PDA

View Full Version : Concentrating on Multiple spells

zoobob9
2013-01-06, 11:36 AM
Are there any rules for concentrating on multiple spells that all have a duration of Concentration? For example, could I have more than one silent image in use at a given time? I've looked through the PH1 and haven't found anything specific, and my Google-Fu is failing me. Thanks in advance.

Douglas
2013-01-06, 11:40 AM
Concentrating on a spell requires a standard action each round. To concentrate on multiple spells, you would need multiple standard actions each round.

Deophaun
2013-01-06, 11:45 AM
No.

The rule is that you cannot concentrate to maintain multiple spell effects, regardless of how many actions you have. Even the extraordinary concentration feat in Complete Adventurer does not give you that ability.

Archmage1
2013-01-06, 11:46 AM
or... the swift concentration skill trick, which would let you concentrate as a swift for one spell, and a standard for the other.

Edit: Swordsaged, by someone who actually knows the rule.

Deophaun
2013-01-06, 11:54 AM
Edit: Swordsaged, by someone who actually knows the rule.
Bah, I'm slightly wrong. You cannot cast a spell while maintaining one (ergo, you wouldn't be able to maintain concentration on two spells). It's funny that extraordinary concentration doesn't do what it says on the tin. The description says it lets you cast spells while maintaining existing effects, but the benefit gives you no such thing. Probably belongs in the dysfunctional rules section.

But yeah, the swift concentration skill trick suffers from the same problem.

Edit: But, there is the sonorous hum spell in Savage Species. It's an expensive tax of a standard action and a level 3 spell slot, but it does let you do what you want.

mattie_p
2013-01-06, 11:57 AM
Familiar Concentration feat from Lost Empires of Faerun lets you transfer the spell to your familiar to concentrate on for you.

flare'90
2013-01-06, 12:04 PM
The sonorus hum spell from Spell Compendium mantains the concentration for one spell for you, allowing you to cast and concentrate on another other spell.

mattie_p
2013-01-06, 12:10 PM
Psionics does everything better. Manifest schism (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/schism.htm) and take a 2nd purely mental standard action per turn to concentrate.

Allanimal
2013-01-06, 01:42 PM
A 10th level Spirit Shaman can concentrate on 2 spells at once.