PDA

View Full Version : Rambling nutter creating a maze... Oh DEAR

sambouchah
2013-01-07, 03:46 PM
So in our current campaign the DM has put us in a labyrinth where our characters begin to fade away any time we try to go somewhere we've already been.
In the group there is an elan fighter, an Orc barbarian, Aasimir ranger, a tiefling Artificer, a kobold rogue and me the dwarven cleric.

We recently found a man droning on in a language we don't fully understand yet. We understand that it involves us and the encounters we have had. Malachite(my cleric) has prayed asking for understanding but only got the reply "NO". The others had walked off somewhere else at this point and Malachite is shaken(from direct interaction with a deity so early on).

The man who we think is creating the maze looks human(most likely an outsider) and has two 5 foot chains instead of hands which bind him to the floor. He won't respond to what we say to him and we have punched him(we became incorporeal for a second) and have tried freeing him from his bindings but we can't. I would try dispell magic but I am too low level to cast it(we are all 2nd lv).

We can't leave because we can't find our way out, therefore we can't get scrolls or a wand. Any suggestions on what to do? I know the spells bane, cure light wounds, cause fear, nystul's magic aura, detect magic, guidance and light. (death and magic domains. Malachite is obsessed with bringing his wife back from the dead)

Thanks to all who reply, feel free to ask for more info.
,Sam

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 03:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, is this taking place in a published world?

The guy sounds like he might be a modified form of chain devil, maybe?
If you can reprepare spells, try some alignment detection spells on him, if he comes up as strong law and evil, the above is definately the best bet. If he comes up as no alignment whatsoever, suspect his alignment is shielded.

Also, when you say your characters "fade away," do they just become incoporeal, or will they die? Or do you not know? Personally, given your situation, I might just try letting my character fade away and encouraging my fellow players to do the same (both IC [before I did it] and OOC.) I usually dislike railroading, and hey, it might even be the solution to the puzzle!

sambouchah
2013-01-07, 04:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, is this taking place in a published world?

The guy sounds like he might be a modified form of chain devil, maybe?
If you can reprepare spells, try some alignment detection spells on him, if he comes up as strong law and evil, the above is definately the best bet. If he comes up as no alignment whatsoever, suspect his alignment is shielded.

Also, when you say your characters "fade away," do they just become incoporeal, or will they die? Or do you not know? Personally, given your situation, I might just try letting my character fade away and encouraging my fellow players to do the same (both IC [before I did it] and OOC.) I usually dislike railroading, and hey, it might even be the solution to the puzzle!

I don't use my magic domain so I may be able to change it to Law(I worship Wee Jass) but the other characters are wary of the darkness.(we don't know if we will die or not yet) I may just walk until I fade out all the way. i had three other characters rolled so if it does kill me I can at least join in later. Also it is not published material that I know of seeing as we only have the green races book from 3rd edition(I think). our DM said we could possibly be down there for 8 character levels depending on how we go about things. I'd like out now because it scares me, the tiefling and the orc who is a fearless warrior.

And if it is a chain devil how should I go about taking it down?

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 04:21 PM
I'm not familiar with the Green Races book.

As for how to take down a chain devil, well I'd guess that isn't an option in this case. Since you seem to go incoporeal whenever you try to strike it. Although, if you have offensive magic available, that might work. Still, I'd guess your DM wouldn't allow the prisioner to come to harm.

Also, on changing your domain: Don't. The magic domain is far, far better than the law domain.

Also, what are your and your party members' alignments?
Since you worship Wee Jas, I don't think you can technically prepare detect Law (it's a chaotic spell.) You could prepare detect evil, chaos, and good, though.

Does your party have a safe place to rest and renew spells and other resources?

sambouchah
2013-01-07, 04:32 PM
I'm not familiar with the Green Races book.

As for how to take down a chain devil, well I'd guess that isn't an option in this case. Since you seem to go incoporeal whenever you try to strike it. Although, if you have offensive magic available, that might work. Still, I'd guess your DM wouldn't allow the prisioner to come to harm.

Also, on changing your domain: Don't. The magic domain is far, far better than the law domain.

Also, what are your and your party members' alignments?
Since you worship Wee Jas, I don't think you can technically prepare detect Law (it's a chaotic spell.) You could prepare detect evil, chaos, and good, though.

Does your party have a safe place to rest and renew spells and other resources?

