PDA

View Full Version : It's Tough to Be A Healer

Palanan
2013-01-07, 04:26 PM
This is a DM-privileged thread, so my players should run away now.

So, the party healer has been handed a troublesome set of medical cases. Thanks to a recent fracas with lacedons, three of the PCs are now incubating ghoul fever, which should hit them the following day.

The healer knows this, and she's worried, because she's a nature-oriented cleric with only second-level divine spells, and thus no easy out. She has excellent Knowlege skills (especially Know. nature) and she's okay on Heal itself, but no real skill in herbalism.

Thus, two questions here:

1. Are there any other spells which could help her out here? The PCs will be resting aboard their ship, so the cleric has time to prepare whatever first- or second-level spells might be useful...if only she could think of something.

2. For reasons of plot and game schedule, this would be a good time to spend a session on finding a remedy. Any ideas on how I could spin the oncoming disease into a full afternoon's worth of feverish gaming?

Deophaun
2013-01-07, 04:32 PM
Suspend Disease. Level 1 spell, Book of Vile Darkness.

Edit: For 3.5, Delay Disease in the SC does the same thing. I knew there was an updated version...

Psyren
2013-01-07, 04:40 PM
PF or 3.5?

I'll assume 3.5 - Delay Disease is a first-level Cleric/Druid spell in SpC that you can use to buy them some time. Every time she casts it will give them another day before they have to worry about making saves, so if she keeps preparing it she can keep the disease at bay indefinitely, or at least until a more permanent solution/alchemical assistance/higher-level NPC can be found.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-07, 04:41 PM
Yea, Delay Disease (Spell Compendium pg 63) and Suspend Disease (Book of Vile Darkness pg 106, not an evil spell) should help.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 04:43 PM
Well, if I were playing this healer, I'd prepare all my 2nd level spells as lesser restorations. I'd also put my infected party members on complete bed rest, and use my heal skill to treat their diseases.

First of all, the disease only turns victims into ghouls if the die of it. This means reaching a con of 0 from a disease that has a DC 12 save and deals only 1d3 con and dex damage.

With the above actions, the party should have basically zero to fear from this disease (assuming they have enough time to heal.)

First, they actually have to fail dc 12 fort saves to actually take any ability damage at all. If the healer's heal check is to treat their disease is over 12, that fort save is effectively made. Even if it isn't, they still get their usual fort save at no penalty. Two successful saves (or daily heal checks) in a row will cure the disease.

Second, even if they are failing saves, complete bed rest alone will allow them to regain 2 points from each affected ability score per day. Since the maximum damage the disease can cause is 3 points (1d3) this should greatly increase the time it takes the disease to become lethal. Furthermore, with both complete bed rest and longterm care, this healing increases to 4 points per ability per day, which should mean the characters heal their damage comepletely every day. That would mean they would be garunteed to recover, it would just be a matter of waiting for them to get two dc 12 saves (or heal checks) done in a row.

Third, even if the cleric is failing some of her longterm care checks, that's what the lesser restoration spells are for, they should go a long way towards keeping everyone healthy.

So, as long as the party can avoid further trouble, they should be fine in a week at the very most. No epic quest required.

Palanan
2013-01-07, 04:58 PM
Okay, thanks for the input so far. Somehow I'd managed to overlook Delay Disease from the Spell Compendium.

Originally Posted by Chillingsworth
So, as long as the party can avoid further trouble, they should be fine in a week at the very most. No epic quest required.

Maybe not an epic quest, but I was hoping for a little quest, at least. I'm pressed for time, seriously burned out on game prep, and this looked like something I could follow up on.

After all, this is lacedon fever. What else can I do with that? My players are already nervous about this, and I want to make 'em sweat a little more.

:smallbiggrin:

some guy
2013-01-07, 05:06 PM
After all, this is lacedon fever. There's gotta be something I could do with that. My players are already nervous about this, and I want to make 'em sweat a little more.

Make the pc's sweat, literally. Change the fever of a lacedon into something that unless characters are submerged in water they lose 1d6 Con instead of 1d3 (because of massive sweating). That way Chillingsworth's post is still useful, but the players need to come up with an extra plan (make baths? create nets in which the players can rest?).

