PDA

View Full Version : Dose a caster level = a spell level?

dantiesilva
2013-01-06, 01:25 PM
I am trying to get into Rainbow servant at level 2, saw it online that it could be done, and was wondering if it could be done without Versatile spellcaster? And the DM is allowing the Illumian to have both sigils at first level.

The race Illumian
Power Sigils Krau (+1CL) and Vaul (+1 to cha checks and cha based skills)

Class Warmage

Feats
Spellcasting prodigy ( +2 to cha for determining bonus spells)
Enhanced power sigils ( Making Caster level now be +3 and +3 to cha checks and cha based skills)
Snowcasting (+1 CL as long as you include snow in the material components.)

This would make a Lesser orb of Acid deal 3d8+Int bonus to damage. Making it a 5th level spell in essence at least, so would it qualify for you to enter Rainbow servant Legally?

Story
2013-01-06, 01:31 PM
No, Caster Level is irrelevant. You need to actually change the spell level.

Off the top of my head, ways to do this include

Illumian
Sanctum Spell
Earth Spell (requires 3 feats)
Versatile Spellcaster (depending on interpretation)

Overall, it's not easy, though at least it's at least easier than trying to get around skill requirements.

dantiesilva
2013-01-06, 01:34 PM
Well I have the race, but I do not get how that would boost the spell level. It increases the caster level.

Story
2013-01-06, 01:39 PM
It lets you take the Improved Sigil (Krau) feat.

When you cast one of the chosen spells, the spell's effective level is increased by 1

Of course if you're trying to combine multiple spell level increases, you're going to be very feat starved.

shadow_archmagi
2013-01-06, 01:41 PM
Improved Krau is a feat that allows you to increase the spell level by one.

dantiesilva
2013-01-06, 01:44 PM
Thank you everyone you have been very helpful. Lets hope this works out correctly in the long run, and it goes text over table as otherwise I will have to scrap the build.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-06, 01:50 PM
You need a spell that counts as a third level spell, as in 3rd level spell slot.

Heighten spell can raise a spell one level. The trick is to do this with lower level slots. Versatile spellcaster lets you trade 2 lower level slots to get a spell one level higher, allowing a heightened spell to be used to fake the next spell level.

Then apply easy metamagic or some other metamagic cost reducer to get 3rd level slots from a single level spell.

shadow_archmagi
2013-01-06, 02:01 PM
Earth Spell would work, but then you have too many feats for a level 1 character to ever do it. What about Sanctum Spell and Krau? Admittedly, that means dipping into flaws, which is cheesetastic. Then again, rainbow servant at level 2 is cheesetastic anyway.

dantiesilva
2013-01-06, 02:14 PM
this is the end build, realized at the end really couldn't do much with my last few levels and saying it is a one time use character It should do, ended up taking 3 levels of warmage for the free Advanced learning