PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 OR PF] Creatures that eat magic?

Edge of Dreams
2013-01-07, 05:30 PM
Can anyone point me to D&D or Pathfinder monsters, creatures, or races that eat magic or would want to hang out in an area with lots of lingering magical auras? I'm designing a dungeon that has been home to multiple different magical cults and religions over the centuries, so there's lots of lingering magic in the air. Any CR is fine - I'm looking for inspiration so I can port the monster over to Runequest, the system I'm actually GMing.

silverwolfer
2013-01-07, 05:45 PM
just use a rust monster that has been messed around with by wizards and eats magic instead? If its antennae touch a spell or someone with a spell, then it does a dispel magic check? If it succeeds it emits a 15 ft anti magic fields rounds per spell level

It is immune to spells that are cast infront of it, or AOE spells cast on it or in front of it also. i.e. antennae eat the area in front of it making the magic blast go around it instead of on it.

It chases whatever creature emits a stronger magic aura, so if the wizard has more buffs then the fighter then it chases after it, if the fighter has magic armor but the wizard has nothing then it chases the fighter.

For magic to affect it you must aim spells from behind it, and if it touches a magic item it is suppressed for 2d8 rounds

If you are in the anti magic filed it creates from touchign your item for 2 rounds, the item is suppressed for an hour, if for three rounds a day, if for four rounds, a week, if for five rounds it becomes nothing more then a masterwork item.

Psyren
2013-01-07, 05:48 PM
The Disenchanter from Fiend Folio 62 does this. I believe there's a PF version.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-01-07, 05:50 PM
There is a monster in one of the Drow books that eat magic, can't recall the name; but I am sure it is there.

silverwolfer
2013-01-07, 05:52 PM
I think I just made a really supped up version of a rust monster lol

Fable Wright
2013-01-07, 05:54 PM
Spelleater from Dragon Magic is one.

Palanan
2013-01-07, 05:55 PM
Essence reaver, which I believe is in Secrets of Sarlona. I've used this to lovely effect with a party of spellcasters.

The essence reaver absorbs prepared spell energy and uses it against whomever it likes. That was one of my favorite sessions from my previous campaign. There was real tension around the gaming table.

:smallbiggrin:

sambouchah
2013-01-07, 05:56 PM
Will-o-Wisps feed on emotion but you could pretty easily make them a form that has accumulated from past auras

Hope I could help

Waker
2013-01-07, 06:01 PM
Balhannoth from MMIV is what you want. It's a large, subterranean aberration that eats magic.

doko239
2013-01-07, 06:19 PM
Not a monster, but the Eater of Magic rage power from PF's Ultimate Combat might fit the bill if you want something with class levels.

Fyermind
2013-01-07, 07:32 PM
There is a variant hobgoblin in MMV called a SpellScourge that absorbs spells for buffs

The Viscount
2013-01-09, 09:14 PM
Mageripper Swarm from MMIV will also work.

Erik Vale
2013-01-09, 09:39 PM
*Joke Answer*
Warlock with devour magic.

Edge of Dreams
2013-01-09, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I actually ended up going with dweomercats (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/dweomercat) from Pathfinder. The players discovered some dweomercat kittens, mommy and daddy came back and tried to kill the players. Now, all the cats are tied up, and the players are trying to tame the kittens as pets and put the adults in a zoo. We'll see how that goes next session.

The Viscount
2013-01-09, 10:52 PM
Why were we able to come up with so many answers?

Kane0
2013-01-09, 11:28 PM
Spelleater from Dragon Magic is one.

That thing scared me pretty bad first time i fought one.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-01-09, 11:40 PM
Arcane Ooze, MM3.

Living Spells from the same book would be quite fitting. If the CR 9 Arcane Ooze is suitable as a boss encounter, make it cannibalize the Living Spells since it's immune to their spell effects, and its presence somehow maintains the magical instability in the area which spawns the Living Spells on which it feeds.