PDA

View Full Version : Wii, PS3, Or 360?

theKOT
2006-11-02, 02:29 PM
With another round of console wars upon us, which are you gonna get? Vote and comment!

The Demented One
2006-11-03, 12:24 AM
I'm getting a Wii, though I really wish I could also afford a 360.

UnrealTiger
2006-11-03, 12:29 AM
Wii all the way baby, that is of course if I get one of the next-gen consoles at all.

Ah who am I kidding, I'll most likely get it as soon as it comes out, I've been without my Nintendo fix for too long (by Nintendo I mean Zelda:Twilight Princess, I swear if I don't play it I'll go crazy after having pre-ordered it back in June only for it to be delayed again and again ;_;)

theKOT
2006-11-03, 12:57 AM
I'm getting a Wii, though I really wish I could also afford a 360.
I wish I could get both, but for some reason they have to make me do this strange thing called "pay".... aigh...
At least the Wii looks fun.

Nero24200
2006-11-03, 07:19 AM
PS3 here for me. Also I'm not sure about the wii, the last thing I want is to announce to my firends "Hey guys, guess what, I managed to get a wii!"

Tormsskull
2006-11-03, 07:52 AM
Im really surprised by these results so far. I thought Nintendo was marketing mainly as a young kids system these days. I already have a 360, which is awesome (especially Oblivion) and a friend is getting PS3 so I don't see the point in getting one. I hadn't even looked at the Wii.

Rumda
2006-11-03, 07:55 AM
Im really surprised by these results so far. I thought Nintendo was marketing mainly as a young kids system these days. I already have a 360, which is awesome (especially Oblivion) and a friend is getting PS3 so I don't see the point in getting one. I hadn't even looked at the Wii.
well considering you haven't even lookled at the wii then its not suprising that you find i the results surprising

theKOT
2006-11-03, 10:22 AM
Very good answer Rumada.

No the wii is doing well cause this is a nerdy place it is using a new, fun system for video game control, and most people don't want to pay 600 bucks.
Ya know what? Don't listen to me. Just watch this. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2VMJgdDVs3M&mode=related&search=) THAT is why the Wii is doing well.

And let us not forget that nintendo won this year's E3 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gRAe4316uBs) while Sony failed miserably (http://youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4&mode=related&search=).
If you can believe it, there was even worse stuff than that.
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!

Crazy Owl
2006-11-03, 10:32 AM
I will probably get all of them at some point. I already have a 360 and I will probably get a Wii next. As for the PS3 that price as long way to drop before I buy it.

theKOT
2006-11-03, 10:36 AM
Seriously though. This was a terrible press conference for Sony. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=WW_OBVSd9TU&mode=related&search=)

But lets ignore the terrible job they did at hyping their system. It is going to be extremely powerful, and they are selling it at a three hundred dollar loss. A computer with the same specs as the PS3 would cost at least twice as much.

But I'm still a Wii60 guy.

Sony games are gonna cost 60 dollars. The system is going to be expensive for a long time, and by the time it is affordable, the next Xbox will be out. Not to mention that I wouldn't get to attached to Sony. Their business model is doomed. Selling at a three hundred dollar loss and using third party games means a gamer must buy at least seventeen PS3 games before they break even. They are already hurting from the laptop battery recall and if the PS3 flops, they could very well go bankrupt.

Alex Star
2006-11-03, 11:01 AM
I have a 360 and I'll be getting a Wii... eventually I'm sure I'll get a PS3 but right now the pricepoint on it coupled with Sonys arrogance towards the consumer is a little disheartening...

Lawful_Stupid
2006-11-03, 04:26 PM
Wii. I must have my Zelda now.

If Sony goes bankrupt from the PS3, hopefully Square goes to Nintendo. KH3 on Wii, I say.

The Black Prince
2006-11-03, 05:05 PM
I think I'll get the Wii because I currently own a gamecube and Smash Bros. whatever looks really cool. I just wish I coulld get all of them.

Ebonwoulfe
2006-11-15, 07:21 PM
It's not just this listing - it's everything about it. The Wii is going to kill. Just like the DS is the premire handheld gaming device, the Wii is going to be the premire home gaming device. Sure, the games may not have cutting edge HD-TV splitting goodness, but they're still going to be better than the GameCube. We won't be back in SNES days just because the console isn't as powerful as a PS3.

Another thing is that Wii hasn't set itself as an either one-or-the-other system. If you get a PS3 or 360, you can still afford a Wii. However, I don't think that many people will be getting both a 360 and PS3.

Now that I think about it, I guess the retro gaming aspect means we will be back in the SNES days...

neriana
2006-11-15, 10:07 PM
Wii. I must have my Zelda now.

