PDA

View Full Version : Mythic Playtest: The Wrath of Nature (IC)

HandofCrom
2013-01-08, 12:11 AM
The small, woodland village of Glencross sits at the intersection of two forest paths crossing through the mighty Fangwood. It is in northern Nirmathas, close to the border with Lastwall, and far removed from the bitter war with Molthune. It has been growing in recent years, thanks to growing trade with Lastwall and a stream of refugees fleeing the wars in the south. In the clearing, there are about thirty wooden buildings in good repair, built using the bounty of the forest around them. The day is pleasant, with a warm spring sun overhead, and it looks like the townsfolk are making the best of it, putting up decorative wreathes and garlands in preparation for some sort of festival.

redsnake
2013-01-08, 04:03 AM
On his way to Tamran, Galvin Nail was glad he'd chosen to pass through Glencross. With spring in the air he had to admit that he wanted to relax a bit and have some fun as well. Maybe he could also do a little alchemy here and there to refill his dangerously empty coin purse. Straitening his faded Andoran blue coat, Galvin sauntered into town, greeting every passerby along the way.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-08, 01:05 PM
Quexlo rests and watched from the alleyways. He peeks out of a shadow, and spooks a woman walking by.

ARE YOU READY FOR YOUR DESTINY!

The woman runs off from the crazy man.

WE ALL ARE DESTINED! WE ARE ALL DESTINIEEAAAAAAD

With that he darts through the alleyways, looking for the woman he needs to replace for the event.

Drothmal
2013-01-08, 04:21 PM
Having never been in Glencross before, Astias tries to inquire around town about the festival, not-so secretly hoping that it will involve strange customs, beautiful women and lots of alcohol.

Take 10 on diplomacy for gather information (total 17) to learn more about the festival

Starbuck_II
2013-01-09, 10:00 PM
Artie walks around the town, he needs to refill his waterskin and foodstock so he goes by the local tavern for information. Once he finds it, he asks what the celebration is for?

HandofCrom
2013-01-12, 04:02 PM
Anyone who asks around quickly finds this festival is dedicated to the patron deity of the village, Erastil, the god of farming, hunting, trade, and family. The yearly festival is the holiest day celebrated here, and this year is especially exciting, for it is also the groundbreaking day of their first church dedicated to Old Deadeye.

redsnake
2013-01-14, 05:38 AM
Galvin's sauntering takes him around the soon to be opened church. He takes some time to admire it's simple beauty. Though he doesn't have an eye for quality craftsmanship, or lack thereof, he's happy the citizens have something to celebrate.

As he finished looking around, his journey brought him to the tavern. At the bar he relinquished some of his precious coin for a simple ale while looking over the other patrons.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-14, 04:34 PM
He darts to the address he saw in his vision. Sure enough she is there.

Too soon. He must wait until the time comes.

Drothmal
2013-01-14, 04:56 PM
Astias also wanders around town, admiring the new temple (though only from a perspective that knows Calistria rarely wants to be tied to a single place of worship) and eventually making his way to the same bar Galvin is at, enjoying the atmosphere in the town.

doko239
2013-01-14, 08:01 PM
Yosei, having completed his meditation for the day, will walk about the town, quietly enjoying the festivities. He may draw some strange or concerned looks, as Kurobuchi is never out of his grasp.

redsnake
2013-01-15, 07:24 AM
Noting the newcomer and his traveling gear, Galvin tipped his mug towards Astias in greeting.

"Hello there friend. In town for the festival as well?"

Drothmal
2013-01-15, 11:17 PM
Noting the newcomer and his traveling gear, Galvin tipped his mug towards Astias in greeting.

"Hello there friend. In town for the festival as well?"

Not really: Though I respect Erastil, I find his view on community and duty rather onerous. A man has to be a man first and only then part of a community, for who is going to live our lives if not ourselves. the man punctuates the statement by finishing his half filled mug in one gulp. Sorry, I should have said "I'm just a traveler and ended up here by coincidence", but got carried away. How about you? Are you here for the festival?

redsnake
2013-01-16, 02:53 AM
Gavlin laughed and continued to drink his ale slowly before answering.

