PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ways to be immune to your own spells?

Unusual Muse
2013-01-07, 01:46 PM
Does anyone know of any ways a caster can be made immune to their own spells? Something along the lines of Spellguard Rings except that it affects the caster? I'm working on a gish build, and I'd like him to be able to wade into his own Solid Fog to wreak havoc.

Norin
2013-01-07, 01:51 PM
Expensive (relative to level) but -

BAM! http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ring_of_Freedom_of_Movement

There you go, wade around in your Solid Fog all you want.

WinWin
2013-01-07, 01:57 PM
Heart of Water grants Freedom of Movement.

Chosen of Mystra is the typical workaround for this kind of thing though.

ahenobarbi
2013-01-07, 01:57 PM
Does anyone know of any ways a caster can be made immune to their own spells? Something along the lines of Spellguard Rings except that it affects the caster? I'm working on a gish build, and I'd like him to be able to wade into his own Solid Fog to wreak havoc.

I think you could wear both rings and get the benefit :smallwink:
There was a feat that lets you cast a spell that will affect everyone except one creature I can't find it now :/

Unusual Muse
2013-01-07, 02:11 PM
I think you could wear both rings and get the benefit :smallwink:

Unfortunately, the description of Spellguard Rings specifically states the second ring must be worn by anyone other than the caster.

DoctorGlock
2013-01-07, 02:17 PM
Isn't this exactly what Extraordinary Spell Aim does? Makes a target exempt from your spell? I hear it is very good with antimagic field.

Unusual Muse
2013-01-07, 02:21 PM
Isn't this exactly what Extraordinary Spell Aim does? Makes a target exempt from your spell? I hear it is very good with antimagic field.

Kinda. It wouldn't really help the gish in this case, though, because he'd be stuck in one square and wouldn't be able to engage enemies affected by his spells.

ahenobarbi
2013-01-07, 02:22 PM

Yes, that's it (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/extraordinary-spell-aim--1057/)!

Remember to check with DM if it "shape the spell's area" or "one creature within the area is unaffected by the spell"... they are a bit different.

DoctorGlock
2013-01-07, 02:35 PM
Kinda. It wouldn't really help the gish in this case, though, because he'd be stuck in one square and wouldn't be able to engage enemies affected by his spells.

Yes, that's it (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/extraordinary-spell-aim--1057/)!

Remember to check with DM if it "shape the spell's area" or "one creature within the area is unaffected by the spell"... they are a bit different.

Basically what ahenobarbi said. The shaping the area is fluff, the unaffected is rules text, RAW it works, but DM fiat might kill it. Still worth getting for AMF later since you get to remain a gish and opponents turn into... well, nothing.