If Sony goes bankrupt from the PS3, hopefully Square goes to Nintendo. KH3 on Wii, I say.

Just imagine, a Final Fantasy in which gameplay and story take precedence over graphics...

Krytha
2006-11-15, 10:16 PM
Just imagine, a Final Fantasy in which gameplay and story take precedence over graphics...

I... I.. just can't do it...

LordOfNarf
2006-11-15, 10:18 PM
Seriously though. This was a terrible press conference for Sony. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=WW_OBVSd9TU&mode=related&search=)

But lets ignore the terrible job they did at hyping their system. It is going to be extremely powerful, and they are selling it at a three hundred dollar loss. A computer with the same specs as the PS3 would cost at least twice as much.

But I'm still a Wii60 guy.

Sony games are gonna cost 60 dollars. The system is going to be expensive for a long time, and by the time it is affordable, the next Xbox will be out. Not to mention that I wouldn't get to attached to Sony. Their business model is doomed. Selling at a three hundred dollar loss and using third party games means a gamer must buy at least seventeen PS3 games before they break even. They are already hurting from the laptop battery recall and if the PS3 flops, they could very well go bankrupt.

A little fatalistic, even if they do suck at gaming stuff. Just remeber, Sony gaming may go out, but Sony itself won't they do things other than PlayStation y'know. Like, y'know, every other electronic device known to man.

And did you know that the Wii only has a 750 is mhz processor? Kinda wierd when you think about how much the background programs take up on a computer.

neriana
2006-11-15, 10:41 PM
I have a computer with an incredible processor. I don't need a second computer. The Wii looks like a ton of fun, and that's what matters.

Reinforcements
2006-11-15, 10:45 PM
I said it in the other thread, but I guess it bears saying again.

Wiiiii! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGyoA92ubzs)

LordOfNarf
2006-11-15, 11:45 PM
I said it in the other thread, but I guess it bears saying again.

Wiiiii! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGyoA92ubzs)

Can you please explain how that at all relates to the wii?

Sholos
2006-11-16, 01:23 AM
And now that the PS3's having problems playing older games....

Go Nintendo! Go Nintendo!

I already have a 360, so now I'm rooting for the Wii.

Krytha
2006-11-16, 02:25 AM

As far as I can tell, nothing, but I did laugh.

If you want to stretch for an argument, the excitement the IE icon is experiencing is linked to everyone's favourite little console. Im sure we'll all be babbling idiots once we get our grubby paws on that... thing...

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Reinforcements
2006-11-16, 08:12 AM
WIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Tom_Violence
2006-11-16, 11:26 AM
Very good answer Rumada.

No the wii is doing well cause this is a nerdy place it is using a new, fun system for video game control, and most people don't want to pay 600 bucks.
Ya know what? Don't listen to me. Just watch this. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2VMJgdDVs3M&mode=related&search=) THAT is why the Wii is doing well.

And let us not forget that nintendo won this year's E3 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=gRAe4316uBs) while Sony failed miserably (http://youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4&mode=related&search=).
If you can believe it, there was even worse stuff than that.
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!

Okay, I was also initially quite confused with the amount of people going for the Wii. Then I saw that video of the guy playing golf with it, and I have to say I'm pretty much sold! That looks frigging awesome! Now me and my mates can get a round in even if its not the middle of summer! :tongue: My only worry is does one need a decent-sized TV to really get much out of it?

Anyway, I'll probably also be getting a 360, cos from what I've seen of it it has a lot of good party games, whereas I don't know much about the Wii at all (clearly Nintendo's marketing efforts, if they even exist, have passed me by). Oh, and the 360 will also have Mass Effect, which I need.

PS3? Hah, sort the price out guys. I can't even currently afford either of the other two right now, so it'll be years before the PS3 comes close to even being an option.

neriana
2006-11-18, 10:37 PM
A display PS3 caught fire in one of our stores. The PS3 in our store already locked up once. Heh.

I'm sure, like Microsoft with the 360, they'll eventually fix the system so it, like, works right. Maybe they'll even admit to problems sooner than Microsoft did. And get some passable games on it besides Resistance. But for now, it's rather amusing.

Logic
2006-11-19, 05:43 AM
I bought the 360 a few hours prior to the official launch of the PS3.
I plan to buy all 3 eventually, in order to avoid missing out on the "Must Have" games each has to offer.

Beleriphon
2006-11-19, 01:54 PM
Like I told the guys, I'm not paying $800.00 to play one game. Stupid Final Fantasy XIII and my obession with playing that game. I suppose I can just wait for the PC port.

