PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #865 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2013-01-07, 01:04 PM
New comic is up.

Landis963
2013-01-07, 01:09 PM
Hey, new comic! I guess this means your thumb is as well as can be hoped for by this point?

Thump
2013-01-07, 01:09 PM
Oh crap.

Here comes the hammer drop.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-01-07, 01:11 PM
Aaaaand looks like the timelines are all caught up. There's another handful of ****, flying towards the fan...

Ho Thanh, though? Oh wait, that's his name. And glad to see you're doing so well!

Lycar
2013-01-07, 01:12 PM
He, I like how Roy regards Durkon's summons as nothing more then 'speed bumps' for any real threat like Xykon. :smallbiggrin:

Of course, him being a Fighter in a 3.x-ish D&D-like game doesn't really bode well for his own effectiveness. :smallwink:

Mono Vertigo
2013-01-07, 01:12 PM
What, already? We told you to get some rest! :smalleek:
Thank you very much for the update, of course. :smallsmile:

Winter
2013-01-07, 01:13 PM
The second name should have been revealed before. Now it's not serving as protection anymore. :smallbiggrin:

Echon
2013-01-07, 01:17 PM
Great strip. Great to see the comic regaining speed.

RustyVenture
2013-01-07, 01:17 PM
I am so excited this comic is back. Seriously Giant, don't strain yourself putting these out, but I love them! I just can't wait to see what V has been up to, and where his escape tunnel went.

Forikroder
2013-01-07, 01:20 PM
so that means the resistance was likely crushed around the same time that Sabine got banished, if Xykon has to spend a full day getting all the spells and protections he needs for his fortress that means that the LG and team evil are all going to be apearing at the gate at the same time

DarioD
Wow, another comic already! :)
Please do not strain yourself, Giant! We can do with fewer comics for a while...

rewinn
A paladin retreating from battle for strategic considerations?

The first time, at Azure City, it was wise and necessary.

But now? It's just rude!:smallwink:

Although, come to think of it, what defenses does the camp have against Xykon? Let's hope there's no gate on Elf Picnic Island!:smalleek::smalleek:

Don Ohnic
2013-01-07, 01:21 PM
And up goes the tempo! Excellent.

lio45
2013-01-07, 01:21 PM
Nice job! Thanks Rich!!

CoffeeIncluded
2013-01-07, 01:22 PM

Although, come to think of it, what defenses does the camp have against Xykon? Let's hope there's no gate on Elf Picnic Island!:smalleek::smalleek:

Honestly, they're probably safe. If Redcloak and Xykon are thinking about them at all, which I doubt, then New Azure is probably considered "not worth their trouble."

Zmflavius
2013-01-07, 01:25 PM

I think the only gate other than Girard's gate that's left is in the far north, so no.

Not that that'll stop Hinjo from sticking his foot into the mess.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-01-07, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Hinjo's retreating to get more information out of Niu and to warn the order.

Lorin
2013-01-07, 01:28 PM
ok, that was fast. Nice job, as always.

Anarion
2013-01-07, 01:29 PM
I'll be honest, I know we're supposed to be freaked out that Xykon is on the move, but more than anything, I was elated that Niu got out and got her message off in a timely manner. Things will move as they move now, but at least Niu's okay and that info got out as fast as it possibly could given the story to date.

Also, Giant, you are a huge tease! I want to know Elan's idea for dealing with Tarquin!

toapat
2013-01-07, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Hinjo's retreating to get more information out of Niu and to warn the order.

he probably will grant the centipedes XP for the encounter before doing so though, he is a paladin after all

Loki_42
2013-01-07, 01:33 PM
Is it just me, or is Haley's hair darker?

Forikroder
2013-01-07, 01:35 PM

niu only has one scroll, and its unlikely she actually has info he wants that justifies delaying getting the info to the order

he doesnt know that Xykon is killing time on the fortress for all he knows Xykon teleported right to the gate after getting the phylactery and about to engage the OoTS

StreamOfTheSky
2013-01-07, 01:36 PM
So...Hinjo is going to try and re-take his homeland? Where the heck *are* they, anyway? I thought they were on some prior elven real estate.

Caivs
I always love those dramatic moments when the Good guys receive a message telling them everything they relied on was utterly crushed :D

Reminded me of ''The Ministry has fallen. Scrimgeour is dead. They're coming''.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Azurites' next action but even more to seeing what will happen next at Girard's Gate...Durkon is partially right, Malack really only works with Nale because of Tarquin, so I'm expecting, probably not a full face heel turn, but at least some kind of treachery from Malack. I don't think he'll really turn on Tarquin though, more like...refusing to fight Durkon and telling him what is going on, then maybe try to find a way to end the conflict.

Thank you Giant!

fibonacciseries
Niu only says 14 words on panel.

What were the first 11 words of the Sending?

CoffeeIncluded
2013-01-07, 01:43 PM
niu only has one scroll, and its unlikely she actually has info he wants that justifies delaying getting the info to the order

he doesnt know that Xykon is killing time on the fortress for all he knows Xykon teleported right to the gate after getting the phylactery and about to engage the OoTS

That may be, but you can reply to a sending sent towards you. I bet Hinjo casts a sending asking Niu what the hell happened, and then warns Roy. Or in reverse order.

Yana
2013-01-07, 01:45 PM
Granted that Niu may not have a 2nd sending scroll, but doesn't the spell stipulate that the recipient of such a spell can make a response? If so, Niu can respond to any number of Sendings that Hinjo might throw in her direction.

That being said, her role in this story seems to have been fufilled. She has suvived long enough to warn Hinjo about Xykon's resurgence and now we'll probably refocus on the Order entirely until Roy gets the sending spell from Hinjo, probably at an inopportune moment (or after Xykon has arrived on the scene).

As others have said, Giant: Don't push yourself. We've been patient these last couple of months. We can wait however long you need to get back up to full strength.

Edit: Grrr... ninjaed. Curse my verbosity.

Doug Lampert
2013-01-07, 01:47 PM
so that means the resistance was likely crushed around the same time that Sabine got banished, if Xykon has to spend a full day getting all the spells and protections he needs for his fortress that means that the LG and team evil are all going to be apearing at the gate at the same time

It presumably took some time for Niu to get the scroll of sending.

Unless I missed something that indicated she already had it.

I think that message moved at the speed of plot. You can't figure out when Xykon will show up bassed on it.

Gift Jeraff
2013-01-07, 01:49 PM
So...Hinjo is going to try and re-take his homeland? Where the heck *are* they, anyway? I thought they were on some prior elven real estate.

It's monster-infested since the elves abandoned it.