"I am here for the festival, but mostly because it's a festival. I was on my way to Tamran when I noticed the preparations. Still lots of places in the world to see before I drop dead. Judging from what you said though, seems like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder against Erastil. Care to talk about it?"

Drothmal
2013-01-16, 09:36 PM
Gavlin laughed and continued to drink his ale slowly before answering.

"I am here for the festival, but mostly because it's a festival. I was on my way to Tamran when I noticed the preparations. Still lots of places in the world to see before I drop dead. Judging from what you said though, seems like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder against Erastil. Care to talk about it?"

Like I said, nothing against Old Deadeye. I am a follower of Calistria, the Savored Sting, who favors freedom and teaches us to find pleasure wherever we can find it, that's all. For what you said, you also seem to have more in common with the Lady in the room than the Horned God replies Astias as he calls for another drink for himself, and one for his newfound friend

Starbuck_II
2013-01-16, 10:44 PM
Seeing the two talking in good meriment, Artie walks over, " I've never met a follower of Calistria... have you followed her a long time?" as he takes his drink to a nearby stool.
He didn't want to drink alone at the tavern.

redsnake
2013-01-17, 08:45 AM
"I've never trucked much with the gods," Galvin answered truthfully, "Whether I'm favored or not by one deity or another doesn't bother me. I just try to get by. But at the same time, if my home needed me, I'd be there for it."

Then the newcomer joined them, which Galvin didn't object to at all. The more the merrier. He remained silent as the... dwarf he supposed, asked what he would have.

HandofCrom
2013-01-20, 04:54 PM
There is a bustle outside and some excited calls. People who are in the tavern start filing out and joining the crowd gathering around the build site for the temple. The citizens working on its construction have prepared the foundation and are resting, while the elders have gathered to formally begin the festivities. There is short speech, thanking Erastil for blessing their community and welcoming travelers and new citizens.

The crowd parts for a group of weary woodcutters and their team of mules, dragging a massive oak tree before the temple site. The townsfolk start cheering, and one elder steps forward and says, "Praise be for for this bounty! Let this timber be the heart of our new temple, so we may pay homage to Erastil!" As soon as the words leave his lips, a bolt of lightning flies from the clear skies and strikes the tree as dark clouds come pouring from the woods to cover the town. Cries start raising up from the crowd, as wild beasts are charging into the town and attacking the citizens.

As townsfolk start scattering or taking up arms, your band of travelers, together by circumstance, sees a group of beasts coming directly at you. A trio of timber wolves and a black panther are led by a massive grey wolf, which looks to you and then pounces with impossible speed.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-21, 04:24 AM
The time is right!

Quexlo runs onto the street and enters fighting position. Dark threads of velvet start to form in his hands.

Starbuck_II
2013-01-22, 12:03 PM
I will stop you. Surrender, beasts.

Artie says before changing his stance then charges the nearest animal and hurls his palm into its side. Mystical energy flows through him into the beast and then back into Artie. After striking he puts his wrist up and motions for the enemy to come to him.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-22, 12:32 PM
"Wait....You can hear the sound bubbles of the beasts? I thought Only I must speak with the uninformed"

Quexlo asks Artie.

Starbuck_II
2013-01-22, 02:18 PM
I do not understand your ways, wise one. I am just hoping they will understand me regardless.

Artie says worrying about who this figure is that speaks in such different ways.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-22, 02:23 PM
"Stop the Devilspeak! BEEEIginWIth......The Destructioms!"

Drothmal
2013-01-22, 05:44 PM
Seeing the chaos around him, Astias quickly retrieves from the inner folds of his overcoat two long and slender whips, each of them ending in a vicious sting.

Realizing that those around him seemed rather competent for combat (albeit not completely there in terms of sanity), the inquisitor calls to his newfound allies

Concentrate on one at a time! I will try to immobilize the others!

