PDA

View Full Version : Evil Campaign, is this idea an option?

MicHag
2013-01-07, 10:56 AM
For a new campaign, i was considering some options.
An evil campaign was something i always wanted to do, but didn't quite know how to handle them walking around in towns, probably doing random evil stuff. Any scenario in my mind resulted in "the community" rising up against them as a whole, changing any goal i had set in mind for them.

After letting that idea go and looking at further options, i thought something up where the players would help Lord X claim the throne after the previous king was murdered (Game of Thrones inspired probably). The players would get armies they would need to move, and the characters would either help an army (when the army fights, the characters would fight part of that battle, and if they win, the army gets a bonus. Armies in this case consist of dice that are rolled against each other, bigger armies->more dice) or they would go of to some kind of quest which would help in some other way, like gaining allies or weakening opponents.

Once i liked that idea, i figured this kind of campaign would actually work with evil characters.

I would start with them being contacted by a mysterious person, claiming to be a merchant. They would be sent on some quests, but they would not be informed of the larger picture yet.
As it turns out, the quests so far have in some way to do with the mysterious person gaining allies or creating feuds between certain powerful people. The final quest is assassinating the king.
After that, the plot is revealed, the mysterious person is in fact the lord of the south or whatever. He wants to claim the throne and the party is asked to join him in his war......
The war itself would be a complete change of campaign, where the players (not the characters) are suddenly controlling armies (as well as their characters).

Would this work?
Would you think you would enjoy this?
Do you have any suggestions?