ChristianSt
2013-01-07, 01:50 PM
:smallsmile: Another comic!! :smallsmile:

Wasn't thinking that it goes so fast with your recovery - it feels like the last comic was yesterday! (Don't rush yourself)

Going three-way soonish as it looks :smallbiggrin:

Yana
2013-01-07, 01:51 PM
It presumably took some time for Niu to get the scroll of sending.

Unless I missed something that indicated she already had it.

Thanh gave Niu the scroll prior to his untimely demise.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0827.html

tcrudisi
2013-01-07, 02:08 PM
Giant:

I cannot speak for every one of your fans, but I will speak for myself: if you are still in any pain what-so-ever, please take the time to fully heal. I absolutely love reading your comics, but I would rather you take your time and come back 100% than see you come back too soon and aggravate the injury any. Or find yourself disliking what you do because of the pain.

Take your time. I loved this comic and I'll enjoy all the rest ... but I can wait.

Hopeless
2013-01-07, 02:19 PM
TWO ISSUES WITHIN A WEEK?!!:smalleek:

Take it easy we don't want you having a relapse!

Wait are those carrion crawlers?

So that island is level orientated... anyone know the CR of that encounter?:smallbiggrin:

Kareasint
2013-01-07, 02:27 PM
It's monster-infested since the elves abandoned it.

Yeah, the Azurites are clearing the island.

Hinjo wants to fall back to warn the Order. It is the primary strategic concern. Having an island to base from to reconquer your homeland does no good if the Lich has control of the entire world.

t209
2013-01-07, 02:28 PM
I think I lost the old death pool (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244663) since Niuh is alive.:smallfrown:
I hope the survivors were not wiped out. This is getting dark, man. I wonder how she got to make sending spell, even though she's a fighter/rogue. Now who's gonna heal all the people now that all the clerics are dead.

Lorin
2013-01-07, 02:35 PM
Because she is rogue. She propably have some ranks in use magic device, which allows her to use scrolls

Xelbiuj
2013-01-07, 02:36 PM
So, what kind of cool undead is Tarquin going to be? lol. (Yes, I'll be reusing this when Xykon actually does show up.)

Seriously though, great comic.
Damn Durkon is a twit.

edit:

Is Hinjo's sword cold iron or silver? It looks different than the other 2. I know his dog's teeth were.

t209
2013-01-07, 02:51 PM
So, what kind of cool undead is Tarquin going to be? lol. (Yes, I'll be reusing this when Xykon actually does show up.)

Seriously though, great comic.
Damn Durkon is a twit.

edit:

Is Hinjo's sword cold iron or silver? It looks different than the other 2. I know his dog's teeth were.
Hinjo said that he has both cold iron and silver sword. I wonder what happened to Hinjo's parents?
Edit: Either Durkon's twit or he's still in denial that his "friend" will join Linear Guild.

Sunken Valley
2013-01-07, 02:51 PM
2 comics? Wow.

Question: If Durkon can get the gate defended by angel's, why in heaven are the Gods not doing that already? They could probably pull solars on it!!

Vectner
2013-01-07, 03:06 PM
Woohoo, we are moving foward!

Fitzclowningham
2013-01-07, 03:07 PM
2 comics? Wow.

Question: If Durkon can get the gate defended by angel's, why in heaven are the Gods not doing that already? They could probably pull solars on it!!

Something about avoiding Deus Ex Machinae, I'll wager. :smallbiggrin:

Pronounceable
2013-01-07, 03:15 PM
While I need more comics for my fix, I'd prefer Giant to take it easy until he fully recovers. The world didn't end so we have plenty of time.

Zephyr1011
2013-01-07, 03:24 PM
Does this mean updates will be coming semi-regularly now? Or were these anomalous?

Xelbiuj
2013-01-07, 03:37 PM
Does this mean updates will be coming semi-regularly now? Or were these anomalous?

Updates have always been, "whenever he gets to it".
He had plenty of time for writing so it wouldn't surprise me if he burned through several comics the next few weeks.

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-07, 03:45 PM
He has both. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0588.html)

Xelbiuj
2013-01-07, 03:57 PM
Hinjo said that he has both cold iron and silver sword. I wonder what happened to Hinjo's parents?

He has both

Ahhh thanks, both of you. Makes sense.
Now, why is Roy such a freaking slacker? lol
Haley, Hinjo, Tarquin, everyone else, have a secondary/backup weapon, Roy says no to a magic sword because he has his ancestral weapon . . . I'd like confirmation that he has one by now. :P

Giggling Ghast
2013-01-07, 04:02 PM
Are those creatures carrion crawlers?

Zephyr1011
2013-01-07, 04:19 PM
Updates have always been, "whenever he gets to it".
He had plenty of time for writing so it wouldn't surprise me if he burned through several comics the next few weeks.

Really? I was under the impression that back before he hurt his hand he stuck to a regular schedule, what with the comics saying things like "Comic is running late, try again this time tomorrow."

Stegyre
2013-01-07, 04:36 PM
Really? I was under the impression that back before he hurt his hand he stuck to a regular schedule, what with the comics saying things like "Comic is running late, try again this time tomorrow."
Nope (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6496):

ANNOUNCEMENT #1: OotS updates at random. Discussion of the comic update schedule is strictly prohibited. If no news has been posted in the News section or in a sticky thread in the OotS subforum about when the next comic will or will not be posted, then no news exists. This extends to concerns for Rich's health, life, or other aspects that you are concerned about or expect may be effecting the update schedule. The comic will be here when it gets here; until then, nothing you can say will make it arrive sooner or make any news appear. In the words of the Beatles, "let it be."
Technically, one could say that all the well-wishes for Rich's thumb and suggestions that he not over exert himself (or Sir Thumb) are a violation of this rule. Under the circumstances, though, I think it's getting a bye.

Great to see the updates, Rich! We're sure you'll do what you feel capable of, and we remain your loyal fans.

slb
2013-01-07, 04:40 PM

It has been stated in the crayon art that the Gods won't interfere with the rifts with a ten foot pole. The only thing that seems to be acknowledged is that should they understand there is no solution to the expansion of the rifts, they would destroy the present reality to build it anew without the rifts.

So obviously it's only up to the mortals to solve this issue without the gods intermingling directly in.

Joerg
2013-01-07, 04:46 PM
Granted that Niu may not have a 2nd sending scroll, but doesn't the spell stipulate that the recipient of such a spell can make a response? If so, Niu can respond to any number of Sendings that Hinjo might throw in her direction.

