PDA

View Full Version : Balance-Themed PrC's? Also Sorcerer PrC Question

Rossebay
2013-01-06, 01:32 PM
I have a friend who's playing an Incarnate, I think?
Not the incarnum class, though. The paladin variant that focuses on a balance in all things. We're looking for somewhere to take the character. He's water-focused, because my Sorcerer that he's sworn to keep in line by a high order has a thing for fire.

So anyway, we're looking for a prestige class that focuses on a balance, but doesn't drop the fact that he hits things with weapons and doesn't care too much for spellcasting. Any suggestions?

And as a side note, I'm playing a sorcerer but I want to throw in some Gish without sacrificing many caster levels. Is Swiftblade a good choice and how many levels should I take?

Eonir
2013-01-06, 01:39 PM
No ideas on the balance thing. But probably the most painless way to gish a sorcerer is to use this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer) variant.

Also, the Abjurant Champion (CM) is an easy, full casting, 5 level, full BaB prc to get into. A level in Spellsword (CW?) is always nice as well.

Rossebay
2013-01-06, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I know about Battle Sorcerer and Abjurant Champion... Thank you though, I had forgotten about abjurant champion for a bit there.
Battle Sorcerer is painful with the lost spells known, and Abjurant Champion's late entry means I'm not gishy until lategame. I'm definitely going to take it, and Spellsword, but still. It's been a while since I've played 3.5, so I'm just trying to get familiar with the options again.
And as a note, my DM has given me fine telekinetic manipulation of objects up to 5 lbs./character level at a range of 25ft+5/level, and I can attack with it with my base attack+charisma mod on the attack roll, base damage.

Anyway, balance needn't be in the class description as much as in the mechanics. Anything can be refluffed. I know of shadow sun ninja, but that doesn't exactly transition into a paladin very well.

Piggy Knowles
2013-01-06, 02:51 PM
The balancing lorecall spell is a lot of fun, letting you use your Balance skill to walk on vertical surfaces, liquids and more. Not going to break the game by any stretch of the imagination, but I like it, and it seems like it fits.

Unfortunately, it seems to be on pretty much everyone's spell list except the paladin's - rangers, druids and wizards all get it. A Sword of the Arcane Order paladin could pick it up. A Consecrated Harrier could also pick it up, although that requires you to be Lawful - are Incarnates LN or TN? It's been a while since I leafed through my old DragMags.

Rossebay
2013-01-06, 02:58 PM
Hahaha.
Piggy, I meant Balance as in the idea. The concept, having things be equal. Not the actual skill. I suppose I should've been more clear.
Though I get the feeling he'd like the spell... haha.

Anyway, Incarnates are TN.

Piggy Knowles
2013-01-06, 03:13 PM
Ha, yeah, I figured that out after I'd already posted, and I read your latest post a little closer (where you mention Shadow Sun Ninja). Still, it's a cool spell conceptually - the idea that you're so centered, you can walk on walls or water.

Eonir
2013-01-06, 03:19 PM
And as a note, my DM has given me fine telekinetic manipulation of objects up to 5 lbs./character level at a range of 25ft+5/level, and I can attack with it with my base attack+charisma mod on the attack roll, base damage.

Like, at will? Because if that is so you could look into master thrower. It doesn't advance casting, but a friend of mine had a master thrower character that turned most fights trivial with his awesomeness.

Maybe Ray Sniper (or ray wizard or whatever-its-called from CS)?

The spells (both known and a-day) lost are not fun, but it isn't too bad. As a sorcerer, and especially a gish, you will be a much more focused caster anyways (mostly buffs), so the fewer spells won't effect you nearly as much as you might think. And anything else you just HAVE to get can be picked up with Knowstones.

I would go battlesorcerer7/abjurantchampion5/fighter(or any martial weapon class)1)/spellsword1/eldritchknight6. That grants you 9th level spells and +18 bab.

Rossebay
2013-01-06, 06:53 PM
I suppose I should have mentioned this, too.

My role is still full caster, and the only full caster in the party. I'm just looking for some gishy touches for versatility, as the rest of the party consists of halfcasters or less.
Since they can't always be there to defend my squishy self, it's always nice to be able to go ahead and cross blades with my enemy a few times without being turned into mincemeat. And our DM doesn't exactly force us to stay together, and our party is diverse, so I can expect to be on my own quite a few times.

Swiftblade, then, interests me because of the melee miss chance. And Abjurant Champion for the health and AC boost. But since I won't be focusing on melee engagement, I'm just going slight gish.
And I'm not using things like incantatrix because the rest of the party wants to do things, too. I forgot all about Eldritch Knight...

But alright. Enough about the gishing.
Yes, the Telekinesis is at-will. We've set up some more balancing rules, because without them, it's basically the spell at will.

---------------------------------------

Ying/Yang-inspired PrC's, any of them? They don't quite have to be martial-focused, but it'd be nice. Anything elementally-related that grants access to water and fire powers, or all four elements, those could all be cool

Sgt. Cookie
2013-01-06, 07:29 PM
Assuming you're starting at level 9 or greater, 1 level of Cleric, followed by 7 levels of Archivist going into Prestige Paladin might be the way to go. By level 20 you'd end up with all Paladin abilities, sans one or two uses of Smite Evil, coupled with 7th level spells. From ANY Divine Spell casting list.

Granted, Archivist isn't the best choice for Prestige Paladin (I rated it Above Average, I think) but the flexability in your spell choice may be much more useful to the concept.

All of this is available online, Prestige Paladin is in the SRD and Archivist is available on the WoTC website. Just google both and you'll find them.

EDIT: I almost forgot, since you do have normal Paladin Abilities, you can still ACF them, or even convert the entire PrC to Variants.

Eonir
2013-01-07, 12:37 AM
My role is still full caster, and the only full caster in the party.

The build I posted gives 9th level spells. And if WBL is obeyed you should have no problem picking up any missed spells with some Knowstones.

As for the PrC, maybe Elemental Savant from CM?

I haven't really read it, so don't quote me on this, but the Void Disciple (CM again I think) MIGHT be about balance.