PDA

View Full Version : Arrath: Hartooshians of Tantharra (IC)[Private Game]

Pages : [1] 2 3

Erasmas
2013-01-08, 12:47 PM
The three suns of Arrath never truly set. Quaynah, the Unmoving One, remained still in the southern sky... an unwavering eye that your people used to find their way through the merciless sands of Tantharra. Karask, the largest of the three... who dipped the lowest in the sky near end of day, was also the most brutal and unforgiving. When he rose, so did the unseen fire that heated the vast landscape around you. And Ralleta, the Quick One... who was smallest but moved the most through the sky. She helped to mark the change of the seasons, as her circle altered throughout the year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Erasmas/Arrath/Tantharra/Tantharra1_zps34dfb4b6.jpg

Discoveries

Tomb of Beldrham Kahngor: A treasure map that leads to this long forgotten tomb of an ancient dwarven king was obtained by the party, along with a strange medallion that bares a matching mark. All that is known is that it is rumored to have been somewhere near Orzam Minsc. A thri-kreen told that he had seen a similar symbol engraved into some rocks near the dwarven city.
Sands of Sakkarah: A guild of assassins that have infiltrated far and wide throughout Tantharra, placing members even into positions of esteem and power among the different races. Their existence is not widely known. Members have a tattoo of a seven-pointed star with a scorpion inside of it on the palm of their right hands.

Introductory Story

This was written back and forth between a friend of mine and myself. All of the italicized writing was written by him, not by me.

The Burning Season had passed with minimal losses to your tribe and with the Season of Shadows upon you... it was time.

You and the other Hartooshians had set out on the way to The Gray to collect myst - the essence of life here in Tantharra. Each group of Hartooshians was divided into a team of two and each team was sent in a different direction. The other half of your team was Vali'alusha. Like you, she was skilled with a bow and could be nearly as deadly with her twin blades if the situation called for it.

The two of you had left on your badoshii, the riding lizards of your people. Yours was a female, called Vol’ilva, and Vali'alusha's was a large male named Aryssom. A third badoshii was brought along, to help carry the water back once it was collected and condensed. He was the most intelligent of the three and was named Kekuelor. You have been traveling now for three days, staying in the now-present shadows where you can. And during the Scorch, when midday becomes the most brutal, your badoshii burrow temporary dens beneath the sand for you all to stay in. It is during such a time that you now find yourself, awaiting the passing of the harshest part of the day.

I unsheathe a long beautifully ornate carved bone dagger from behind my back as I'm leaning against Vol'ilva. The light from the suns flickers around it's intricate depiction of scales on the handle. Where the handle terminates into the blade is the mouth of a dragon, and for a brief instant I notice the light's reflection on the blade resembles the beast breathing fire. With a flash, I drive the dagger into the sand - impaling the noticeably angry scorpion inches from my leg. Its home was disturbed when we made our shelter and its sting would have put a quick end to my journey, if not my life. It fights wildly for a few moments, uselessly stinging at the blade, still lit like a fire. I crack a smile at the visual of the dragon in my hand breathing fire mercilessly onto the scorpion.

It quickly dies and I toss the tiny corpse up and out of the den. I know that the angles of sunlight that caused the pleasant display on my weapon mean that the Scorch is nearly passed and we will need to be on the move again. I sheathe my dagger, wrap my half cloak around my mouth and nose, and take a peek outside.

As you tossed the scorpion away, Vol'ilva's tongue shot past you and snatched the thing out of the air, her deep thrumming signifying her happiness at the impromptu snack. Peeking your head up above the sands, you see through distorted heatwaves that the time had come to press on.

You already see Alusha, as you have come to call her, pushing her way out of her own burrow... followed by Aryssom.

I take a survey of the landscape. The residual heat from the Scorch creates a vast oscillating mirage of waving lines. The whole desert has the appearance of a vast body of water. The thought causes an instinctual pang of thirst as I breathe in the hot desert air and I reach for my water skin. I take a few conservative sips, ensuring none is wasted down my chin or out of the corners of my mouth. Having done this for many seasons, Alusha and I's instincts are correct and it is time for us to continue riding to The Gray. Feeling rejuvenated from my drink, I give her a silent nod and mount Vol'ilva.

As you drink, Alusha says, quietly, "I shall rouse Kekuelor." The female elf moves a short distance off and makes a familiar noise with her tongue and throat. She then mounts up as well, while the third lizard retracts from the sandy ground.

Your small band then turns northward once more and carries on. You could already see The Gray ahead of you, looming in the distance like a great wall of granite stone. The light of the suns did not penetrate it very far at all and you could see its darkness from here.

You ride on for the remainder of the day, the wall of The Gray pressing ever closer. You stop to make camp when "night" falls... as much as it does here. When making camp for the night, you set up heavy leather tents to ward off the light long enough to sleep. You could simply have the badoshii dig out another den, but it really wasn't conducive to rest for a full night.

I lash the door flap closed and start to settle in. I take off the outermost layers of protective wear and shake some of the dust and sand off. I roll out a bed roll and lay down, staring at the ceiling of the tent.

The relentless wind always became worse during the resting hours, and it howled now outside your temporary shelter, barely moving the heavy leather barrier.

Alusha spoke in hushed tones, as she usually did. "We should reach the mysts early tomorrow. I hope we find a gathering pool." Occasionally, the mists overtook a rocky area, and could potentially gather in a large enough quantity as to form a place where you could not only fully submerge a wineskin or your hands... but your entire body, without touching the sides or bottom!

"That would be a pleasant treat after our journey up here."

"I think this will be a short gathering for our first. The myst seems to be thick and there is a lot of blue to it."

"The mysts are fickle and change frequently. Our best bet is to make haste to the Gray."

"We always must make haste. Our people depend upon it. Sometimes I wish that life would simply slow down... be easier, for just a little while."

Alusha stares off into the empty air of the tent as she dresses down and crawls into her bedroll.

"Glorilen?" she poses, "Have you ever thought of life beyond the Gray?"

"I have heard of brave, or fool-hearty, traders making the journey through the Gray to the other side. In my years journeying to the Gray, I have on occasion felt and caught glimpses of the nightmares that live within. I try to not think about it... Besides, our people rely on us."

"They say that The Gray ends, that it does not go on forever. My grandmother knew a man once that made the journey from the other side."

She pauses briefly. "She said that he told her that the land there is covered in solid water; and that the suns do not burn there. More water than a hundred tribes could drink in a hundred lifetimes."

"I have heard similar tales but it all seems so far-fetched... It would certainly be a grand adventure..."

"Not one that we shall ever see..."

She removes a few pieces of jerky from a pouch and then tosses the leather satchel to you. Leaning back, she eats as her mind obviously wanders.

"No... I suppose not" I catch the satchel, remove a piece of jerky, and stare off listlessly.

Soon, you both drift off to sleep, lulled by the rhythmic sound of the wind outside of your tent.

You are caught in a strange dream, wandering in a place you have never seen before... thought it still looked to be Tantharra. A fierce sandstorm blew around you, making it difficult to see. Suddenly, you saw a figure ahead of you, making its way in your direction. Calling out, the figure does not respond. Suddenly you realize that the figure is actually you. It is as if you were looking into a mirror. And then the sand blowing around you changes to a white powder, lighter than sand... and cold. It melts into droplets of water as it lands upon your skin. Looking around you, you see that the landscape has shifted from orange and brown to one of stark white and blue. A white flake lit upon your cheek, quickly becoming water. And then a second, a third, a fourth...

And then you awoke. Seconds afterward, something wet hit your cheek. Staring up through the haze of sleep, you see a slight dark sag in your tent... directly above your head. Then, a water droplet falls from the middle of the bulge and hits you directly upon the cheek!

I sit straight up and toss off the bedroll. I put my hand to my cheek as I stare at the depression in the tent's ceiling. I carefully and quietly unlash the doorflap and look outside.

You open the tent flap, your rapid movement disturbing Alusha out of sleep.

"What's going o..."

That was all she managed to get out before you flew open the flap, to reveal a thick gray haze all around your encampment. The myst, it appeared, had grown during the night. You were now within The Gray. Moisture clung to your skin, collecting on the goosebumps that had appeared.

My eyes go wild and I whip a glance back at Alusha.

"Is that?!"

I nod a sullen acknowledgement. I put my finger to my mouth to signal her to remain very quiet. The last thing we need is to draw attention to ourselves.

She breathes her curse, "By the suns..." Alusha stealthily rises from her bedroll and dresses herself, making sure to gather her weapons.