Isn't Niu under the effects of Cloister and can't be contacted by Sending?

t209
2013-01-07, 04:46 PM
It has been stated in the crayon art that the Gods won't interfere with the rifts with a ten foot pole. The only thing that seems to be acknowledged is that should they understand there is no solution to the expansion of the rifts, they would destroy the present reality to build it anew without the rifts.

So obviously it's only up to the mortals to solve this issue without the gods intermingling directly in.

So what is needed to turn OOTS into Dark Fantasy?
We got Bad guys winning and Almost useless gods.

ti'esar
2013-01-07, 04:47 PM
What exactly are those things Hinjo and his men were fighting? People have suggested carrion crawlers, but as far as I know they don't talk (although that could be Rule Of Punchline).

CoffeeIncluded
2013-01-07, 04:48 PM

Oh right. Hm, does anyone have a better timeline for this? We're nearing its expiration, but have we passed it?

delta639
2013-01-07, 04:48 PM

Seems pretty (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5c/Carrion_crawler.JPG) likely. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/atg/Enormous_Carrion_Crawler.jpg) Nice job spotting that, I was stumped.

Solid update, I'll restate everyone else's words about being glad for the short delay but also not wanting the Giant to strain himself.

And yeah, Hinjo's almost certainly calling for a retreat so he can respond to Niu (potentially with more Sendings, I'm sure he has scrolls or casters of sufficient level) and, more importantly / urgently, warn the Order about this new development. There's more or less no danger to the Azurites themselves at this point, save the island's few monsters which are likely, as Vaarsuvius put it, nothing a few low-level peons could not handle. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0643.html)

As for Durkon, there probably is an element of denial at play in his assumptions, but I do think he has a better grasp of Malack's motivations than Haley does, so he's not being especially unreasonable here. Durkon's talked to Malack at length and would have a better idea of the latter's hatred towards Nale (we know that he witnessed Malack's immediate, enraged and brutal attempt to kill Nale on sight, which Haley did not). I don't think Haley would have much perception of Malack beyond being "Tarquin's bestie".

...Of course, we as the readers know that Durkon's wrong and Haley's right in this situation, but I still don't think that's enough to think that Durkon's a twit or solely in denial.

Edit: Oh, right, of course there's the Cloister to consider. So assuming it's still active, Niu's Sending would either be one-way or, at best, providing Hinjo 25 words of response but nothing more. I don't think we've had any in-comic indications of over 16 + 5 weeks having passed since Cloister's casting (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html), though.

Bulldog Psion
2013-01-07, 04:51 PM
Yes, I'd say those are carrion crawlers. Presumably, they're talking for the sake of humor. :smallbiggrin:

Killer Angel
2013-01-07, 04:56 PM

Almost surely. It was the first thing that came to my mind.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-07, 05:03 PM
Oh rich, you spoil us.

t209
2013-01-07, 05:08 PM
I hope the camp wasn't wiped out by Xykon, who just wanted some blood spilled for his amusement.
Just being curious, does Tarquin's Dragoons use Scorpions ala Armored Personal Carrier (Put people on it and disembark on target)?
edit: how did rich got injured by glass, like car accident or smashed window from house?

zzyss
2013-01-07, 05:18 PM
Just a thought: we all want Rich to rest up and heal, but if I remember correctly OOTS is now Rich's full time job - one that doesn't include health since he's self employed - so making comics is essentially how he makes money to pay the bills. I'm guessing that must be at least *some* of the compulsion driving him; finish the story, get the next book out.

That said, the best thing we can do to help out right now would be to buy more merch. Many of us probably have Kickstarter fatigue, but maybe you could buy a book, game or other item and randomly gift a friend?

That's my $0.02.

Oh, love the comic. Took a while to go back and find out what Elan's idea was, only to find out that it hasn't been revealed yet. Well played, Rich. Well played.

blazingshadow
2013-01-07, 05:24 PM
Question: If Durkon can get the gate defended by angel's, why in heaven are the Gods not doing that already? They could probably pull solars on it!!you need a high level priest or wizard willing to do that but i do believe azure city should have been guarded by solars since they had some time to prepare for the war and had that high priest that fought redcloak
edit:

but if I remember correctly OOTS is now Rich's full time job - one that doesn't include health since he's self employed - so making comics is essentially how he makes money to pay the bills. I'm guessing that must be at least *some* of the compulsion driving him; finish the story, get the next book out. after the kickstarter i believe Rich can take it easy without much problems for at least long enough to heal

Mike Havran
2013-01-07, 05:46 PM
Ho Thanh. I didn't expect that. And neither that Elan's plan with Tarquin involves actual combat...

Mutant Sheep
2013-01-07, 05:55 PM
I believe a work ethic is something that Rich has continuously shown us. His entire reason for the ads only being on the forums was because making money off the unupdated comic page felt five kinds of wrong.

It's nice to see an update so quick though. Work slower! I don't want to overexpose myself. :smalltongue:

JSSheridan
2013-01-07, 05:56 PM
Thanks Giant!

ManuelSacha
2013-01-07, 06:00 PM
So Elan has a brilliant intuition in one page, and reveals to have a brilliant plan in the next one? Are you sure about this?

Btw, Rich... you put me in a hard position here. On one hand, I appreciate you as a person and I don't want to suffer. On the other hand, I want you to go back to your schedule, complete the "seasonal miniatures", finish this book/story arc asap, etc...
I'm thinking... :smallconfused:

Shred-Bot
2013-01-07, 06:00 PM
you need a high level priest or wizard willing to do that but i do believe azure city should have been guarded by solars since they had some time to prepare for the war and had that high priest that fought redcloak

That high priest also maxed out at a 6th level spell during his duel with Redcloak for the fate of the city, so I doubt he had the juice to bring in solars. Astral devas, sure... and actually they probably would have been a great help.

(Granted the battle had been going for a while so I'm sure his spell slots weren't full, but still... he was obviously not on Redcloak's level, and even he couldn't cast level 9's until he was taking down the resistance)

Majiy
2013-01-07, 06:07 PM
What exactly is Durkon trying to say in the second-last panel? I have problems understanding with such strongly written accent, I´m not a native speaker.

ti'esar
2013-01-07, 06:09 PM
Is "Ho Thanh" a pun, or just a silly-sounding first name? It vaguely rings a bell.

What exactly is Durkon trying to say in the second-last panel? I have problems understanding with such strongly written accent, I´m not a native speaker.

"Roy, lad, you know even a gaggle* of angels will be no more than a speed bump to Xykon, right?"

*bunch

Barlen
2013-01-07, 06:23 PM

Xykon was away for a reasonable amount of time and likely didn't recast the epic spell when he returned. Depending on the timeline it may have just expired and Niu would be in the clear.