With that, the follower of Calistria sweeps one of his whips in the direction of the incoming enemies, aiming the coils of his weapon at the beast's feet

Actions
Move: Move around the battlefield as to be in front of squishy casters but behind frontliners
Standard: Readied action: Trip attempt at first enemy that comes within range (15 ft)

Take best of 2
[roll0]
[roll1]

redsnake
2013-01-24, 05:01 AM
"I wouldn't exactly say wise..." Gavlin mutters at Artie's appraisal of the rambling man.. As he does, he preps a bomb and throws it into the biggest concentration of the beasts, targeting the one closest to the center of their cluster.

doko239
2013-01-24, 05:20 AM
Yosei, on hearing a commotion towards the center of town, hurries down to find the battle already underway. With a fluid motion, he draws Kurobuchi from its scabbard, as the other hand glows faintly blue, summoning his magical defenses.

"Focus your efforts on the large wolf in front! It seems to be leading this group somehow; if we take it down, the rest may flee!"

HandofCrom
2013-01-27, 04:56 PM
The huge wolf leaps at Artie and tries to disembowel him while bowling him over with its momentum.

Bite attack: [roll0]
Bite Damage: [roll1]
Trip attempt (if bite hits): [roll2]

Drothmal
2013-01-27, 07:16 PM
Astias watches as the dwarven warrior dodges the wolf's attack. Sensing an opportunity, the inquisitor brings both of his whips to deadly use on the distracted beast, aiming at its legs and pulling it down so the other can quickly bring it down.

Actions
5ft step to be within range if necessary
Full round: Two weapon fighting

Right hand:
Trip (take best of 2)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Left hand:
If right hand trips successfully, use dirty trick maneuver to blind for one round: [roll2]

If right hand does not trip successfully, second trip attempt (take best of 2)
[roll3]
[roll4]

HandofCrom
2013-01-27, 08:29 PM
Astias snags the legs of the large wolf and sends it to the ground, and lashes it with his other whip.

The panther starts bounding forward, but is not able to keep up with the large wolf and does not close in.

doko239
2013-01-27, 09:51 PM
With a snap of his fingers, a plain wooden wand suddenly appears in Yosei's empty left hand. An instant later, amid a blur of movement, Yosei is suddenly standing behind the large wolf, as two large gashes appear on its sides.

Free action: retrieve Wand of Bladed Dash from Glove of Storing.
Full round action: Spell Combat (Bladed Dash and basic attack).

Bladed Dash moves Yosei into flanking position behind the wolf. Movement from Bladed Dash does not provoke an AOO.

Attack 1 (Bladed Dash): [roll0] for [roll1] damage.

Attack 2 (Basic Attack): [roll2] for [roll3] damage.

HandofCrom
2013-01-27, 10:14 PM
Both hit. The beasty is hurt.

redsnake
2013-01-29, 07:34 PM
Trying to rectify a threat beforehand, Gavlin lobs his bomb at the advancing panther.

Attack using far shot from splash weapon mastery [roll0]

Damage[roll1]

Reflex DC 18 for half
8 fire splash damage

Using his move action, he'll get closer to the others, but will definitely try to keep them between him and the animals.

HandofCrom
2013-01-30, 12:32 AM
The panther is heavily burned, and buckles, nearly collapsing, stopped in its tracks.

The lead normal wolf charges Yosei from behind as he deals with the big wolf.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Trip attempt (if hit): [roll2]

The large wolf tries to tear at Yosei from the ground before leaping back to its feet.

Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]
Trip attempt (if hit): [roll5]

The other two wolves charge at Astias and Quexlo.

Astias's wolf

Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
Trip attempt (if hit): [roll8]

Quexlo's wolf

Attack: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10]
Trip attempt (if hit): [roll11]

Starbuck_II
2013-01-30, 11:27 AM
Artie strikes with the flat of his palm at the wolf as it tries to get up (AoO):
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Steal Health 9

Disruptive Touch: Fort save negate DC 13, Staggered 3 rounds if fail save.