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 05:17 PM
Okay, thanks for the input so far. Somehow I'd managed to overlook Delay Disease from the Spell Compendium.

Maybe not an epic quest, but I was hoping for a little quest, at least. I'm pressed for time, a little burned out on game prep, and this looked like something I could follow up on.

After all, this is lacedon fever. There's gotta be something I could do with that. My players are already nervous about this, and I want to make 'em sweat a little more.

Acording to the SRD, a Lacedon is just a Ghoul with the aquatic subtype. It's fever would be no harder to resist or treat than a normal ghoul's. If you told your players the creatures were lacedons, and then had the disease be anything else, well... then you'd have lied to them. Such a thing is punishable by blunt trauma via PHB.:smalltongue:

Of course, if you haven't told them exactly what the creatures were, then you'd have the usual freedon to do something else.

Another way for you to get away with it is if your party's healer is incompetent. Any competent healer in the situation you describe, with the described resources, would attempt prettymuch exactly the course of action I outlined.

A third way for you to get away with it would be if there are more than six infectees, since that's the maximum number a single person can treat at a time. Even then, with complete bed rest alone they would be guarunteed to take a long time to sucumb to the disease, long enough that the healer could rotate which victims she was actively treating. Also, if there are others that could treat the sick (even someone with a decent wisdom modifier could do in a pinch, since heal isn't a trained skill) then the "overwhelm the healer" plan would become proportionally harder to pull off. Also, such assistants could aid another to reduce the chance of the healer failing her heal checks.

Bottom line: Ghoul (yes, even Lacedon) fever is too weak to pose a threat to a party unless incompetence, outside factors, or dm fiat is involved. And dm fiat, as mentioned above, could carry significant risk of PHB impacts in this case. :smallwink:

Palanan
2013-01-07, 05:21 PM
Heh. I hear you. The players are aware the creatures were ghouls, and from there it's an easy leap to lacedon.

That said, these things have been clinging beneath the keel of an abandoned galleon for the past month and more, leaving a slow wake of dead fish and corruption. It can't be sanitary down there.

:smalltongue:

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 05:23 PM
Make the pc's sweat, literally. Change the fever of a lacedon into something that unless characters are submerged in water they lose 1d6 Con instead of 1d3 (because of massive sweating). That way Chillingsworth's post is still useful, but the players need to come up with an extra plan (make baths? create nets in which the players can rest?).

Actually, that sounds like a nice twist. Still might be trouble if you told the players "Those things were lacedons, exactly as they are presented in the MM/SRD." Another option would be to make them elite lacedons (increasing their charisma increases the save dc, that's part of why ghasts have a ghoul fever with dc 15 rather than the ghoul's 12, the rest being increased HD.)
Of course, since the lacedons are already dead, it's probably too late to do that.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 05:30 PM
Heh. I hear you. The players are aware the creatures were ghouls, and from there it's an easy leap to lacedon.

That said, these things have been clinging beneath the keel of an abandoned galleon for the past month and more, leaving a slow wake of dead fish and corruption. It can't be sanitary down there.

:smalltongue:

Ok, so they'd also be at risk of filth fever, which would require them to recieve new injuries while down there (it's spread by injury) and is another dc 12 in any case. Actually, it's basically ghoul fever without the chance of turning someone into a ghoul. Now that I think of it, that's exactly what it is (or rather, ghoul fever is filth fever with the chance of turning someone into a ghoul.) So, with complete bedrest and long term care, the players would be healing 4 points of ability damage per ability per day, and be taking at most 2d3 points of dex and con damage, if they failed two dc 12 fort saves, and the healer failed two dc 12 heal checks. Well, I guess that would at least give them a chance of taking more ability damage than they can naturally heal in a day, as small as that chance might be. :smalltongue:

Palanan
2013-01-07, 05:32 PM
I'm thinking a secondary infection, something a little nastier than the ghoul fever itself--perhaps a marine creature which tried to feed on the lacedons, died from their corruption, and then was fed upon in turn.

There's plenty of precedent for this; I'm thinking of nudibranchs (http://www.seaslugforum.net/), some of which feed on coral polyps and somehow co-opt the corals' nematocysts, literally stealing the corals' fire. There's got to be something similar in game terms.

