PDA

View Full Version : Beetle Tank

Yomega
2013-01-07, 12:35 AM
Hello again playground I humbly submit to you another querry.

Anyways I just had a session that not everyone could make it to, so they got a side quest.

Among other things the necromancer got a beetle tank I told them it was a speacial spell used to make transport undead and explained that its in the condition of a 1970 ford van, rusted and unloved only 1 seat and alot of holes (I intend on them fixing it up).

So my question is what kind of stats or where could I find them for a creature like this I dont intend it to be a combat thing but my players like to play with there toys so I want to give them something.

Any advice would be grand thanks.

Eonir
2013-01-07, 12:51 AM
A large animated object maybe?

Yomega
2013-01-07, 01:12 AM
It needs to be undead(so it can be turned) mostly for flavor but mechanicaly sound and alot bigger the party is 5 pcs 2 cohorts and a bunch if pets.

They dont all have to fit but most of them do

Eonir
2013-01-07, 02:09 AM
IIRC, the Bone Creature Template (BoVD) can be applied to vermin. I think an advanced Bone Creature Giant Stag Beetle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/giantStagBeetle.htm) would be appropriate, if not a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 02:28 AM
Even a huge creature would only be able to carry four medium sized creatures. Well, maybe if you had half the party ride inside it and the others up topside, it would work.

Another (though living and probably more powerful than you want) option would be a siege crab from, MMIII, iirc.

EDIT: For what it's worth, you could make an argument that a stag beetle is eligibe for the skeleton template, since the template just requires corpreality and a skeletal system (doesn't specify endoskeleton:smallwink:)

If you applied it to a stag beetle advanced to huge size (minimum 11HD, it would look like this (I think):

Advanced Stag Beetle Skeleton
Huge Undead
HD 11d12 Hp 72
Initiative +4
Speed: 20ft
AC: 11 (-2 size, +3 natural) Flat Footed: 11, Touch: 8
BAB/Grp: +5/+23
Attack: +13 melee (Bite 4d8+15)
Full Attack: +13 melee (Bite 4d8+15)
Space/Reach: 15/10
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: DR 5/bludegoning, Darvision 60, Immunity to Cold, Undead Traits
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +7
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 10, Con --, Int --, Wis 10, Cha 1
Feats: Improved Initiative
CR 5 (supposedly)

Note that those stats are for a beetle in perfect condition. Personally, I have a hard time imagining myself using one for transport. Even a zombie might be better, since that would not only keep the creature's natural armor, but would get a bonus to it. Of course, you could use the fast zombie varriant template out of Libris Mortis for it. Or better yet, let the PC's upgrade the thing by adding one or more of the varriant templates to it, maybe?

EDIT2: Looking at the Fast Zombie template in LM, it looks to me like it would be near perfect for your needs. A fast zombie advanced stag beetle would be much tougher (having slightly more than double Hp and much higher AC) and actually faster than the skeleton. You'd have to decide weather or not such a zombie can be hollowed out, though.

Yomega
2013-01-07, 10:04 PM
I cant seem to find the fast zombie template do you happen to know what page its on?

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 10:07 PM
I cant seem to find the fast zombie template do you happen to know what page its on?

It's on Pg 173 of Libris Mortis. It's an addition to/modification of the zombie template in the MM/SRD.

EDIT: I'd whip up its stat block for you, but since it uses non OGL material, doing so would be against forum rules.

Yomega
2013-01-07, 10:33 PM
Thanks I found it I think in the end Im going to just hand wave and say they have a fast bone skeliton huge stag beetle and lower its stats a bit (from damage and disrepair) the ac lost from not going zombie will be made up by the fact I told them they could get it armor plated and encourage them to get a trailor :smallbiggrin:

Chilingsworth
2013-01-08, 02:07 AM
Oh, one thing I forgot: the HD advancement would entitle the stag beetle to an ability score increase, probably to be placed in strength. So, its strength should be one higher than I indicated. And, that would increase its to hit and damage by +1 each, and its carrying capacity, of course.

Yomega
2013-01-08, 10:02 PM
I just finished the stat block that Im going to give my players but nothing I saw in the templates said to change its alignment is that right?

Darth Stabber
2013-01-08, 11:24 PM
In the game I am currently running where the party has a spider tank made from the exoskeleton of a giant spider like oni (from oa). Since most of the party is small, they can fit in the huge creature. Between that, the triceratops skeleton, huge white dragon zombie, and the dread necromancer's wolf skeleton they have an armada of necrotic "vehicles". They have used know: architecture and engineering, craft: taxidermy, and corpsecrafter to outfit them with armor plating (barding) and access.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-08, 11:53 PM
I just finished the stat block that Im going to give my players but nothing I saw in the templates said to change its alignment is that right?

Well, zombies and skeletons are always neutral evil. (Yes, they're mindless, still neutral evil.)

Yomega
2013-01-09, 12:02 AM
Thanks I just couldnt see where it told me to change allignment but Im sure thats right thanks

Chilingsworth
2013-01-09, 12:13 AM
Thanks I just couldnt see where it told me to change allignment but Im sure thats right thanks

No problem, let us know how the thing works out, ok? :smallbiggrin:

Yomega
2013-01-12, 07:44 PM
It worked out great they all spent quite a bit of time playing with it.

In the end they attached a balista on the top and rigged a small catupult as a self righting mechanism.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-12, 08:20 PM
It worked out great they all spent quite a bit of time playing with it.

In the end they attached a balista on the top and rigged a small catupult as a self righting mechanism.

good. So, they haven't managed to destroy it, yet? :smallwink:

Yomega
2013-01-12, 08:33 PM
No not yet but there heading to the elemental plane of air knowing them they might try to take it with them

Chilingsworth
2013-01-12, 11:45 PM
No not yet but there heading to the elemental plane of air knowing them they might try to take it with them

:smalleek:

Well, for what it's worth, I posted a question about one of the implications of that in the planar questions thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14519399#post14519399)