PDA

View Full Version : PF dhampir question

wolflock1010
2013-01-05, 03:51 PM
i know dhampir are are the opposit of living creasture for negative and positive energy, here is my question

Cleric choose to channel positive energy to heal living creatures. Does that cause me damage or not affect me?

Also would channeling to harm undead hurt me?

Waker
2013-01-05, 04:05 PM
Negative Energy Affinity: Though a living creature, a dhampir reacts to positive and negative energy as if it were undead—positive energy harms it, while negative energy heals it.
If the cleric channels positive energy to heal, you take damage. If they channel negative energy to harm, you are healed. That line is taken from the Dhampir section on weakness racial traits.

gartius
2013-01-05, 05:28 PM
you are only affected by positive energy damage when a cleric specifies they use channel positive energy to harm. If you are in the effect you just don't gain the benefit of the heal.

the cleric chooses to do damage to undead or heal -it cannot do both at the same time.

Starbuck_II
2013-01-05, 06:06 PM
If the cleric channels positive energy to heal, you take damage. If they channel negative energy to harm, you are healed. That line is taken from the Dhampir section on weakness racial traits.

But A Cleric can't harm when it heals, it choose one of the other.

You can't use positive energy to heal allies while hurting the undead surrounding you. Not sure why, but that is the PF rules.

Waker
2013-01-05, 06:49 PM
I should have clarified. When a cleric uses Channel Energy to use Positive Energy and heal all living creatures in range, you would get hurt (as you are still a living creature.) If a cleric instead used Negative Energy to harm all living creatures in range, you would be healed.

wolflock1010
2013-01-05, 07:30 PM
ok im still comfused , ive gotten 2 answers. can i definitive consensus, and wake if healing hurts me would channeling positive to harm undead hurt me aswell?

Milo v3
2013-01-05, 07:53 PM
Positive Energy hurts you. Negative Energy heals you.

Starbuck_II
2013-01-05, 08:26 PM
ok im still comfused , ive gotten 2 answers. can i definitive consensus, and wake if healing hurts me would channeling positive to harm undead hurt me aswell?

Yes/No, unless the Cleric was choosing to only harm undead.

Okay, situation:
Cleric Bob, Alice the Rogue, Bart the Barbarian (Dhampir), and Alex the Wizard are fighting 6 zombies (surrounding them).
The Cleric can use Channel energy Positive to heal allies or harm (undead) , but:
a. He chooses to heal (can't choose Bart because that is harm)
b. He can chose to harm enemies ( Bart as treated as undead is harmed)

But he can't use Channel positive energy to heal allies but harm Bart. Sadly, it is binary.

"Channeling energy causes a burst that affects all creatures of one type (either undead or living) in a 30-foot radius centered on the cleric."

You have to choose each time you use it: Undead or living. Dhampirs are treated as undead choice.

wolflock1010
2013-01-05, 11:37 PM
Thx a bunch starbuck i appreciate it :)

ShadowZoom
2013-01-15, 03:44 PM
Dhampirs would not be considered the undead choice since

1. their rules state them as living

2. you still channel positive energy when you try to harm undead, therefore they take damage

If you would want to channel negative energy to harm all living creatures they would be healed instead.

As long as you channel positive energy and choose to target all living creatures, they are damaged

see page 97 of the advanced race guide

Negative Energy Affinity: Though a living creature, a dhampir reacts to positive and negative energy as if it were undead—positive energy
harms it, while negative energy heals it.

Acanous
2013-01-16, 08:40 PM
The problem here is that the rules for Channel conflict with the rules for Dhampir. The Channel rules explicitly say they can heal *Or* do damage, but not both. The Dhampir rules say they are harmed (Dealt damage) by positive energy.

In 3.5 this would not be an issue.
As it stands this is going to be up to individual DM.