B-Man
2006-11-19, 01:58 PM
I'll be getting the Wii for three reasons:
1. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (even if Snake is in it)
3. I was raised on Nintendo.

Seriously, I've been playing Nintendo since I was four!

Jibar
2006-11-19, 02:10 PM
Wii all the way.
1. Nintendo.
2. Something new.
3. Nintendo.
4. Twilight Princess.
5. Still waiting for a Star Fox game where I can order my wingmates about with a headset.
"Falco, cover me. Krystal, takes out the group to my right. Slippy, fly into that building."

Though I wouldn't pay for one, I'd gladly own a 360. Quality gaming console. Good range of games. Online play and what not.

But the PS3. Ugh.
I own a PS2. It's alright. Not exactly the greatest thing out there. I was pretty annoyed when I found out newer games wouldn't work on my console, and I had to wait for it to break down and then buy a new slim line one to play newer PS2 games.
But the PS3...ugh. I never liked the sound of it from the beginning, when I heard it was going to feature motion sensing devices in the controller I flipped, and then I read a review from a man I trust, considering video games are a minor part of his job so he has no real biases.
His review was pretty much comparing it to the 360. And he actually said there was nothing seperating the two but the extra features Sony added.
So, yeah. If I wanted a £450 360 with some added stuff that will mean nothing to me, I'd totally buy a 360.

Ridi Kulas
2006-11-19, 03:48 PM
I'm going with a Wii, because I'm not rich. X-box costs less than a PS3, but they're both fairly expensive for something to play games on.

Skyserpent
2006-11-20, 12:50 AM
Dude... Starfox 64 is going to be so nostalgic heaven!

Shadic
2006-11-20, 12:55 AM
Wii is the only one I want, really. A 360 could be nice, but I don't really see myself playing much aside from Banjo Kazooie or something.

Must have my Twilight Princess fix... Ugh!

Ebonwoulfe
2006-11-20, 01:57 PM
I think it should be mentioned - simply because *I* didn't realize this when I bought it, so you might not realize it either.

The Wii has perfect compatibility with all Game Cube games. You just put the disc in the slot, plug a controller into the side (where there are four GameCube controller slots) and you're ready to go.

So if you, like me, never got a Game Cube... well whaddya know, you have one now!

pyrefiend
2006-11-20, 02:46 PM
I'm getting a Wii. The main games I want are Metroid Corruption, Twilight Princess, and most of all, super smash bros. brawl. Super smash bros brawl isn't coming out untill may though... I just can't wait for the metaknight goodness!

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-11-20, 03:43 PM
I'm on the path to be a Wii60 owner myself. I'm a longtime Nintendo fanboy, and the Wii just looks amazing. I already own an Xbox 360, and I'm very happy with it - Gears of War is amazing, and I have several Xbox games I still enjoy.

I'll probably get a PS3 at some point, being a Final Fantasy fanboy, but not while it costs $600. I'm happy to wait.

Wayril
2006-11-20, 04:08 PM
I'm going with a Wii, because I'm not rich. X-box costs less than a PS3, but they're both fairly expensive for something to play games on.

I agree with you there. I'm also angry about sony stealing nintendo's awesome controller concept. But they're all amazing. I was just playing Gears of War on Xbox, I must say that's the most awesome graphics and camera action I have ever seen, although it could be a little more colorful.

Blood
2006-11-21, 03:02 PM
Definitely the Wii; the GameCube in my opinion was much more enjoyable than the PS2. And all that yadda. Also, a lot cheaper. And stuff. :wink:

Wiione
2007-02-04, 12:54 AM
My name says it all.

Though I admit that Halo 3 will probably be great.

Penguinizer
2007-02-04, 01:05 AM
Wiistation 360. The ultimate console.

rabish12
2007-02-04, 01:11 AM
I'm probably going to have all three eventually. I'd love to say that I'll just stick with one or two, but I know that I'm going to break down in the long run and end up with all of them anyways.

Anyways, I already have a Wii. I'll get a 360 when they've fixed the backwards compatibility so that all the Xbox games I own work rather than around half of them, and I'll get the PS3 when the price has dropped to the point where it's at most the cost of the Wii right now.

Penguinizer
2007-02-04, 01:12 AM
xbox 360 is 90% compatable now I think.

Draigo
2007-02-04, 01:26 AM
Wii all the way

Yzorth
2007-02-04, 01:38 AM
360. All the way.

Penguinizer
2007-02-04, 01:47 AM
wiibox 3 will rock :P

Dragor
2007-02-04, 02:35 AM
I'll be getting the Wii for three reasons:
1. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (even if Snake is in it)
3. I was raised on Nintendo.

Seriously, I've been playing Nintendo since I was four!