Artie's turn:
Quickly Artie attempts a kick on the Wolf if it is not down; if Wolf down move/charge nearest enemy.
"We don't wish to harm you, leave now beasts"

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
Steal Health 9

Use Body wrap +1 enhancement
Swift activate Crane, -1 hit, +4 dodge AC Fighting defensively
Disruptive Touch: Fort save negate DC 13, Staggered 3 rounds if fail save

If fighting a different enemy, uses also Stunning Fist: DC 18 Fort negate, stun 1 rd

HandofCrom
2013-01-30, 11:31 PM
As the large wolf stands, Yosei slashes its flank open while Artie smashes its shoulder. It falls and does not rise.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-31, 02:55 AM
The wolf smashes against Quexlo, and manages to give him a nasty bruise against his legs, knocking him down.

He concentrates to maintain his spell

AAAAAAAGH I SHALL END YOU!

DC: 18
[roll0]

If the spell succeeds then I summon a shifting of dark inkiness, entropic Dog, 20 feet away.

"Suddenly the inky strands of darkness combine into a dark blob of stars and shadow. Its like as if a piece of the night sky melted into a shape of a hound. Its eyes shine like stars"

Then have it charge the wolf,

[roll1]

Bite:

[roll2]

In any case, I cast cause fear against the closest wolf. DC Save is 16 will, range is 40 ft

lasts
[roll3] rounds

And I use my swift action to take a five foot step and use my move action to stand up. In reverse order to avoid having to cast defensively.

FEAR ME FOR I AM THE AVATAR OF THE END!

"Dark shadows flow from the fingertips of Quexlo, swirling around the heads of every enemy wolf in sight"

Drothmal
2013-02-04, 08:49 PM
Astias waits until the beast has committed to its attack and gracefully dodges the wolf's bite by jumping back at the last second.

Even with their wielder mid-air, both of the inquisitor's whips continue stinging at the surrounding enemies

Actions
5ft step away from wolf. Preferably in direction that allows for a second trip target
Full round: Two weapon fighting

Right hand:
Trip (take best of 2)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Left hand:
If there is a second target in range/right hand misses, trip to second/first target
Trip (take best of 2)
[roll2]
[roll3]

If no second target in range, attack wolf
[roll4]
[roll5]

HandofCrom
2013-02-06, 12:07 PM
Astias's first lash misses the wolf attacking him, but his second brings it to the ground.

The horribly burned panther limps slowly back to the forest.

The dog formed of void and stars snaps in air, but with the last words from Quexlo, the wolf's snarls turn to whimpers.

doko239
2013-02-06, 12:42 PM
With another snap of his fingers, the wand in Yosei's hand again disappears. A faint blue glow suffuses his sword-arm, as Kurobuchi slashes with impossible speed at the wolf on the ground. Strange symbols appear on the wolf's flesh with each strike.

Combat Casting: Arcane Mark
Cast Defensively (DC15): [roll0]
Spellstrike (Arcane Mark): [roll1] for [roll2] damage.
Normal attack: [roll3] for [roll4] damage.

Edit: Crit confirmed on normal attack, for an additional 9 damage.

redsnake
2013-02-09, 06:32 AM
Seeing the panther flee, Galvin starts moving closer to the fray. He grabs another bomb and tosses it towards the wolf threatening Yosei, being careful not to hit the man.

Move action to get closer to the wolf, hopefully within 20 ft.

Precise bomb targeting the wolf and ignoring Yosei's space for the splash as well as any other space occupied by a friendly target.
Ranged Touch Attack [roll0] (+1 with point blank if in 20 ft.)

Damage [roll1] (+1 with point blank if in 20 ft.)
DC 18 half

HandofCrom
2013-02-15, 12:56 AM
Yosei's strikes hit true and drop the beast next to him. Galvin's bomb immolates the wolf on its back, and it does not writhe long. The last wolf standing withdraws from Quexlo and his alien hound.

