PDA

View Full Version : Help Building a Swashbuckler/Duelist 3.5

Blackadam
2013-01-07, 01:42 PM
Hi every i'm new to the forums and wanted to say howdy...so HOWDY :D

I've played D&D since 03 i believe unfortunately i haven't played much since 4th ed came out eck poo...... any-hoot I'm going to be getting together with my old group and since I'm EXTREMELY rusty i wanted to throw out to you guys what my character concept is for the moment and get input on how i can make him/her (yea i dunno yet) better

House rule we play by is that the books have to be from WOTC no 3rd party books and that we have to bring whatever books we use to the game session and since i got my DM all the books on PDF he completely fine with ALL WOTC books ^_^

The character Concept as a child has always been fascinated by contest of skills like fencing, samurais, Blade-singers, etc. and what not because of their elegance He/She takes it a sing of a "master" of their perspective art to be able to evade your opponents attacks and being able to use the least amount of effort in attacking them. (not necessarily doing rage barbarian damage just knowing where to hit the opponent for precise damage) With that the basis of my characters background i came up with the sketchy idea for the character he doesnt want EVER to be hit (like every character and wants to be able to hit EVERYTIME)

This is my idea so far as a 15 lvl character
Swash buckler/Duelist

Feats:
Able Learner
Combat Intuition
Deft Opportunist
Imp. Initiative
Vexing Flanker
Quick Reconnoiter
Combat Reflexes

Items

BAG OF HOLDING

The weapon i'm thinking will either be a +1 Rapier or Elven thin blade if elven of some kind
+1 to hit and then i want to add metalline as a weapon property

and i'm pretty sure there is a enchantment i can add on to do dex damage i just cant remember what its called i wanted to add

So far this is what i have like i said its a concept i was mentally working on the last few days, i could really use help picking out the right gear and race who would give me the best stats for this. And fine tune the character yes i want to minmax power game the bejesus out of the character

What else can i say about the characters persona so far not arrogant in his demenor but very confident in his skill always seeking to improve on them a cross between Hajime Saito/Tony Stark

Lonely Tylenol
2013-01-07, 02:47 PM
Swift death to evil!

Have you considered a few levels of Factotum in the build? It would interfere only slightly with the build to put four levels of Factotum in place of three levels of Swashbuckler, which would get you the Inspiration of a fourth-level Factotum, plus the ability to use that to add your INT to hit, damage, a save, your Armor Class against a given foe (like Dodge, but awesome), your Factotum level to a skill check, and sneak attack damage dice on occasion. Also, you would gain your INT as a bonus to all your STR- and DEX-based checks (including Balance, Tumble, and initiative).

As for gear... There is an enhancement in Magic Item Compendium that grants you the benefit of the Mobility feat. Check with your DM and see if they'll let that count as Mobility for the purpose of prerequisites? :smallwink:

Blackadam
2013-01-07, 03:01 PM
thanks i will in which book can i see the class Factotum in??
for magic items i was really thinking like +2 dex item and +2 int on a ring or something and lesser bracers of archery atm i hadn't really given items much thought because i wanted to get the character classes and race down 1st as for race i was thinking grey elf for some reason but i honestly cant remember why :/

Lonely Tylenol
2013-01-07, 03:32 PM
thanks i will in which book can i see the class Factotum in??
for magic items i was really thinking like +2 dex item and +2 int on a ring or something and lesser bracers of archery atm i hadn't really given items much thought because i wanted to get the character classes and race down 1st as for race i was thinking grey elf for some reason but i honestly cant remember why :/

Factotum is in Dungeonscape (p. 13).

Grey Elf can be a good choice if CON isn't a great concern, and if STR is not your only way of gaining damage (you have extra damage dice, or something); the +2 DEX, +2 INT can go a long way in the right hands, but the -2 CON can hurt a lot. At level 15, however, you can afford to have a race with a CON penalty moreso than at lower levels (just buy an item with + to CON).

