PDA

View Full Version : Sentient Golems

Kane0
2013-01-07, 10:42 PM
Sorting through some of my old NPC ideas the other day, I came across an intelligent construct that I named 'Prodigy'. He is a normal Stone Golem except for the fact that the elemental spirit used to power it (an earth elemental) has not been forced or coerced, he voluntarily entered the process.

Because the elemental is voluntarily there the creator of the golem (a mid to high level Wizard) could spend the time and effort that he would otherwise spend forcing the elemental into the golem instead working on the fusion process and golem's 'programming' to allow the elemental to preserve the majority of its mental capacity in its new form. The result was a golem of surprising intelligence and adaptability whist keeping most of the normal golem obedience.

Prodigy has since outlived his creator but unlike most golems has not been forgotten in its home or been stuck performing his last given task until destroyed, instead seeking out new masters for direction and scratching out an existence of his own. He would have been found performing manual labor or other simple tasks for others in some city the PCs visited.

So, this thread's purpose is twofold.
-First, is this idea believable/possible/has been done in D&D canon somewhere?
-Second, what are other methods of making golems sentient are out there? Canon, Homebrew and "A wizard did it" all valid. :smallwink:

vasharanpaladin
2013-01-07, 10:43 PM
Eberron. Warforged. That is all. :smallwink:

mattie_p
2013-01-07, 10:48 PM
Level 9 spell, awaken construct, from spell compendium. XP Cost 5000 :smallfrown:

Chilingsworth
2013-01-07, 10:50 PM
Also, Neverwinter Nights, Hordes of the Underdark, Isle of the Maker.

Doesn't explain how the Maker made his golems sentient, but it provides an example of a society of such constructs (in transition, no less!)

Fortuna
2013-01-07, 10:50 PM
There's the Incarnate Construct template from Magic of Incarnum.

Flickerdart
2013-01-07, 10:51 PM
Rudimentary Intelligence feat grants constructs you create a bit of INT.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-08, 12:05 AM
Level 9 spell, awaken construct, from spell compendium. XP Cost 5000 :smallfrown:

An awakened construct is well worth it, though. I have an epic level wizard npc in my world who has awakened and tutored a number of constructs throughout his career, and they remain extremely useful allies, having each pursued careers and lives of their own.

Essentially, an awakened construct is like a sentient undead creature, minus connection to negative energy/weakness to positive energy. It's also a massive power boost to the creature; an iron golem is impressive, but if it can learn feats and skills of it's own, acquire knowledge of tactics, and make similar judgements that lie outside the parameters of the standard iron golem's program, then it's an entirely different creature.

Kane0
2013-01-08, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the input guys.
Can't believe I forgot the Warforged and Isle of the Maker. Also reminds me of Inevitables.

Awaken Construct seems like a cop out though, kinds of feels like a waste of RP potential. That said, maybe some research can be put into the process and the result is the spell...

Darrin
2013-01-08, 12:41 AM
Golems with Int scores:

Stained Glass (MM2)
Brass (MM2)
Dragonflesh (MM2)
Force (MM5)
Brain (FF)
Demonflesh (FF)
Hellfire (FF)
Ruby (Monsters of Faerun)
Emerald (Monsters of Faerun)
Diamond (Monsters of Faerun)

Flickerdart
2013-01-08, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the input guys.
Can't believe I forgot the Warforged and Isle of the Maker. Also reminds me of Inevitables.

Awaken Construct seems like a cop out though, kinds of feels like a waste of RP potential. That said, maybe some research can be put into the process and the result is the spell...
Why is it a waste? A 9th level spell represents a massive amount of magical power, and you can play that up as much as you want.

Zomg Zombies
2013-10-03, 11:13 PM
Don't see how Awaken Construct deters RPing at all: first off, the material component is a fresh humanoid brain, less than 8 hours stale. That right there speaks of moral/roleplaying gold, especially when you consider is the intelligence and personality from the past owner of said brain? Also keep in mind the spell takes 8 hours to cast, so while the golem maker is casting the spell, a friend/ally/employee/minion has to go out and 'harvest' the component. Que hilarious antics ala Young Frankenstein:

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [to Igor] Now that brain that you gave me. Was it Hans Delbruck's?
Igor: [pause, then] No.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Ah! Very good. Would you mind telling me whose brain I DID put in?
Igor: Then you won't be angry?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: I will NOT be angry.
Igor: Abby someone.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby someone. Abby who?
Igor: Abby... Normal.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby Normal?
Igor: I'm almost sure that was the name.

Erik Vale
2013-10-03, 11:35 PM
You want a sentient golem, with the fluff grounding being based off the elemental being willing, and your the DM, and your open to homebrew?

Copy paste the type of golems entry for the most part, edit bits about it's intelligence and in the construction section put in a special requirement about needing a willing elemental, attach the story about that golem as a example and make a note of the creator discovering this phenomena by accident.

Done.

Xaragos
2013-10-04, 08:10 AM
Don't see how Awaken Construct deters RPing at all: first off, the material component is a fresh humanoid brain, less than 8 hours stale. That right there speaks of moral/roleplaying gold, especially when you consider is the intelligence and personality from the past owner of said brain? Also keep in mind the spell takes 8 hours to cast, so while the golem maker is casting the spell, a friend/ally/employee/minion has to go out and 'harvest' the component. Que hilarious antics ala Young Frankenstein:

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [to Igor] Now that brain that you gave me. Was it Hans Delbruck's?
Igor: [pause, then] No.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Ah! Very good. Would you mind telling me whose brain I DID put in?
Igor: Then you won't be angry?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: I will NOT be angry.
Igor: Abby someone.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby someone. Abby who?
Igor: Abby... Normal.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [pause, then] Abby Normal?
Igor: I'm almost sure that was the name.

That movie is great...this post made me laugh out loud. Along the lines of the OP, what about using some of the principles of the half golem template? Also, do you really agree that a half golem has to be evil once it is created? I always found that odd.