PDA

View Full Version : The Best of their Kind (Weapon Talk)

Red_Death01
2013-01-08, 02:52 AM
So an idea I've thrown around (which in terms of sheer power doesnt really cry too loud) is a front line fighter that shows off his complete mastery of weaponry. He'll be lugging around several weapons at a time and switching between them given the situation or whim... Now- there are a couple things I need help with...

First: What are the best weapons of their type?
-One Handed Slashing, Bludeoning, and Piercing
-Two Handed Slashing, Bludeoning, and Piercing
-Two Handed Reach
-Long Ranged Weapon

I'd prefer them not to be Exotic as Feats will probably be strained enough as it is.

Second: Are there any feats that will assist me in making this work? The only one I can think of is Quick Draw (which assists a little).

Third: Is there any class, features, or other methods that actually make this type of style of combat work better than choosing to hit with a weapon of his choice.

Fourth: Any comments or recommendations?

Yes- this is a lot of Fluff to a character which probably hurts his sheer damage output but, I'd like to see if I can make this character have some potential.

JaronK
2013-01-08, 02:55 AM
May I suggest a level of Warblade so you can shift your Exotic Weapon Proficiency around, thus letting you use every weapon? Plus, their maneuvers are great for the "I'm a master with my weapon" idea.

JaronK

Qc Storm
2013-01-08, 02:56 AM
Quiver of elhonna can be used to carry around a lot of weapons and arrows.

Red_Death01
2013-01-08, 03:05 AM
I'm figuring he'll be a Warblade + Fighter Dip (Maybe Psychic Warrior?). Though besides that I don't have many ideas on classes.

What book is Quiver of elhonna in? Nvm- apparently I've always ignored it in the DMG

JaronK
2013-01-08, 03:12 AM
If so, I'd recommend Targetteer Variant Fighter (which gives you two exotic weapon proficiencies in ranged weapons free) as a dip. That should cover you nicely so you can use all exotics.

As for which weapons to use, the Greatbow is the best for full attacking when non mounted as a range weapons. The Awl Pike has the best reach (reach + 5'). The Lance is the best mounted melee weapon, generally. As a reach tripping weapon, the Dwarven War Pike or the Spiked Chain would get the job done. Since these are all piercing weapons, you cold use Piercing Weapon Mastery if you wanted.

And you should consider a Morphing weapon so you can have whatever you want whenever you want it.

JaronK

andromax
2013-01-08, 03:12 AM
Consider taking the Exoticist Fighter variant, in one of the dragon magazines, gives you 4 exotic proficiencies.

Other than that,;
Dwarven Warpike in RoS is my favorite polearm
Bastard sword is my favorite large sword.(Best dmg boost when made from Heavy Metal)
Elven lightblades are my favorite light weapons (18-20, and count as shorts words for Shadow Blade)
I've only ever really used reinforced sheaths for bludgeoning dmg.. usually only at low lvls.

Red_Death01
2013-01-08, 03:30 AM
The Morphing Weapon enhancement almost makes me want to try out the Kensai class... though I have zero knowledge of how it really works besides "they use a signature weapon" which I'm guessing a Morphing Weapon could count for....

Edge of Dreams
2013-01-08, 03:47 AM
The Morphing Weapon enhancement almost makes me want to try out the Kensai class... though I have zero knowledge of how it really works besides "they use a signature weapon" which I'm guessing a Morphing Weapon could count for....

The Kensai prestige class is a 10 level class. At each level, they can add either a +1 bonus or a +1-equivalent weapon ability to their weapon, and rearrange the abilities it already has. So, at level 10, their signature weapon can be a +5 Vorpal weapon, or a +1 Flaming Frost Keen Acidic Defending Merciful Morphing weapon or whatever.

Additionally, they have a couple of self-buff special abilities. There's also flavor/roleplay stuff regarding being in service to a lord and getting in trouble if you betray your oath of loyalty to your liege.

Togath
2013-01-08, 03:52 AM

If I remember right you can also apply any enhancement to a natural weapon using it(to give you throwable unarmed strikes[though I suppose you could actually use it in a serious campaign by fluffing it as your strikes creating waves of kinetic force], or a dancing bite:smallbiggrin:)

Red_Death01
2013-01-08, 03:56 AM
So- I think I've figured out the class levels and what I'll be working towards- The only question I still need really answered then is in terms of a Two-Hander what are the best weapons in their category?

Reach it looks like a Spiked Chain-
Slashing seems Greatsword-

though I'm still up in the air which is the best in terms of Bludgeoning and Piercing.

Edge of Dreams
2013-01-08, 03:57 AM
If I remember right you can also apply any enhancement to a natural weapon using it(to give you throwable unarmed strikes[though I suppose you could actually use it in a serious campaign by fluffing it as your strikes creating waves of kinetic force], or a dancing bite:smallbiggrin:)

If you're really going to get silly, you choose Unarmed Strike as your Kensai signature weapon and enchant it with Throwing and Returning. Then, you point to the rule that says "An unarmed strike can be made with any part of the body."

You defeat your enemies by throwing your own head at them, and catching it when it magically comes back.

andromax
2013-01-08, 04:06 AM
Slashing seems Greatsword-

Platinum Fullblade. Takes 2 exotic proficiencies but you get 4d6 as a medium weapon or 6d6 if you can wield a large one. You can get the proficiencies for free as an Exoticist Fighter.