PDA

View Full Version : Lords of Sea and Storm OOC

Pages : 1 [2]

Aevylmar
2013-03-16, 03:04 PM
Also, when would you people skip to? It's around noon for Kailea, late afternoon for Cygnes and Russet, and somewhat later afternoon for Aria and Xeifan.

Trying to keep these timelines straight is confusing.

Edit - Also, to make things clear: I have no particular objections to you people reading the spoilers named for other players unless I explicitly say, in-thread, that you shouldn't (which I haven't yet, but might). I just have them like that for the sake of clarity and not-taking-up-too-much-page-space.

Also also, chibi NPC pictures are starting to appear in the NPC list.

Mechanix
2013-03-17, 07:57 AM
Do you have a chibi generator or something? 'cause I want to make one for Xeifan.

Aevylmar
2013-03-17, 10:23 PM
Yes, I do. (http://www.tektek.org/dream/)

Also, a warning for everyone: I probably won't be able to post much, or at least make significant posts, until Wednesday night/Thursday afternoon, because finals.

Arpista
2013-03-20, 01:37 AM
Ditto for me. Really sorry, everyone - things have not quite been going according to plan. I should hopefully have a post up tomorrow evening - have had one half-written for a while now, just need time to finish it - but before then probably not.

Aevylmar
2013-03-20, 01:48 AM
I'm currently assuming that Mechanix, Maugan, and Industrious are waiting for me, and I'll try to get something done tomorrow or the day after (depending on how much of tonight I spend paper-writing instead of sleeping), but that Arpista and The_Snark are both in situations which will be continued only by their posting.

Really sorry about the hiatus, everyone. Finals.

Edit - Hiatus over.

Maugan Ra
2013-03-25, 07:26 PM
*takes careful aim at Russet's motivation, fires*

Mechanix
2013-03-27, 01:55 PM
Wow, sorry. Got absorbed in other stuff and suffered from a slight case of the burn-out. Will post very soon.

Arpista
2013-03-27, 07:57 PM
Yay! Welcome back!

... Cygnes had just remembered to get worried, too. Good timing!

Starting an Intimacy towards Russet. Thinking how precisely to phrase it, but basically the complex mixture of emotions described in Cygnes's last-post-but-one.

Mechanix
2013-03-27, 10:45 PM
I thiiiink I managed to turn that around and make my absence not too nonsensical. Also, character moment! Kinda perhaps?

Yeah I missed a really good scene.

The_Snark
2013-03-28, 02:54 AM
Maybe so, but I liked what you made out of it.

Also: it's just occurred to me that our two highest-Conviction characters are also our most insecure. The flip-side of being really driven to succeed, I guess?

Edit - also also: I don't think I have anything more to say in this scene, and am ready to timeskip forward via the hospital, or visiting the boats, or whatever. Will try to post something IC to that effect soonish, when I can come up with more than two sentences.

Aevylmar
2013-03-28, 04:10 AM
Got it. Given that it looks as though the rest of the party is also about ready to move on, I suggest one montage timeskip post with People Doing Things and eating and whatnot, followed by the circle reassembling at night by Eiyo's grave.

Reasonable?

Mechanix
2013-03-28, 09:02 AM
Got it. Given that it looks as though the rest of the party is also about ready to move on, I suggest one montage timeskip post with People Doing Things and eating and whatnot, followed by the circle reassembling at night by Eiyo's grave.

Reasonable?

I was gonna have Xeifan be all crazy enthusiast visiting her Manse and all but... That would probably end up in a bit of a "me me me!" scene XD Time-skipping to the boats might be better.

I'm totally gonna grab my Hearthstone though.

Aevylmar
2013-03-28, 06:11 PM
Actually, a nice Xeifan focused manse-scene could easily be a Good Thing, and it looks as though the other players have things they want to do which can take place at the same real-time.

So, party:

Some people (Xeifan, Cynges, Russet?) want to visit Xeifan's manse. Kailea is going to the hospital or back to the ships. Aria wants to visit her troops.

