PDA

View Full Version : I need help advancing a ranger animal companion [3.5e]

Rougy
2013-01-05, 03:53 PM
I'm creating my first character with animal companion and I don't know how to advance the companion. Well... my character have 18 lvls of ranger and I want a Winged Dire Boar.

Dire Boar, Monster Manual p 63
Winged Template, Savage Spieces p 138

thanks in advance...

GnomeGninjas
2013-01-05, 03:56 PM
You cannot have a winged direboar as an animal companion (unless there is some feat/ACF/houserule that you haven't mentioned).

Rougy
2013-01-05, 04:01 PM
Is a houserule.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-05, 04:05 PM
You and the DM need to agree on how much of a penalty a winged dire boar will apply to your effective druid level. Once we can calculate your effective druid level, we just take the standard winged dire boar and apply the changes from the table in the druid class description in the phb.

As a side note, you won't get the higher level benefits, since ranger already takes a hit on the power of animal companion, and you are reducing it further by picking a stronger type of animal.

Rougy
2013-01-05, 04:09 PM
You and the DM need to agree on how much of a penalty a winged dire boar will apply to your effective druid level. Once we can calculate your effective druid level, we just take the standard winged dire boar and apply the changes from the table in the druid class description in the phb.

As a side note, you won't get the higher level benefits, since ranger already takes a hit on the power of animal companion, and you are reducing it further by picking a stronger type of animal.

Im going to talk to the DM to see what he thinks.
thank you very much!

Grim Reader
2013-01-05, 04:52 PM
Beastmaster, 1 level. Boosts a Rangers animal companion quite well.