIT: well now we know the real light load, I think you can handle the smallest bag of holding. Still might want to look into a mundane solution. Gauntlets of ogre power/belt giant str are also a good choice, as is some kind of bull's strength you can steal, potions or such, if you can't afford the permanent item yet. I think there is a planar heritage feat or something from Planar Handbook...Heavyweight something something...increases carrying capacity. Still, using a feat to increase carrying capacity pretty much defines low-op.

silverwolfer
2013-01-05, 01:14 AM
Found a picture for your halfings profile image

http://www.andreadams.com/assets/thumbnails/weakling_THUMB.jpg

Slipperychicken
2013-01-05, 01:51 AM
Get a mule (or Fighter) to carry your stuff for you.

gr8artist
2013-01-05, 06:03 AM
Muleback chords boost your effective strength score by +8 for determining carrying capacity. And they're dirt cheap, like 1K or so.

Darius Kane
2013-01-05, 06:10 AM
http://cdn.derpiboo.ru/media/BAhbBlsHOgZmSSJ3MjAxMi8xMi8yMi8xN18yOV8wNF83MDVfMT kwNDMzX19VTk9QVF9fc2FmZV90d2lsaWdodF9zcGFya2xlX2Ny b3Nzb3Zlcl90aGVfaG9iYml0X2JpbGJvX2JhZ2dpbnNfdGhvcm luX29ha2Vuc2hpZWxkBjoGRVQ/190433__safe_twilight-sparkle_crossover_the-hobbit_bilbo-baggins_thorin-oakenshield.jpg