You look around and see the attack has been repulsed. Many villagers are injured by animal attacks, some severely, but everyone is moving.

The clouds start to recede, and a voice that shifts between a high song like a zephyr and a distant rumble like thunder comes upon the village.

"You have stolen that which is mine, and I turn all of nature against you. Within one fortnight the axemen shall be sacrificed to the Coiled Beast to pay for this transgression, or else," and both voices speak at once with a third joining like a crack of lightning, "none shall escape the wrath of Gozreh!"

With that, another bolt of lightning strikes the great oak, shattering it into burning tinder. The clouds retreat, and the villagers stand in the rising heat in a shocked silence, the only sound the loud buzzing of insects around the food tables.

Perception checks please.

Scowling Dragon
2013-02-16, 04:24 AM
ITS HAPPENING! THE RISEN WILL FALL AND THE LIVING WILL FOLLOW US!

Screams Quexlo manically.

He dismisses his hound, as the streams that compromise the dog seem to disappear until all that is left are the two bright eyes, then as if blinking, the eyes disappear.

HandofCrom
2013-02-17, 05:55 PM
The townsfolk are somewhat subdued by what happened, but start talking quietly amongst themselves. Many are worried about what's going to happen to the town, and you hear a some talk about the coiled beast, some saying it's just a legend, others whispering they hoped it was a legend. The woodsmen who felled the tree are by themselves, and many people are looking at them with fear or anger. The town elder comes forward, and says, "Everyone return to your homes. We will meet and decide what course we shall take tomorrow morning. Stay calm. We have faith in Erastil. We will get through this."

People start dispersing slowly. You see one of the woodsman go to a woman and two children, who shy away from him, and returns to his fellows.

Let me know if you plan on doing anything during the rest of the day.

redsnake
2013-02-20, 07:57 AM
After the commotion, Galvin busies himself with preparing and administering infusions of cure light wounds to the townsfolk that truly need them. Afterwards he regroups with the others who helped out in the fight to ponder over what exactly happened.

"It's not everyday that a town draws the ire of a god. I'm inclined to find out what's going on. If any of you are so inclined, I think they'd appreciate the help."

doko239
2013-02-20, 09:53 AM
"If that were the wrath of a god, I doubt we'd still be standing here." Yosei says quietly. "I am no divine scholar, but I would expect Gozreh to bring more to bear against these people than a handful of wild beasts."

Starbuck_II
2013-02-21, 10:38 AM
"If that were the wrath of a god, I doubt we'd still be standing here." Yosei says quietly. "I am no divine scholar, but I would expect Gozreh to bring more to bear against these people than a handful of wild beasts."

Yeah, like a dire bear, Artie smiles.

Well met, so now that we fought together, I reckon we should team up if further troubles go our way? I am Artie Bladesting *bows* who are ya'll?

Drothmal
2013-02-21, 08:35 PM
Astias Sildor, at your service replies the inquisitor while choosing the less formal greeting of extending a hand to Artie And as for what just happened, I agree that we should look into it. Maybe we can talk with some of the locals? If so, I remember that there was still some ale left in my mug before we rushed out of the bar...

HandofCrom
2013-03-02, 03:10 AM
As you settle in for the rest of the day, you find the damage to the town is far greater than the simple attack you fended off earlier. Nature comes in all sizes, and it attacked the town in full. Clouds of insects descended on the food displayed for the festival, and ruined it. The town's stocks of foods were destroyed by vermin who charged from the forest under the cover of the larger predators. People do not try anything that day, but everyone is terrified. Crops are not going to be ready for several months, and starvation is imminent. Even the water supplies are precarious, as the water in the town well has started to steadily recede. The woodsman sleep on their own under the stars, unwelcome in the inn and their own homes.

The next day dawns, under a strangely hot and cruel sun. By mid morning, most of the citizens are milling around the remains of the temple construction site, and tensions are running high. The town elders are gathering, and everyone is on edge.

Scowling Dragon
2013-03-02, 03:15 AM
I follow my visions to the temple, where I know my destiny awaits.