EDIT: You ninja'ed me there. :smallbiggrin:

In fact, two of the PCs were deep in the polluted water of the ship's hold, and they received some severe injuries after that, so all manner of corruption had a chance to enter their systems.

This is a good starting point, but I'd still like to develop this into something which the PCs will put a little effort into themselves, rather than just letting the healer take care of it for them.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 05:42 PM
I'm thinking a secondary infection, something a little nastier than the ghoul fever itself--perhaps a marine creature which tried to feed on the lacedons, died from their corruption, and then was fed upon in turn.

There's plenty of precedent for this; I'm thinking of nudibranchs (http://www.seaslugforum.net/), some of which feed on coral polyps and somehow co-opt the corals' nematocysts, literally stealing the corals' fire. There's got to be something similar in game terms.

EDIT: You ninja'ed me there. :smallbiggrin:

In fact, two of the PCs were deep in the polluted water of the hold, and they received some severe injuries after that, so all manner of corruption had a chance to enter their systems.

This is a good starting point, but I'd still like to develop this into something which the PCs will put a little effort into themselves, rather than just letting the healer take care of it for them.

Well, I'm not familiar with anything quite like you're describing. Stormwracked might have something, though. Also, BOVD has alot of really nasty diseases you might be able to use, though those would probably be too deadly.

Palanan
2013-01-07, 05:53 PM
Well, I suppose a better question would be how to develop this a little further, micro-quest-wise.

The PCs are on a ship in the open ocean, with no apothecaries in easy reach. Assuming filth fever, or something a little stronger, the ship's healer might be able to hold it at bay but not cure it completely--and the PCs should be motivated to have it cured completely.

So, any suggestions on where to go from here? I just need to fill a single gaming session with a side-plot to resolve their festering disease....

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 06:07 PM
Well, I suppose a better question would be how to develop this a little further, micro-quest-wise.

The PCs are on a ship in the open ocean, with no apothecaries in easy reach. Assuming filth fever, or something a little stronger, the ship's healer might be able to hold it at bay but not cure it completely--and the PCs should be motivated to have it cured completely.

So, any suggestions on where to go from here? I just need to fill a single gaming session with a side-plot to resolve their festering disease....

Hmm, the open ocean is a difficult place to quest for things, especially without the waterbreathing spell, or spells to make underwater movement easier.

Unless they can get to land in a reasonable amount of time, the only thing I can think of is something revolving around catching fish and other sea creatures with healing properties. Maybe they have to figure out how to catch a magical "sun fish?" Then turn it into a curative soup? Or, for a more substantive combat encounter, kill a whale of some kind, and produce a nutrative broth from some of its meat and blubber? I mean, they can't even look for much in the way of sea herbs (varrious types of seaweed) unless they can get fairly close to shore.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 06:38 PM
Also, before you introduce a new disease (epspecially a particularly nasty one) into your campaign, remember one of Gygax's maxims:

If the DM describes something, the PC's have a right to use it.
In other words, if you give them access to it (by infecting them) have a contingency plan incase they decide to anyalze it, figure out its method of transmission, and then weaponize it. :smalltongue:

Toy Killer
2013-01-07, 07:55 PM
First, Do no Harm
The party, on sail to [Location] has weathered a ghoul assault and come out on top, but infected. Three players are sick, and it's up to the Cleric of [name deity or ideal here] to save the day.

Author's Note
I don't know your players or what their specializations are, So I assume a party of four, fighter/wizard/rogue, please feel free to flub as necessary

The waves crash heavily on the side of the [Ship's Name], as morning breaks above the horizon. The sickened conditions of the party, only worsened by the sway of the old ship and the overpowering musky smell of tea kept in cargo bellow.

Ships are rarely used to only transport one type of good (For example, tea can't be kept on deck, as water will get on it and plausibly spoil it; however, heavy goods (Gold, tar, iron, etc) were rarely hung above, as it strains the rope and heavier things don't slide as much as lighter goods.), and this particular ship has the pleasure of a Lawful Good apothecary on board (Expert 2, human, skill focus: Herbalism), James Whittle. James is over seeing the transportation of the tea to [location] on route just past of [location].

