PDA

View Full Version : Beguilers and Grease

koboldish
2013-01-06, 12:05 PM
Hello everyone,

I will be playing in a new campaign soon. I have usually played wizards, or sometimes rogues. I was looking through my books, and said "hey, a beguiler woud be perfect", so I looked at the class more. My favorite spell ever is grease, which, sadly, is not on the spell list. Is there any way to put it on there to make the class playable (in my mind, at least)? We are starting at level 1, which gets rid of a large number of options.

docnessuno
2013-01-06, 12:11 PM
While grease is a little gem, beguillers have access to a fair share of good/great 1st level control spells (color spray, sleep, obscuring mist, silent image), wich should be able to cover it's uses quite well.

willpell
2013-01-06, 12:13 PM
I do not think you can get it at level 1, but the beguiler does have the ability to add a handful of spells to their list at later levels. Per RAW a conjuration like Grease is not one of the options, but since it's sort of thematically appropriate for a "mystic trickster" to have this spell, you may be able to talk your DM into allowing it.

SilverLeaf167
2013-01-06, 12:14 PM
Depending on how your group interprets the wording, the Extra Spell feat from Complete Arcane can give you a spell known from another spell list. You can't do this before 4th level though.

Failing that, you should just get a wand, or perhaps a runestaff. Runestaffs are found in Magic Item Compendium, give multiple thematically linked spells from different levels and use your characteristics (like CL, save DCs etc.) but require you to spend your own spell slots to use them and are limited to 3 times per day per spell. They're pretty cheap though (not cheap enough for first level, unfortunately) and awesome in general.

koboldish
2013-01-06, 12:17 PM
Thanks for all of the replies!

A wand would do nicely, and they do have some good spells that do the same thing. I don't like spending money, but I would if I had to. I don't currently have acess to the complete arcane, but I will look into that.

nedz
2013-01-06, 12:21 PM
A Wand won't help you since they are just spell storage devices which require that the spell be on your spell list, which it isn't. You would have to UMD the Wand, or get Grease on your spell list by some means — at which point the reason you bought the wand in the first place becomes moot.

Kadarai
2013-01-06, 12:21 PM
{Scrubbed}

koboldish
2013-01-06, 01:37 PM
I really wish it were on the spell list, but you are right about wands not helping. I would probably train UMD anyway even if I didn't get a wand. I'm still not sure what to do here...

Cruiser1
2013-01-06, 02:06 PM
My favorite spell ever is grease, which, sadly, is not on the spell list. Is there any way to put it on there to make the class playable (in my mind, at least)?
Grease is a Conjuration Spell. Simulate Grease by casting the illusion spell Shadow Conjuration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowConjuration.htm). Shadow Conjuration isn't on the Beguiler spell list either, so use Advanced Learning to acquire it. The only downside is this isn't available at level 1.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-01-06, 02:13 PM
Take the feats Magical Training (PGtF) and Versatile Spellcaster (RotD).

Magical Training gives you a spellbook into which you've already scribed several spells, so you could reasonably learn and add more spells to it just like a Wizard does.

Versatile Spellcaster allows you to spend two spell slots of the same level to cast any spell you know of one level higher. You could put Grease into that spellbook, and spend two 0-level Beguiler spell slots to cast it. The same goes for any spell on the Wizard spell list.

If you put a spell into your spellbook that's one level higher than your current highest-level spell slots, you can still cast it using two of those highest level spell slots. This will give you early access to the next higher level of spells, thus early knowledge of that level of the Beguiler class spell list. It also allows you to pick spells of one level higher via Advanced Learning.

Go Beguiler 5/ Mindbender 1/ Beguiler 14, so your Advanced Learning spells (considering the above trick) can be level 2, 5, 7, 9, and 9. My personal choices for these spells would be Ray of Stupidity, Shadow Form, Greater Shadow Conjuration, Greater Shadow Evocation, and Superior Invisibility. That level of Mindbender also allows you to take the feat Mindsight (LoM p126).

koboldish
2013-01-06, 02:14 PM
Well, I could just be a shadowcraft mage instead..... That seems like a good idea, because my group has decided shadowcraft mages are OP and should be banned. I'm not sure if the campaign will go on long enough for me to use shadow conjuration though.