What kind of gear you have, and how much, really depends on what wealth you are entering the game with. A 15th-level character enters play with 200,000gp, following the wealth-by-level guidelines (Dungeon Master's Guide, p.135), but if you were to add all the items you currently have up, you'd have 28,808gp spent; barely a tenth of it in all. So we have a long way to go there... Provided, of course, the DM allows it. Also of note: anything on the "Adding/Improving Common Item Effects" table (Magic Item Compendium, p. 234) can be added to an existing item, so you can have Lesser Bracers of Archery and Dexterity +2/4/6 without taking up an extra item slot.

Anyway.

If you want more of a feel akin to Saito Hajime, have you considered the Iaijutsu Master prestige class (Oriental Adventures, p. 41)? It has some abilities akin to a Duelist, but more Charisma based (CHA to initiative; stacks with the Factotum's INT to initiative, the Duelist's untyped bonus to initiative, regular DEX to initiative, and the Improved Initiative feat, for a truly obscene initiative bonus), and uses the Iaijutsu Focus skill (Oriental Adventures, p. 58), which is a very interesting way to control the flow of combat (basically, by being first, striking quickly for a lot of damage, and then just always being ahead). While it would be feat intensive, a Factotum 4/Swashbuckler 3/Iaijutsu Master 8 would give you the ability to strike twice as a standard action during an iaijutsu duel, or the first round of combat (or any time that you draw your weapon on a flat-footed enemy, like the surprise round), doing Iaijutsu Focus bonus damage twice (with your CHA modifier added to each dice added via Iaijutsu Focus). With three stats added to your initiative modifier, you will go first (unless all three of these stats are in terrible shape), which will allow you to start the combat charging in on your flat-footed enemy, striking first and decisively before they can even counter-act! Very much, in fact, like Saito Hajime did in Rorouni Kenshin.

Blackadam
2013-01-07, 05:07 PM
i do like the always be 1st factor. (CHA to initiative; stacks with the Factotum's INT to initiative, the Duelist's untyped bonus to initiative, regular DEX to initiative, and the Improved Initiative feat, for a truly obscene initiative bonus) i was keeping duelist as the main prestige class because of elaborate parry and with combat expertise pump up my AC up there with the moon (DEX +WIS +INT) if only i can found classes to add CHA, CON, STR to AC

Monk 1 lvl (so i can get WIS to AC)
Swash buckler 6 lvls

Iaijutsu Master 3 lvls (i'm happy with just getting up to shunpo)

Feats Ii need [Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Weapon Focus]

Duelist 5 lvls ( will at least take 7lvls to get Elaborate parry, well really this would be the prestige class once i get into it i'm done multiclassing)

Factotum so i

Feats I need: [Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Finesse.}

These i want

Able Learner
Combat Intuition
Deft Opportunist
Imp. Initiative
Vexing Flanker
Quick Reconnoiter
Combat Reflexes

Weapon Focus and Weapon finesse i didn't note for some reason but are a must. Correct me if i'm wrong but Weapon Spec are specifically for fighters right i think at 4th level and 8th level you can add those no?

First round i go up to the big ugly looking viliian check to see how hard he is to hit. judge by 2nd round if he was easy to hit take 5 to add my AC make it HARDER for them to hit same idea i can jump into the middle swarm of enemies with vexing flanker and my AC so high they shouldn't be able to touch me but if they do +5 to AC again. i believe their was a way so that i can take up more than just the 5 from combat expertise or i may just be thinking 5 as the example in the description of the feat

this is how i started the back story with my character and got stuck on how i can min max this concept

Lonely Tylenol
2013-01-07, 05:54 PM
i do like the always be 1st factor. i was keeping duelist as the main prestige class because of elaborate parry and with combat expertise pump up my AC up there with the moon