Seeing the party's members and their aliments, he offers help. He tells them that Lentil, made into a fine Kitchari, and served with fish should give them the strength for a couple of days. However, to completely heal the fever, they're going to need Alsumbloom. Alsumbloom is a flower that grows only in the tile of abandoned holy shrines. James has no problem preparing the dish, much to cookie's (The ship's Cook is traditionally called 'Cookie') displeasure, and will gladly show drawings of Alsumbloom, but isn't quite comfortable seeking it out himself. He's had to get his hands dirty a few times in his past, but isn't looking to do so again any time soon.

The party has two issues at hand, in retrieving the Alsumbloom.

A) Getting off the ship to go to shore. If the ship doesn't stop for them, they won't be able to catch up. If the ship does wait for them, its going to be late, and being late means less gold for the proper delivery of the merchandise.

B) Finding an abandoned shrine. Perhaps there are rumors, legends of travelers past setting up shrines to gods in these shores before, but the land is riddles with spiders to make navigation back out to shore difficult.

The party consults with the captain, who gives the all clear, but the ships master completely disagrees. (Captains are in charge of the movement of the ship, where and when it docks, but Ship's master actually owns the ship itself, and wants to earn his money back for commissioning the ship.) A successful Diplomacy check (DC 10) will can earn the party time to go ashore, otherwise, they may have to commander the side boat for their task. The captain may help them along by dropping the anchor, holding out for as long as he can before the ship's master notices and orders it back up.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

On Strange Waters

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The ride to shore is troublesome, but manageable. On the shore line, the party should be mindful to bring the Side boat all the way onto shore, least it drift back out to sea.

The coast is full of deep thick vegetation. The sweet hot hum of wild growth sprawls in all directions. It's hard to tell, but further in the distance, moaning can be heard.

Spot check the party to see if they notice thick heavy webbing between two trees. If they don't, surprise round for two Bloodsilk Spiders (CR2, MMVI Pg. 24). The spiders have a stray zombie caught in their web further down. For this encounter, I recommend a off center slant for half the map (To so you can randomly call on players to make balance checks), with about 9 trees and 4-6 web 'walls' between them to make mobility an issue. Keep the spiders moving about (Perhaps treating the canopy as a 'ceiling' for the spider climb ability), with the zombie pulling helplessly against the web for most of the fight. Break him out when things start to get silly, complacent, or otherwise un-fun to change things up a bit and add a new dimension to the fight. For added flare, give him a useful magic item appropriate for the fighter.

the party treks on and finds the Shrine (Feel free to spice up more with other random encounters, particularly Pirate-y encounters). The Shrine is over grown with weeds and webs, with fist sized birds wrapped up warmly as minimal snacks for whatever devil spiders live inside...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Darkened Faith

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Survival check (DC 5), to see if they notice they weren't the first ones through here recently.

The shrine is over grown with with plants, despite the complete darkness that lies within. Torches are lined all along the walls, though many are missing. the serene quietness is unsettling. Even the birds and insects that chirped and cried out while fighting the blood spiders are dead silent in here...

Author's note:
I apologize for not having specific rooms and temple layout handy for this adventure, so I'm just going to give and number a bunch of rooms and let you fill as you please. Special note about this adventure and Fire. 99% of this shrine is covered in webs and dried leaves. When a torch is dropped, a fire spell cast or other means of ignition occur, you should definitely consider lighting the whole thing up, leaving every spider and plant monster scattering for shelter and treating the shrine as being a burning building (Which, seriously, only deals 1d6 points of fire damage... unless your crawling through the webs.) This Shrine is a home to a Tomb Spider (MMIV, Pg 164)

Room 1:
The room is circular with a stone statue of [deity] in the center, holding his/her weapon aloft to the dome above, the dome is completely encased in webbing and cobwebs to the point where the ceiling windows are practically opaque. shuffling slowly through the room is a Web Mummy, adorned with pirate-like attire, spiderlings casually crossing his skin.

(This is just to get the party used to understanding the difference between a zombie and a Web Mummy. Both are easily turned, but one hits a lot worse then his formerly alive friend. If the party is level 3, I would even recommend taking a good chunk of health out of them, justified by the fact that they were just turned not to long ago.)