Finagle
2013-01-07, 06:25 PM
Is "Ho Thanh" a pun, or just a silly-sounding first name? It vaguely rings a bell.
It's Vietnamese. Ho is the family name, and Thanh is his name. Kind of strange since Azure City was supposed to be a "Japanese" culture (what is this Japan of which you speak) but here is an unmistakable Vietnamese name. All the rest are composed of proper kana syllables: Miko, Hinjo, Shojo, etc.

"Roy, lad, you know even a gaggle* of angels will be no more than a speed bump to Xykon, right?"
A speed bump is a traffic device to reduce vehicle speed to 5mph or so. Durkon is saying his magical defense idea will be easily defeated by Xykon.

SoC175
2013-01-07, 06:55 PM
after the kickstarter i believe Rich can take it easy without much problems for at least long enough to healI am not sure. That money was given for a business purpose, I don't think he just can divert a portion of it to pay his cost of living while recovering (although I wouldn't mind him diverting some of the money I donated to that purpose if that's what he needs)

Boogastreehouse
2013-01-07, 07:02 PM
I think it looks nicer with a line above and below...

It must feel so satisfying to be producing comics again, Giant. I know I'm enjoying it!

And now it really feels like the clock is ticking...

The suspense is terrible... I hope it lasts.

edit:

It's Vietnamese. Ho is the family name, and Thanh is his name. Kind of strange since Azure City was supposed to be a "Japanese" culture (what is this Japan of which you speak) but here is an unmistakable Vietnamese name. All the rest are composed of proper kana syllables: Miko, Hinjo, Shojo, etc.

I dated a Chinese girl by the name of Ho. Perhaps the name is more common than(h) you thought?

I think it looks nicer with a line above and below...

Needle
2013-01-07, 07:12 PM
I think it's Asian in general. Sangwaan was clearly not Japanese, but Korean, or so it sounded.

Anyways, it's great news that we have a new strip, I just hope Rich is better and not overexerting himself :smallsmile:

ti'esar
2013-01-07, 07:17 PM

I know it's Vietnamese (Azure City has always been only vaguely Japanese at best), but it also sounds like it might be a pun. I just can't place it.

Trixie
2013-01-07, 07:41 PM
I know it's Vietnamese (Azure City has always been only vaguely Japanese at best), but it also sounds like it might be a pun. I just can't place it.

Kind of similar to Ho Chi Minh? :smallconfused:

Bogardan_Mage
2013-01-07, 07:46 PM
O-Chul is a Korean name. Azure City is really more of a hodge-podge of far eastern cultures, as a parody of Oriental Adventures or something.

Finagle
2013-01-07, 07:46 PM
I dated a Chinese girl by the name of Ho. Perhaps the name is more common than(h) you thought?
Ho is not a syllable in Mandarin Chinese. Maybe it's a nickname, a mishearing, or another kind of Chinese. On the other hand, Ho coupled with Thanh is a combination very strongly identified with Vietnamese culture.

Gift Jeraff
2013-01-07, 07:51 PM
Hostess, which made Ho Hos, is dead?

Terbovus
2013-01-07, 08:34 PM
Smashin' job! But don't overdo it!:smallsmile:

t209
2013-01-07, 08:35 PM
I think thanh might be his surname since the asian rule didn't apply in D&D (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html).

Sith_Happens
2013-01-07, 09:15 PM
I am not sure. That money was given for a business purpose, I don't think he just can divert a portion of it to pay his cost of living while recovering (although I wouldn't mind him diverting some of the money I donated to that purpose if that's what he needs)

The "business purpose" of which you speak was primarily that of getting all the books back in print. Rich makes his income from book profits. Therefore, he (presumably) has money coming in right now.

EDIT:

:haley:: "If Nale is smart-- or, as is much more likely..."

Burn.:smallcool:

Kaulguard
2013-01-07, 10:35 PM
((The Giant's financial situation is very much none of our business, but I would hazard a guess that while hospital bills suck, he is almost certainly in the best position to deal with them than he would otherwise have been. Also, and I cannot really stress this enough: None of our business.))

Fantastic strip, Giant!

One of my DM buddies gave me some advice years ago, when I had a game that was dragging: Throw everything at 'em. Don't hold anything back, just draw all your plotlines out onto the floor at once. That very much seems like the plan here, and if it works half as well as it did in my game, we are all in for quite a ride!

Don't over-do it. Really.

FujinAkari
2013-01-07, 10:47 PM

Rich has said that he doesn't research any of his names... at all. He just picks names that have an asian feel.

Forikroder
2013-01-07, 10:59 PM
That may be, but you can reply to a sending sent towards you. I bet Hinjo casts a sending asking Niu what the hell happened, and then warns Roy. Or in reverse order.

what can she even tell him though?

gobs found us and killed us its pretty straight forward

Hinjo already knows everything he needs to know about the situation of Azure city, no more inside help, all the big names arent there anymore and xykon has his phylactery

t209
2013-01-07, 11:00 PM
Rich has said that he doesn't research any of his names... at all. He just picks names that have an asian feel.

About Shojo, It kinda became a coincidence since Miko (a girl) murdered him. Too bad resistance are gone, I was hoping a liberation arc (plus some civil wars, oppressing local tribes and settlements, tactics on using D&D elements, and how "good" side are not good at all).

Forikroder
2013-01-08, 12:09 AM
Ho Thanh. I didn't expect that. And neither that Elan's plan with Tarquin involves actual combat...

not neccesarily, the combat palys into Tarquins plan (legendary death) so normall Elan would be agaisnt combat (to deny him that death) if Elan has a climactic duel with his father then his father gets another chapter in the story about him

but even if Elan has a bunch of climactic duels if he has a way to make Tarquin jsut pack his bags and retire then theres no story and tarquin fades to obscurity Tarquin doesnt get his story until he finishs eating the continent and moves into the spotlight

Islander
2013-01-08, 12:17 AM
Today's comic has made an otherwise awful day more bearable. It mattered and I am thankful.

Icedaemon
2013-01-08, 12:45 AM
Edit: Either Durkon's twit or he's still in denial that his "friend" will join Linear Guild.

Less of a matter of 'twit' or denial, more not realizing he's dealing with a somewhat different brand of Lawful. To Durkon, Honour appears paramount. To Malack and Tarquin, Prudent Business Decisions and Company Policy are more important.

jrmasson
2013-01-08, 02:33 AM
Edit: Oh, right, of course there's the Cloister to consider. So assuming it's still active, Niu's Sending would either be one-way or, at best, providing Hinjo 25 words of response but nothing more. I don't think we've had any in-comic indications of over 16 + 5 weeks having passed since Cloister's casting (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0532.html), though.

