PDA

View Full Version : Best Choices for Energy Resistance?

Th3_Nak3d_Gam3r
2013-01-07, 11:49 AM
So, I'm playing a Warlock and I'm about to hit level 10. This is where I pick my two energy types that I gain increasing resistance to and my choices are Acid, Electricity, Fire, Ice, and Sonic. Now, my conundrum is that I am absolutely horrid at making choices like this because I always think "Oh lord, but what if I pick fire and sonic and then he NEVER throws fire or sonic at me? What a waste!" So, in short, if you could pick two of the aforementioned energy types to have resistance to, which would be the best? Also, WHY you think they are best would be nice. Wide range of applications/Helps weaken a few powerful attacks/Etc.
Thanks in advance everyone!

Jeraa
2013-01-07, 11:52 AM
Fire and Cold are the two most common energy types. Those are the two I would pick.

I would never choose Sonic. There isn't a whole lot of sonic damage stuff.

Morcleon
2013-01-07, 11:53 AM
Fire and Cold. They also help against environmental dangers (if they ever actually come up).

If your DM tends to throw electricity or acid based creatures at you, you may want to consider getting fire and one of those.

Yora
2013-01-07, 12:03 PM
Yeah, fire is the obvious first choice and unless you have good reasons to want acid or electricity, cold is the best second choice.

Th3_Nak3d_Gam3r
2013-01-07, 12:33 PM
Well, this seems to be rather unanimous. Fire and Cold it is! Those were probably what I would have picked, but getting a second (and third and fourth) opinion was helpful.
Thanks everyone!

Siosilvar
2013-01-07, 12:53 PM
Yep, everything and its dog (often (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hellHound.htm) literally (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/winterWolf.htm)) has some sort of cold or fire attack.

This also means that using cold or fire yourself runs into problems with other things' resistances, but there are ways around that (and if you use both and run into immunity to one, it's usually also vulnerable to the other).

navar100
2013-01-07, 01:17 PM
Expect bad guys to occasionally attack with electricity or acid. It's going to happen. It's no big deal. If you're never attacked with fire or cold, or only rarely, and only attacked with electricity, acid, or sonic when energy attacks are done, tell the DM to stop being a donkey cavity.