Room 2:
The ticks and creeks of the temple grow as the party ventures on. In this room, there is a stairway down, but the chances are slim that the Alsumbloom would grow beneath the ground. If the party examines the walls of this room, they find an encased web victim in the corner and freeing him will make him more then willing to talk in hushed frantic whispers.

He's a privateer of the Mestaline Freemen, a deck hand who was brought along with a gaggle of 6 men to go retrieve some Alsumbloom from the shrine's floor. He panics frequently as he tells his tale, insisting that 'IT' is watching from the dark. Quiet, it doesn't talk, it doesn't listen to begging, it just takes with the ease of a hungry man to a loaf of bread. But It doesn't kill you. No, It'll wrap you down and it lays it's eggs in you. Then they wake up, and you don't control you any more, IT does.

This would be a great time to feature a little demonstration. The Tomb spider is quick, stealthy and can sneak up on the players while they try to get info from him. Torches aren't a great source of light, and make sure that's is well established. Again, describe battle damage on IT, as it's a CR 6, and it shows. It has a poison attack that doesn't do anything except make you healed by negative energy, but the players won't know that until they try to heal after failing the Poison.

IT won't stick around for long. It's had a rough day already and if It can't pull a character away after the first two rounds of combat, It will leave up against the walls and to the ceiling.

You may want to target the deckhand again, but if he survives, good on the party. He's a worried wreck, and constantly talking about 'IT', he claims to see it frequently (be careful not to overplay this. He should build tension, not comedic relief, you may want to give him a madness mantra instead "IT doesn't let you die, IT doesn't let you die, IT won't Let YOU DIE!").

Room 3:
At first this room seems relatively barren. The party goes through, until someone mentions the ceiling (Likely the deck hand). that's when someone gets to feel a warm drop on their head...

Looking up at the ceiling is the rest of the merry band of privateers (Sans two, one caught in the web early on in the adventure, and entering room Web Mummy). Gently swaying in the webbing, they are dripping a white goop from where It laid It's eggs inside of them. He warns the party that the men will start walking soon, it's what happened to Yoseph!

If the party starts to Burninate the boys in the ceiling, the baby spiders come out (treat as a spider swarm from MMI, pg 239. You don't want the party sitting around for 10 minutes waiting for healing for too often, and the standard spider swarm is a fair bit softer for the party to handle.). If not, Just describe the twitching and jerking as the boys start to come to, and they party will likely take affirmative action. Give them a number of rounds to deal with each corpse before they start waking up. You probably can get away with dropping a solid two hit die from each so the cleric can turn them, and the party can DPS any of the others down.

Room 4:

The party can see light on the other side of the room, and this room seems to have a thin layer of water on the bottom layer of the room. A welcome security indeed! (Maybe make it holy? With a cleansing properties of some sort? depending on the needs of the party?)

But IT isn't happy... It's children were just killed... but IT is patient...

And It can wait until the party comes back to get the drop on them.

Room 5:

This room is relatively untouched by the spiders, but it is over grown with plants and a big open hole in the center of the ceiling lets glorious light shine through, onto a single open flower of Alsumbloom. The air is crisp and fresh. Let the cleric enjoy this moment, because she is likely to be empty on turn undead attempts. (In fact, If they are level 3 or lower, screw it and give her a 'refresh' for picking the Alsumbloom on her turn attempts and consider them 'Empowered' while they are in the temple... Because they still have to go back through to get out...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to Basics?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The party survives (Hopefully! :smalltongue:) And they have Alsumbloom in their hand. they trek on their way back (Random encounters as necessary) And then they find their side boat being picked through by Pirates!

The pirates are willing to parley, especially when they see the Alsumbloom in their hand. They ask the party why they need it so bad, and when explained, their leader says "Ghoul fever? Ha ha... No... Ye wouldn't want to use Alsumbloom fer no Ghoul fever..."

From there, take it wherever you like. Maybe the apothecary was out-casted by the Mestaline Freemen, and He's trying to get back at his old boss. Maybe the James works for rival pirates and they knew they could swindle some adventures to going in and getting it for them. Maybe the privateers are working on behalf of a powerful lich, and it's an essential spell component and the apothecary is doing his best to keep it out of rival hands.

Or maybe just the reverse in any of those situations. Maybe the party was actually poisoned when James cooked for them, and he was going to use the Alsumbloom to cure them of that. Maybe James is a cultist worshiping the tomb spider for his abilities to make ailments cures and vice verse.

