PDA

View Full Version : Blaster Psion/Anarchic Initiate

Xenogears
2013-01-07, 11:42 AM
So just for fun I'm thinking about building a Psion that focuses on damage dealing spells (with a few spells too fun flavor-wise to pass up like Death Urge) with the plan to take a 1 lvl dip in Anarchic Initiate for some added randomness and fun.

Other than getting Overchannel (to qualify for Anarchic since wilder is too limiting for my tastes) and probably Talented (enough good 3rd lvl or lower manifestations to make this good especially in low levels when the 1d8 dmg from overchanneling could be a huge chunk of my HP) I don't really have any plans for what feats to get.

This isn't for a specific campaign so any source is okay and I'll just narrow it down whenever I get the chance to actually use the character.

My race is probably going to be either Lesser Tiefling (mostly for flavor) or just plain old Human.

LanSlyde
2013-01-07, 12:28 PM
So just for fun I'm thinking about building a Psion that focuses on damage dealing spells (with a few spells too fun flavor-wise to pass up like Death Urge) with the plan to take a 1 lvl dip in Anarchic Initiate for some added randomness and fun.

Other than getting Overchannel (to qualify for Anarchic since wilder is too limiting for my tastes) and probably Talented (enough good 3rd lvl or lower manifestations to make this good especially in low levels when the 1d8 dmg from overchanneling could be a huge chunk of my HP) I don't really have any plans for what feats to get.

This isn't for a specific campaign so any source is okay and I'll just narrow it down whenever I get the chance to actually use the character.

My race is probably going to be either Lesser Tiefling (mostly for flavor) or just plain old Human.

Here's a progression for you, take 6 levels of psion, 4 levels of Anarchic Initiate, and then finish it out with 10 levels of Slayer. You are now a Gish without ever taking levels in a class that doesn't progress your manifesting.

But if that doesn't suit you just cap out AI. No seriously, Anarchic Initiate is Psion2.0.

Psyren
2013-01-07, 02:19 PM
Psionics has a lot of good feats for you to choose from.

You'll want Psionic Meditation for sure so you can focus faster.
Psicrystal Affinty/Containment are staples so that you can use metapsionics more effectively. Linked Power, Metapower, Extend Power, Quicken Power, Split Ray and Twin Power are all good options to look into from a metapsionics perspective. You'll probably want an Expanded Knowledge or two, and definitely take Hidden Talent at 1st-level if it's available so you can grab a nice power like Dimension Hop, as well as get some extra juice at low levels.

I honestly wouldn't bother with Talented, as once you get Wild Surge from AI you can do that instead of Overchanneling (and you can't do both anyway.) This should save you a feat.

Here's a progression for you, take 6 levels of psion, 4 levels of Anarchic Initiate, and then finish it out with 10 levels of Slayer. You are now a Gish without ever taking levels in a class that doesn't progress your manifesting.

Note that Slayer does lose 1 ML on entry. It's minor but worth mentioning for a build that can potentially get 20/20.

Story
2013-01-07, 03:23 PM
If all you want to do is blast stuff, have you considered looking at Tetsuo (http://agc.deskslave.org/files/EvilCharacters_Dan_Jill.doc) from Another Gaming Comic? He's a Wilder rather than a standard Psion, but he's definitely effective at blasting things.

You probably don't want to copy an existing character directly, but it could give you some more ideas.

Character Name: Tetsuo! (not my REAL name) Player: Nuclear Dan
Race: Human +1 feat at level one, +4 skill points at level one and +1/level thereafer
ExoticWeaponProficiency: Bastard Sword (houserule for human 'racial' weapon)

Lvl Class BaB F/ R/ W HP PP FEATURES (F=feat):
1 Wilder 0 0/ 0/+2 6 2 Education(F), Inquisitor(F),
Wildsurge +1, PsychicEnervation
2 Wilder +1 0/ 0/+1 4 6 EludeTouch(Cha to touch AC)
3 Wilder +1 +1/+1/ 0 4 11 PostponeEnervation(F), Wildsurge +2
4 Wilder +1 0/ 0/+1 4 17 SurgingEuphoria(+1 to hit, dmg, saves)
5 Wilder +0 0/ 0/ 0 4 25 VolatileMind(1pp)
6 Wilder +1 +1/+1/+1 4 35 ExpandedKnowledge[Mindlink](F),
7 Wilder +1 0/ 0/ 0 4 46 Wildsurge +3
8 Thrallherd +0 0/ 0/+2 3 - Thrallherd
9 AnarchicInit +0 0/ 0/+2 4 58 ExpandedKnowledge[DispelPsionics](F), ChaoticSurge
10 AnarchicInit +1 0/ 0/+1 4 72 AnarchicGrace(1/day)
11 AnarchicInit +1 +1/+1/ 0 4 88 Wildsurge +4

