PDA

View Full Version : Antimagic Field effects

Anthrowhale
2013-01-06, 07:38 PM
The ExFighter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265730) post brought up a rules dispute related to the effect of Antimagic Field that I'd like to settle further if possible.

Does the Rules Cyclopedia Antimagic description trump the Antimagic Field description for the effect of Antimagic Field?

Yes implies that Antimagic Field suppresses artifacts (such as the sphere of annihilation) since there is no exception for artifacts in the Rules Cyclopedia.

No implies that Antimagic Field does not wink out incorporeal nonundead (which ExFighter could easily be) as the AMF spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm) only winks out incorporeal undead.

The rules could easily be ambiguous, so I'd like to know which subset of interpretations you consider plausibly correct.

Venusaur
2013-01-06, 07:54 PM
If we are going by strict RAW, everything in the Rules Compendium entry refers to an "antimagic area", not "antimagic field" besides how it functions with disjunction. Therefore, the spell is unaffected.

Anthrowhale
2013-01-06, 08:51 PM
I'm interested in both RAW and RAI, to whatever extent it can be divined.

If we are going by strict RAW, everything in the Rules Compendium entry refers to an "antimagic area", not "antimagic field" besides how it functions with disjunction. Therefore, the spell is unaffected.

It would only be unaffected if an antimagic field does not create an antimagic area, right?

The first paragraph starts with "antimagic field" and then uses "antimagic areas" and "antimagic effect" in an apparently interchangeable fashion, implying that an antimagic field creates an antimagic area with an antimagic effect.

More generally, are there any antimagic sources not referencing the AMF spell? It would seem implausible that a section in Rules Cyclopedia is devoted to something that never occurs.

toapat
2013-01-06, 09:16 PM
i believe a trap in the Epic Level Handbook creates a zone of Antimagic, which when destroyed has an equal chance of equally buffing or destroying the players in range of it

Mato
2013-01-06, 09:19 PM
An antimagic area is a more accurate term to use than the spell Antimagic Field, after all Dead Magic zones exist in FR.

The linked post heavily suffers from tl;dr and after it assumes it can pick four creatures rather than four Ex abilities as the ability says, I lost all interest in reading it.

Edit - I reread you're post and opened the spoilers on the linked post to run a search.

RC's Antimagic rules do not say Incorpereal Undead remain unaffected by Antimagic. "Summoned creatures of any type disappear if they enter an antimagic area. Incorporeal creatures do the same." Something I'm sure was brought up within one of those several pages on the thread. However, in your lack of understanding, and lack of care to read the source books, and lack of care to post on topic over there, you missed it. Perhaps you may consider posting further questions regarding this build in it's thread?

Anthrowhale
2013-01-06, 09:42 PM
a trap in the Epic Level Handbook

Flux Slime create a caster level 21 Antimagic Field effect.

it assumes it can pick four creatures rather than four Ex abilities as the ability says

It's not relevant to this thread, but if you think there is a rules flaw, please discuss it in that thread. I don't believe there is one.

Incorpereal Undead remain unaffected by Antimagic.

That assertion was never made. If you want to comment on the ExFighter, please do so in the other thread. I'd like to just use this one to answer the stated question.