Map of Tantharra

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Erasmas/Arrath/Tantharra/TantharraMapComplete_zps99ffcd8c.jpg
Places:
Cities-
Bendawa (permanent elven settlement (the only one)): Northern Hornspires
Kirkalah (dwarven fortress): Eastern point of Mountains of Padame
Mosela (largest human city): Eastern nook of Needles of Azi’azat
Orzam Minsc (dwarven mine-city): Gorge of M’amon Djann
Oshekkis (small human settlement): Northeast of Olomnos’ Pass

Landmarks-
Dunesea of Aredes (expanse of more western desert)
Dunesea of S’yalk (expanse of eastern desert)
Fork of the Forgotten
Gorge of M’amon Djann (massively long canyon)
Hornspires, The (scattering of rocky outcroppings)
Kaymadonn’s Bite (series of wide gorges, connected by a narrow fissure; named for a kaldivan of legend)
Lightning Cliffs (mouth of the Gorge of M’amon Djann)
Mountains of Padame (mountains east of the Hornspires)
Needles of Azi’azat (mountains in Dunesea of S’yalk)
Olomnos’ Pass (pass through the Veladali Mountains)
Ridge of Dostonir (mountains west of the Hornspires)
Shallows, The (a network of small canyons, sinkholes, and shallow sand; keeps older kaldivan from traveling east)
Tel’al Fissure
Tel’bashon Dunesea (fairly safe from kaldivan)
Tordar Drogo (“Pit of Darkness”; humongous haunted sinkhole)
Valley of Emptiness (wider gorge)
Veladali Mountains (mountains west of the Dunesea of Aredes)
Vonakiir, The (dunesea; very safe from kaldivan)

Erasmas
2013-01-08, 01:04 PM
The thri-kreens had done it once more - where the Fork of the Forgotten branches off from the Gorge of M’amon Djann. They had burrowed, dug, and mined their way into an old kaldivan den and managed to connect it to a cave in the gorge. In addition, they killed not one, but two wurms; you couldn't fathom how they had so much luck!

And with the ample amount of meat and useful materials remaining, they had sent out the word to all of the people of Tantharra. At the sight of a Killing this large, the various tribes of all races put aside their differences for a short truce, so that their people may get the necessary means to survive for a season or two more. And so it was that you had been sent, along with a caravan of your people, from various corners of the world, to gather what you could to bring back.

You arrived at the outskirts of the temporary tent city that had been erected outside of the cave entrance. After helping to set up your caravan's camp, thankfully in the glorious shade of the M’amon Djann (at least during all but the Scorch), you were free to roam about as your caravan leaders negotiated the trades.

pife
2013-05-21, 08:39 PM
Sonja

I love tent cities! Everything is so rushed, so.. temporary. Those with coin to spare are easily parted from it, and those without can go without notice. Wearing an alluring caftan of deep bronze, with strategic cut-outs and slits, hinting rather than displaying, I glide through the camp atop fine sandals. Gold rings set with polished amber match the dangling golden earrings also set with large polished ambers. My unique appearance ensures that I never go unnoticed. I wander through the camp performing. Fire... Eating it, juggling it, wearing it. Though I do not call attention to Phariq, it is impossible not to notice the 3-inch tall (about the size of a chess piece) flame that flows across my skin, almost as though it were alive.

In a place like this, I keep my eyes open, watching for both opportunities, and hidden pitfalls, such as muggers, or worse. As the day progresses, I keep my ears alert as well, listening for rumors and information on the illicit goings on that are always discussed just out of earshot, for most.

Gildedragon
2013-05-21, 11:26 PM
Darab sat atop a boulder; a blue form against the orange rocks swaying softly as gigantic mica-hued snakes spun around him, their sinuous bodies dancing in the air, coiling and twisting into impossible knots around the mage. As per usual his tricks of light and smoke had attracted a crowd of onlookers. He kept going for a few minutes longer, the forms and beasts changing constantly until he recalled them as a gout of flame flowing into his hand. With a wave he called to his hand the cloth he'd set out to collect coins from his performance. Darab turned his eyes up to the sky, looking for Azer. The hawk was hunting for a snack, some dessert mouse or the similar. He muted their connection; he had no desire to taste his soul-bond's kills.

With a purse full of new coin Darab set out to view the wares the merchants peddled. A new staff would not be unwelcome, or more mica and incense powders to burn for his magics. Perhaps some merchant had come across a scroll. Darab prized those bone slat treasures greatly; to him there was little more magnificent than the sound of the click of them as they unrolled.

Lentrax
2013-05-22, 02:56 AM
Sera'allith rode in from the southern dunes. The Firebearer bid him come, a foretelling of most ancient prophecies to be filled. And with luck, would find the reason he was given the burdens he carried...

A spectacle like this will attract many, so rare is an event like this. Checking his scimitar is still at his side, Sera jerked the reins of his camel, urging her to the left toward the vast sea of tents...

Erasmas
2013-05-22, 01:01 PM
Sonja

Sonja worked her way through the crowds and did indeed draw much attention. Many would simply cease their conversations entirely as she passed by; the path of their eyes betraying the inner thoughts. It was difficult to know where you were going in a temporary city like this, and soon... the woman found herself taking a wrong turn off of the busy thoroughfare.

There before her, were four troods, the texture of their scaly hides, tails, and the way they stood instantly telling Sonja what she was looking at, despite that fact that their backs were turned. And though they did not see her at first, the old man whom they had upon the ground at the point of their bone daggers, did. He reached in Sonja's direction and pleaded for her help, with panic and fear causing his non-swollen eye to bulge beneath his thick eyebrows. If the fire-touched woman had any notion to flee, however, this was doused by the looming shadows of two more troods that stepped out behind her.

The one you assumed to be the leader turned and his pupil slits narrowed and his long forked tongue flickered out, before he spoke.