Is that an accurate description of what the plan is?

Mechanix
2013-03-28, 08:16 PM
Actually, a nice Xeifan focused manse-scene could easily be a Good Thing, and it looks as though the other players have things they want to do which can take place at the same real-time.

So, party:

Some people (Xeifan, Cynges, Russet?) want to visit Xeifan's manse. Kailea is going to the hospital or back to the ships. Aria wants to visit her troops.

It is as far as I am concerned, yes.

Arpista
2013-03-28, 08:42 PM
Cygnes would love to see the manse, yes. She'd also like to bring Kailea up to date if she can catch her, but may not be able to. She also wants to cancel the salting of the shadowlands, but that can be off-screen.

... I like Xeifan being a crazy enthusiast. And Cygnes... has various complex intentions, but considers knowing Xeifan better to be a Good Thing.

The_Snark
2013-03-28, 09:49 PM

Accurate, but be forewarned that I don't have any specific plans for the hospital or the ships. Unless complications arise, it's pretty much just going to be "Kailea helps out at the hospital for a few hours" or "Kailea makes sure everything is OK on the rafts, then spends some time with her son."

Aevylmar
2013-03-29, 06:08 PM
Understood.

Long post, writing now, may be done today, may not.

Edit - Sorry about this, everyone. I know precisely what I want to write, and how to write it, and writer's block is beating me to a pulp. Constantly. Because it's a jerk.

Mechanix
2013-03-31, 12:14 AM
Xeifan now entering her manic phase.

Aevylmar
2013-04-02, 07:51 PM
Apologies for the slow-down, everyone. College resuming = less time per day; split-up party = longer posts required. It shouldn't last long.

Maugan Ra
2013-04-05, 05:40 AM
On an unrelated note, what are the chances of picking up some xp and maybe training time in the near future? I have no idea how many sessions the game is roughly equivalent to so far, but I suspect it's at least several.

Also, I just realised that I never actually bothered to get the names of the other people with Vali. Damn.

Aevylmar
2013-04-05, 06:24 PM
Oh, riiight, you people get XP. I forgot. :smalltongue:

The second session ended a while back, giving you all 8 XP. The third session is currently in process. There will probably be four sessions, in total, in The Nation In The Night, after which there will be a timeskip of - at least - several months before the next adventure, tentatively titled A Wandering Will, starts.

Mechanix
2013-04-05, 09:13 PM
8xp for the end of the second session... Did we get xp at the end of the first session? Which was when? God I am so bad at tracking down xp in PbP.

Aevylmar
2013-04-05, 11:25 PM
You get 4xp a session for two sessions. You'll probably get another 4xp soon for the third session, too.

Mechanix
2013-04-07, 11:47 AM
Okay. Withstanding a 5L/Action Trauma 5 hazard for... Three hours. Given Xeifan's soak, that comes out to rolling 4 dice of lethal damage around... Oh, a thousand times or so.

Right. Gonna learn Elemental Succor Method, see you in a while.

...what do you know, the MoEP does not list Dragon-Blooded training times. Crazy!

Aevylmar
2013-04-07, 12:11 PM
Hardness applies to environmental damage, right?

Also: When in doubt, assume non-Solar training times are the same as Solar training times.

Maugan Ra
2013-04-07, 12:17 PM
Nope. Environmental damage actually bypasses armoured soak and hardness altogether, to the best of my knowledge. You get natural lethal soak against it, but that's it.

Mechanix
2013-04-07, 12:29 PM
Hardness applies to environmental damage, right?

Also: When in doubt, assume non-Solar training times are the same as Solar training times.
"Dragon's Nest" p.72 of Oadenol's Codex says the damage "ignores armor."

Solar training times for Favored Charms are (min. ability) days, so I'll need two days to learn Essence Succor Method, and then my hearthstone chamber will serve as a healing room, which is neat.

Aevylmar
2013-04-08, 02:45 PM
Excellent! The total sum of knowledge possessed by me has increased.

