PDA

View Full Version : Can Psicrystals operate on their own?

killem2
2013-01-05, 09:23 PM
If a psion is knocked unconscious for whatever the reason, and was separated from her psicrystal, but the psicrystal was able to witness where she was taken, could a psicrystal lead someone to where she was (assuming the party who came across the psi crystal was keen enough to realize this little floating gem was trying to tell them something?)

Psion is level 1.

The Glyphstone
2013-01-05, 09:28 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/psicrystal.htm

Int 6, capable of self-propulsion (via walking, it can't fly till ML9th). So it's sapient, though kind of stupid, and can't actually talk to anyone (needs ML5th). But it can certainly try to get someone's attention, though a crystal crawling on ectoplasmic legs is more likely to get people trying to kill it for loot.

Jeraa
2013-01-05, 09:29 PM
Yes, a psicrystal can act on its own. Provided its owner activated its movement abilities - both its land speed and flight require the owner of the psicrystal to activate them.

Self-Propulsion (Su)
As a standard action, its owner can will a psicrystal to form spidery, ectoplasmic legs that grant the psicrystal a land speed of 30 feet and a climb speed of 20 feet. The legs fade into nothingness after one day (or sooner, if the owner desires).

Flight (Su)
If the owner is 9th level or higher, he can, as a standard action, will his psicrystal to fly at a speed of 50 feet (poor). The psicrystal drifts gently to the ground after one day (or sooner, if the owner desires).

killem2
2013-01-05, 09:31 PM
I did see that, what confounded me though was in this entry:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm#psicrystals

A psicrystal can speak one language of its owner’s choice (so long as it is a language the owner knows). A psicrystal can understand all other languages known by its owner, but cannot speak them. This is a supernatural ability.

What is stopping a group of would be adventurers finding this thing and it saying in common, hey guys my owner is kidnapped, follow me please?

Or even if it is stuck in some place because it can't move with out orders, it could possibly give the would be adventurers at least some sort of hint of what is happening.

The Glyphstone
2013-01-05, 09:33 PM
Huh, I guess they can talk.

So apparently the answer to your question is 'nothing'.

Adventure hook ahoy!

shadow_archmagi
2013-01-05, 09:36 PM
Of course, most adventuring parties will simply sell the talking gem.

killem2
2013-01-05, 09:36 PM
Interesting..

I don't know if this can help the cahracter in question but maybe.

See she is an ECL 3 character and we are ECL 2, and she was basically suppose to be found by us (by the sounds of it) but the game ran so long she never got to play to day.

Edit: Sorry baby girl snagged my mouse and clicked on stuff before I could finish lol

The Glyphstone
2013-01-05, 10:30 PM
Of course, most adventuring parties will simply sell the talking gem.

First they have to catch it, and at 30ft./round, it's faster than anyone who's not a Monk or Barbarian, has a natural Climb speed, and is Tiny, able to fit places a Medium creature can't.

Greenish
2013-01-05, 10:55 PM
First they have to catch it, and at 30ft./round, it's faster than anyone who's not a Monk or Barbarian, has a natural Climb speed, and is Tiny, able to fit places a Medium creature can't.Who doesn't keep a kobold monk minion around just for situations like this? :smallconfused:

Flickerdart
2013-01-06, 12:28 AM
Who doesn't keep a kobold monk minion around just for situations like this? :smallconfused:
Maybe your Kobold Monk died. Say, of a stiff breeze.

Rubik
2013-01-06, 12:29 AM
Maybe your Kobold Monk died. Say, of a stiff breeze.Maybe the psicrystal killed him...and psicrystals don't even have attacks!