"Well, what have we here? Another sspessimen hass dessided to join uss. Perhapss sshe hass come to pay tribute to the Talonhide Clan."

~~~~~~~~~~۞~~~~~~~~~~۞~~~~~~~~~~۞~~~~~~~~~~
Darab

Wandering about through the merchant's tents, you finally find one that belongs to a bone carver... containing all manner of implements crafted from bone, tooth, and claw. As you enter, the elf near the back looks up from his work - apparently a short blade being made out of one of the kaldivan's paduva (or 'throat teeth’), which the beasts use primarily for rasping rocks and sand, and anything else they eat.

"Morning's mercy*. Can I help you?"

*morning's mercy - a greeting on par with "good morning", referencing the somewhat cooling reprieve that still accompanies the morning hours, before the true heat of the day sets in.

Sera'allith

You had worked your way down into the Gorge of M'amon Djann, finding a slope shallow enough to permit your badoshii the long climb down without too much risk of falling. You had been in the gorge for the last three days now, thankful for the protective shade provided throughout most of the day. You could hear the echoed sounds of the tent city long before you had rounded the last curve in the rocky canyon that permitted you to actually see it.

As you approached the settlement, a peculiar sight managed to catch your attention from the vantage point that you enjoyed from atop your mount. You saw a small group of half a dozen troods that appeared to be robbing an old man and his very beautiful red-skinned daughter down one of the lesser-traveled alleyways.

Lentrax
2013-05-23, 02:06 AM
At last. Sera thought to himself. I am almost... What's this? Bandits? Truly?

With a flourish, Sera pulls his scimitar from its sheath and kicks his badoshii into motion. In a gesture that is at once a salute and a lowering of his helmets nose guard, Sera charges in, attempting to scatter the troods, putting himself between the two travelers and the thieves.

"Perhaps you would care for a more lucrative target?

Sera whips his blade at one of the troods, slashing the beast across the chest.

pife
2013-05-23, 07:01 AM
Oh yes, I purr eagerly. I should be falling all over myself, revelling in your glory, should I not? For beating up old men is so... impressive. by the end of my sentence, even these thick Troods should be able to hear the condescension in my voice. I think these wrinkly scrotum-pouches need a object lesson in propriety and manners.

Fixing my glare on the largest, I call upon my innate abilities. Perhaps a scare would be enough, I think to myself. Perhaps they won't make me kill them. My hands ignite with an audible crackle of flames, even as my dark hair begins to smoulder, and my eyes light up, turning nearly yellow. Theatrically, I look at my right hand, and a flaming whip appears in it. I glance at my left, and a shield glowing orange appears attached to my forearm, pulsing with heat.

Yes.. Allow me to show you how much respect I have for you, the words dripping with scorn. Who is first?

Little do the troods know that this is more for show than effect. While both whip and shield are indeed aflame and dangerous, I'm no traditional warrior, and any attacks I make in this manner will be rudimentary, at best. Yet, sometimes the implication of force is even more effective than the application of it. If they can't be intimidated, perhaps I'll have to consider something more.. vigorous.

theskorpionking
2013-05-23, 11:34 AM
Alia's caravan was one of the last to reach the gorge. She was glad the long trip was over. She jumped out of the back of the wagon she had shared with her siblings. Her older sister, Sira, and her younger brother, Tomis. She danced around in the sand in her bare feet, praising the gods. Sira gave her a scornful look, "Ali is that the way a high priestess should act?" Alia returned the look and said, "I'm not a high priestess yet. Nor do I want to be one. I want to go on grand adventures like father." Sira sighed, "The Gray took father many summers ago. Mother only allowed you to come so you would get the insane adventuring idea out of your head. Tomis, come help set up the tent."
Edit: evidently I can't remember my own characters name

Erasmas
2013-05-23, 03:29 PM
Sonja & Sera'allith

A human riding a badoshii charges up, placing himself between the leader's group and Sonja. One of the two standing behind the fire-touched woman was nearly knocked over by the rushing lizard, but trood's were notoriously steady on their feet and he maintained his balance with a slight adjustment of his tail.

A collective hiss went up among this Talonhide Clan at Sera's arrival, and it grew even more aggressive when he attacked the one nearest where he stopped. This trood staggered backwards and placed his clawed hand to his chest as dark red droplets fell to the sand at his feet.

The leader spoke again, pointing a black curved taloned finger in Sera's direction as they all drew their weapons in unison "You sshould be more careful where you sstick your little nosse, Kin-rider! And you...", the leader indicates Sonja, "Kath'ssar will take great pleassuress both in defeating you and in ravisshing your sstinking corpsse!"

With this, the one called Kath'sar spreads his arms apart and you both watch as fire spreads between his open hands as he does so. The two still behind Sonja have stepped back as they have drawn their weapons, cautious of her magical abilities, but not dissuaded entirely. The other four, including both Kath'sar and the injured trood, moved apart and began to try and surround Sera and his badoshii. One of them leapt forward and struck out with his polearm, comprised of a long thigh bone and a scapula blade at its head. The white axehead sliced into Sera's shin, cutting the strap that held his saddle in place on his badoshii and nicking the riding beast as well.

Alia'chani

Tomis whined about how it wasn't fair that he was expected to help with the heavy leather tent. "Alia doesn't have to do anything! All she does is dance around and play with the sand all day. If I had been born an artizhak... I wouldn't make other people do everything for me just because I was special."

Even as he complained, he was already working on unloading the wagon. Sira, in her ever-serious tone, stiffled his racket in her usual ways. "Alia has many duties of her own that you do not have to attend to. For example, right now... she is going to fetch some water for us." Your older sister handed you a small leather pouch that contained the chinking of coins; and with a wink, she shooed you away towards the market.

Lentrax
2013-05-24, 07:48 AM
As his mount rears from the sudden injury, Sera feels the saddle begin to slide, a sure sign he is being dismounted. With a twist of his hips, he rolls from the saddle, hitting the ground even as his badoshii rears in pain. Without slowing, Sera spins, scimitar flashing in a deadly arc, catching one of the vermin in the neck. He grunts as the blade makes contact with the scaly hide.

Stay back, both of you!

Two fireshapers. Flames above, protect me!

With a scream of a man in deadly combat, Sera leapt forward, trying to drive the Troods back.

theskorpionking
2013-05-24, 12:53 PM
When Alia was certain that Sira wasn't looking, she waved her right hand high above the sand. An almost exact replica of Sira made out of sand appeared. Tomis stopped what he was doing to watch. Alia smiled mischievously. She move her right hand and the sand Sira was moving with exaggerated movements. Tomis let out a laugh. Alia wasn't quick enough to make the sand Sira disappear. "Really?" Sira crossed her arm over her chest. "How many summers have you seen?" Sira chided. Alia's eyes narrowed at her elder sister. "I have seen seventeen summers.", she said angrily. Sira shook her head,"Then why do you act like you've seen only five?" Alia mumbled something under her breath. "What was that?", Sira asked. Alia pointed at Tomis. "Tomis laughed." Sira turned her attention to her younger brother."Well, Tomis. Did you think it was funny?" Tomis knew better than to get involved in his sister's argument, so he just looked down at the ground. Sira smiled, "That's what I thought." She pointed away from the camp. "Water. Now!" Alia knew better than to press her luck. If she continued her sister would tell her mother. As she passed the wagon she turned to see if Sira was watching her, she wasn't. She found her bedroll and quickly unrolled it. Inside was a knife that had belonged to her father. It was all her uncles had found when they went searching for him.

Gildedragon
2013-05-24, 01:52 PM
"Shade's embrace" replies the mage, with a small bow. "Do not mind me. I merely wish to examine your wares" he says, looking at the scrim-work on the daggers' handles. He walks around the tent, carefully examining the pieces, looking for anything that indicates magical properties; having additional spells in his sleeves was always useful.

Lentrax
2013-05-25, 02:36 PM
One of the Troods fell to Sera's blade as he caught the loathsome creature across the chest.

His graceful movements seemed more a dance than a combat style. The suns glinted off his silver and golden mail as he danced across the sand. One of Troods lashed out at Sera, denting his helm and ripping away the cloth covering the metal.

The added reflection of the Firebearer off the polished steel helm dazzled the Troods, and made the dancing swordsman seem to light on fire himself.

pife
2013-05-28, 09:56 AM
Fire? I chuckle scornfully. How, pedestrian, I quip as I affect a pouty face and shake my head. Your plan is to best me with... fire?

Turning to face him, I concentrate, and call on the spirits of earth and fire that slumber deep beneath the earth, imploring them to pull the heat, and therefore the flame, out of the body of my opponent. The ground at his feet begins to shimmer with a heat mirage as the sand absorbs the heat that escapes through the trood's feet, causing it (the sand) to begin sizzling.

Pray that I kill you, you scaled toad, for if you survive, I plan to cauterize your "ravishing" stick. By my will, the heat emanating from my flaming whip and shield increases, and sparks begin to pop from the brightening writhing whip. This effect is merely theatrical. While both whip and shield will burn at a touch, the only "further" effect of the flames brightening and sparking are psychological

As soon as I'm able, I will reposition so that there are no troods behind me, and all opponents will be "ahead" of me, even if some are at my flanks.

And who is this dashing warrior, I wonder to myself, [COLOR="purple"]to throw himself so valiantly at unpleasant odds

Erasmas
2013-05-28, 12:55 PM
Sonja & Sera'allith

Sera felled the lizardmen he had injured upon his arrival, the troods hissing loudly as they see their comrade drop.

The one called Kath'sar bends the focus of Sonja's spell, deflecting it nearby with a manipulation of fire magic himself. Unfortunately for one of the other troods of the Talonhide Clan, the intense heat brought up by the fire-touched's power causes him to succumb. His skin blackens and a small amount of black smoke rises from his body as he falls to the sand and claws helplessly for his nearest companion. Within seconds, he grows still.