No not any offensive spells. Our artificer is a variant wizard and won't take offensive spells(cause he's a poop head) and our safe place was in a part that we can't return to. Now we have the room with the devil and a room that some zombies were in. and a couple small halls. I fear that if we leave too far off that we can't get back

Alignments are: NE(Malachite), LN(Elan), NG(ranger), NE(tiefling), CN(barbarian), true neutral for the kobold I think

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 06:35 PM
Hmm, with your alignment (also, I thought We Jas was LN, and as such accepted only LE, LN, and LG clerics? :smallconfused:) and your diety's, you by RAW can prepare neither detect Law nor Detect Evil, so you wont be able to determine if it is indeed a devil that way. You could still prepare detect chaos and good. If he dings on either, the chance that he's a devil is very, very low (though he could still be some kind of renegade devil or somthing.) Also, depending on the strength of the aura, you might be able to rule out him being either an outsider with that particular subtype, or a divine caster.

Other than that, what sorts of knowledge skills does your party bring to the table?

Also, if the only thing in the room is that chained up babbling guy, you might be able to use it as a saferoom, epspecially if you can find something to use as earplugs to help you sleep. (If you do this, have the guy(s) on watch not wear earplugs, and kick people awake as needed.)

sambouchah
2013-01-07, 06:53 PM
Hmm, with your alignment (also, I thought We Jas was LN, and as such accepted only LE, LN, and LG clerics? :smallconfused:) and your diety's, you by RAW can prepare neither detect Law nor Detect Evil, so you wont be able to determine if it is indeed a devil that way. You could still prepare detect chaos and good. If he dings on either, the chance that he's a devil is very, very low (though he could still be some kind of renegade devil or somthing.) Also, depending on the strength of the aura, you might be able to rule out him being either an outsider with that particular subtype, or a divine caster.

Other than that, what sorts of knowledge skills does your party bring to the table?

Also, if the only thing in the room is that chained up babbling guy, you might be able to use it as a saferoom, epspecially if you can find something to use as earplugs to help you sleep. (If you do this, have the guy(s) on watch not wear earplugs, and kick people awake as needed.)

Oh crap! You are correct she only accepts LN, LG, LE! NOOOOOOOOOO haha that's probably why she wouldn't help me. I talked to my DM and he said I can change deity or alignment whichever I please. I'll do LE.

I think the orc could produce enough earwax for all of us to plug our ears haha.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 07:10 PM
Oh crap! You are correct she only accepts LN, LG, LE! NOOOOOOOOOO haha that's probably why she wouldn't help me. I talked to my DM and he said I can change deity or alignment whichever I please. I'll do LE.

I think the orc could produce enough earwax for all of us to plug our ears haha.

In that case, your first step should probably be to try preparing comprehend languages (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/comprehendLanguages.htm) again. (I made it a link to the spell entry in the SRD incase that wasn't what you meant by "praying for understanding" earlier.)

Of course, if he's not simply speaking in (one or more) language(s) you dont understand, but actually babbling incoherently... well, then you're stuck with knowledge checks and detection spells. You alone should have access to detect magic, detect good, and detect chaos.

sambouchah
2013-01-07, 07:25 PM
In that case, your first step should probably be to try preparing comprehend languages (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/comprehendLanguages.htm) again. (I made it a link to the spell entry in the SRD incase that wasn't what you meant by "praying for understanding" earlier.)

Of course, if he's not simply speaking in (one or more) language(s) you dont understand, but actually babbling incoherently... well, then you're stuck with knowledge checks and detection spells. You alone should have access to detect magic, detect good, and detect chaos.

He is apparently using some spell to hide his own words and on top of that I don't know comprehend language yet:(

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 07:40 PM
He is apparently using some spell to hide his own words and on top of that I don't know comprehend language yet:(

You're a cleric, you know your entire spell list!
(well, up to the highest level spell you can cast)

But... Comprehend languages is a 1st level spell!

sambouchah
2013-01-08, 02:33 PM
You're a cleric, you know your entire spell list!
(well, up to the highest level spell you can cast)

But... Comprehend languages is a 1st level spell!

What?! I need to pay more attention to detail

Chilingsworth
2013-01-08, 02:53 PM
What?! I need to pay more attention to detail

I don't know I'd call that fact a "detail." But... yeah, paying alittle more attention might help.:smalltongue:

More usefully, here's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm) the SRD entry on clerics, maybe that would help? :smallbiggrin:

sambouchah
2013-01-08, 02:55 PM
I don't know I'd call that fact a "detail." But... yeah, paying alittle more attention might help.:smalltongue:

More usfully, here's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm) the SRD entry on clerics, maybe that would help? :smallbiggrin:

Thanks Chillingsworth!

Chilingsworth
2013-01-08, 03:16 PM
Thanks Chillingsworth!

No problem. It's basically identical to the PHB entry, but it has hypertext linking varrious relevant sections (also, it lacks information about the default Greyhawk dieties, since those are not OGL.)