Ha ha, almost exactly the same. The first game on console I played was Sonic, but the second I played was the original Mario Bros. From then on, I was hooked...

I've got a Wii and played the Xbox360. They're both very good consoles. I can see PS3 going down the pan here: the Xbox has a good variety of games and good graphics. The PS3 simply has brilliant graphics. Wow. Erm. Where's the games?

The Wii is simply amazing. There's nothing like a four player game of Wii Bowling off Wii Sports. It's just pure fun, no doubt about it.

I can't believe I used to doubt this console!

The Wii, The Wii, so damn brilliantly.... wins.

Everto
2007-02-04, 02:37 AM
Halo 3 all the way. As soon as the 360 has dropped in price and Halo 3 is out, I'm buying both.

I would only buy the PS3 because i'm such a fun of the Jak and Daxter series, but it's still too expensive.

The Wii is ok, but not for the hardworking man who comes so he can relax and play some videogames just have to swing his tired arms an hour or two, I mean seriously that sucks a**.

So I recommend either the Wii or the 360 depending on how hardcore you are or both.

skreweded
2007-02-04, 02:40 AM
Skreweded is a spoiled bastard, and got a ps3 for Xmas.

I might save up and get a wii if more games come out, the current ones don't justify 250 bucks to me.

The ps3 is worse though..

Midnight Son
2007-02-04, 02:56 AM
I bought the Xbox for the last set of consoles and I bought the 360 about half a year ago. What can I say. I just like giving Bill Gates my money.:smallsmile:

I've considered getting the Wii. It does look like fun.

I will never buy a Sony console. Their home electronics? Sure. They're by far the best brand out there. Everything I've heard or read from their console group just turns me off of them, though. It's an attitude thing. I really don't care about the price.

Oh, and, "Go HD-DVD!"

SMEE
2007-02-04, 03:16 PM
I'll be getting my retired parent's a nintendo WII this year.
And I'll get my XBOX 360 the day Ninja Gaiden 2 is released. I own an XBOX right now and the only game I play is Ninja Gaiden Black... :smallredface:

Myatar_Panwar
2007-02-04, 03:17 PM
I've got a 360 right now (which I love!) but I'm planning on getting a Wii soon as well. I'm going for the whole "Wii60" thing.

rabish12
2007-02-04, 03:35 PM
xbox 360 is 90% compatable now I think.
Not even close. Fewer than a third of the original Xbox's games work on it. Out of my collection, I can't play:

Morrowind
Phantom Dust
Pirates of the Caribbean
Tetris/Clone Wars (the one with both games on the same disc)
Tron 2.0
MechAssault
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
DDR Ultramix 3
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
Blood Omen 2

That's 11 or 12 of the 26 or 27 Xbox games that I have, nearly half my collection.

Daracaex
2007-02-04, 05:55 PM
Of YOUR collection. You can't get a good statistic from only 27 games of the however many that came out for the XBox. And when did you get your 360? Maybe the compatibility updates come out of the box. Does anyone know if these updates are downloadable?

I have a Wii and love it! Unlike most people think, you do not have to flail your arms about wildly in large, tiring movements. I have played Legend of Zelda, Red Steel, Call of Duty 3, and Wii Sports on my system and only Wii Sports and certain parts of Call of Duty 3 (Very rare occaisions and only lasting about a minute. Maybe five of them in the entire game) needed any physical exertion at all. The system screams that it was made for creative games and first-person shooters, and even other games they have on it work well with the control scheme, like Legend of Zelda where you only have to flick your wrist slightly for it to register a sword swipe, depending on what you have set your sensitivity to.

I also want an XBox 360 for a few reasons: Blue Dragon, Halo, Assasin's Creed, and Gears of War, among a few others.

rabish12
2007-02-04, 06:21 PM
Of YOUR collection. You can't get a good statistic from only 27 games of the however many that came out for the XBox.
Which is why I don't. I judge it by the official compatibility list (which they update every time they add games, and which currently has about 300 games) and the ESRB listings for Xbox games (which should include most, if not all, games available for the system in North America, and currently lists 999 of them)

And when did you get your 360?
Have not, will not, don't intend to until they fix the BC.

Maybe the compatibility updates come out of the box. Does anyone know if these updates are downloadable?
They are downloadable, that's how you get them (though I'm fairly certain that there are several other ways to do so).