The more likely answer is that Niu has finally moved far enough to be out of the Cloister spell's effect range.

Yendor
2013-01-08, 02:43 AM
Xykon has been renewing the Cloister (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0709.html) every few weeks. Nobody is going to be able to contact Niu through magic for months.

BobVosh
2013-01-08, 03:19 AM
Hah, I knew exoskeleton types were made jealous.

Forikroder
2013-01-08, 04:11 AM
nvm seems sending was blocked, i wonder if that prevents Hinjo from replying

Garwain
2013-01-08, 05:56 AM
Hinjo is coordinating between the two groups heading for the gates, and the elves and resistance. Seems like he's just sticking to the plan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0671.html).
Answering to Hiu might be done offpanel. Nothing important he has to say to her anyway.

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-01-08, 06:09 AM
It's nice having strips again, I forget to check them as often and they become a little surprise. Great comic, Giant!

Roderick_BR
2013-01-08, 06:47 AM
Yay! New comic. Nice way of catching up, Rich. Hope your hand is healing well.

Cynric
2013-01-08, 06:58 AM
And back to the Azurites. Wow, to think it's been nearly a year since I was sat staring at my pc screen shouting

"They're all dead! My God! Everybody's dead!"

Ah memories...

ScrapperTBP
2013-01-08, 07:07 AM
2 comics? Wow.

There is a reason that the gods don't interfere in this way but it hasn't been revealed yet. This was in a post the Giant made in a thread a while back.

Charity322
2013-01-08, 07:08 AM
Ho Thanh? Yeah, I realise it's just his name but having never heard it before it just looks rude lol.

Chantelune
2013-01-08, 07:16 AM
At first, I thought Niu was casually anouncing Than death, like "Oh, by the way, Than died." :smallbiggrin: Then I figured the lack of coma and that it was his name :smalltongue:

And Durkon is in for one nasty surprise (or at least revelation) when the LG come back with Malack. Looking forward to that meeting, it might be one heck of an awkward moment.

Xzeno
2013-01-08, 08:16 AM

Almost certainly not. A lot of people have been affirming this theory, but carrion crawlers are considered "product identity" and are not part of the open game license.

I submit that these creatures are not carrion crawlers, but instead a legitimate work of parody :smallcool:

Faramir
2013-01-08, 01:20 PM
Almost certainly not. A lot of people have been affirming this theory, but carrion crawlers are considered "product identity" and are not part of the open game license.

I submit that these creatures are not carrion crawlers, but instead a legitimate work of parody :smallcool:

I was assuming they were giant ants given that the island was used for camping and picnicking.

Nice to see the recovery continuing!

Shatteredtower
2013-01-08, 01:43 PM
I was assuming they were giant ants given that the island was used for camping and picnicking.

Them are giant ants? The picnicking angle is a good argument for it, though.

Bulldog Psion
2013-01-08, 02:01 PM

Ants of C'Thulhu, maybe. :smallwink:

The Giant
2013-01-08, 04:57 PM
Nobody says a thing when the Greenhilts have first names that are Gaelic, Greek, Norse, Roman, and Hebrew all in the same family, but if you put two different Asian ethnicities in the same country, everyone's confused. :smallyuk:

And yeah, let's avoid discussion of my personal finances or the comic's schedule. I promise that I'm not doing more comics than I think my thumb can handle.

hamishspence
2013-01-08, 05:06 PM
Nobody says a thing when the Greenhilts have first names that are Gaelic, Greek, Norse, Roman, and Hebrew all in the same family, but if you put two different Asian ethnicities in the same country, everyone's confused. :smallyuk:

Horace, Julia: Roman
Eric: Norse
Eugene: Greek
Sara: Hebrew

Is Roy the Gaelic one?

LTDave
2013-01-08, 05:43 PM
Hooray!

Welcome back Mr Giant!

Edhelras
2013-01-08, 06:36 PM
Yeah, this is so good! Finally back to the updates, and time to delve into the story again.

I wonder about those monsters, though. Is there a particular reason they've got green or turqoise speech balloons? Does it signify they're some summoned monsters or outsiders or something?

Also, I wonder, since Durkon claims he can cast Planar Ally 5 or 6 times in a row: Since Planar Ally is a lvl 6 clerical spell, and Durkon can hardly have WIS higher than 10+ modifier - does this indicate that his Clr level must be at least 17, providing him with 4 lvl 6 slots plus 1 or 2 slots for his WIS?
Meh, of course this is already in that geekery thread...

Mike Havran
2013-01-08, 06:43 PM
Also, I wonder, since Durkon claims he can cast Planar Ally 5 or 6 times in a row: Since Planar Ally is a lvl 6 clerical spell, and Durkon can hardly have WIS higher than 10+ modifier - does this indicate that his Clr level must be at least 17, providing him with 4 lvl 6 slots plus 1 or 2 slots for his WIS?
Meh, of course this is already in that geekery thread...

I think he can just cast it form his 7th level spell slots.

Finagle
2013-01-08, 07:07 PM
Nobody says a thing when the Greenhilts have first names that are Gaelic, Greek, Norse, Roman, and Hebrew all in the same family, but if you put two different Asian ethnicities in the same country, everyone's confused.
LOL. Well I'm not an expert on Gaelic and Norse...but I am on Asian names. Besides, I'm American, so I'm used to a mix of Western culture names and don't find it remarkable. On the other hand, when a "Japanese" culture has people named General Zhang and Ho Thanh, it sticks out like a sore thumb. :smallbiggrin:

Anyone else notice we're only on page 4 of the comments? Usually we would be on page 8 or 12 by now. The forum has really taken a hit.

ti'esar
2013-01-08, 07:13 PM
Horace, Julia: Roman
Eric: Norse
Eugene: Greek
Sara: Hebrew

Is Roy the Gaelic one?

Indeed. (http://www.behindthename.com/name/roy)

And honestly, Azure City is more "Oriental Adventures" than "Japan".

Xelbiuj
2013-01-08, 08:05 PM
Giant beat me to it. :smallsmile:

when a "Japanese" culture

Nope. Again, "What is this Japan you speak of?"
Did you miss all the other multicultural things in Azure City?
It's generic Asian.

Just like most western high fantasy is generic European/Mediterranean and just like their stint on the western continent is generic middle eastern, a mix of Persian and Arabic influences.

It's more about region than specific nationalities.

shylocxs
2013-01-08, 08:27 PM
Xykon! :smallbiggrin:

No, wait, it deserves to be said again.