I'm not sure Elaborate Parry explicitly works with Combat Expertise--it only specifies fighting defensively or taking the total defense action, and Combat Expertise is neither. (The difference is significant, and is the reason Combat Expertise is explicitly listed elsewhere.) This is significant, because it means that Combat Expertise in general just defeats the purpose of Elaborate Parry entirely--but more importantly, the bonuses can be easily acquired elsewhere anyway. Proficiency in a broadblade short sword (Complete Adventurer, p. 117) gets you an extra +1 to AC whenever you fight defensively, use the total defense action, or use Combat Expertise with at least 2 points taken off (it says an extra +2, but was reduced in the errata; check with your DM to see which version he uses). The Defensive Surge weapon enhancement (Magic Item Compendium, p. 32) gives you an additional +2 to AC whenever you fight defensively with the weapon or use the Combat Expertise feat 1 + INT mod times per day. Together, these two item-related enhancements and abilities would net you a +5 to AC when you take a -2 with Combat Expertise quite cheaply, while Elaborate Parry would net you a +3 to AC when you take a -4 fighting defensively (+4 to AC with 5 ranks in Tumble, which you will have after fulfilling prerequisites). Even without them, Combat Expertise breaks even with Elaborate Parry without a 7-level investment into a prestige class.

I mean, I appreciate the sentiment that you're trying to get at, but Elaborate Parry does not do what you want it to well, unfortunately. If you can swing it, you would be much better off taking the Martial Study feat (Tome of Battle, p. 31) at 6th level or later or taking a single level in the Warblade base class (ibid, p. 20) at or after 5th level to take the Wall of Blades maneuver (ibid, p. 70), and then using that to literally parry telling blows with an opposing attack roll.

Monk 1 lvl (so i can get wisdom to to AC)
Swash buckler 6 lvls

Iaijutsu Master 3 lvls (i'm happy with just getting up to shunpo)

Feats Ii need [Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Weapon Focus]

Duelist 5 lvls ( will at least take 7lvls to get Elaborate parry)

Feats I need: [Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Finesse.}

A few things:

1) I know you have the ability scores to manage to get -something- out of it, but I would caution against taking Monk for the WIS to AC. You already need DEX, CON, and INT to make a Swashbuckler/Duelist work, plus a reasonable STR, and you want a high CHA for Iaijutsu Fous (although it's not strictly necessary); WIS is probably going to be your lowest attribute, pre-racial modifiers, and you don't want to count on it for too much. Plus, the WIS to AC only applies when you are not wearing armor, so unless you somehow pumped your WIS into the stratosphere, in spite of it being your lowest stat, it will probably be lower than it would be in the light armor you could be wearing anyway (a mithral chain shirt offers a +4 to AC with a max DEX bonus of 6, and can be enhanced up to a +5, for a total armor bonus of 9 at the cost of only 26,100 gp). The Factotum can use its Cunning Dodge ability (which gets you a dodge bonus equal to your INT modifier--even if only against one enemy at a time) in light armor, which makes it objectively better for that purpose. If you do go Monk, though, peruse the Monk fighting styles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm) - Cobra Strike gets you Dodge and Passive Way gets you Combat Expertise in place of the usual first-level feat, which will be useful for getting the essentials of your build out.

2) I would also caution against taking the extra three levels of Swashbuckler. Past third level (when you get your INT to damage with a finesse-able weapon), the only thing you get is a +1 dodge bonus to AC, which, unfortunately, doesn't amount to much. If the dodge bonus was that appealing to you, however, you could take four levels of Rogue (or three levels, if your DM lets you use fractional BAB rules) and then take the Daring Outlaw feat (Complete Scoundrel, p. 76): in exchange for the good Fort of the Swashbuckler, you get three levels of good Reflex, a TON more skill points (8+INT as opposed to 4+INT), the same Dodge +1 that you would get normally (you count as a 6th-level Swashbuckler for the purpose of getting Grace and Dodge bonuses), and Sneak Attack +3d6 or +4d6, depending on the number of Rogue levels you took (you count as a 6th- or 7th-level Rogue for the purposes of gaining Sneak Attack dice). Daring Outlaw is such a good idea to take that it literally makes the Swashbuckler class only three levels long; after INT to damage with light weapons, everything else is either scaling bonuses you pick up with Daring Outlaw, or an ability that Rogue special talents (or Ambush feats, which Rogue special talents can pick up) do better.