BASE TOTAL: +7/+2 +3/+3/+10 45 88

(Thrallherd Prereqs: Inquisitor, Diplomacy 4, Knowledge[Psionics] 4, Manifestor Lvl 5, Mindlink)
(AnarchicInitiate Prereqs: Chaotic, Knowledge[Psionics] 8, Knowledge[the Planes] 8, Wild Surge)

STR: 8 -1 HP: 69 (45 + 2x11)
DEX: 10 0 REF: +0 +3 /+3
CON: 14 +2 FORT: +2 +3 /+5
WIS: 14 +2 WILL: +2 +10 /+12
INT: 10 0 LEADERSHIP: 20 (IGNORES modifiers from DMG pg106)
CHA: 20/26 +8 PP: 128 (88 + 40)

AC: 18 (10 +5[Armor] +3[Shield] +1[Deflection]
Touch: 18*(10 +8[Cha*] +1[Deflect])
*EludeTouch adds Cha to touch AC, but cannot cause touch AC to exceed normal AC

PSIONICS CL: 10 PP: 128 (88+4x10)
L1(1) EmptyMind, Vigor, Mindlink
L2(3) EnergyStun (1d6 DC 20/12d6 DC 31) - Avg: 42/67/91 (+1 if Fire/Cold)
L3(5) Dispel, EnergyBurst (3d6 DC 21/14d6 DC 25) - Avg: 49/74/98 (+14 if Fire/Cold)
L4(7) DimensionDoor
L5(9) -none known-

FEATS: Education, Inquisitor, PostponeEnervation, ExpandedKnowledge(Mindlink),
EmpowerPower
ABILITIES: WildSurge +4, SurgingEuphoria(+1 atk,dmg,saves), EludeTouch(Cha to Touch AC),
AnarchicSurge[1d100; 1-25 = 100%, 26-50 = 50%, 51-75 = 150%, 76-100 = 200%]
SKILLS: Concentration 14(16), Diplomacy 4(12), Tumble 14(14), Knowledge[ThePlanes] 8(9),
Knowledge[Psionics] 8(9), Spellcraft 14(14), Spot 0(2), Bluff 0(8), Intimidate 0(8),
Listen 6(8)

FOLLOWERS:
L10 Thrall Rogue 10 HP: 62 Base: +7/+2 AC: 18 REF: +14(16)/FORT: +6/WILL: +4
+1 Bastardsword: +8/+3, 1d10+2 (+5d6 SA) Gear: +1 sword,armor,resist cloak
ImprovedEvasion, ImprovedUncannyDodge, Feats: LightningReflexes, DiveForCover, HeatEndurance, ImpHeatEndurance
Lvl5: 1 Lvl4: 2 Lvl3:3 Lvl2:5
Lvl1: 50 Barbarians /Sorcerors /Wilders

Magical Equipment:
4200 Circlet of wild surging (3/day)
3000 ThirdEyeClarity(1/day)
36000 +6 Cloak of Charisma
+3750 +VanisherCloak (3c/day) <- Item combining rules from Magic Item Compendium pg 233
9250 +1 GreaterBlurring Chain Shirt
1150 +1 Large Shield
2000 +1 Deflection Ring

6650 <-- assorted scrolls and wands
--------------------
66000 <- Level 11 Starting wealth