Edit: I have RoTD and access to versatile spellcaster. What does PGtF stand for? Sorry, I don't have lots of books.
Edit #2: I checked, it's Player's Guide to Faerun. Setting specific, but it might be allowed. Thanks.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-01-06, 02:17 PM
Well, I could just be a shadowcraft mage instead..... That seems like a good idea, because my group has decided shadowcraft mages are OP and should be banned. I'm not sure if the campaign will go on long enough for me to use shadow conjuration though.

Edit: I have RoTD and access to versatile spellcaster. What does PGtF stand for? Sorry, I don't have lots of books.

Player's Guide to Faerun, but the feat itself isn't necessarily married to the setting.

koboldish
2013-01-06, 02:18 PM
Thanks. I'll try to use that.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-01-06, 02:23 PM
Another alternative would be to get Rainbow Servant via early entry shenanigans (Illumian with two flaws for Magical Training, Versatile Spellcaster, and Improved Sigil: Krau, Beguiler 1/ Rainbow Servant 10/ whatever), and get Ice Slick from Frostburn on the Cleric list. Note the Text > Table loophole of Rainbow Servant granting 10/10 casting rather than the 6/10 that the table shows.

koboldish
2013-01-06, 02:26 PM
Ummm.... No flaws, and I have no idea what most of that stuff is. I'm sure it works great though! Thanks for all of your help with my character.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-01-06, 02:29 PM
Ummm.... No flaws, and I have no idea what most of that stuff is. I'm sure it works great though! Thanks for all of your help with my character.

It actually still works if you go Illumian with Improved Sigil: Krau and Versatile Spellcaster via the bonus feat from moderate taint (Heroes of Horror). Taint has its own penalties though, so it may not be worth it.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-06, 02:32 PM
Just a warning. Rainbow bugilasnakes are pure cheeze. Just saying if shadow conjuration is banned this will fly as far as a brick.

docnessuno
2013-01-06, 02:46 PM
Another option is getting one (or more) Eternal wand (MiC 159) of grease.

Unlike normal wands, eternal wands can be activated by any arcane caster, without the need of having hte spell on its class list.

The DC would obviously be quite low (11), put the price is affordable (820 gp) and the eternal wand allows you to casti it 2/day for the time being.

rot42
2013-01-06, 04:34 PM
{scrub the post, scrub the quote}

Cool it with the rape jokes, 'k? You can be funny and informative without stooping so low.

willpell
2013-01-07, 12:54 AM
Cool it with the rape jokes, 'k?

Aw, I missed it....

Darth_Versity
2013-01-07, 05:15 AM
A custom or altered bloodline feat from Dragon Compendium would allow you to add it. You'd have to work with your DM, but I'd allow a new one that fit thematicaly if I was DM.

The easiest is to change the fire bloodline which offers Hypnotism at 1st lvl, which isn't very fire like. Grease can at least be set on fire, so more appropriate.

JaronK
2013-01-07, 05:25 AM
The grease spell can't be set on fire though (there's a 3rd level version of the spell that can).

JaronK

Spuddles
2013-01-07, 05:26 AM
Versatile spellcaster and extra spell should do it, by reasonably non-strict readings of the feats.

Darrin
2013-01-07, 08:14 AM
Arcane Disciple: Slime domain would give you grease at least 1/day and put it on your spell list for wands.

Wyrm Wizard might be worth a look.

nedz
2013-01-07, 08:37 AM
The grease spell can't be set on fire though (there's a 3rd 2nd level version of the spell that can).
JaronK

FTFY :smallsmile:
Incendiary Slime, CMage, level 2.

willpell
2013-01-07, 11:38 AM
The easiest is to change the fire bloodline which offers Hypnotism at 1st lvl, which isn't very fire like. Grease can at least be set on fire, so more appropriate.

Fire is pretty and can be mesmerizing to watch. I would veto this change.