PDA

View Full Version : Narrative Ideas for a Player-Created Mimic?

th3f3z
2013-01-07, 02:36 PM
I'm in a Pathfinder game, playing my first Wizard since 1st ed - maybe 25 years ago. All of us have goals for our characters - a couple want to build their own military, one I think is trying to reclaim a birthright. I want a mimic.

Talked to my DM about it and he said fine, just take Leadership and we'll get you a mimic. I'm ~OK~ with that solution, but I want for the character is to actually rediscover the method that was used to create mimics by that Mad Wizard of Yore.

My thinking was something like taking Create Construct, maybe, if a Feat is even needed. I thought it might be akin to researching a spell with extra expense, and especially extra sidequests, piled on. This is a narrative thing for this character, not about combat efficacy - the other guys are going to have armies or castles or whatever, this wizard's going to be known (for better or worse) as the guy who rediscovered mimic creation. That said, taking a Feat isn't really a sticking point for me, but I'm hoping for something with a little more narrative meat and a few hoops through which to jump. I want him to earn it, not just with XP and a Feat slot.

I've been lurking here for a long time, and know how creative this community can be, so how about it? If you were running a game, what would you think would be the procedure to re-create one of the Mad Wizard created monsters?