PDA

View Full Version : question about realm travel

Tentakel
2013-01-06, 09:20 PM
Hi,

in 2E you could travel between, say, Faerun and Krynn and Oerth through different means. Spelljammer allowed you to do so, as did planar travel (Ravenloft, for example, had former habitants of all the AD&D worlds so obviously some kind of planar travel was possible). I had always assumed that because all these worlds are essentially linked, the cosmology is the same (if you are Lawful Evil and you died in Faerun or in Oerth, your soul might go to the same hell, etc.)

3E basically mentions that there are minor differences in cosmology (Tiamat's home is on a different plane depending on where you are, etc.) but it essentially still works.

Now I'm no Eberron expert but I just picked up the 3E Eberron sourcebook and their cosmology is totally different. Can we assume there is no way to go, say, from Eberron to Faerun because they are "mutually exclusive", or is there any evidence this can be done and logically explained?

Rubik
2013-01-06, 11:03 PM
According to the Manual of the Planes, there are certain transitive planes that cross such boundaries, such as the Plane of Shadow, the Plane of Mirrors, and Faerie (though I'm fairly certain the latter isn't actually a transitive plane). Depending on your DM, you might have other means of doing so, such as through the Temporal Plane (which also allows time travel, though it's insanely dangerous) and the Far Realm.

DarkEternal
2013-01-06, 11:44 PM
If I remember correctly, there is actually a published way how to go from Eberron to Faerun. I forgot where I read it, but it's basically some sort of a tavern that people use as a gateway or something. I'm pretty sure that was official. Can't help you further with the name, only remember that the bartender is an epic level fighter.

Rubik
2013-01-06, 11:59 PM
If I remember correctly, there is actually a published way how to go from Eberron to Faerun. I forgot where I read it, but it's basically some sort of a tavern that people use as a gateway or something. I'm pretty sure that was official. Can't help you further with the name, only remember that the bartender is an epic level fighter.You mean something like this? (http://www.dndonlinegames.com/showthread.php?t=115740)

Also, epic fighters are a myth. It's like having an epic level packmule, though those actually DO exist, what with the titanic template and all...

Alleran
2013-01-07, 12:32 AM
If I remember correctly, there is actually a published way how to go from Eberron to Faerun. I forgot where I read it, but it's basically some sort of a tavern that people use as a gateway or something. I'm pretty sure that was official. Can't help you further with the name, only remember that the bartender is an epic level fighter.
It's the World Serpent Inn, a demiplane controlled by an overgod-like entity that can open doors into any place on any plane.

There are doors to basically any world, as long as you know where to look. The most well-known Faerunian door can be accessed by performing a little ritual outside the front door of an inn in Arabel (Cormyr), at which point opening the door to the inn will take you to the World Serpent instead. The most well-known Eberron door is outside a flower shop in Aundair, the Krynn door leads to Ishtar (some Krynn doors actually open up in a temporal shift, so they can allow for time travel to before the Cataclysm), and there's also a door to Athas as well. Oerth has a couple, but I don't remember where they open up beyond one depositing travelers near a fairly large city. There are many other doors to many other worlds, although not all are permanent. Some are only open at certain times, some are only open at certain places, and some are only open at certain perspectives (whatever that means).

The bartender is Mitchifer, a 20th level Paragon (the epic template) Human Fighter with unspecified additional powers (he has a beard made of tiny snakes). Among them is the ability that, if he is killed, he will reappear shortly afterward (not resurrected or anything, he just reappears) as if nothing had happened to him.

Other ways to move between Material Planes include the Plane of Shadow, the Dreamscape, the Far Realm (though it isn't recommended) and the Plane of Mirrors (just be quick, or else your mirror duplicate will hunt you down and kill you).