PDA

View Full Version : Counterspelling Dispel Magic

Story
2013-01-05, 10:35 AM
I've seen a lot of discussions (as well as a comic) where people mention putting Dispel Magic in their ring of Counterspells. But why does everyone ignore Arcane Turmoil? For targeted dispels, it's strictly better than Dispel Magic at a lower level. And the Ring of Counterspells wouldn't counter an area dispel anyway. I can see ignoring it in a core only game, but most of the time, it looks like people are leaving themselves open to attack or praying the DM hasn't heard of the spell.

Yora
2013-01-05, 10:46 AM
Because Arcane Turmoil is an obscure spell from some splatbook that most people have never heard of.

Randomguy
2013-01-05, 10:52 AM
Also, a lot of dispels come from spell like abilities instead of from casters, and lots of monsters have dispel magic as a spell like ability but none have arcane turmoil as one.

navar100
2013-01-05, 01:31 PM
Because Arcane Turmoil is an obscure spell from some splatbook that most people have never heard of.

There's a spell called Arcane Turmoil? What does it do?

Really, I never heard of it before until just now. If it's in Spell Compendium I must have glossed over it. It's not one ingrained in memory.

:smallsmile:

Story
2013-01-05, 01:42 PM
It's in Complete Mage

It's a 2nd level close range spell that behaves as a targeted Dispel, plus target loses a prepared spell slot of highest level remaining (will negates).

Douglas
2013-01-05, 02:19 PM
And the Ring of Counterspells wouldn't counter an area dispel anyway.
That's debatable, and I lean heavily towards saying that it would. The ring uses unclear English wording when clearly defined game terms are readily available if a restriction were desired, and the root mechanic it uses has no restrictions at all.

Studoku
2013-01-05, 05:23 PM
Also, Arcane Turmoil is only a Wizard/Sorcerer spell. Clerics, Bards and Druids have to cast Dispel Magic anyway.

Dispel Magic is just so much more common.