PDA

View Full Version : ECL20: Non-negotiable Sources for a Runescarred Berserker

Muktidata
2013-01-05, 11:13 AM
I'm working on an application for a FR PbP game. We start half-way to level 21 and use some game-specific character building rules, but hardly any house rules. Here's a near-exhaustive list:

-NO FLAWS/TRAITS/LA BUYOFF
-Free FR Regional Feat
-4 Free Feats From List:PRONE FIGHTING [GENERAL] (COMBAT)
OFF THE WALL [GENERAL]
QUICK DRAW [GENERAL] (COMBAT)
RUN [GENERAL] (COMBAT)
TRACK [GENERAL]
STURDY [GENERAL] (COMBAT)
TOWER SHIELD PROFICIENCY
VERSATILE UNARMED STRIKE
ZEN ARCHERY [GENERAL]
ANIMAL FRIEND [GENERAL]
ARTIST [GENERAL]
BORN LEADER [GENERAL]
CONTORTIONIST [GENERAL]
EDUCATION [GENERAL]
EIDETIC MEMORY [GENERAL]
MERCANTILE BACKGROUND
MITITIA [GENERAL]
RESISTANCE TO DISEASE [GENERAL]
RESISTANCE TO POISON [GENERAL]
LIGHT SLEEPER [GENERAL]
SILVER TONGUE [GENERAL]
PERFECT RIDERS [GENERAL]
PERFECT VOICE [GENERAL]
TREETOPPER [GENERAL]
WEALTHY [GENERAL]

-Universally Available Sources: SRD, FRCS, PGtF, RoF, MIC
-Conditionally Available Sources:SpC(For Casters), A&E(For Mundane)
-Plus 3 Sources (Cleared By DM)
-List of Auto-Cleared Sources: Completes, FR Books, Wizards Site
-Banned Sources: ToB, BoVD, BoED, MoI

So the DM's plan for balancing and/or reducing his homework is to limit the sources available. *Shrug* My plan is to play some chump melee character. I'm a sucker for such characters, even if they don't look quite as cool wailing at the whims of spellcasters.

Currently, I'm pretty well settled on playing a Runescarred Berserker. That would lock down one of my THREE available sources forcing me to use the Unapproachable East source book.

My request for build discussion is what other sources are non-negotiable for a melee character of the Runescarred Berserker variety? Daunting, I know. Melee characters are just so bad, they typically require a lot of sources available to pretend they can threaten their magic-using adversaries. So let's not kid ourselves and just stick to stuff that makes melee strong.

My initial thoughts:
Weapons of Legacy - Largely for Legacy Champion to advance Runescars. Custom legacy weapons are a bonus. (vetoed by DM)
Complete Champion - Just for Lion Totem? With just two sources left, it's really hard to justify.
Complete Warrior - This one has merit. Leap Attack, old friend! Shock Trooper, of course I haven't forgotten you. Okay, this has some draw.

Call me one-dimensional, but I have a really hard time getting my creative juices flowing when I can't flip through fifty books. Any advice?

WinWin
2013-01-05, 12:13 PM
Snow tiger berserker lodge allows a limited form of pouncing. It can be used to qualify for runescarred berserker.

Unfortunately, light weapons are a restriction on that form of pounce. So power attack is out of the question unless you go for an unarmed/natural weapon build.

Another UE gem is the Battle Jump feat...providing you can convince the DM your character was raised by Taer or something. Or maybe a Taer raised by Rashemi.

It's difficult for me to suggest an Epic build with the restrictions you have, especially one that focuses on unarmed or natural weapons. It can be done, but it requires a lot of sources.

Muktidata
2013-01-05, 12:39 PM
I've been leaning toward one big chop since it is more feasible in limited sources. Valorous weapons are also from UE. :smallbiggrin:

mattie_p
2013-01-05, 01:17 PM
Valorous weapons are also from UE. :smallbiggrin:

Just about to point that out. Milk your limited sources for all they are worth. Of course, if you want valorous weapons, that means you are a charger, and should definitely consider CW for shocktrooper/leap attack.

Muktidata
2013-01-05, 01:26 PM
Indeed! So that leaves me with 1 more source then. My idea: Weapons of Legacy. Get 6th level rune scars and a custom weapon of legacy. I have no idea how to decide what spells would be in the runescar list, however. Do I choose or is it the DM or do I need to hire a PI to track the writers and sit down to discuss it with Bruce R. Cordell, Kolja Raven Liquette, and Travis Stout? (vetoed by DM)

Sgt. Cookie
2013-01-05, 01:39 PM
Depending on cheese tolerance, I'd recomend Savage Species. Purely for the nigh invincibity that comes with the Symbiote template. The best way to use it is via a Maximised Empowered Awaken cast on a Dread Blossom Swarm.

The Forgotten. Template link in my sig has more details.

Muktidata
2013-01-05, 01:49 PM
Sorry. I'm not sure what the DM would say, but that just doesn't interest me. I don't want to be a swarm or an awakened anything. Not to mention it would tie up one of my sources at least using MM3. I'm probably going to end up an Orc if I can make it work with the Lodge/Faerunian requirements.

The way things are looking, I need an extraordinary source of fly to come from my third source assuming Unapproachable East and Complete Warrior. But I wanted the 6th level Runescars so badly! (vetoed by DM) Or perhaps I could just max my jump check out the whazoo and jump at/on stuff. It'd need to be close to 300 I'd imagine to really be effective.

So that puts my required build stuff at:
Race:Orc/Half-Orc
Classes: Runescarred Berserker 10
Feats:
Wolf Berserker - Pre-req
Iron Will - Pre-req
Survivor - Pre-req
Power Attack
Improved Bull Rush
Shock Trooper
Headlong Rush - Double Damage - Orc Only
Battle Jump
Leap Attack

Luxury stuff:
Astronomical (OK, just really high) Bonuses to Jump
Knockdown
Extraordinary Flight (Really wish Races of the Dragon didn't appear so useless to me other than Dragonborn of Bahamut)