I'll post later tonight.

Arpista, did Cygnes arrange any sort of message to go to Kailea, to get in touch with her before the meeting?

Arpista
2013-04-09, 11:00 AM
She doesn't have a lot of people to send around right now - I was assuming she'd go find her herself once the tour of the manse was over. That way, she could bring her up to speed herself.

If she won't have time for that, then sure - she can have asked one of Niwa's people. Is that the case? If so, I can write a letter retrospectively - just let me know.

But a letter can be intercepted in a way Cygnes herself can't. So if it's up to her...

Aevylmar
2013-04-09, 11:44 PM
Sounds fine to me. Are the people looking at the manse still interested in looking at the manse, or do they want to move on?

Mechanix
2013-04-13, 11:06 AM
Research on Lepi and/or the Charm Xeifan wants to develop is probably downtime stuff, so I think I am done.

Aevylmar
2013-04-14, 11:23 PM
So, reposting for the people who aren't in RotSE:

Posting may be slowed due to missing computer.

Also, I'm assuming that Xeifan is enthusing over her manse while Cygnes goes to visit Kailea, and so isn't accompanying her.

Arpista
2013-04-17, 11:59 AM
Re: Snark's comment IC

I can handle limbo for a while - Kailea connecting with family+friends is cute! And I can always do Thinking About Things/Making Plans While Walking posts. >.>

Cygnes does seem to do a lot of internal monologues...

The_Snark
2013-04-17, 01:06 PM
Then I guess the limiting factor is our ST's willingness/ability to keep writing for a 9-year old kid. :smalltongue:

Aevylmar
2013-04-17, 02:05 PM
The storyteller is perfectly willing to continue writing for a 9-year old kid, but the storyteller also has a first draft of a paper due Thursday.

Sorry, everyone.

Aevylmar
2013-04-18, 11:04 PM
Doubleposting - in the interests of neither slowing down the story more than my irregular update schedule will, would it be practical for me to steal a page from Industrious's book and have the conversation between Isa and her family take back in flashback and an exchange of PMs, while Cygnes shows up to explain the situation to Kailea on the main thread?

The_Snark
2013-04-19, 01:46 AM
Sounds good to me.

Arpista
2013-04-19, 09:43 PM
Great! Um... would one of you feel like letting me know what Cygnes arrives to find, then? How hard is it to find Kailea? Just having a bit of trouble writing a post without context to bounce off of, and I don't want to invent context which might mess with things you have planned...

Aevylmar
2013-04-20, 04:01 AM
I'll post, setting the scene tomorrow (Saturday the 20th), and reply to Kailea. Apologies for IRL posting delay.

Sleeping now.

Arpista
2013-04-29, 01:35 PM
We're baaaaaaaack!

Post should be up this evening!

EDIT: Or now.

Aevylmar
2013-05-11, 10:38 PM
In the rather belated interest of keeping the other party members entertained while Cygnes and Kailea work up to the scene wherein the party is reunited, and since I'm presently making another (possibly final) pass over the list of Aspects You Can Improve During Downtime In The City, I'd like to ask everyone: What are some things you currently see your characters doing, or working on, or trying to improve, during the timeskip after this first adventure?

(I mean, aside from spending XP, which goes without saying.)

The_Snark
2013-05-15, 01:57 AM
Sorry I've been holding things up recently. It's been a busy week.

I don't think Kailea has anything more to say here, though she'll probably want to tell Cygnes about her idea regarding the storm mothers on the way to the palace (when they're not surrounded by people), and maybe share a bit more about the state of affairs among the spirit courts. That'd be pretty easy to narrate in just one or two posts, though, if we want to skip ahead.

Maugan Ra
2013-05-15, 11:57 AM
Sorry for my delay, the Internet has been horribly misbehaving for a while. Seems to be functional again now though.