3) If you are going the Iaijutsu Master route at all, it is absolutely necessary to take at least one level of Factotum (with Able Learner), or two (without Able Learner). Iaijutsu Master requires 9 ranks in Iaijutsu Focus, which is a class skill reserved only for the Oriental Adventures Samurai class, as base classes go... And Samurai does nothing for you. However, Factotum gains every skill as a class skill--including Iaijutsu Focus, by that wording--which makes it the one and only exception to that rule. Plus, with its INT-based abilities, it has a lot of great synergies with Swashbuckler and even Duelist, and a lot of skills and just generally solid class features. Even if you don't go the Iaijutsu Master route, Factotum is a great class to take at first level with Able Learner: since Factotum contains all skills as class skills, Able Learner would mean that all skills always cost 1 point per rank for you, as if they were all always class skills. Also, even if you don't go into Iaijutsu Master, Iaijutsu Focus is just generally a good idea to take for a character that goes first and strikes fast.

4) I don't actually recommend taking both Duelist and Iaijutsu Master without Fighter levels to shore up your feats, since both have hefty requirements, but if you do, I would take Iaijutsu Master first, and at least five levels of it, before you advance to Duelist, for three reasons:
- Iaijutsu Master's signature ability comes at the fifth level of the class, and it is worth all five levels;
- Iaijutsu Master gets you a bonus feat at fourth level, which can be used for Combat Expertise or for a prerequisite feat for Duelist, making entry into the class easier; and
- If you take 5 levels in the class, you can take your 12th-level feat before you take a level in Duelist, which will make it easier to qualify for the class.

In general, though, I would recommend just taking one of the two prestige classes (in which case my vote goes to Iaijutsu Master) so that you don't have to spend all of your feats for most of your career in order to qualify for both.

These i want

Able Lerner
Combat Intuition
Deft Opportunist
Imp. Initiative
Vexing Flanker
Quick Reconnoiter
Combat Reflexes

Weapon Focus and Weapon finesse i didn't note for some reason but are a must. Correct me if i'm wrong but Weapon Spec are specifically for fighters right i think at 4th level and 8th level you can add those no?

Weapon Specialization does require fighter levels, yes.

Swashbucklers get Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat at 1st level, so it is not necessary to take that feat. Iaijutsu Masters also gain Weapon Finesse with katanas, making it even more unnecessary (if you wield a katana!).

Blackadam
2013-01-07, 06:22 PM
elaborate parry lets you add 1 point of INT per lvl of duelist ( you get it at 7th lvl so after that each lvl is basically another +1 to your ac swashbuckler i through in to 6th lvl just to throw it in their

i could easy go
fighter 2 lvls so i can get more of my feats out of the way
swashbuckler 3 lvl get int to damage
rogue 2 lvls to get sneak attack
ninja 2lvls to get sudden strike
Factotum 1 lvl

by this point see which pristine class i go into 1st
either
Iaijutsu Master 3 lvls

or

duelist for the INT to AC for the rest of the game

okay knowing i'll get weapon finesse with a katana lets me know what weapon i will be using now
the lvl of monk for AC was really because yes i will be wearing light armor i'm thinking about past this like closer to the end of the career for him that he or she reaches a level of skill "so great" they give up using armor all together

Lonely Tylenol
2013-01-07, 06:34 PM
elaborate parry lets you add 1 point of INT per lvl of duelist ( you get it at 7th lvl so after that each lvl is basically another +1 to your ac swashbuckler i through in to 6th lvl just to throw it in their

Aha. Yes, I missed that. My bad.

i could easy go
fighter 2 lvls so i can get more of my feats out of the way
swashbuckler 3 lvl get int to damage
rogue 2 lvls to get sneak attack
ninja 2lvls to get sudden strike
Factotum 4 lvls

To trim the fat: Ninja's sudden strike is basically analogous to sneak attack, but you probably want sneak attack anyway (it stacks better). Take three (or four) levels of Rogue and none of Ninja.

Four levels of Factotum are less necessary with Rogue levels on the table. I would still take three, but in light of the Rogue levels, you could do away with most (or all) of them.

Consider:
Factotum 1/Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 3/Fighter 1/Iaijutsu Master 2 (it has no class features on the third level; CHA to initiative is on the second level)/Duelist 4

This will get you reasonably far into Duelist by the time you enter play.