XYKON!!!! :xykon::xykon::xykon::xykon::xykon::xykon::xykon:: xykon::smile:

Can't wait to see him again.

And please don't strain yourself... keep that thumb healing. We're all patient folks here.

sabelo2000
2013-01-09, 01:26 AM
Welcome back, Giant! I can't thank you enough!

...sorry, I really don't have anything else material to contribute to this discussion. Too giddy!

Baidas Kebante
2013-01-09, 02:35 AM
Ho is not a syllable in Mandarin Chinese. Maybe it's a nickname, a mishearing, or another kind of Chinese. On the other hand, Ho coupled with Thanh is a combination very strongly identified with Vietnamese culture.

Ho is a common Cantonese surname, a dialect of Chinese spoken mostly in the Guangdong province, Hong Kong SAR and Macau. Cantonese is also commonly spoken internationally due to a large amount of immigration from Hong Kong to the western parts of the world. Cities with large Chinese populations have been, until recently, mostly consisting of Cantonese Chinese speakers.

The overly-simplified reason for this is that from the early 60s to the late 90s most Chinese immigrants were likely people from Hong Kong trying to avoid the return of the city to China in 1997. On the other hand, immigrants from Mainland China who spoke Putonghua/Guoyu (or 'Mandarin' as Westerners seem to prefer) did not become very common until the late 90s likely due to relaxing emigration policies, though other factors also apply.

BriarHobbit
2013-01-09, 02:39 AM
Hurrah! A new comic is up.

Enero Irontoad
2013-01-09, 02:42 AM
I didn't expect another comic so soon. And to Roy's satisfaction and mine, the plot is speeding up.

Haley's question about the gate having lasers seemed really random to me, is it a reference to something?

Niknokitueu
2013-01-09, 03:15 AM
Brill comic Rich. Glad to hear your hand is getting better. Please don't overdo things - if it takes a few more months to heal properly, we will still be here when you get back.

Now, as to the last panel, "Dun dun DUNNN...!"

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Stella
2013-01-09, 06:19 AM
He, I like how Roy regards Durkon's summons as nothing more then 'speed bumps' for any real threat like Xykon. :smallbiggrin:
That seems a bit unfair. Durkon was the one who said his summoned angels wouldn't slow Xykon down much. Roy just agreed with him. And far be it for a fighter to disagree with a cleric's own assessment of his spell efficacy, right?

Hypothetical
2013-01-09, 08:32 AM
To mangle an old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles quote :

"You know guys, I'm not so sure if, temporal-spatially speaking, it's such a good idea to open a trans dimensional portal so close to a Gate that is a trans dimensional portal."

Origin :

"You know guys, I not sure if, structurally speaking, this is such a good time for your friends to drop in." ( TMNT, the movie.)

P.S. Welcome back Rich. Glad to know you're on the mend. I've missed my favorite gang of barely competent adventurers and Roy.

Hypothetical
2013-01-09, 08:35 AM
Ho is a common Cantonese surname, a dialect of Chinese spoken mostly in the Guangdong province, Hong Kong SAR and Macau. Cantonese is also commonly spoken internationally due to a large amount of immigration from Hong Kong to the western parts of the world. Cities with large Chinese populations have been, until recently, mostly consisting of Cantonese Chinese speakers.

The overly-simplified reason for this is that from the early 60s to the late 90s most Chinese immigrants were likely people from Hong Kong trying to avoid the return of the city to China in 1997. On the other hand, immigrants from Mainland China who spoke Putonghua/Guoyu (or 'Mandarin' as Westerners seem to prefer) did not become very common until the late 90s likely due to relaxing emigration policies, though other factors also apply.

This has been your daily "More than you probably wanted to know" minute. We now return you to your regularly scheduled silliness.

Stabbey
2013-01-09, 10:06 AM
Wow I wasn't expecting a new comic so soon. Awesome.

The first part of the sending we didn't see was probably along the lines of "Phlactery found and captured, but Redcloak found resistance base. Mass slaughter."

rewinn
2013-01-09, 11:33 AM
Them are giant ants? The picnicking angle is a good argument for it, though.

Are you referring to Them! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twyFJbnGNX4) ?

One of my favorite movies when I was about 8!

Ho is a common Cantonese surname, a dialect of Chinese spoken mostly in ... etc etc etc.

I really appreciate people with ranks in Knowledge (Stuff The Forum Doesn't Know) sharing it; thanks!

SinsI
2013-01-09, 01:15 PM
Ugh, Durkon must be REALLY rich...
6xPlanar Ally*1000 Gold Per HD (Days Per Level Task) * 12 HD (Astral Deva) * ?(especially hazardous task) >= 72k Gold.

To just throw it away for the enemy to Banish them...

Mike Havran
2013-01-09, 02:23 PM
6xPlanar Ally*1000 Gold Per HD (Days Per Level Task) * 12 HD (Astral Deva) * ?(especially hazardous task) >= 72k Gold.

Haley alone has about 200k Gold she won't need as a ransom anymore... and it might be possible that Planar Ally doesn't cost gold in OotS-verse, since Durkon was worried only about XP cost.

MaxTer
2013-01-09, 03:21 PM
great come back giant !

Adeptus
2013-01-09, 03:53 PM
It's great to have you back Giant :)

Kornaki
2013-01-09, 04:04 PM

" However, if the task is strongly aligned with the creature’s ethos, it may halve or even waive the payment."

I think they're going to be OK on that front

SinsI
2013-01-09, 07:01 PM
" However, if the task is strongly aligned with the creature’s ethos, it may halve or even waive the payment."

I think they're going to be OK on that front

Accent is on "it" - you must be ready to give the reward, it is the creature's choice whether it waives your payment or not.

Furthermore, if the enemy is Xykon, it might just decide that it wants nothing to do with "a task that seems suicidal"...

GreatWyrmGold
2013-01-09, 07:22 PM
The second name should have been revealed before. Now it's not serving as protection anymore. :smallbiggrin:
It's not Daigo there.
Not good for Ho, but he's dead.

I'm guessing Hinjo and some others were cleaning out the obligatory ancient ruins to make it habitable, improve the treasury, and get some XP. Clearly I'm not the only one...

Slight problems.
1. Hinjo has some unidentified soldiers with him.
2. We don't know how many beasties there are there.
3. Is that a high- or low-threat encounter for the adventure? When making adventures for my group, I include some easy encounters an EL or two below their level and some encounters a few above theirs.
4. Those aren't carrion crawlers. They're too smart.

