PDA

View Full Version : Glaivelocking as an Eldritch Theurge

Reavent
2013-01-08, 10:15 AM
As the title says, I'm wondering how well glaivelocking is as an Eldritch Theurge. Basically I would use the warlock side for damage and the wizard side for buffs/battlefield control. Also, would Eldritch Disciple be better for that or should I just have pure warlock then into HFW?

Psyren
2013-01-08, 11:22 AM
Use Sha'ir instead - they're just as powerful as Wizards, but they can enter both ET and ED to get 9ths and Dark invocations.

If you want Hellfire Warlock, you're best off with a fast-progression caster like Ur-Priest.

Reavent
2013-01-08, 11:52 AM
I have never heard of Sha'ir, what book is it in?

Psyren
2013-01-08, 11:53 AM
I have never heard of Sha'ir, what book is it in?

Dragon Compendium

Reavent
2013-01-08, 11:57 AM
Ah ok, I'll have a look see to find out what its about.

thethird
2013-01-08, 01:18 PM
Surprisingly I've been messing with it in the past days... and it's giving me headaches

Sha'ir 2 / Warlock 3 / ET 10 / ED 5

With precocious apprentice (for early entrance), necromantic bloodline & kin mastery (for turn undead) you can get all the prerequisites and 9 & dark invocations.

Psyren
2013-01-08, 02:05 PM
Surprisingly I've been messing with it in the past days... and it's giving me headaches

Sha'ir 2 / Warlock 3 / ET 10 / ED 5

With precocious apprentice (for early entrance), necromantic bloodline & kin mastery (for turn undead) you can get all the prerequisites and 9 & dark invocations.

Actually that build only gets 8ths. Remember that ED loses a caster level, which means you're casting as a Sha'ir 16. (Shair 2 + ET 10 + ED (5-1=4) = 2+10+4 = 16.)

Try Cloistered Cleric 1/Sha'ir 3/Warlock 1/ED 5/ET 10 instead - casts as a Sha'ir 17 and a Warlock 16. You can also use Sacred Exorcist (saving you another caster level), but you'll need a Chasuble of Fell Power to boost your Eldritch Blast for ET entry.

thethird
2013-01-08, 02:15 PM
True :smallredface:

Although I don't like using items for qualifying for stuff.

Psyren
2013-01-08, 02:41 PM
True :smallredface:

Although I don't like using items for qualifying for stuff.

You'd only need it for a couple of levels, at which point your EB becomes powerful enough to self-qualify and you can throw it away if you wish.

Besides, qualifying with items is both RAW and RAI.

gorfnab
2013-01-08, 10:13 PM
If you want Hellfire Warlock, you're best off with a fast-progression caster like Ur-Priest.
Hellfire Ur-lock
Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 2/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Eldritch Disciple 8

Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 2/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Eldritch Disciple 2/ Mindbender 1/ Eldritch Disciple 5

Naberious vestige + Hellfire Warlock = :smallbiggrin: Also DMM Persist (Divine Power) + Eldrtich Glaive is quite nice.

Reavent
2013-01-09, 01:03 PM
So I looked at The Sha'ir, and it confuses me abit. At 3rd they get 2nd lvl spells but doesn't know any 2nd lvl spells. I'd much prefer to be a Wizard instead and have my stat priority as such: Int>Dex>Con>Cha>Wis>Str.

And I agree with Thethird about using items to qualify for prestige classes, it just seems really odd to me XD

Psyren
2013-01-09, 01:19 PM
So I looked at The Sha'ir, and it confuses me abit. At 3rd they get 2nd lvl spells but doesn't know any 2nd lvl spells.

"Spells known" for a Sha'ir doesn't quite mean the same thing as it does for a Sorcerer; Sha'irs can actually prepare and cast spells they don't "know." The spells known table you read only gives you their primary repertoire; they can actually ask their gen to retrieve any spell they've ever seen/identified before and have a slot to put it in. (Spells outside the repertoire/table simply take longer, and have a chance to fail.)

I'd much prefer to be a Wizard instead and have my stat priority as such: Int>Dex>Con>Cha>Wis>Str.

I suggested Sha'ir, not because they are Cha-focused (though that's a pretty big advantage by itself since it synergizes with Warlock), but because they are both arcane and divine casters. This is what allows you to get into both Eldritch Theurge and Eldritch Disciple with the same class and become an ultimate theurge. The flavor is great too if you make your outsider ancestor/beneficiary - the source of your warlock powers - be a genie of some kind, like a Marid (CN) or Efreet (LE).

And I agree with Thethird about using items to qualify for prestige classes, it just seems really odd to me XD

From Complete Warrior:

Meeting Class Requirements: It 's possible for a character to take levels in a prestige class and later be in a position where the character no longer qualifies to be a member of the class. An alignment change. levels lost because of character death, or the loss of a magic item that granted an important ability are examples of events that can make a character ineligible to advance farther in a prestige class.

It stands to reason that if losing a magic item can make you ineligible for a PrC, the item must have been what let you qualify in the first place. Therefore items as qualifications is endorsed here by RAI.

RAW doesn't care one way or another how you got the ability, just that you have it. ET wants 2d6 eldritch blast, and with the Chasuble that's what you've got; therefore you qualify.

But if you still feel weird about it, I posted a build above that doesn't need items.