PDA

View Full Version : Summoning Circle Questions

Chilingsworth
2013-01-06, 05:04 AM
Hey Playgrounders!

I'm thinking about eventually making use of planar binding. I've already read the handbook on the subject, but I still had a couple of questions:

1. What would happen if I used a pair of magic circles appropriate to the target outsider's alignment (example, MC vs Evil and MC vs Chaos in trapping a succubus?) Also, could I even do that?

2. Is there a way to build a permenant summoning circle, similiar to the one seen in Cadderly's temple in one of the Drizzt books? Specifically, I'd like to have a set of permenantly inscribed circles (one for each alignment) preferably in the same diagram, so that it's relatively compact, and I can get any benefit that might exist for using multiple circles on the same outsider. Having to renew the dimentional anchor trap each time I use it is acceptable, though if this can also be made permenant, that would be nice.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 03:28 PM
So, is there no way to do what I've described? :smallfrown:

LTwerewolf
2013-01-07, 03:33 PM
From a player's perspective or a dm's?

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 03:35 PM
From a player's perspective or a dm's?

From a player's.

LTwerewolf
2013-01-07, 03:56 PM
From the SRD:

You can add a special diagram (a two-dimensional bounded figure with no gaps along its circumference, augmented with various magical sigils) to make the magic circle more secure. Drawing the diagram by hand takes 10 minutes and requires a DC 20 Spellcraft check. You do not know the result of this check. If the check fails, the diagram is ineffective. You can take 10 when drawing the diagram if you are under no particular time pressure to complete the task. This task also takes 10 full minutes. If time is no factor at all, and you devote 3 hours and 20 minutes to the task, you can take 20.

A successful diagram allows you to cast a dimensional anchor spell on the magic circle during the round before casting any summoning spell. The anchor holds any called creatures in the magic circle for 24 hours per caster level. A creature cannot use its spell resistance against a magic circle prepared with a diagram, and none of its abilities or attacks can cross the diagram. If the creature tries a Charisma check to break free of the trap (see the lesser planar binding spell), the DC increases by 5. The creature is immediately released if anything disturbs the diagram—even a straw laid across it. However, the creature itself cannot disturb the diagram either directly or indirectly, as noted above.

This spell is not cumulative with protection from evil and vice versa.

The diagram is permanent, the spell itself is not. As far as #1, I do not recall any rule specifying against it.

Deophaun
2013-01-07, 03:57 PM
1. What would happen if I used a pair of magic circles appropriate to the target outsider's alignment (example, MC vs Evil and MC vs Chaos in trapping a succubus?) Also, could I even do that?
I'm not sure that you can. While normally it wouldn't be an issue, for your purposes there's a circle of powdered silver for each casting that cannot be broken. It's possible that drawing one circle disrupts the other. Ask your DM.

That said, there's really no reason to. If you include a diagram in the magic circle, then the strength of the magic circle is absolute, and the weak link becomes the planar binding spell.

2. Is there a way to build a permenant summoning circle, similiar to the one seen in Cadderly's temple in one of the Drizzt books? Specifically, I'd like to have a set of permenantly inscribed circles (one for each alignment) preferably in the same diagram, so that it's relatively compact, and I can get any benefit that might exist for using multiple circles on the same outsider. Having to renew the dimentional anchor trap each time I use it is acceptable, though if this can also be made permenant, that would be nice.
Yes. The Stronghold Builder's Guide has such a thing. Because it's immovable, the price is 500 X Spell level X Caster level.

Ask your DM how this circle would work. Due to how the spell is described, it would only be able to hold a called creature for 5 days because of its low CL, which makes it almost worthless. If your DM allows it to hold a called creature indefinitely, then it's a bargain.

Noctani
2013-01-08, 12:40 AM
A rune caster could make it permanent, have the rune activated on touch.

mattie_p
2013-01-08, 12:55 AM
You would need to cast the spell that calls the creature within 1 round of casting the magic circle. (Presumably they mean start casting. That 10-minute casting time might otherwise be a problem.) Even if you can get two standard action circle spells in before you call the creature, the duration overlaps, it won't stack.

Sudain
2013-01-08, 12:57 AM
Rune caster? Where is this from?