PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Incantrix

Story
2013-01-06, 11:20 PM
What would it take to nerf Incantrix to the point where people at least think twice before taking it?

Here are my ideas

2nd and 7th levels don't progress spellcasting
Metamagic costs cannot be reduced below zero
At most one spell can be persisted for free per day by any means.
5th level and higher spells cannot be persisted at all.

I think this allows the use of Incantrix's signature abilities while preventing some of the most broken silliness and making it no longer such an obvious choice to take. But I don't know anything about balance. What do you think?

Cranthis
2013-01-06, 11:23 PM
Well, for one, the metamagic cost thing is already there.

VGLordR2
2013-01-06, 11:28 PM
I've always found that a useful fix is to say that an Incantatrix cannot use his metamagic reduction ability on a spell unless he would otherwise be able to cast a spell of the modified level. So, for example, he could not cast a Persisted Enlarge Person unless he could cast seventh level spells. This goes a long way towards fixing the class.

Fyermind
2013-01-06, 11:30 PM
You cannot use free metamagic to make an effect of a higher level than you can normally cast.

That is a HUGE nerf, but I think it is not unreasonable given how powerful the abilities still are. If you want to make it a smaller nerf, you say higher than your level + X where X is a small number (say 3 would still be a major limit on persist goofiness).

Story
2013-01-06, 11:40 PM
Well, for one, the metamagic cost thing is already there.

I know that, but people often say they can reduce it below 0 by combining it with other sources. So I figured I should put that in there just to be safe.

Cranthis
2013-01-06, 11:41 PM
As far as I know, nothing can bring a metamagic to 0, except for Arcane Thesis. Which only works with one spell.

Eonir
2013-01-07, 12:42 AM
As far as I know, nothing can bring a metamagic to 0, except for Arcane Thesis. Which only works with one spell.

Metamagic School Focus (CM) can.

EDIT: Though granted, it's only for a single school of spells and only 3/day. But regardless, there it is.