With two dead, the four remaining troods pressed the attack. The one with the polearm slashed at Sera as he continued to dance and twirl, while the other two tried to surround and cut him with their short swords. Meanwhile, Kath'sar leered at Sonja as he hunkered into a crouched side-step and began circling the woman. He then thrust his clawed and open palms skyward and the sand around her burst upwards to emit several small upward-streaking pillars of fire. The heat of the fire caused Sonja to recoil ever so slightly, and her skin tingled with pain and she could smell singed hair.

Alia'chani

You retrieve your father's knife, the sand inside the crystal handle shifting slightly as you removed it from your bedroll. Quickly, you tuck it away and then disappear before Sira has the chance to question what you were up to.

Soon, you are all but lost amongst the myriad of tents and strangers. You hear many tongues being spoken, but catch plenty of Padali^. Soon, you find a water peddler's tent - a dwarf who eyes you as you enter.

"You lost your way, little one? I don't have no trinkets and toys here."

Darab

The elf bows and goes back to his work with a simple, "As you wish. I am here if you have need."

Looking about, you see many wondrous things - this carver is very talented indeed. You even see a few staves that catch your eye; one etched with holes and swirls that make the whole thing reminiscent of the thin clouds that ride the sky during the Gifting Season*. And although none of them appear to be imbued with innate magic, you do stumble upon a choker that does seem to be.

^Padali- the common tongue.

*Gifting Season- 'winter' (as much as there is one on Tantharra). This is the only time of year when there are clouds and, therefore, the little rain that does fall.

pife
2013-05-28, 01:57 PM
I actually felt that, you hairless rat!

The fiery shield on my left arm changes form, becoming round, with sharp flaming saw-teeth around it's edges. Winding up, I release the shield like a discus directly at the chest of the fireshaping trood.

theskorpionking
2013-05-29, 11:57 AM
Trinkets? Toys? Alia stared down at the dwarf. "Little one? Why I'll have you know that my younger brother is taller than you." She feels her cheeks redden. "Many apologies, Master dwarf. Please forgive me for my follies. I am here for some water, and a few sweet rolls. If you might know where I might find some. Oh, and I have some coins for payment."

Lentrax
2013-05-29, 03:07 PM
The red blood of the Troods stains the sand as Sera spins again, but not fast enough as the polearm tears yet more links from his mail and blood begins to flow down his arm.

With a snarl, and a flourish worthy of any master performer, Sera spins a half circle around the first trood, then strikes out, blade hissing in a high arc as it tears into the skull of the second.

As he spins to face the remaining troods, Sera evaluates the situation. He watches as the girl stands her ground, hurling fire at the lizardfolk.

What a brave one, for one of the unenlightened. Not many would stand up to such bullying.

Erasmas
2013-05-30, 01:24 PM
Sonja & Sera'allith

As Sera's blade ends the life of the injured trood, Sonja's fireshield slices into the left side of Kath'sar's lower torso, causing him to wince. However, it was obvious that it did not burn him as much as it should... at least as much as it would another. Flicking his split tongue in and out of his fanged maw, he narrowed his eyes once more and inhaled deeply. When he breathed out, he caught Sonja, Sera, and his badoshii in a cone of roiling flame which dissipated almost as quickly as it appeared. The fire burned, but you would mostly recover; Sera's badoshii, however, was not so lucky. The creature bellowed and collapsed onto the sand.

The three remaining Talonhide Clan members began to back away as one. As they did so, their leader hissed out.

"Thiss will not be the lasst that you ssee of uss, Red Woman and Ssun Warrior. Like the three ssunss, we will be watching you and waiting for our time to sstrike. Nexst time... you will not fare sso well!"

And with that, they turned and slithered away between tents.

Alia'chani

The dwarf scowled as you chastised him, looking like he quite possibly was going to explode - the veins on his head arriving in a spectacular display. When you apologized, however, he soon got his rising anger under control. By the time that he replied, the whiskers under his nose had stopped flaring around like a flag in the wind.

"Aye, water I have. If you want food, you best look elsewhere. But let's see this 'coin' you have then. What is it - human?"

Lentrax
2013-05-31, 03:07 AM
When the fire came, Sera'allith stood firm.

The flames of the Firebringer protect me.

Part of the padding beneath his shining mail caught flame, but the material refused to do much more than smolder beneath the metal links of mail.

Sera watched the Troods retreat, and heard the words of thier leader. Paying them no heed, he instead turned to the red skinned woman and the old man.

Removing his helm, he addressed the two of them.

"My name is Sera'allith. Are you injured?"

Erasmas
2013-06-04, 10:59 AM
Sonja & Sera'allith

"I... I think I will be alright; thanks to you two."

He begins to try and stand, having no small amount of difficulty. With help, however, he manages to get himself up and seated on a nearby clay jar. He produces a bone ladle and opens another jar, scooping out a portion of water and sipping it slowly. He then offers you each a portion, before replacing the lid and ladle. After several seconds, he looks over to Sera's badoshii and sighs.

"I am sorry for your beast. I am afraid that I have nothing more to offer aside from water.", suddenly, a dawning realization falls upon him. "Although..."

He asks for you to bring him a basket that sits against the closest tent. When you do, he opens it and rummages through its contents, eventually removing a leather scroll. Excitedly, he hands it to Sonja, "This is a map that shows the location of a long forgotten tomb of a dwarven king, by the name of Beldrham Kahngor. For many years I have intended to seek this out myself, but I fear that the years have gotten away from me. I give it now, to you. I know there is only the one, but it is all I have. Please, take it. Besides... you two worked so well together, perhaps you can go with one another and divide whatever treasures lie there between you!"

theskorpionking
2013-06-04, 12:03 PM
"Not human, Master Dwarf." Alia says as she tucks her hair behind her pointed ears. She absentmindedly begins moving her right hand around, causing the sand on the ground to stir. "Though if Mother had her way I'd be a High Priestess." With that negative thought sand erupted from the ground, flying everywhere. Scared, Alia ran from the tent.

Erasmas
2013-06-04, 01:03 PM
Alia'chani

You left the dwarf merchant sputtering the sand from his beard as he muttered foul words under his breath. Coming out of the tent, you nearly bowl right into a Thri-kreen, who reaches out of one its four arms to steady you from falling. It looks down at you at moves its mandibles open and closed while the antennae on its head flicker and dance.

"Kareful elf childt. Dtanger lurkz aroundt here, near every korner.", after a brief pause, it gives a practiced bow, trying its best to emulate the human custom, "Be not afraidt. I am kalledt Theechil."

Lentrax
2013-06-04, 01:16 PM
Sera takes the ladle, careful to not spill a single drop of the precious fluid.

Making the sign of the Firebearer over the water, The warrior speaks over the ladle.
"May this fluid quench the fires of thirst, but never douse the Flame of life."

The man sips at his ladle, knowing full well that the water is much more satisfying when not just gulped down. After he has had his drink, he hands the ladle back to the old man.

Thank you, friend. Bandits are ever a danger to Waterbearers, and I fight them wherever they show themselves.

pife
2013-06-04, 01:17 PM
I look skeptically at the scroll in my hands, but do not wish to seem unappreciative. With a quick bow of the head, I smile at the old man.. Your gift outweighs our efforts, Most Revered Ancient One. Please, are you sure that you are well? I will fetch aid if needed. Were those troods after you for a reason? After looking at the scroll for a moment, I hand it to Sera'allith for perusal.

If the spirits wish it, I will seek out this tomb. Although.. Looking at Sera'allith, Just as one hand cannot clap, so too is this journey far too perilous for me alone. What say you, valiant one?

Erasmas
2013-06-05, 10:49 AM
Sonja & Sera'allith

The old man nods as he is thanked, adding, "It is I who should be thanking you. And the gift is but leather and the hope of unclaimed treasure... weighed against you sparring my life, the scales are certainly tipped in my favor. But, no... I will recover."

When asked as to why the troods had targeted him, he shakes his head and shrugs, "Why does any dark-hearted creature do what it does? I had something that they wanted; something which they felt it would be better to take by force as opposed to trade."

theskorpionking
2013-06-05, 11:08 AM
Alia stifles a scream as the Thri-kreen stops her fall. Please...please I didn't mean it. If you take me back to my tent, my sister can pay for any damages." For reasons unknown to her, Alia began to cry. "Just don't arrest me."

Lentrax
2013-06-05, 11:12 AM
Bandits. Sera would have spat, had this not been a culture which, above anything else, revered water.

They do not need a reason for anything. They fear no law, and answer to no code save themselves.

Sera took a moment taking the scroll from the woman to look at her. Her skin seemed to be truly aflame, the details that exquisite. The effect, soupled with his faith, led him to a blind conclusion. Without bothering to look at the scroll or its contents, Sera says simply, Lady A'atesh. I will follow you no matter the destination.

A'atesh: poor phonetic spelling of the Persian word آتش meaning literally, fire.

pife
2013-06-05, 11:27 AM
Cocking one eyebrow bemusedly at Sera, I allow my flaming whip to fade out of existence, but to the onlooker, it would look as though it were retracting back into me. Presumably my flaming shield faded after it hit the trood, but correct me if I'm mistaken and it's still somewhere over there cooking the sand for us.

With a smile of amusement, "Such fascinating blind devotion.. And me without my tiara.

Looking back to the old man, I concernedly ensure that he's moving well, and doesn't look like he's dazed or injured. Please, Wise One, give unto me your name and dwelling place. Should this map lead me.. us, I suppose, to untold riches, I will want to ensure you get your share. Accept my condition or see the map returned to you, the treasure unsought.

theskorpionking
2013-06-05, 11:34 AM
Alia gets her emotions under control. "Thank you gentle sir for your help. I have much to learn it seems. I was only looking for water. Now, after what I've done, I don't think I'll be able to get any for my family."

Erasmas
2013-06-05, 01:11 PM
Sonja & Sera'allith

"Today they did answer... to justice!", the old man stretches out his leg and kicks the head of one of the fallen troods.