Murongo
2007-02-04, 07:48 PM
I do the 360 thing. A wii would be cool too but I don't spend enough time on consoles to have two. I'd rather have the 360 because its more shooters/fighting games than the wii which is more RPG/Arcade/Sports games. Just a personal preference

anak
2007-02-04, 09:58 PM
xbox360 + halo 3 = gold

neriana
2007-02-04, 10:58 PM
I got a free 360 from work because we won a contest -- the cool thing is, there are 3 Japanese-style RPGs that look awesome that are coming out this year for it. I'm going to get a Wii as soon as there's one left at the end of one of my shifts; so far annoying customers keep buying them too fast :smallwink:.

Logic
2007-02-05, 08:21 AM
xbox360 + halo 3 = Platinum
Fixed for truthiness.

Beleriphon
2007-02-06, 12:59 AM
I was just playing Gears of War on Xbox, I must say that's the most awesome graphics and camera action I have ever seen, although it could be a little more colorful.

You can fiddle with the default colour balance. I'm a big fan of the washed out look since its more like a war movie.

Oh and Mass Effect (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/masseffect/index.html?q=mASS%20EFFECT) for the 360 looks incredible. I love Bioware.

Arlanthe
2007-02-07, 06:49 AM
Nintendo forever. I'm getting a Wii.

And what's so great about Halo? You can turn your brain off to play it.

rabish12
2007-02-07, 02:31 PM
Nintendo forever. I'm getting a Wii.

And what's so great about Halo? You can turn your brain off to play it.
On the higher difficulties, that becomes pretty much impossible. You absolutely have to use stealth, strategy, and cover to some degree on Legendary, because the enemies have more health than you do and their weapons are considerably stronger than yours (not to mention that the AI isn't half bad either, meaning that they tend to be capable of flanking and/or outmaneuvering you).

talsine
2007-02-07, 04:21 PM
my roomate will buy a Wii, and i will laugh at him while he plays. None of the games out for it or coming out in the future are all that interesting to me. Course, i gave up on Nintendo after the N64, and never looked back, so thats probebly part of it.

The only 360 game i wanted is out on the PS3, and i hate HD-DVD so there's no reason for that one.

Leaving me with the shiny PS3 we have sitting over our tv. Was worth it jsut to play BluRay discs, and i get FFXIII, Resistance: Fall of Man, and an ever expanding library of movies. Thats the real reason i wanted one, but virtual memory cards on the hard drive and no issues with any of my old PS and PS2 games certainly doesn't hurt.

StevieWonderMk2
2007-02-12, 04:28 PM
After much deliberation i got a Wii instead of a 360, and its amazing, especially the huge backstock of GC games i can now play (Metroid and Eternal Darkness in particularly)

The only thing that i might regret is that i wont be able to play Halo 3 or.....Heavy Rain? Rain something, that new one from Omikron and Fahrenheit people. Thats about it.

Arlanthe
2007-02-13, 07:05 AM
Actually, bloodsworn defenders of any given console should be happy about the console wars.

It forces all game companies to attempt to have higher quality, or selection, or game play- or better something. Thus, through competition whatever system meets our personal preferences best will be pushed to do even better due to the enormous market and increasing stakes.

Soveliss
2007-02-16, 12:14 PM
I have a X-box 360 (and oblivion the best game ever) and I want a Wii. My freinds have it and I played it and I have one thing to say. The Wii RULES!!!

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-16, 01:14 PM
Leaving me with the shiny PS3 we have sitting over our tv. Was worth it jsut to play BluRay discs, and i get FFXIII, Resistance: Fall of Man, and an ever expanding library of movies. Thats the real reason i wanted one, but virtual memory cards on the hard drive and no issues with any of my old PS and PS2 games certainly doesn't hurt.

FFXIII might not be a Playstation 3 exclusive anymore, talsine. Squaresoft recently announced something basically announcing their intention to no longer play favourites with Sony.

For me, it's going to be a Wii-XBox360 combo. Sony had my money until they started hemorrhaging all of it's third party exclusives. Assassin's Creed was what I determined to be my deciding factor, and PS3 lost that exclusive. Conversely, Microsoft appears to be doing a pretty damned good job of wooing Capcom. Right now I'm looking at the PS3 and only seeing a couple games here and there which I'll want to play eventually, but not enough to drive me to buy a $600 machine.

Jibar
2007-02-16, 01:24 PM
my roomate will buy a Wii, and i will laugh at him while he plays. None of the games out for it or coming out in the future are all that interesting to me. Course, i gave up on Nintendo after the N64, and never looked back, so thats probebly part of it.

You!
You can finally answer!
What was wrong with the N64!?
Nobody ever gives a reason!
It's always just some plain out comment, no reason why...and I've grown so starved for information.
So starved...I shrivel...
Tell me...what was wrong!?

