PDA

View Full Version : [PF-Skulls & Shackles] Advices for a Battle cleric

VeggieWombat
2013-01-07, 08:20 PM
Hi guys !

We (2WF Ranger, Rogue, Witch, Archery ranger, me as a 2HF Oracle) started the Skulls & Shackles campaign, and are winning the crew to our ideas, which may looks like we're preparing a mutiny, but we totally aren't my beloved Captain' !

Anyway, I'm a battle Oracle, Falchion & full plate intented. Yep, full plate on a ship, because Gorum won't admit any less. So I may have some troubles doing all these Swim checks without magical help.

Questions :
- Is there items in the PF books that would help with this ? I saw the Pearl of the Sirines, but 15k+ for water breathing, 60 feet swim speed and underwater casting isn't cheap. The Cloak of the manta Ray is only 7k2, +3 NA, 60' swim and water breathing.

- Spells ! I think I saw a pretty nice lvl 1 spell suited for aquatic setting, can't find it, don't remember what it does... Also : Water breathing or Water walk ? Or wait lvl 4 for Freedom of Movement ?

- Mundane ways : Swim fins, underwater diving stuff ? Flotation devices ? : p

- Edit : How should I prioritize this "aquatic stuff" versus the big 6 ?

Crustypeanut
2013-01-08, 07:21 AM
Touch of the Sea, 1st level spell that gives you a swim speed for 1 minute/level.

Air Bubble, 1st level spell that gives you a bubble of air around your head that allows breathing for 1 minute/level. Also works for gunpowder weapons underwater.

I'd say go with the latter and simply become a living anchor. Theres also a type of Full Plate that allows un-hindered swimming as well as waterbreathing.. ah here it is, Plate Armor of the Deep. Its relatively affordable at 24,000 gp, is a +1 Fullplate that does not add its Armor Check Penalty to swim checks, grants waterbreathing, and allows you to speak with any aquatic creature with a language.

At level 2, though, I'd go with the spells, as you're not going to have much money at that level.

I saw the Pearl of the Sirines, but 15k+ for water breathing, 60 feet swim speed and underwater casting isn't cheap.

That is actually an extremely good item for the cost.. go for it! I can't think of anything that would be cheap enough for a level 2 anyways.

Khantin
2013-01-08, 11:08 AM
Go with touch of the sea imo. Air bubble is great until you realize that after a couple minutes of sinking towards the bottom of the sea you are in a really terrible situation.

Crustypeanut
2013-01-08, 11:11 AM
Thats true, although the Shackles are known to be relatively shallow.. but still, you're right. But if you can, go for both.