[QUOTE=Xelbiuj;14488420]So, what kind of cool undead is Tarquin going to be? lol. (Yes, I'll be reusing this when Xykon actually does show up.)
Probably something which retains its intellect--Tarquin's greatest asset--but can be controlled. Vampire? Even if Xykon can't get a friendly vamp willing to turn him, sunlight's a good way to control him. Or garlic. Or holy symbols. Or putting Tarquin in a room which isn't part of Xykon's residence but which he has to enter said residence before he can leave (perhaps via extraplanar spaces). Or...

I vote denial.

Less of a matter of 'twit' or denial, more not realizing he's dealing with a somewhat different brand of Lawful. To Durkon, Honour appears paramount. To Malack and Tarquin, Prudent Business Decisions and Company Policy are more important.
Also possible.

No. See above. Carrion crawlers are too dumb, and anyways don't have facial tentacles. Or arms.

So what is needed to turn OOTS into Dark Fantasy?
We got Bad guys winning and Almost useless gods.
We would need Elan to be killed and replaced by an extra evil character.

Yes, I'd say those are carrion crawlers. Presumably, they're talking for the sake of humor. :smallbiggrin:
That still leaves the whole "illithid tendrils" thing.

So Elan has a brilliant intuition in one page, and reveals to have a brilliant plan in the next one? Are you sure about this?
Elan's been undergoing character development, and his intelligence comes in waves.

O-Chul is a Korean name. Azure City is really more of a hodge-podge of far eastern cultures, as a parody of Oriental Adventures or something.
Agreed.

Also a good point.

I vote creatures which are not at all ad hoc tauric illithid/carrion crawlers.

Nerds will be weird. And I say that as a proud nerd.

Haley's question about the gate having lasers seemed really random to me, is it a reference to something?
It's a reference to lasers being scary things that could be used for defense.

Accent is on "it" - you must be ready to give the reward, it is the creature's choice whether it waives your payment or not.
However, it's entirely possible that Durkon could pray to Thor and let him know how much he needed it and pleaded for it with all the reason he and Roy could come up with, that the angel or whatever would waive the payment.

Furthermore, if the enemy is Xykon, it might just decide that it wants nothing to do with "a task that seems suicidal"...
Of course, neither the deva nor the Order knows anything about Xykon being ready to head out.

jere7my
2013-01-09, 07:50 PM
Carrion crawlers are too dumb, and anyways don't have facial tentacles. Or arms.

(...)

That still leaves the whole "illithid tendrils" thing.

Carrion crawlers do indeed have facial tentacles:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5c/Carrion_crawler.JPG

It's true that they don't have arms, but they do have front pairs of legs, which is what the critters in question are gesturing with.

F.Harr
2013-01-10, 12:53 AM
What I'm interested in is, if Sir Thumb (may his recovery be swift) hadn't gotten hurt, would the revolation that the Fighter in Purple was Tarquin would have happened at about the same time, or did the recovery give Mr. Berlew the desier to speed that up?

If the thumb is sore, draw no more.

If the thumb swells, that rings the break bells.

coineineagh
2013-01-10, 01:01 AM
I know the image was just from Durkon's imagination, but I wonder if it gives us a glimpse of the dimensions of the upcoming gate...:smallconfused:

factotum
2013-01-10, 03:09 AM

It's impossible for any task that takes place on the Material Plane to be suicidal for an Outsider--if you kill them, they just get banished back to their home plane.

SinsI
2013-01-10, 03:18 AM
It's impossible for any task that takes place on the Material Plane to be suicidal for an Outsider--if you kill them, they just get banished back to their home plane.

Read a little on Planar Ally spell. Banishment is only for short time summoning spells, if they die from calling spells like that they are dead for good. Celia was afraid for a reason...

However, it's entirely possible that Durkon could pray to Thor and let him know how much he needed it and pleaded for it with all the reason he and Roy could come up with, that the angel or whatever would waive the payment.

Of course, neither the deva nor the Order knows anything about Xykon being ready to head out.
Thor is responsible for granting the spellpower for the calling, he has nothing to do with the creature's desires and has no influence. In short: prepare the monies or be ready to waste XP

They know that the Xykon is searching for that Gate, how ready is he matters little -as Lawful Goods the Devas would have to protect it from him once they accept the task.

ratfox
2013-01-10, 04:08 AM
Niu only says 14 words on panel.

What were the first 11 words of the Sending?

"Is this thing working? Can you hear me? All right then:"

factotum
2013-01-10, 08:02 AM
Read a little on Planar Ally spell. Banishment is only for short time summoning spells, if they die from calling spells like that they are dead for good. Celia was afraid for a reason...

Oops, sorry, you're right...I hereby withdraw my objection.

Burner28
2013-01-10, 08:52 AM
Awesome strip.

M.A.D
2013-01-10, 12:48 PM
The more likely answer is that Niu has finally moved far enough to be out of the Cloister spell's effect range.

Even then, she'd still have to wait several weeks until the spell wears off her body

Mordaenor
2013-01-11, 09:18 PM
A spellcaster banishing monsters is a spellcaster who's not killing us. I'll take two please.

Hehehe. New favorite quote.

Terrador
2013-01-12, 12:23 AM
Thor is responsible for granting the spellpower for the calling, he has nothing to do with the creature's desires and has no influence. In short: prepare the monies or be ready to waste XP.

Do note that Durkon would only need the money for one of them at a time; furthermore, I think it's fairly safe to assume that an Astral Deva would be willing to waive the fee for something like this. I mean, Durkon is confident enough to not even mention the gold (although that could be attributed to its relative insignificance), and he's definitely packing at least some Know(Religion).

That said, he would only need 12k for any one Deva, if the projections earlier were accurate. I'm fairly certain that Durkon + whoever happened to be near him at the time (read: probably at least one member of the Order, most likely Roy) would have at least 12k in their collective pocket.

Of course, I can't let my first post here go by without thanking you, Rich, for all your work on the comic. You are a brilliant storyteller and artist; the Order has certainly brightened my days, and I'm very excited to see where it goes from here. Thank you again, and the very best of luck to you and Sir Thumb.

fan4battle
2013-01-12, 07:37 AM
I wonder if the Order picked Tarquin's axe. He threw it at Belkar and didn't get it back before teleporting. Shouldn't the axe have powerful magical properties?

Gift Jeraff
2013-01-12, 12:27 PM
Elan obviously took Nale's sword and Tarquin's axe so he can give them back for a properly dramatic battle.

Juggling Goth
2013-01-12, 04:34 PM
*Jumps up and down like a loon*

I am so excited to see a new comic! Thank you, Giant! *Bounces around some more*

But look after that thumb. Don't feel pressurised to post more quicker than you should. Take care.