Logic
2007-02-16, 02:22 PM
You!
You can finally answer!
What was wrong with the N64!?
Nobody ever gives a reason!
It's always just some plain out comment, no reason why...and I've grown so starved for information.
So starved...I shrivel...
Tell me...what was wrong!?
Nintendo targeted the youth and Japan. They did not care much for the older crowd of the Western World.
The thing that bothered me most about the N64 was their fan of the the color purple and variations on it.
There was nothing wrong with the system (or its younger brother, the Gamecube) but the N64 was still cartridges which annoyed people (not myself) and the Gamecube did not have enough support from third parties.

Druid
2007-02-16, 03:05 PM
The first one I'm going to but is a Wii. Maybe I'm a bit of a fan boy (I can't even remember a time when there wasn't a Nintendo of some sort in my house) but I loved the Wii when I played it. That and it has Smash Brothers Brawl coming out. I've been playing melee for over five years now and if brawl is half as good all consider the wii a good purchase for that alone. I'll eventualy try to get a 360 and if the price drops enough maybe a PS3, but I doubt it.

Woot Spitum
2007-02-16, 05:15 PM
I loved my 64. I still can't believe it's broken. Of course, I love platformers, which were the 64's strength. It really did disappoint in the RPG department, but it did have the best graphics when it came out. The irony is, the 64, with its massive graphics, was supposed to completely take over the gaming market, but the less powerful PS1 outperformed it due to a cheaper price and better games. Now the PS3 is is the most powerful system, but is losing out to the 360 and Wii, due to the other systems' more reasonable prices and larger gaming libraries. You'd think Sony would have remembered the strategies that took it to the top of the gaming world.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-16, 11:31 PM
Woot: That's what I keep telling people.

Xbox360 is shaping up to be the graphically weak system which kicks ass because of third party support (I mean, they've basically got Capcom in their pocket by now, and Squaresoft recently announced they'd start showing Microsoft some love as well), while Sony is being last generation's Xbox (in that they're all "We're big, we have first party support, and you'll buy it because it's so HARDCORE!) and Nintendo is doing it's thing in building a quirky system which kicks ass and has Zelda.

rabish12
2007-02-16, 11:39 PM
Xbox360 is shaping up to be the graphically weak system
Actually, I'm pretty sure the 360's GPU is slightly more powerful than the one in the PS3, and it has access to considerably more RAM than the PS3's GPU. Also, in nearly every early comparison of third-party titles between the two platforms that I've seen, the 360 comes out ahead in terms of graphics. So really, at this point it's not shaping up to be the "graphically weak system".

EDIT:
I loved my 64. I still can't believe it's broken. Of course, I love platformers, which were the 64's strength. It really did disappoint in the RPG department, but it did have the best graphics when it came out. The irony is, the 64, with its massive graphics, was supposed to completely take over the gaming market, but the less powerful PS1 outperformed it due to a cheaper price and better games.
The original PlayStation launched at a price point $100 higher than the N64.

Soveliss
2007-03-07, 06:39 PM
I Just got the Wii and let me say one thing...

THE WII RULES

pluse making a mii is fun:)

NecroPaladin
2007-03-07, 06:53 PM
I bought a Wii because of the interesting gameplay, the lack of XBox 360 fanboys talking about it 24-7 (what do you think they were talking about?) and the fact that, unlike the PS3, it didn't crash during the public demonstration.

Setra
2007-03-07, 08:01 PM
After playing the Wii I'd have to say, so far it's not that great. I actually prefer Twilight Princess on the gamecube.

In the end I get the feeling I'm going to like the PS3 best, of course I won't bother even getting one until FFXIII is out. Though I suppose I'm an RPG fanboy, and most of the RPGs I have liked were on the PS2.

Of course if A bunch of Good RPGs come out on the 360 I'd gladly switch. I hold no loyalty to any console.

Sony? I spit in your face
Microsoft?... Sorry I had to stop laughing, seriously
Nintendo? Meh

The next generation is off to a bad start.

Edit: I forgot to say, at this point in time I do like the Wii best. However until they can get more downloadable games, it'll not be by much.

LoopyZebra
2007-03-07, 08:33 PM
XBOX 360 FOR LIFE!
The PS3 costs too much for too little gain, and the Wii is popular with casual gamers. I'll admit that the Wii is a nice system, but it's the casual gamer's system, not the nerd's system (which is the 360). The PS3 is the "I have too much money to spend and have no taste" system.http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f277/LoopyZebra/Avatars/CrimsonOmen3.gif
The COG have claimed this thread.
All In-game renders. (Note, it's out of resolution and stuff.) (http://1000flowersbloom.typepad.com/1000_flowers_bloom/2006/11/microsoft_gears.html)
((For a more detailed explanation of my opinion, look in theKOT's other thread.))

theKOT
2007-03-07, 08:49 PM
As an owner of both, I gotta say it's the Wii60 life-style or bust.
Wii wins:
In the same room multiplayer
Short-session games
Sports games
Racing games
360 wins:
Online multiplayer
Shooter games
Media
Downloads & demos

If you only are going to get one, I would suggest the Wii on price point and pure fun. Still, the 360's demo service makes it easy to know what games you want, and the shooters on that thing are amazing.