Anyway, in the downtime I can mostly see Aria focusing on getting the city's military forces into shape, which may also involve her putting her bureaucracy dots to work and fixing up the logistical support elements as well - farms, blacksmiths etc.

Arpista
2013-05-15, 09:06 PM
Sounds great, Snark. Cygnes would love to hear about that - we could summarize in a few posts, or move to PMs if we wanted to jump ahead? What works for you?

Aevylmar
2013-05-19, 11:19 PM
Sounds reasonable, everyone. Once we've got this scene finished, we'll presumably want to cut to everyone meeting up in the palace district before the meeting with the Daimyo of Antirasia.

Maugan Ra
2013-05-20, 11:26 AM
Well, that's a confirmation that Aria's scene is finished, so I'd be happy with cutting to the meet-up again shortly.

industrious
2013-05-20, 12:13 PM
Agreed. I haven't really been able to do much with Russet for a while.

Aevylmar
2013-05-20, 02:06 PM
Yeah. I'm sorry about this, everyone; splitting the party and variable post speeds mean that Cygnes and Kailea have Things To Do, while everyone else has nothing to do until the party gets back together.

Eh. When the scene ends, we'll all have Learned a Valuable Lesson about the importance of never splitting the party.

The_Snark
2013-05-24, 05:05 PM
Apologies for the delay, everyone. I'm not good at writing transitions or setting scenes - or at least, I'm really slow at it.

Aevylmar
2013-05-27, 01:20 AM
Sorry; I wanted to give you the chance to introduce the people who were Kailea's support to Cygnes and to the other players, and to give me more of an idea what Kailea's people were like, so I could get a more accurate picture of her and them.

Anyway, currently waiting on Arpista.

Maugan Ra
2013-05-29, 09:01 PM
Withdrawing from this game.

It's not that it isn't a fun game - it is - but it's been over a month since something substantial happened. And it's been closing on two weeks since there was talk of just cutting ahead to end the scene. I have to give more priority to games which are maintaining something resembling a decent update speed.

Aevylmar
2013-05-29, 09:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, Maugan, but I understand; things have been slow.

In the event that the story returns to a semi-reasonable speed, would you like me to send a message alerting you, or no?

Arpista
2013-05-29, 10:20 PM
I'm so, so sorry. Finals are coming up and I've been overwhelmed trying to get my papers done.

Will try to get a post up tonight, I just... have a presentation tomorrow, and... everything's happening at once. This is temporary, I promise.

The_Snark
2013-05-30, 01:10 AM
Sorry; I wanted to give you the chance to introduce the people who were Kailea's support to Cygnes and to the other players, and to give me more of an idea what Kailea's people were like, so I could get a more accurate picture of her and them.

I'd love to paint a more detailed picture of Kailea's people, but... yeah. I'm just not coming up with much. I'm mostly cribbing from various Pacific Island cultures, and I don't feel like I'm doing it terribly convincingly.

And as mentioned, I'm bad at scene-setting and playing supporting NPCs. It's part of why I prefer to write in a collaborative medium, as opposed to short fiction or whatever.

Aevylmar
2013-05-31, 02:17 AM
All right. Given that, I think in this situation we want to focus on just the conversation between Kailea and Cygnes, and let the background stay back while we focus on the sharing of information and quick discussing of plans.

Mechanix
2013-06-04, 12:25 AM
I'm back!

Sorry about not saying anything while Xeifan stayed in contemplation of her Manse; I didn't really know what to say.

Everyone still on board?

industrious
2013-06-04, 12:30 AM
I'm here. I should get a post up tomorrow sometime.

Aevylmar
2013-06-05, 02:52 AM
Welcome back! Good to see you!

Finals are still finishing up here in late-quarters land, but it looks as though most of us are here.

Arpista
2013-06-07, 01:06 PM
My finals... aaaaare...

Finished!

Now a week of peace, quiet, and packing, then I'm free forevermore. Well, from college, anyway. Will post as soon as someone else does if not before - having described Cygnes arriving in my last post, I'm not quite sure what to say here.