Min/Max Notes: Dan wanted to move towards psionics this time, if nothing other than making himself less predictable. After reading the material, he quickly gravitated to the Wilder who (despite a CRIPPLING shortage of powers known) could Wild Surge for extra damage dice, and still had a couple good AoEs. His interest was piqued by the Anarchic Initiate's even more powerful (and super-random) version of the Wild Surge, allowing for excessive damage spikes. Seven levels in Wilder and 3 in Anarchic gave him the maximum amount of Wild Surge he could get at level 11, so Dan started looking around for a one-level splash. Though he almost skipped it entirely, he ended up reading and going with the Thrallherd – firstly, because he decided that “lack of meat-wall” was one of his problems in the Old Evil Campaign (that and being the “designated mind-control gimp”), and secondly, “he gets his whole class at the first level!” By maxxing his Cha (which he would do anyway for his casting), he could get a cohort only one level lower than himself, plus a veritable army of meat-shields, all of whom would follow him no matter how he treated them and would replace themselves on a daily basis if they happened to die in the line of duty (or “accidental” Energy Bursts). He was somewhat miffed when he learned that his “free” army would cost not only a character level but TWO feats, because Inquisitor was a prereq (and forcing him to have 13+ Wis) and the Mindlink power was not on his list. He was already hurting for feats because Anarchic needed 8 ranks of Arcana (not a class skill, thus Education), and because Postpone Enervation was more or less essential for a functional Wilder. As far as his Level 10 Rogue Cohort, Davros wouldn't let Dan minmax him as he wanted, nor did he get PC starting wealth, but as a compromise (for making him mono-class with standard array stats), Davros did let Dan choose his Cohort's feat selection, allowing him to build a “fireball-resistant” minion.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't notice you specifically ruled out Wilder.

Xenogears
2013-01-07, 07:53 PM
If all you want to do is blast stuff, have you considered looking at Tetsuo (http://agc.deskslave.org/files/EvilCharacters_Dan_Jill.doc) from Another Gaming Comic? He's a Wilder rather than a standard Psion, but he's definitely effective at blasting things.

You probably don't want to copy an existing character directly, but it could give you some more ideas.

Character Name: Tetsuo! (not my REAL name) Player: Nuclear Dan
Race: Human +1 feat at level one, +4 skill points at level one and +1/level thereafer
ExoticWeaponProficiency: Bastard Sword (houserule for human 'racial' weapon)

Lvl Class BaB F/ R/ W HP PP FEATURES (F=feat):
1 Wilder 0 0/ 0/+2 6 2 Education(F), Inquisitor(F),
Wildsurge +1, PsychicEnervation
2 Wilder +1 0/ 0/+1 4 6 EludeTouch(Cha to touch AC)
3 Wilder +1 +1/+1/ 0 4 11 PostponeEnervation(F), Wildsurge +2
4 Wilder +1 0/ 0/+1 4 17 SurgingEuphoria(+1 to hit, dmg, saves)
5 Wilder +0 0/ 0/ 0 4 25 VolatileMind(1pp)
6 Wilder +1 +1/+1/+1 4 35 ExpandedKnowledge[Mindlink](F),
7 Wilder +1 0/ 0/ 0 4 46 Wildsurge +3
8 Thrallherd +0 0/ 0/+2 3 - Thrallherd
9 AnarchicInit +0 0/ 0/+2 4 58 ExpandedKnowledge[DispelPsionics](F), ChaoticSurge
10 AnarchicInit +1 0/ 0/+1 4 72 AnarchicGrace(1/day)
11 AnarchicInit +1 +1/+1/ 0 4 88 Wildsurge +4

BASE TOTAL: +7/+2 +3/+3/+10 45 88

(Thrallherd Prereqs: Inquisitor, Diplomacy 4, Knowledge[Psionics] 4, Manifestor Lvl 5, Mindlink)
(AnarchicInitiate Prereqs: Chaotic, Knowledge[Psionics] 8, Knowledge[the Planes] 8, Wild Surge)

STR: 8 -1 HP: 69 (45 + 2x11)
DEX: 10 0 REF: +0 +3 /+3
CON: 14 +2 FORT: +2 +3 /+5
WIS: 14 +2 WILL: +2 +10 /+12
INT: 10 0 LEADERSHIP: 20 (IGNORES modifiers from DMG pg106)
CHA: 20/26 +8 PP: 128 (88 + 40)

AC: 18 (10 +5[Armor] +3[Shield] +1[Deflection]
Touch: 18*(10 +8[Cha*] +1[Deflect])
*EludeTouch adds Cha to touch AC, but cannot cause touch AC to exceed normal AC