When Sonja gives her conditions, he stares at her, unsure if had heard her correctly. A wide smile spreads beneath his bearded face and he laughs, before wincing and placing a hand to his ribs. "I am uncertain what great favor I have done to deserve the blessings that I receive this day; but Ralleta has seen it so. She brings to me a strong swordsman to defend my life and a beautiful young woman to show me mercy and kindness beyond measure!"

He takes Sonja's hands in his and shakes them adamantly, "That you would offer to share this with me, after what you have already done... is no small thing. I am Sizad Khahan and I traveled here from Mosela, to the east."

Alia'chani

Theechil makes a rapid clicking noise with its mouth and lowered itself onto its haunches, as to be less intimidating. One hand patted the woman gently upon her shoulder, another took her hand to guide her, and the other two gently lowered her to sit upon a nearby rock.

"Pleaze dto not shedt water; there iz nothingk to be frigthenedt of. I am not gkoingk to arrest you. I am sure that there iz nothingk that you kould have done that iz irreverzible! Kome, you need water for your family... this iz a water-seller just here - a friendt of mine kalled Targum."

The thri-kreen indicates the tent with the dwarf in it, from where you have just come from.

Lentrax
2013-06-06, 07:56 AM
Sera walks back over to his badoshii, unstrapping the saddle and removing it from the beast. He removes a few things from the saddlebags, and then begins burying his mount. When the badoshii is moved into its grave, Sera covers the body with an oilcloth retrieved from his things. Having done this, he then retreats from the grave, spreading his hands out over the fallen beast.

The Flames of life are extinguished, but the spark of life yet lives on. Our flame burns bright, and is fed by the gift of life that this, our friend brings to us.

He brings his hands together, and mirroring his own gestures, the sand begins to flow from either side of the grave, filling in the small depression.

When his hands join in the middle of the grave, Sera speaks again.

We take your gift of life, that it may nourish our spirit, and give strength to the fires of our life.

His hands form into fists, and he draws them upward. As he does so, the sand begins to bubble and grow dark. Then water begins to break through the surface, pooling neatly in the oilcloth as it too rose to the surface.

We give our thanks to you, Firebearer. Your flame gives us strength and the will to carry on through the sands.

Sera lowers his hands and goes to retrieve the cloth. Carefully, he pulls up the sides so that the sand and water inside do not spill, then creafully strains the water into empty waterskins.

theskorpionking
2013-06-07, 09:46 AM
Alia let's herself be herded towards the tent she had just left only moments ago, fearing the worst.

Erasmas
2013-06-07, 10:38 AM
Sonja & Sera'allith

The old man watches the funeral without a word, closing his eyes and nodding along to the words whispered by Sera'allith. When he was finishing, Sizad mutters the last bit of prayer along with him. Then, as he strained the water into skins, he added simply, "It is good that this is done."

Alia'chani

Theechil moves through the opening to the tent and the dwarf looks up, spotting the thri-kreen first followed by you.

"Theechil! That one should not be here; she just threw sand in my face!"

"Kalm yourzelf, Targum. I am sure that there iz a perfektly logikal explanation to the girlz aktionz." He then looks down at you and seems to motion for you to offer one, "Go on childt; be not afraidt."

theskorpionking
2013-06-07, 11:09 AM
Alia looked down at her sandal covered feet. "I'm a Artizhak, a...a sand shaper. Like my father. He's a great adventurer, he was. The mist took him five summers ago. I wanted to follow in his footsteps, but my mother refused. She said that she wouldn't be able to take it if something happened to me. So she contacted the High Order once my gift manifested. I rebelled, I ran away. She found me and handed me over to the Order. You must have noticed their handy work." She lifts up her right arm and shows them her tattoos. "I was given leave to attend this event. I'm still angry with my mother. I lost control and I apologize. I don't have many coins, but I'm sure that we can work out some kind of an accord." Alia bows deeply to the dwarf.

Lentrax
2013-06-12, 04:13 PM
Please, friend. You have shared your water. Allow me to do the same.

Sera holds out one of the skins. May the Waters of life ever flow for you.

pife
2013-06-13, 08:27 AM
I am quiet as my new companion performs his ceremony. Not being religious or spiritual myself, I don't have much time for such frivolities. The sun bakes all who sit beneath him, regardless of invisible sky fairies from the stories. but, it never turns out well to disrespect others beliefs.

Gods, she had never seen. Spirits, however.. Spirits were everywhere.. The best of them could be as boon companions, the worst could exceed a murderers worst nightmare. Perhaps the gods they prayed to were just powerful spirits. People are crazy, I think to myself.

Sighing inwardly at the waste of meat that the badoshii could have provided, I check the progress of the suns overhead. I plan to be napping in my tent, come the Scorch, if fate wills it. Now where am I going to get enough coin to fund an expedition to this mysterious tomb of unknown veracity?

I need an old dwarf, I say suddenly and out of the blue. Apologies, Respected Elder, I ask your leave to go, I say, placing one hand atop the other on the center of my chest, bowing my head respectfully as I do so. I go to seek information about this tomb you mention. I will be glad to check on you after the Scorch, if it pleases you.

Erasmas
2013-06-13, 10:55 AM
Sonja & Sera'allith

The old man takes the offered skin and bows deeply, "I am humbled by your gift, Sunwarrior. Please, before you depart... might I have the names of my saviors?"

Somewhere deeper within the encampment, the sound of a brass bell sounds in three distinct rings - telling that the Scorch is indeed approaching soon and that business would halt for its passing. It would be best to conclude any dealings and find shelter before too long. Sera realizes that he has not had the chance to yet set up his tent... and without his badoshii to dig out a borrow... he had no place to go. He had time to set his tent up, if just barely, but he would have to get started right away to avoid the fatal midday power of the suns.

Alia'chani

The dwarf listens to your tale, the redness ebbing from his face. "Dah... no need for an apology girl. Lemme see what coin ye have to spend and we'll work something out."

Theechil looks down at you and nods, as if to reaffirm that you could trust this dwarf. Somewhere deeper within the encampment, the sound of a brass bell sounds in three distinct rings - telling that the Scorch is indeed approaching soon and that business would halt for its passing. It would be best to conclude any dealings and find shelter before too long.

Lentrax
2013-06-13, 11:37 AM
Hearing the tolling of the bell, Sera utters a low curse. Had the time come already?

Hurrying back to his things, he pulled a tent from amongst his things.

Aid me, if you please. Time has gotten away from us it seems. Shelter must be erected quickly to avoid the scorch. Not even the Chosen of the Firebearer may escape these flames.

Unrolling the heavy material, Sera begins raising poles around the circular structure.

theskorpionking
2013-06-13, 11:53 AM
Alia jumps at the sound of the bell. The Scorch so soon? She digs into the bag of coins that Sira had given her. She would be in trouble if she didn't make it back soon. And if she didn't come back with water, she'd be in worse trouble. "Will this be adequate?" She asks, bringing out a handful of coins.

pife
2013-06-13, 12:18 PM
Half tempted to leave this person to raise their own tent while I sip water from the shaded near-comfort of my own, I allow my better nature to take hold and bend to the task of stretching out the material to meet the poles that Sera is erecting.

Erasmas
2013-06-13, 03:54 PM
Sonja & Sera'allith

Seeing as how Sera had come to her aid, Sonja decided to lend the holy warrior a hand in putting up his tent. In a matter of minutes, the tent is set up and Sera's gear had been moved inside. The bell rang again, this time with two separate sounds - Sonja had just enough time to get back to where her tent was located!

The old man bid you both farewell and thanked you again as he moves his water jug inside, before hobbling off into his tent. Nearby, from the market, you could hear the sounds of people hurrying to close things up and bring their possessions indoors.

Alia'chani

The dwarf reaches for the entire handful of coins initially, a strange glaze passing over his eyes. The thri-kreen makes a chittering snap of his mandibles and Targum blinks away his apparent trance. He then counts out three of the gold coins, leaving the rest in your palm.

"Was just joking, Theechil... weren't really going to take all the girl's money!"

He then produces two skins, full and puffy with their contents. The bell rang again, this time with two separate sounds - causing him to then usher you towards the doorflap as he begins moving things inside. Theechil looks to you and says, "It iz time for you to get back to your tent, elf childt! Can you reach it safely, or dto you rekuire assistanz?"

theskorpionking
2013-06-14, 11:01 AM
Alia quickly puts the rest of the coins back into the pouch. She takes both water skins and holds them tightly. She bows once to the dwarf then turns and bows to the thri-kreen. "Thank you kind being for your help, but I think I'll be alright on my own." She hastily made her way to her caravans campsite, only getting lost once. It had grow hotter by the time she had reached her family's tent. She used her right arm to wipe beads of sweat from her forehead, that's when she had seen Sira's head pop out from inside the tent. She had a worried look on her face. "There you are. Thank the Gods." Sira embraced her sister. "Have you been crying? Has something happened to you?" Alia's cheeks redden suddenly. "No nothing happened. I..I just got lost and didn't think I'd make it back in time before the Scorch." She hated lying to Sira, but she couldn't tell her the truth. "Well you made it back and with water, that's all that matters. I've set your bedroll next to Tomis'." Sira gave Alia a kiss on the top of her head, just like their father had always done, then closed the flap. The only light in the tent now had come from a lantern hanging from the middle of the tent. Alia kicked her sandals off and laid down next to Tomis. He smiled at her, "I'm glad you made it back. I was worried, so was Sira." Alia smiled back. "I'm glad I made it back to, Tomis." she said ruffling his hair.

Erasmas
2013-06-24, 01:10 PM
Sonja

The Scorch passes uneventfully, and you are allowed to dress and clean any wounds you incurred at the hands of those raiding troods. And afterwards, it seemed that you would have some time to yourself to relax before the remainder of the midday unpleasantness had passed.

Sera'allith