Logic
2007-03-07, 09:05 PM
Agreed. Get a Wii for casual gaming, a 360 for the hardcore gaming, and the PS3 only for the exclusive games, or, if you rate video games for a living.

Setra
2007-03-07, 09:43 PM
The PS3 is for people who prefer RPGs in my opinion.

Really though, I laugh when people say it costs too much. I just upgraded my PC, spent about $800 on it. This being a small upgrade.

theKOT
2007-03-07, 10:17 PM
The PS3 is for people who prefer RPGs in my opinion.

Really though, I laugh when people say it costs too much. I just upgraded my PC, spent about $800 on it. This being a small upgrade.
A PC does a lot more than a console. That's like saying the PSP isn't expensive because it's cheaper than the Wii.

Setra
2007-03-07, 10:19 PM
A PC does a lot more than a console. That's like saying the PSP isn't expensive because it's cheaper than the Wii.
Yeah I knew someone was gonna argue this.

Me: So how much did you spend on your PC again?
Friend: $1500 so far
Me: So you can't call the PS3 overpriced then, eh?
Friend: Sure I can
Me: Why?
Friend: My computer can do more than run games
Me: And why did you upgrade your computer again?
Friend: Gaming
Me: Exactly, there is no reason aside from gaming to spend that much money on your computer. Then again, if you don't game with your PC you should probably just get a mac.

LoopyZebra
2007-03-07, 10:35 PM
May I ask why people think that the PS3 is for RPGs? Looking at the comparative libraries, it looks like we (360) have a far better out and upcoming library for RPGs. Perhaps the PS3 has more FF-style RPGs, but for more-western styled RPGs, I'm thinking the 360 is doing better. (Mass Effect!)
EDIT: And you can't compare computer prices to console prices. Although both are used for gaming, they're very different still. The console is mass-produced, and most gaming PCs are custom to a certain extent. They're in completely different categories.

Setra
2007-03-07, 10:39 PM
May I ask why people think that the PS3 is for RPGs? Looking at the comparative libraries, it looks like we (360) have a far better out and upcoming library for RPGs. Perhaps the PS3 has more FF-style RPGs, but for more-western styled RPGs, I'm thinking the 360 is doing better. (Mass Effect!)
Hmm good point. Well I'm odd I suppose, but I've said it before, FFXIII is reason enough to get a PS3, to me.

theKOT
2007-03-07, 10:41 PM
Yeah I knew someone was gonna argue this.

Me: So how much did you spend on your PC again?
Friend: $1500 so far
Me: So you can't call the PS3 overpriced then, eh?
Friend: Sure I can
Me: Why?
Friend: My computer can do more than run games
Me: And why did you upgrade your computer again?
Friend: Gaming
Me: Exactly, there is no reason aside from gaming to spend that much money on your computer. Then again, if you don't game with your PC you should probably just get a mac.
Still trying to justify your purchase, eh? :P Besides, how many RPGs does the PS3 have out anyway?

On the main argument, PC gaming is insanely expensive then, and it would be better just to buy a console. Basically, the PS3 is too expensive and so is PC gaming. Why would you spend that much when you can get equivalents on consoles?

That said, I PCed quite a while and never had to spend that kind of cash. I never upgraded even, I just got a new PC when the old one was hosed. Meh.

LoopyZebra
2007-03-07, 10:45 PM
@ ^^:

FFXIII might not be a Playstation 3 exclusive anymore, talsine. Squaresoft recently announced something basically announcing their intention to no longer play favourites with Sony.

I fear I'm going to get pummeled, but I've never liked the FF-style gameplay myself. (Don't get me wrong, the plot was awesome. But I couldn't stand the repetitive battles in the middle of the story.)

EDIT: PC gaming is expensive because it always has the newest stuff. My Xbox has a 20G hard drive. My computer has a 120G hard drive. I think I bought the computer's hard drive half a decade ago or so. (Hard drives are a bad example, but that's what comes to mind.) And I was able to run with my Radeon 9250 until last year, when I had to upgrade to play Oblivion. So, no, you don't have to upgrade, but it makes your computer better so you can run the 'extreme' mode of some games. It's not equivalent to console gaming, it's far better technologically. Plus, it'll be a few years before some genres complete a migration to consoles (MMO and RTS come to mind).