PSIONICS CL: 10 PP: 128 (88+4x10)
L1(1) EmptyMind, Vigor, Mindlink
L2(3) EnergyStun (1d6 DC 20/12d6 DC 31) - Avg: 42/67/91 (+1 if Fire/Cold)
L3(5) Dispel, EnergyBurst (3d6 DC 21/14d6 DC 25) - Avg: 49/74/98 (+14 if Fire/Cold)
L4(7) DimensionDoor
L5(9) -none known-

FEATS: Education, Inquisitor, PostponeEnervation, ExpandedKnowledge(Mindlink),
EmpowerPower
ABILITIES: WildSurge +4, SurgingEuphoria(+1 atk,dmg,saves), EludeTouch(Cha to Touch AC),
AnarchicSurge[1d100; 1-25 = 100%, 26-50 = 50%, 51-75 = 150%, 76-100 = 200%]
SKILLS: Concentration 14(16), Diplomacy 4(12), Tumble 14(14), Knowledge[ThePlanes] 8(9),
Knowledge[Psionics] 8(9), Spellcraft 14(14), Spot 0(2), Bluff 0(8), Intimidate 0(8),
Listen 6(8)

FOLLOWERS:
L10 Thrall Rogue 10 HP: 62 Base: +7/+2 AC: 18 REF: +14(16)/FORT: +6/WILL: +4
+1 Bastardsword: +8/+3, 1d10+2 (+5d6 SA) Gear: +1 sword,armor,resist cloak
ImprovedEvasion, ImprovedUncannyDodge, Feats: LightningReflexes, DiveForCover, HeatEndurance, ImpHeatEndurance
Lvl5: 1 Lvl4: 2 Lvl3:3 Lvl2:5
Lvl1: 50 Barbarians /Sorcerors /Wilders

Magical Equipment:
4200 Circlet of wild surging (3/day)
3000 ThirdEyeClarity(1/day)
36000 +6 Cloak of Charisma
+3750 +VanisherCloak (3c/day) <- Item combining rules from Magic Item Compendium pg 233
9250 +1 GreaterBlurring Chain Shirt
1150 +1 Large Shield
2000 +1 Deflection Ring

6650 <-- assorted scrolls and wands
--------------------
66000 <- Level 11 Starting wealth

Min/Max Notes: Dan wanted to move towards psionics this time, if nothing other than making himself less predictable. After reading the material, he quickly gravitated to the Wilder who (despite a CRIPPLING shortage of powers known) could Wild Surge for extra damage dice, and still had a couple good AoEs. His interest was piqued by the Anarchic Initiate's even more powerful (and super-random) version of the Wild Surge, allowing for excessive damage spikes. Seven levels in Wilder and 3 in Anarchic gave him the maximum amount of Wild Surge he could get at level 11, so Dan started looking around for a one-level splash. Though he almost skipped it entirely, he ended up reading and going with the Thrallherd – firstly, because he decided that “lack of meat-wall” was one of his problems in the Old Evil Campaign (that and being the “designated mind-control gimp”), and secondly, “he gets his whole class at the first level!” By maxxing his Cha (which he would do anyway for his casting), he could get a cohort only one level lower than himself, plus a veritable army of meat-shields, all of whom would follow him no matter how he treated them and would replace themselves on a daily basis if they happened to die in the line of duty (or “accidental” Energy Bursts). He was somewhat miffed when he learned that his “free” army would cost not only a character level but TWO feats, because Inquisitor was a prereq (and forcing him to have 13+ Wis) and the Mindlink power was not on his list. He was already hurting for feats because Anarchic needed 8 ranks of Arcana (not a class skill, thus Education), and because Postpone Enervation was more or less essential for a functional Wilder. As far as his Level 10 Rogue Cohort, Davros wouldn't let Dan minmax him as he wanted, nor did he get PC starting wealth, but as a compromise (for making him mono-class with standard array stats), Davros did let Dan choose his Cohort's feat selection, allowing him to build a “fireball-resistant” minion.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't notice you specifically ruled out Wilder.

Well to be honest that character is where I got the idea from but I just don't want to be as limited in powers as him (especially since unlike him I probably won't be starting out at lvl 11).