The Scorch passes uneventfully, and you are allowed to dress and clean any wounds you incurred at the hands of those raiding troods. And afterwards, it seemed that you would have some time to yourself to relax before the remainder of the midday unpleasantness had passed.

Alia'chani

You nestled in for the Scorch, as you usually did when out away from home and traveling. Tomis fell asleep after he drank some of the water you had returned with, which also was not unusual. Sira used the time to work on the silk scarf that she was currently making on her lap loom - this one a beautiful pattern of brilliant blues and yellows. She was nearly done by the time that you heard a scream come from outside... not far from your tent. It was hard to determine who or what the individual was, but not so for the cause of the pain-filled agony you now heard. Tomis was roused from his nap by the noise and was immediately wide-eyed and fear-stricken. Suddenly, the front flap of your tent began to move about and your brother let out a scream of his own. Sira leapt from her stool like a badoshii's tongue after an insect, and pounced onto the flap. She held it fast, not allowing it to open and looking to you almost as if for forgiveness for her decision to resign the poor soul outside to their fate. You hear the screaming beginning to die out into a whimper as the smell of the cooking flesh makes it's way into the tent. And then the flap grows still and all returns to quiet outside.

theskorpionking
2013-06-25, 11:04 AM
Tomis ran over to Sira and wrapped his arms around her waist and buried his face into her side. Sira still had the pained look on her face. The smell had finally reached Alia. "Oh Gods, the smell." Alia wrinkled her nose, then added "Do you think the body will still be outside when the Scorch is over?" Sira's look changed from pained to not appropriate within seconds. "Sorry, Tomis. I spoke out of place." She got up, but as she did her father's knife slipped from it's hiding place. Sira moved Tomis so that he was now behind her. "Where did you get that?" Sira asked, her voice dripping with anger. "Get what?" Tomis asked. "Never you mind, child! Alia'chani answer me!" Alia picked the knife up, "Uncle Piter gave it to me. It was... it was all they found." "Does Mother know?" Sira asked, Alia shook her head. "This goes against my better judgment, but I won't say anything. Just keep it away from Tomis." Alia smiled, then ran over and hugged her sister. Tomis was able to pull himself away from his sisters. "You get to have all the fun." He said then went and laid back down on his mat pouting.

Lentrax
2013-06-26, 11:00 AM
Sera removes his armor to perform repairs to some of the links that were damaged. Cursing slightly as he carefully removes the padding beneath it, he scours the wounds, then binds them in cloth. Before he dresses again, Sera pulls a small prayer rug from his things.

Kneeling on the rug, Sera touches his forehead to the ground, and begins to pray.

Firebearer, Light of the World, Flame of Truth, hear the prayers of thy lowly servant...

After the Scorch has passed, Sera will return his prayer rug to its place, then will don some simple clothing, leaving his armor off for now. His dark blue robes cover his layered white tunics, the gold brocade and embroidery in intricate patterns devoted to the suns. Atop his head, he wraps a turban from more blue cloth. He puts his good boots on, then ensures his scimitar is in its proper place i his belt, then begins to exit his tent.

Erasmas
2013-06-26, 11:56 AM
Sera'allith

Once Sera exits his tent, he sees that people are beginning to do the same and are returning to business as usual... or so it seems at first. However, he becomes aware of an increasing commotion among the impromptu city. Something is drawing both the interest and the attention of a growing crowd at the far end of the encampment.

Alia'chani

"'Fun'?! Listen to yourself, concerned about fun when there is a man who has just died upon our doorstep! Please, have some compassion and respect, Tomis.", Sira said as she broke into tears, overwhelmed with the gravity of what her decision had wrought. It wasn't her fault, had the tent been pulled open, all three of your would have been badly burned by the heatwave that would have accompanied whomever it was that had attempted to gain such a forcible entrance. The remainder of the Scorch was spent in uncomfortable silence.

---o---
When it was finally over, you heard the brass bell once again, distant and muffled through the thick leather walls of your tent. All three of you looked to one another, unsure of what you were going to find once you opened the flap. Finally, Sira took a deep breath and stated flatly, "Well, we cannot stay in here forever."

Untying the thongs that held the cover shut, your older sister pulled back the flap and cringed. Sure enough, there in the sand just outside, one arm outstretched towards you, was the blackened corpse of an unidentifiable person. Its clothing and the sand immediately surrounding it were stained with the ichor that must have boiled out of the poor soul. But something else caught Alia's eye... the individual's other arm was tucked beneath its body and its hand was wrapped around some kind of medallion.

Very quickly, onlookers are beginning to gather around the scene.

theskorpionking
2013-06-26, 01:05 PM
Alia eyed the medallion almost greedily. She wasn't sure why she wanted it, but she wanted it all the same. She crouched down low and began to wave her right hand around. She heard Sira say, "No.", but ignored her. She was hoping that she was the only one that had seen the medallion, but she knew that she couldn't count on hope alone. Alia caused a small dust cloud to settle over the area, then she reached for the medallion.

Erasmas
2013-06-27, 01:35 PM
Alia'chani

As the sand kicked up and began to swirl around, the crowd started to cough and choke as they backed up. Alia was able to retrieve the medallion, but not without forcibly removing the hand of the wearer first. What was left of the flesh crumbled apart at the girl's touch, flaking apart like coal and leaving nothing more than the bones beneath it exposed, which easily come undone at the joints of the knuckles. And the braided leather chord, to which the medallion had been attached, was little more than ash on the back of the person's neck. It easily breaks off at the slightest of tugs, leaving just a small six-inch section of itself still attached as the sand-shaper takes her prize. Looking at it before her spell settles, she see that it is made of a very strange material... not one that she has ever seen before. And the face of the medallion has a symbol carved into its surface, three winds blowing in separate directions and yet connected... as if from the same source.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Erasmas/Arrath/Tantharra/MagicMedallion_zps11a26e6b.jpg
Obviously, minus to annoying watermarks.

theskorpionking
2013-07-01, 11:38 AM
Alia couldn't believe her luck. The Gods had smiled upon her, granting her the medallion. She was still crouched over the body when Sira asked her, "How do you think the High Council will react to the news that you have desecrated a body?" Alia quickly hid the medallion and searched the ground, finding a rock. She stood up and showed it to Sira. "I didn't mean to. But, I was concerned when I saw this." Sira looked at her, "A rock?" "It's pointed, you see?" If she could get away with this, she would owe the Gods a favor. "Perhaps....", she stared at the body, it meant to murder us. The Scorch sometimes makes people do unnatural things." "I somehow doubt that, this poor soul, had any intention of murdering anyone. Did you not hear the screams? This person was in pain. I did what I had to do to save our lives, and I feel terrible. I will pray for what I've done and what this person went through tonight. I expect you to do the same."

Lentrax
2013-07-01, 11:42 AM
Sera, hearing the disturbance, looks in Sonja's direction, and after a deep flowing bow, heads in the direction of the commotion.

pife
2013-07-01, 11:59 AM
Rising contentedly from my afternoon nap (I never understand why some people find this time of day so unbearable, at least under cover), I decide that it is time to start earning my keep. Donning a fresh outfit, this one a tight fitted black vest that barely contains its cargo, and flowing black silk pantaloons, offset by a lovely and supple tan colored leather belt wider than my hand, I check my small mirror-fragment to ensure that my hair is presentable, and step out of my tent, in the mood to amaze and amuse those around me.

Noting the disturbance, I wander that direction, chatting amiably with Phariq as I go

Erasmas
2013-07-01, 02:27 PM
Sera'allith

You head over towards the commotion, eventually arriving at the edge of the gathered crowd outside someone's tent. There, in the center of the circle and splayed out upon the sand is the charred remains of someone that appears to have been caught outside during the Scorch. It wasn't the first time that you had seen such a tragedy, unfortunately. By the position of the poor soul, it seems as though they were attempting to gain entry into the nearby tent; where you now saw an attractive young elven woman and two children - one a young boy, and the other an adolescent girl with a rock in her hand.

The talk seemed to be turning to finding out where this person had come from and who would be claiming the remains.

Alia'chani

Your ruse seems to have worked... for the time being at least. Luckily, Sira seemed distracted by what had happened and the emotions that it caused to press the issue much further with you. More and more people were arriving to join the crowd of on-lookers, including a very beautiful woman covered in red tattooing and a man that appeared to be a holy warrior of Karask!

The talk seemed to be turning to finding out where this person had come from and who would be claiming the remains.

Sonja

You head over towards the commotion, eventually arriving at the edge of the gathered crowd outside someone's tent. There, in the center of the circle and splayed out upon the sand is the charred remains of someone that appears to have been caught outside during the Scorch. It wasn't the first time that you had seen such a tragedy, unfortunately. By the position of the poor soul, it seems as though they were attempting to gain entry into the nearby tent; where you now saw an attractive young elven woman and two children - one a young boy, and the other an adolescent girl with a rock in her hand.

Lentrax
2013-07-01, 02:36 PM
What is going on here? Then Sera sees the body upon the ground. Or what is left of it.

Ahh. A poor soul trying to escape the cleansing flames of Karask. Assuming htis tent must blong to the elven woman, Sera turns to her, bowing at the waist.

My lady, I am Sera'allith, Servant of the Firebearer. Do you require any aid?

Seeing Sonja approaching, Sera will bow to her again. Lady A'atesh.

theskorpionking
2013-07-09, 12:33 PM