Edhelras
2013-01-13, 01:31 PM
A spellcaster banishing monsters is a spellcaster who's not killing us.

Heh. When I read this sentence, my first impression of was: What is this monster that is banishing spellcasters?

But maybe that would have to be written thusly: "A spellcaster-banishing monster" ?

Does such a thing actually exist? A monster with the special ability to banish magic-users? The Magekiller PrC from Magic of Faerun is dedicated to fighting mages, but not banishing them.

Perhaps if there existed some kind of field that was more than usually anti magic. I mean, really, really against magic and magic-users....

lio45
2013-01-13, 08:05 PM

Big difference: all the Greenhilt first names (Roy, Eugene, Julia, Horace, Eric, Sara) are common modern American names.

In other words, there does exist a real-world culture/country right now where you'll find all the Greenhilt first names naturally occurring together, while there does not exist a single one where names like Miko Miyazaki and Ho Thanh sound both common/native.

So that's why "nobody says a thing" in one case, not the other. The Greenhilt set of first names is a natural set, the Azurites' names aren't.

Edited to add: I'm not complaining in any way, just pointing out the reason behind the different reactions. :)

Boogastreehouse
2013-01-13, 08:25 PM

Big difference: all the Greenhilt first names (Roy, Eugene, Julia, Horace, Eric, Sara) are common modern American names.

In other words, there does exist a real-world culture/country right now where you'll find all the Greenhilt first names naturally occurring together, while there does not exist a single one where names like Miko Miyazaki and Ho Thanh sound both common/native.

So that's why "nobody says a thing" in one case, not the other. The Greenhilt set of first names is a natural set, the Azurites' names aren't.

Edited to add: I'm not complaining in any way, just pointing out the reason behind the different reactions. :)

Actually,I don't see why Modern America—a country full of citizens originally from Asian countries such as (to name just a few) China, Korea, Vietnam, Japan—is to be considered invalid as a setting in which these names might be found together. I'm sure that names like Miko Miyazaki and Ho Thanh sound both common and native to residents of neighborhoods in the US with large immigrant populations.

lio45
2013-01-13, 11:32 PM
Actually,I don't see why Modern America—a country full of citizens originally from Asian countries such as (to name just a few) China, Korea, Vietnam, Japan—is to be considered invalid as a setting in which these names might be found together.

If you consider the U.S. to be too multicultural to be a proper example of one culture, then no problem, just replace it by Britain in the Greenhilt first name example and my point stands.

I'm sure that names like Miko Miyazaki and Ho Thanh sound both common and native to residents of neighborhoods in the US with large immigrant populations.

No... by very definition, the only place on this planet where the name "Miko Miyazaki" has a chance of sounding native is Japan, and the only place on this planet where the name "Ho Thanh" has a chance of sounding native is Vietnam.

SteveDJ
2013-01-15, 05:29 PM
I know the image was just from Durkon's imagination, but I wonder if it gives us a glimpse of the dimensions of the upcoming gate...:smallconfused:

Actually, I think his 'imagination' has quite a resemblance of the first - and only - gate that Durkon has seen (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0114.html) :smallsmile:

ChristianSt
2013-01-15, 06:04 PM
Actually, I think his 'imagination' has quite a resemblance of the first - and only - gate that Durkon has seen (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0114.html) :smallsmile:

only is wrong: He has seen a second gate: Soon's (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0411.html) (ok, Dorukan's looks more like someone would imagine a gate - but it should be clear to Durkon (and the rest of the Order) that they cannot expect to know how Girard's Gate will look like)

Shred-Bot
2013-01-16, 11:49 AM
only is wrong: He has seen a second gate: Soon's (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0411.html) (ok, Dorukan's looks more like someone would imagine a gate - but it should be clear to Durkon (and the rest of the Order) that they cannot expect to know how Girard's Gate will look like)

Especially since Girard is an illusionist. That gate could look like absolutely anything.

Gift Jeraff
2013-01-16, 02:10 PM
The OOTS has seen every Gate but Kraagor's because they can see the crayon drawings.

SteveDJ
2013-01-16, 04:48 PM
The OOTS has seen every Gate but Kraagor's because they can see the crayon drawings.

And interestingly, Girard's gate does look somewhat reasonably similar to what Durkon imagined. :smallbiggrin:

Edit: removed misstatement by me :smallsmile:

Snails
2013-01-16, 05:50 PM
I wonder if the Order picked Tarquin's axe. He threw it at Belkar and didn't get it back before teleporting. Shouldn't the axe have powerful magical properties?

Probably.

But Roy's sword is probably a 100k (or higher) value weapon, plus he has likely sunk 4 or 5 feats into specializing into greatsword. Anything less than a 200k weapon is not likely to serve Roy better.

BTW, devas can accept magic items like this greataxe for payment. If the devas are highly cooperative with Durkon, just this one axe could even be shared. ("I offer you a one-sixth ownership share in this 72,000 gp greataxe.")

Finagle
2013-01-17, 03:26 AM
All of the rifts are visible in one of the crayon comics, including Girard's located in the desert and Kraagor's in the snow (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html).

Yendor
2013-01-17, 04:14 AM
All of the rifts are visible in one of the crayon comics, including Girard's located in the desert and Kraagor's in the snow (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html).

...but Kraagor's rift is not in that comic; it was the one before it (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html). And Kraagor's Gate is not shown in that comic or (to my recollection) any other. (And we only found out about Soon's Gate much later.)

FujinAkari
2013-01-17, 10:18 AM

Except the crayon drawings were a story Shojo told, they aren't visual at all...

jamiah93
2013-01-17, 12:14 PM
In panel 3, Haley asks if it(the gate) had lasers to aid in its defence. Durkon responded with Planar Ally. Is this an implied "i have planar ally", or does the gate act as some sort of planar ally wand as an added defense mechanism?

Kish
2013-01-17, 12:19 PM
Durkon is casting Planar Ally in the Order's plan. The Gate is not. No one in the Order has knowledge of any defenses the Gate may have with all its defenders slaughtered by Vaarsuvius.

Gift Jeraff
2013-01-17, 06:08 PM
Except the crayon drawings were a story Shojo told, they aren't visual at all...

OOTS is a 4th-wall breaking comedy above all else. They can see flashbacks and such if the joke calls for it. If a future joke or plot point calls for them to have seen the crayon drawings, then it will be so. If a future joke or plot requires them to NOT know what the Gates look like, then that will be so.

So far, Elan has commented on seeing crayon drawings (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0387.html) for a minor gag.