Blackadam
2013-01-07, 06:42 PM
sweet thank you i'll definitely play with and get it down on paper so i can map out the character just right.

i forgot a house rule he set is we can use gestalt classes ONLY on base classes and only up to 10 lvls of gestalt say you mix 2 lvls of classes A and B then 8 lvls of classes C and D or any combination youd like just no more than 10 lvls

any hoot so for able learner
i'm human or doppelganger

for a FREE feat i use a Katana
alright nice i'll work on my background story and once i get the rest of my character mapped out i'll post it on here and see what you think

Juntao112
2013-01-07, 06:47 PM
You may find this (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?303808-It-s-Time-To-Duel!) build of interest.

Lonely Tylenol
2013-01-07, 06:47 PM
i forgot a house rule he set is we can use gestalt classes ONLY on base classes and only up to 10 lvls of gestalt say you mix 2 lvls of classes A and B then 8 lvls of classes C and D

Oh. In that case, do this. Gestalt Swashbuckler 3/Rogue 7 on one end, and... Hoo boy. Factotum 4/Fighter 2/somethingorother 4 on the other, making sure at least one side has a full BAB class at all times. You might actually be able to get into the first PrC you want fairly quickly with this, and not need the full ten levels of gestalt (though they are a great convenience).

You might even consider something like Swashbuckler 3/Rogue 3//Factotum 3/Fighter 2/Warblade 1 for the first six levels, followed by 2 levels of Iaijutsu Master and 7 of Duelist. Bam!

samuraijaques
2013-01-07, 06:53 PM
one thing to consider with the rogue and swashbuckler levels is the ever effective feat, daring outlaw. it stacks your rogue and swashbuckler levels for the purposes of sneak attack, grace and the swashbucklers AC bonus. very effective if you can reliably gain flanking bonuses which shouldn't be a problem for you.

cheers

Blackadam
2013-01-07, 07:04 PM
i know the possibilities are CRAZY so to try and keep my focused i pick an objective and kinda just try and flow with it and try and min max it since mine is to be a pinger who always hits with an outrageous AC. and i know theres so many books out there with so much i could use i was like let me post what i'm thinking of for my character creation and someone will mention something i dont know and i can work with it if it fits what i have in mind and take notes for a future char

at 1st i was thinking a fancy Renaissance person with a rapier till you mentioned how i can abuse the initiative bonus by adding CHA to it

side note this is why i love 3.5 and HATE 4ed............

gorfnab
2013-01-07, 07:09 PM
Here is a fencer build that I came up with awhile ago. It's focused on fighting defensively for a huge bonus to AC. It's highly mobile, has decent HP, and almost full BAB.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Cobra Strike (UA) Deceptive Strike (PHBII) Monk - Camendine Monk, Combat Expertise, B: Dodge
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - B: Mobility
3. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense, B: Weapon Finesse
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander
10. Thief Acrobat
11. Warblade
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormgaurd Warrior
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11.

If flaws are available pick up EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (pre-errata version if possible) or Versatile Unarmed Strike and Snap Kick (may need to rearrange later feats). If traits are available pick up Cautious.

The Monk and Swashbuckler levels (levels 1 through 5) can be switched around to taste. I personally like Swash 1/ Monk 2/ Swash 2

Blackadam
2013-01-07, 07:44 PM
hell yes Robilars gambit with an AC out to the moon with combat reflexes it is a MUST

okay i was looing around my books and i dont have the Oriental Adevntures with me so i googled the Iaijusu Master here

http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Iaijutsu_Master_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29

http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Iaijutsu_Master_-_Unoffical_Update_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29
the differences are slight could any of you tell me which 1 to go by?

Blackadam
2013-01-10, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure if it appliues but i remember in the samurai class or at least i inferred from their that katanas you were not able to enchant. is that true for any person who uses it or is that something class specific to the samurai and ronin?

Juntao112
2013-01-10, 05:25 PM
Just curious, but what is the attack bonus and damage per attack of this build?

Blackadam
2013-01-10, 05:44 PM
I'm still working on the character the concept is to have an AC that you cant hit and always hit you give me a few more hours and i'll let you know what i came up with on it

Juntao112
2013-01-10, 05:50 PM
I just thought I'd ask because being unhittable is not terribly useful if the enemy decides to ignore you and murder the other party members.