Setra
2007-03-08, 02:04 AM
Still trying to justify your purchase, eh? :P Besides, how many RPGs does the PS3 have out anyway?

On the main argument, PC gaming is insanely expensive then, and it would be better just to buy a console. Basically, the PS3 is too expensive and so is PC gaming. Why would you spend that much when you can get equivalents on consoles?

That said, I PCed quite a while and never had to spend that kind of cash. I never upgraded even, I just got a new PC when the old one was hosed. Meh.

I never said I bought one. I'm fairly sure I said I won't buy one til FFXIII comes out.

I don't have any of the next gen, none of them are interesting enough, yet.

Also, PC gaming is more fun if you ask me. Specifically FPS and RTS games.

Everto
2007-03-08, 06:11 AM
You shouldn't buy a nextgen console just because it has one or two good games. You should stick with your old PS2. Why? Simply because the Xbox 360 and the Wii are still in the wilderness, waiting for developers to get down to the metal and extract the mostout of the hardware. By contrast the PS2 is a venerable old games machine and over the last two years has been squeezed for all it's worth. The results are remarkable. A console capable of doing things we never expected back when it was launched in 2000.
In short if you don't own a PS3 or are hanging around for good next-gen games then i recommend you rediscover your love for the the PS2 (or for that matter GameCube or Xbox)

LoopyZebra
2007-03-08, 08:37 AM
You shouldn't buy a nextgen console just because it has one or two good games. You should stick with your old PS2. Why? Simply because the Xbox 360 and the Wii are still in the wilderness, waiting for developers to get down to the metal and extract the mostout of the hardware. By contrast the PS2 is a venerable old games machine and over the last two years has been squeezed for all it's worth. The results are remarkable. A console capable of doing things we never expected back when it was launched in 2000.
In short if you don't own a PS3 or are hanging around for good next-gen games then i recommend you rediscover your love for the the PS2 (or for that matter GameCube or Xbox)

Why do we need to wait for the full potential of the machines to be harnessed when their realtime animations remind me of Blizzard's cinematics (which regularly produces astonishing 3D images)? Have you watched the Gears of War trailer? There's no need to wait for anything better when it's better than every other console. And for that matter, online services as implemented on the 360 is unique, and better than other consoles, so that should definitely be a factor here. Not to mention, last-gen consoles will soon stop having games made for them.

Iron_Mouse
2007-03-09, 10:21 AM
I tried to buy a PS3, but Sony invested a lot of effort to piss us european gamers off, and finally they succeded.

First, they delayed the release date to March, 23.. While the rest of the world has their PS3s for months now, it is STILL NOT AVAILABLE HERE.
Ok...I decided to wait.

Second, higher price. They sell it (60GB variant) at 599$ in the US and the european price is 599€. But 599€ are 785$.
Fine! I decided that I would pay the price anyway.

Third, they somehow forced Amazon.de (which got the most preorders) to sell the PS3s only in a "special bundle" with the PSP. For 800€ (~1000$). Officially they did this, to limit the preorders, so that everyone who ordered a PS3 would also get one at the release date. However, the true reason might be found in the fact that the sales of the PSP are low here and they obviously want to raise them :smallannoyed:
However, I ordered early enough, so I got one without this...bundle. But hearing about this was still annoying.

And finally...the software emulator that was announced february. While the non-european PS3s are more or less fully compatible to PS1&2 games, the european variant will be not. They did this to save money during the production, of course, the price remains the same...
That was an important feature to me because I never owned a PS1 or PS2 so I wanted to play their games, too (and THAT was the point where I said "screw it").

Well, lets see if I got this right...
We get a crappier console for more money and not only months later but also with some pretty open shown "we pi** on you" customer treatment.

Finally, I did the right thing. I cancelled the preorder and ordered a Wii. And a PS2 with the latest modchip. And now I still have money left for some games.

Everto
2007-03-09, 12:22 PM
The reason that you have to pay more in Europe than in the US is because of TAXES. Taxes are higher in Europe.

Druid
2007-03-09, 12:47 PM
185$ higher?

Everto
2007-03-09, 01:16 PM
Apperently the European government knows how to spend the citizens money better the citizens, compared to the US government.

B. Bitterleaf
2007-03-10, 01:16 AM
I have a Wii. And Now I am saving for a 360. I have no interest in a PS3. Unless they make Sly Cooper for it. Then, maybe. But otherwise, no.:smallannoyed:

Sturmjaeger
2007-03-10, 02:19 AM
I have a 360 and it's all I want. I've quite happy with it. Yay Gears of War!