PDA

View Full Version : Death Metal Bard?

silverwolfer
2013-01-07, 12:36 PM
So I am sort of fiddling with a bard variant in the heart of how the UA do for some of the casters, even to the extreme that the cloistered cleric is.

I have thought of adding these spells to the bards abilties, now some of theses might overlap with already established bard spells but it is just a thought.

1st Level: Bane, cause fear, chill touch, detect undead, doom, hide from undead,
summon undead I*
2nd Level: Blindness/deafness, command undead, darkness,
death knell, gentle repose, ghoul touch, scare, spectral hand, summon
undead II

3rd Level: Crushing despair, death ward, halt undead, speak with dead, summon
undead III*, vampiric touch
4th Level: Animate dead, bestow curse, death
ward, dispel magic, enervation, Evard’s black tentacles, fear, phantasmal killer, poison, summon
undead IV*
5th Level: Blight, cloudkill, fire in the blood, lesser planar binding, nightmare, oath of blood, slay living, summon undead
V*, undeath to death, unhallow, waves of fatigue
6th Level: circle of death, create undead,
geas/quest, planar binding,waves of exhaustion, Control undead, Song of discord

I would keep the music that the bard has already, and remove the bard spells that deal with healing and summon monster as he now has summon undead. Do you think this has enough counter flavor for a sort of dirge singer bard, or do I need to tamper with the songs to make it in line for a varient.

Psyren
2013-01-07, 03:14 PM
The songs don't affect undead as written so if you want that flavor, you'll need to tweak the bardic music ability to remedy this. Look at the Dirgesinger or PF's Dirge Bard for ideas.

Unusual Muse
2013-01-07, 06:56 PM
You might also want to consider the Bard variant called the Harbinger from Dragon #334... it changes the Bardic Music effects to be more... well... metal! :smallsmile:

tuesdayscoming
2013-01-07, 09:49 PM
The songs don't affect undead as written so if you want that flavor, you'll need to tweak the bardic music ability to remedy this. Look at the Dirgesinger or PF's Dirge Bard for ideas.

IIRC, Libris Mortis also has a feat called Requiem, which allows bardic music to affect undead. This may or may not interest you, though, as this project does seem to be a spot of homebrew. As such, you might just as easily hand-wave away the normal bardic undead prohibition.