Blackadam
2013-01-10, 05:56 PM
the build revolvers around robilars gambit and combat reflexes each time your attacked you can whack them per each attack. the goal for this concept is really more to kite the npc while the rest of the party a time to set themselves up for whatever they have planned

Juntao112
2013-01-10, 05:58 PM
I just want you to be aware that a lot of small attacks is problematic if a) you cannot hit the target and b) you encounter DR.

Blackadam
2013-01-10, 05:58 PM
Does anyone remember what book Quick Reconnoiter and Deft Opportunist be in?

Juntao112
2013-01-10, 05:59 PM
Complete Adventurer.

While you're looking in that book, check out Goad (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/goad--1237/).

Blackadam
2013-01-10, 06:15 PM
thanks will do
so far this is how i broke myself down if i wasn't not going to do any gestalt classes
1 of the DM rules for my group is you have to bring with you your sources so i always note what book and page i got what from if i'm ever questioned

Possible Races

Monster Manual: Drow pg 104

Artaiad
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Artaiads_%283.5e_Race%29

( i really want to play this if i can find it in a book)
Half-Nymp
http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Half-Nymph_%283.5e_Race%29

( i know i saw this 1 in one of mt books i just cant recall right now)
Cat folk
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Catfolk_%283.5e_Race%29

Human Plain :/

Classes

Players Handbook: Fighter 2 lvls pg 39
Complete Warrior: Swashbuckler 3 lvls pg 12
Book of Nine Swords: Warblade 3 lvls pg 21
Dungeonscape: Factotum 3 lvls pg 15
Oriental Adventures: Iaijutsu Master 2 lvls pg 41
Dungeon Master Guide: Duelist pg 185

Base Attack Bonus

Duelist: +6
Iaijutsu Master: +6

Skills

Duelist:
Perform: 3 ranks
Tumble: 5 ranks

Iaijutsu Master:
Bluff: 4 ranks
Sense Motive: 4 ranks

Feats

Iaijutsu Master:

Players Handbook: Improved Initiative pg 96
Players Handbook: Quick Draw pg 98
Players Handbook: Weapon Focus Katana pg 102

Duelist:

Players Handbook: Dodge pg 93
Players Handbook: Mobility pg 98
Players Handbook Class Feature for Iaijutsu Master: Weapon Finesse pg 102

Feats Wanted

Complete Adventurer: Deft Opportunist
Complete Adventurer: Quick Reconnoiter
Players Handbook: Cleave pg 92
Players Handbook: Combat Reflexes pg 92
Players Handbook II: Robilars Gambit pg 82
Players Handbook II: Vexing Flanker pg 85

The states and skill points we have to roll and do in-front of the DM so i won be able to post the rest of the info on the character until we play this weekend :/

Blackadam
2013-01-10, 07:21 PM
Factotum is in Dungeonscape (p. 13).

Grey Elf can be a good choice if CON isn't a great concern, and if STR is not your only way of gaining damage (you have extra damage dice, or something); the +2 DEX, +2 INT can go a long way in the right hands, but the -2 CON can hurt a lot. At level 15, however, you can afford to have a race with a CON penalty moreso than at lower levels (just buy an item with + to CON).

What kind of gear you have, and how much, really depends on what wealth you are entering the game with. A 15th-level character enters play with 200,000gp, following the wealth-by-level guidelines (Dungeon Master's Guide, p.135), but if you were to add all the items you currently have up, you'd have 28,808gp spent; barely a tenth of it in all. So we have a long way to go there... Provided, of course, the DM allows it. Also of note: anything on the "Adding/Improving Common Item Effects" table (Magic Item Compendium, p. 234) can be added to an existing item, so you can have Lesser Bracers of Archery and Dexterity +2/4/6 without taking up an extra item slot.

Anyway.