"Aid? No, gentle sir. We're fine now, unfortunately I cannot say the same for this poor soul. My name is Sira'chani," Sira says giving a graceful bow. "And this is my younger sister Alia," She says, then quickly turns to Alia and whispers, "Put the rock down!" "And our youngest brother, Tomis." Tomis looks the strange man over, his eyes locked on Sera's weapon. "Have you ever killed anyone with that?" He ask excitedly. Alia rolls her eyes as Sira puts her hands on her hips, "That was very rude, Tomis. My humblest apologies, good sir. It seems that my brother does not know his place." Alia smiled when her brother got chastised, but it quickly disappeared when Sira caught her. Alia's true attention was on the woman in black, she wasn't quite sure what to make of her. Her eyes narrowed in on what appeared to be a little flame. It looked almost as if it were trying to hide. "You're on fire. Did you know that?", she said matter of factly.

pife
2013-07-09, 02:22 PM
I nod to Sera, acknowledging her greeting graciously.

Looking back to Alia, Of course I'm not on fire, I say, not in an unfriendly way, as I kneel next to the children. When my eyes meet theirs, I smile brightly as I whisper to them Would you like to see a trick, dear ones?. Concentrating on the rock in the girls hand, I use my abilities to pull all of the ambient heat from it, making it chill quickly in the her fingers, at the same time that I reach out and make a "pinching" motion with my fingers, just grazing the rock in the childs palm. Cupping my hand as though I had taken "something" from the rock, I pretend to eat my prize and then fake a girlish hiccup, at which point a small amount of purple smoke escapes my mouth and nose. Now, that will only stay that way for a couple of hours, but if you see me tomorrow, I'll make you another. And if you put it in a bucket of water, it will cool it all for a short time. Turning my attention back to Alia, It is Phariq that is on fire, as you can see. Dance for them, Phariq! My eyes cut over to the corpse, and I look quickly away again, waiting to see if the answers to my obvious questions might present themselves.

Erasmas
2013-07-10, 12:14 PM
All

After several minutes, it becomes apparent that no relatives or friends were present at the encampment to claim the body. In fact, no one seems to know anything about the person or where they even came from. A small parcel of men come and collect the remains, hauling them away for disposal and leaving little more than a darkened stain in the sand outside of the elves' tent.

Soon, the crowd disperses and the tent city goes back to business as usual. This was how life was in Tantharra - brutal, dispensable, and often short.

Alia'chani

Something catches your attention, out of the corner of your eye. When the man who introduced himself as Sera'allith bowed towards the lady with red skin, you saw the end of a leather scroll contained within his possession. In and of itself, this was not that strange... but it was the symbol emblazoned upon it that roused your interest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Erasmas/Arrath/Tantharra/MagicMedallionBurnedintoMap_zps43b09def.jpg

theskorpionking
2013-07-11, 11:51 AM
Alia drops the now cold stone, unimpressed. But it had seemed that Tomis was very impressed. Sira looked down at Tomis, "What do we say, Tomis?" Tomis blushed, then bowed to Sonja, "Many thanks, my lady." Alia crossed her arms across her chest, still unimpressed. That was until she saw the scroll the man dressed in blue had on him. She now stared at the man in blue. She knew immediately that they both had to be adventures, and she hoped that they would take her away from the Order. Alia turned to Sira, "Perhaps we could invite these kind people to sup with us?" Sira nodded her approval. "Well I do need to get some more supplies for the trip back home. So getting some extra dried fruits and some meat won't be a trouble." Sira disappeared into the tent. Alia tried to take the little gem from Tomis. He was making it difficult. "Give it to me!" She demanded. "No, the fire lady gave it to me, not you." She was about to hit him when Sira reemerged. "Alia!" It was all she had to say. It made Alia mad. She hated being treated differently. She wasn't able to do the things that many of her friends were able to do, they didn't have the Order watching every move that they made. "All right, let's go then." Sira said, beckoning to Alia and Tomis. Tomis grabbed Sira's hand. Alia had a better idea. "I'll stay here. I want to share some stories of home with them, and maybe they'll share some stories of their adventures with me." Alia said, but then quickly added, "I'm doing this for Tomis." Sira just gave her a look. "It's either that, or we have to listen to Tomis whine all the way back home. You see, this way I could tell him the stories when we leave for home." "Just don't be rude." Sira said as she and Tomis made their way to the market. Once they were out of earshot, Alia seized her moment. Pointing at the scroll Sera had on him she said, "Where did you get that scroll?"

Lentrax
2013-07-11, 12:14 PM
Sera watched the exchange with little sympathy.

Siblings were supposed to be a gift from the mighty, but so frequently seemed to tempt the flame within to rise up and burn those around.

He looks down at where the girl is pointing, then back up at the little elf.

It is a gift from one grateful to have shared water with us.

theskorpionking
2013-07-11, 12:27 PM
"What does that symbol mean?" Alia asked, pointing at the scroll. "I've seen it somewhere before." She felt where she had hidden the medallion, making sure it was still there. She breathed a sigh of relief when it was.

Lentrax
2013-07-11, 01:28 PM
The paladin's guard goes up as this young girl asks so many questions about a scroll.

Why? Does it hold any meaning to you, child?

Erasmas
2013-07-12, 12:22 PM
Sira and Tomis departed, as did the majority of the crowd that had gathered. Soon, it was only the three of you left.

theskorpionking
2013-07-12, 12:38 PM
"Because that symbol," Alia points at the symbol on the scroll. "Matches the symbol on this." She finishes, then pulls the medallion out from its hiding place, showing to the man in blue.

Erasmas
2013-07-19, 10:27 AM
"I too have zeen that mark. Many zeazonz agko andt far from thiz plaze."

A thri-kreen stepped from beside another tent, having remained so still, its coloration made it almost impossible to spot - a gift its race was known for. Alia recognizes this individual as the one that introduced itself as 'Theechil', the one who helped her in her dealings with the dwarf water-seller before the Scorch.

Lentrax
2013-07-21, 02:51 PM
I see. And what is this symbol?

theskorpionking
2013-07-26, 12:13 PM
Alia smiles at Theechil. "Yes, could you please tell us about it?"

Erasmas
2013-07-26, 01:42 PM
Theechil comes forward and lowers itself on its haunches to get a better look at the object. It turns the medallion over and over in its chitinous hands, its mouthparts and antennae working rapidly as its unblinking eyes examined it.

"I dto not know what the mark meanz, juzt that I have zeen it. It was karvedt into a ztone near Orzam Minzk*, the zity fortrezz of the dtwarvez further zouth within the Gorge. But thiz material iz what puzzlez me the most; I have never zeen the likez of it before. It remindtz me of the pattern in the pillarz of the Hornzpirez^, though thiz iz mucht zofter."

And with that, the thri-kreen hands the medallion back to Alia'chani.

*Orzam Minsc - it's on the map.
^Hornspires - likewise, on the map.

theskorpionking
2013-08-05, 04:27 AM
Alia looks the medallion over, a hit of a smile tugging at her lips. "Tell me kind sir, does this symbol lead to treasure?"

Lentrax
2013-08-12, 01:24 PM
Sera ponders for a moment. chin in hand, as he considers the words of the Thri-kreen.

But what is this symbol? It must have been important, but what could it mean? I should like to do some research into this, and now have a place to start.

Do you have a mount, Lady A'atesh? We may be travelling far in quest of truth.

pife
2013-08-14, 01:26 PM
I do not, I answer affably, but I can likely acquire one in short order.

Curious as to where this newly found path will lead, I continue to listen, and begin to consider my best option for finding an affordable mount.

Erasmas
2013-08-15, 01:37 PM
Sonja, Sera, & Alia

"I agree that it must have been important at zome point, but it was shown no partikular reverenze in my time amongzt the dwarvez.", Theechil added.

As Sonja recalls, this camp would be the best option available to her to acquire a mount. She even remembers having seen a badoshii herder on the far side of the "city" that appeared to have plenty of them to sell yesterday.

Psi'Phi

The thri-kreens had done it once more - where the Fork of the Forgotten branches off from the Gorge of M’amon Djann. They had burrowed, dug, and mined their way into an old kaldivan den and managed to connect it to a cave in the gorge. In addition, they killed not one, but two wurms; you couldn't fathom how they had so much luck!

And with the ample amount of meat and useful materials remaining, they had sent out the word to all of the people of Tantharra. At the sight of a Killing this large, the various tribes of all races put aside their differences for a short truce, so that their people may get the necessary means to survive for a season or two more. And so it was that you had come, from wherever you had been when you received word of this, to gather what you could.

The Scorch had just passed, where you spent the time lying beneath the protection of the sand. Once it was done, you rose and shook off the excess particles and carried on with your journey. After a short time, you arrived at the outskirts of the temporary tent city that had been erected outside of the cave entrance.

Reality Glitch
2013-08-16, 11:39 AM
Psi'Phi is slightly captivated by the bustling camp. When he regains his composure he heads in looking for something, anything, that he might need or peaks his interest among the shops and booths.

Erasmas
2013-08-20, 01:58 PM
Sonja, Sera, & Alia

As you are discussing matters, a trood wanders up and stops just outside your immediate area. He seems to be staring down at the burned corpse, before looking up to see the lot of you staring back at him.

Psi'Phi

As you enter the encampment, you notice that you seem to be arriving on the tail end of a bit of a commotion. The pieces of information that you happen to glean from the humans' tongues as they pass, is that someone was caught outside during the Scorch and obviously perished. Just as you are beginning to tumble to horrid concept over in your mind, contemplating how someone could let something such as this happen to them... you find yourself staring down at the charred remains of what must have been the victim. Suddenly bringing yourself back to the present, you see a human dressed in a manner befitting a Warrior of Karask, a red-colored human woman, a thri-kreen hunter, and a young-looking elf woman. You seem to have interrupted their conversation.

Akeperenquay

And with the ample amount of meat and useful materials remaining, they had sent out the word to all of the people of Tantharra. At the sight of a Killing this large, the various tribes of all races put aside their differences for a short truce, so that their people may get the necessary means to survive for a season or two more. And so it was that you had come, from Orzam Minsc, to gather what you could and make peaceable relations with the other races.