So Many OPTIONS!

Palanan
2013-01-07, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Toy Killer
*2100-word custom-designed mini-module*

Whew. That's...impressive, indeed. Thanks for taking the time and effort to work up something which so closely tracks the needs of party and storyline. I really like the idea of the herb growing among the tiles of abandoned shrines.

The party's situation is different in a number of respects, but in fact I'd been thinking about visiting a small island, and this gives me some good ideas to work with. Which in turn are sparking some other ideas....

Thanks again for working that up. (And it really is 2100 words!)

Originally Posted by Chillingworth
Also, before you introduce a new disease...have a contingency plan in case they decide to anyalze it, figure out its method of transmission, and then weaponize it.

Heh. Thanks for the heads-up, and also for the detailed consideration of disease mechanics a few posts earlier.

I'm not too worried about the PCs weaponizing the disease, since the characters aren't exactly research-oriented (mainly martial, in fact)--and perhaps more importantly, the ship has nothing remotely resembling any research facilities. (I know, famous last words....)

Toy Killer
2013-01-07, 08:55 PM
No Problem, I love designing encounters. Unfortunately that means I never get to sit back and play.

But I've had to come up with more on the fly in less time before... and you never know, maybe the party will seem like its going left when suddenly one person veers right and the party stumbles all over the place until, boom, you're in Timbuktu and everything you've prepared for is Arctic encounters...

*sigh* but that's more of an issue when people have access to spells like Teleport and such.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 09:00 PM
That is an awesome mini-mod, Toy Killer.

As for my part, you're more than welcome.

TheifofZ
2013-01-07, 11:38 PM
Well. There goes my plan of suggesting almost exactly the same thing as Toy Killer, just without the whole mini-module.
As a DM, I love abusing the party with vicious diseases. Even high level parties can suffer from these, and if timed right (say, the middle of a dungeon crawl) with no chance for proper care, something like filth fever can actually become quite dangerous, so I've had occasion to whip up a side quest or two to give the party something to do to save the Cleric/Dragonfire Adept/Rogue/Wizard.

I'll admit, though, that I'm alittle jealous of Toy killer since I'm not quite so good at coming up with detailed and appropriately balanced quests/adventures/dungeons.

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-08, 07:29 PM
If my DM likes vicious diseases, I'd invest in wands of Panacea, Remove Disease, Lesser Restoration, etc.

Toy Killer
2013-01-08, 10:28 PM
I'll admit, though, that I'm alittle jealous of Toy killer since I'm not quite so good at coming up with detailed and appropriately balanced quests/adventures/dungeons.

Ah, don't be.

After a few years of experience as being a DM, you get a feel for off the cuff side dungeons. Honestly, if the OP had put up what classes were in the group it would have been easier, and if the OP put more in terms with what was going on campaign wise, it would have been harder.

I'm not sure if it is properly balanced, and I would've wanted the party to run away if possible. I would want the Tomb Spider to be as scary as could be, forcing any dwarves within the party to make dark vision checks regularly, Let it scare the party back out of the shrine. I mean, for level 3-4, and CR6 monster was probably a bit much for them, even if it was still licking it's wounds.

Palanan
2013-01-09, 10:26 AM
Okay, I have one more question for you guys. I'm developing ideas from TK's mini-module, and one thing I'd like to add is an encounter right when the party first reaches the island.

Ideally I'd like a shoreline scavenger, or something amphibious that can be lurking beyond the breakers and then come up at the party once they're "safely" on land. Or, something that haunts the rough terrain just above the beach, which waits for the ocean to cast its food ashore. Any ideas?

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-09, 10:39 AM
Sea Elf!

...what?

Toy Killer
2013-01-09, 11:27 AM
I'd personally Re-fluff a Ankheg (MM, can't remember the page of hand) as being something more akin to an angler fish.

Be sure to describe a big stir in the water as they go ashore. Pull the boat up on land, describe something water damageable (like the rope on the boat) still dragging in the water, and caught on something. as they tug the line and get closer to the water, it springs up and attacks.

ImaginaryDragon
2013-01-10, 01:05 PM
You should definitely have them meet some sea elves. Or Darfellan!