If you want more of a feel akin to Saito Hajime, have you considered the Iaijutsu Master prestige class (Oriental Adventures, p. 41)? It has some abilities akin to a Duelist, but more Charisma based (CHA to initiative; stacks with the Factotum's INT to initiative, the Duelist's untyped bonus to initiative, regular DEX to initiative, and the Improved Initiative feat, for a truly obscene initiative bonus), and uses the Iaijutsu Focus skill (Oriental Adventures, p. 58), which is a very interesting way to control the flow of combat (basically, by being first, striking quickly for a lot of damage, and then just always being ahead). While it would be feat intensive, a Factotum 4/Swashbuckler 3/Iaijutsu Master 8 would give you the ability to strike twice as a standard action during an iaijutsu duel, or the first round of combat (or any time that you draw your weapon on a flat-footed enemy, like the surprise round), doing Iaijutsu Focus bonus damage twice (with your CHA modifier added to each dice added via Iaijutsu Focus). With three stats added to your initiative modifier, you will go first (unless all three of these stats are in terrible shape), which will allow you to start the combat charging in on your flat-footed enemy, striking first and decisively before they can even counter-act! Very much, in fact, like Saito Hajime did in Rorouni Kenshin.

I just got around to start working on the item list i could add on a ring +2 to all of my stats as long as i pay for each stat 20,000 right?

Lonely Tylenol
2013-01-10, 07:29 PM
I just got around to start working on the item list i could add on a ring +2 to all of my stats as long as i pay for each stat 20,000 right?

Actually, it would be 24,000gp, although whether this can actually be done is quite dubious (the individual items are assigned to specific magic item slots, and even when you use the rules from Magic Item Compendium, p. 234, which loosen these restrictions, they still don't offer all six attributes into a single item). Your best bet would be the Belt of Magnificence (Miniatures Handbook, p. 42), which is 25,000gp for +2 to all attributes.

EDIT: Also, for reference: those Iaijutsu Masters are not the official Iaijutsu Master. You might have to ask your DM and other players about Oriental Adventures.

Blackadam
2013-01-10, 07:32 PM
sweet thank you good sir i was looking at the Magic Item Compendium and there it has force as only available for projectiles i had thought you could also place it on melee weapons

Blackadam
2013-01-11, 05:01 PM
By chance are their any weapon enchantments that do damage to stats i was trying to find something that does dex damage but no luck :/

This is my equipment thus far
Miniatures Handbook: Belt of Magnificence +2 pg 42
Dungeon Masters Guide: Cloak of Resistance +2 pg 247
Dungeon Masters Guide: Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location pg 247
Dungeon Masters Guide: Ring Freedom Of Movement pg 231
Dungeon Masters Guide: Bracer's of Armor +2 pg 250
Dungeon Masters Guide/Magic Item Compendium: Katana +4 (Metalline, ghost touch) pg 222
Dungeon Masters Guide: Heward’s handy haversack pg 247
Dungeon Masters Guide: Amulet of Health +2 pg 247
Dungeon Masters Guide: Boots of Speed pg 250

i should still have 54,000gp left i been debating if i should up a few of the +2 to +4 and not sure if i'm missing anything i should have

I would also like to get undetectable alignment and mind blank but wasn't sure on the cost on them or if i can have my weapon made out of force instead of ghost touch

i know you can get wounding that does con damage i'm still on the look out for dex damage i can add to my weapon if i can afford it

Blackadam
2013-01-11, 07:40 PM
this is it i took max hp on the levels cuz well i'm awesome that way :P
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=496489

i had to cut out Iiatsu Master since i couldn't find a legit version of it

any recommendations or see something i goofed on??

checked on the gestalt home rules for this new campaign he cut that rule out

Hiro Protagonest
2013-01-11, 08:53 PM
side note this is why i love 3.5 and HATE 4ed............

The fact that in 3.5, it's so hard to make certain builds work that you have to resort to asking for help on a dedicated forum?

Turning the chargen minigame into picking out what flavors and toppings you want for your ice cream is why I LOVE 4e. Because, while I still have to splatbook dive and review every ability, it doesn't really matter power-wise which ones I pick in the end, it's mostly tactics, builds of other party members, and fluff.

Blackadam
2013-01-11, 11:10 PM
nope not hard at all just love the endless possibilities and their always something someone over looks someone else can point out for you

Like on the character i just finished instead of playing a drow with the level adjustments play it human add the feat cleave and you have an extra attack each time you drop something or Quick Reconnoiter and always walking around taking 10 on your spot and listen checks