The had spent the majority of the day inside of your tent, transcribing scrolls and reading on matters of trade while your lesser kinsmen did the actual bartering. Truthfully, you had only come along in the case of the trades going unfairly in the dwarves' behalf. So far, your talents had gone unneeded and you found yourself longing for your home. Life in the city wasn't all that much more exciting than it was here, but at least there you could read about adventure and excitement. The Scorch had just passed, and as boredom began to take over your attention, you found yourself leaving the confines of your tent and wandering the encampment.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-08-20, 02:34 PM
Akeperenquay strolls the camp looking at the various wares being offered. While he had servants who normally handled such purchases, he enjoyed the act of shopping himself. It reminded him of his early days, working as an accountant for the household of Orzam Minsc's captain of the guard. All scribes had to do menial tasks before moving up to higher ranks and joining the nobility. That was one thing that he enjoyed greatly about his homeland. Unlike other peoples, a dwarf could change his caste if he had enough honor and got an education, while those who were lax or incompetent were placed in a more appropriate caste. An eloquent and learned peasant could become a fine scribe, and he'd seen a disgraced general forced to haggle common wares in a bazaar. He remembered even the legends of Zaphnath-Paaneah I, the Pharaoh born as a Slave, who revealed the great truth that the right to rule was not in the blood, but in the deed, and changed dwarven society forever. As he daydreamed and idly browsed the wares, he noticed the small crowd gathering. His curiosity led him over, to hear what they were gossiping about.

pife
2013-08-21, 08:29 AM
Well, she says to Sera, I suppose I'll go look for a... She trails off as she notices the attention of the trood. Good day, she greets the creature affably. Was this a friend of yours?

theskorpionking
2013-08-21, 12:37 PM
Alia eyes the trood wearily, once again hiding the medallion in the off chance he had known the person.

Erasmas
2013-08-21, 01:32 PM
Sonja, Sera, Psi'Phi, & Alia

As you stand about, trying to determine each others' potential purpose in remaining by this mysterious corpse, a very nicely appointed dwarf saunters up. There is a somewhat bemused smile upon his face, that is... until he spots the charred body.

Akeperenquay

You see a small eclectic group of people gathered around a dark spot on the ground. As you approach closer, you are amused to see a human dressed in a manner befitting a Warrior of Karask, a red-colored human woman, a thri-kreen hunter, a young-looking elf woman, and a trood. You are so struck by the oddity of this gathering, that you nearly miss the thing that likely caused them all to stand about so. Looking down, you see what seem to be the burned remains of a human... or an elf. It appeared as though the person had been caught out during the Scorch!

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-08-21, 01:38 PM
As Akeperenquay sees the remains, he almost vomits. He hated the sight of death, somewhat of an oddity for a people known for mummifying and constructing elaborate tombs even for their favored pets, but no one deserved to be caught out in The Scorch. The wrath of Quaynah, his namesake, was truly terrible indeed.

"I apologize for my rudeness. I was curious as to what was going on. Did you know this person? I am Akeperenquay."

Lentrax
2013-08-21, 01:55 PM
Somja takes one protective step in front of Sonja.

Sera'allith. Servant of the Firebearer. We did not know this man, though I fear his passing is a terrible portent of things to come. Can I help you.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-08-21, 11:53 PM
"Ah, a fellow sun-servant. May Quaynah's eternal gaze be always gentle upon you. I merely approached you out of curiosity as to what was drawing the small crowd. I...was somewhat bored."

pife
2013-08-22, 06:51 AM
Alleviating boredom was Sonja's specialty, and she idly considered several entertainments that would thrill and amaze the polite trood. However, she realized, this may not be the time or place for frivolities, more is the pity.

Apparently, Sonja chimed in from behind Sera, This man was caught outside during the Scorch, as you can see. More than that is hard to say at this point. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a purchase I must attend to. But any who are interested can join me for drinks this evening, on my coin. Be well, she finishes, as she winks at the dwarf, sauntering off towards the badoshii merchant, checking a hidden pouch in her pantaloons for her spending money.

Phariq glides to the top of her head, and can be seen undulating there in the sparse breeze her lanquid pace incurs.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-08-22, 10:10 AM
Pife, Ake's a dwarf.

theskorpionking
2013-08-22, 12:50 PM
Alia looked down at the dwarf, arching one of her eyebrows. "Somewhat bored? You have got to be kidding! There's so much to do and see here. And I for one think I will be joining the fire woman for drinks tonight." Unsure of what else to do, Alia goes into the tent. She looked through her pack and found her fathers journal. Reading it always made her happy.

Erasmas
2013-08-22, 12:53 PM
Sera, Akeperenquay, Alia, & Psi'Phi

You watch as the tattooed woman saunters off towards the heart of the encampment, leaving you all to continue your discussion. The thri-kreen pauses the elven girl's exit and speaks in a low voice, though it was not difficult to hear what was said.

"If you dtezidte* that you have needt of my guidtanze on your journey, pleaze seek me out near the water-bearer's tent where we met."

Theechil then bowed his head slightly, and made his own exit in the opposite direction.

*- that says "decide". Sorry, the 'rules' that I came up with for their speech pattern apparently doesn't play out so well in text with certain words.

Sonja

You make your way through the encampment, as eyes follow your every step. It was something that you were used to, however, and it did little to distract you. Eventually, you find yourself at the entrance of the cave that leads to tunnels where the Kills were made. The sound of butchering and haggling echoed their way towards you through the rocky caverns as you entered into the cool shade of the cave mouth. Inside, the first of the encampment to arrive had crowded into the premium space and you knew that the badoshii merchant had managed to set up near the rear of the cave, in a shallow sinkhole that the rest had not thought to venture down into.

As you approach, you can see the man, a handsome half-elf that was missing his left arm from the elbow down. He appeared to be finishing business with a human customer - it appeared to be ten gallons of water for the beast... a most successful trade on the merchant's part. And it showed, for he was all smiles as the man walked away with the badoshii. The creature easily scaled the wall near you at a place where the incline was not as steep, while the new owner climbed a rope and stone ladder that had been anchored in place.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-08-22, 01:30 PM
Alia looked down at the dwarf, arching one of her eyebrows. "Somewhat bored? You have got to be kidding! There's so much to do and see here. And I for one think I will be joining the fire woman for drinks tonight." Unsure of what else to do, Alia goes into the tent. She looked through her pack and found her fathers journal. Reading it always made her happy.
"Forgive me, it's hard to shake boredom when you've been examining various account papyrii since the morning meal. My sister-in-law says daydreaming's a bad habit of mine. I'd be more than happy to join you for drinks later. I may have some pomegranate wine I can share."

pife
2013-08-22, 03:32 PM
Enjoying the respite from the glaring heat outside, Sonja idles up to the half-elf, allowing herself to be seen getting an eyeful of him before she speaks... A fine, shady day to you, good sir. I find myself in need of a mount. Sonja's tone is brisk but friendly, and she idly looks at her fingernails (as Phariq dances between her fingers) before smiling and gazing intently at the merchant. What can you offer me that will see us both smiling when I leave?

theskorpionking
2013-08-25, 03:49 PM
As Alia reads and rereads various passages in her fathers journal, she absentmindedly starts fidgeting with the medallion in her right hand. She put the journal down on her lap and pondered just how she'd get away from Sira and Tomis for a few hours that night and where she'd find the fire woman for the drinks. She giggled at the idea.

Erasmas
2013-08-26, 11:51 AM
Sera, Akeperenquay, & Psi'Phi

As quickly as the small band had come together, it seemed to disband... at least until the promise of drink brought them all back together later that night. Each member of the eclectic group went their separate ways, tending to whatever tasks might fill the remainder of their day.

Sonja

The half-elf lets out an unabashed low-whistle as he eyes you in turn. He smiles a wide toothy grin and shrugs playfully, "You just so happen to be in luck on this fine, fine...", he used the word to accentuate his intention and his eyes to direct said intention at Sonja.

"... day - I happen to have sold all but my very last badoshii to that grand gentle soul that just left. That means I have one left... just for you, Miss...", the one-handed man let the word hang in the air, obviously asking for the information without having to actually pose the question that it implied.

Alia

As Alia thumbed through her father's journal, as her thoughts turned to the idea of getting out from under Sira's overly-watchful gaze for an evening, she saw something that made her blood run cold. As she had moved the leather-paged book towards her lap, a sketch on one of the last pages had caught her attention. The lighter thoughts dashed from her mind, she hastily picked the journal back up and frantically searched for the thing she had seen just a moment before. Was it a trick of the mind? Had she really seen what she thought she had?

And then she found it. A drawing she had seen many, many times before... of one of her father's friends that shared in his adventures. Though she had never met him, she knew much about him. His name was Jemad'asodaam and he was a fierce warrior; deadly with blade and bow. Though her father's skills at capturing the man were not that of an artist, he had managed to properly show the detail that must have been painted upon the shield that he was leaning over the top of. As the very breath escaped from her body, the elf girl saw the same swirling symbol that she now held in her hand as well.

pife
2013-08-26, 12:12 PM
Sonja pouts prettily.. Oh, she says, obviously disappointed. I know that when I go to market for meat, the last thing on the butcher's cart is what everyone else turned down.. What price did you have in mind, and what condition is the beast in? Perhaps I've arrived too late to mount anything worth my time.

Sonja's plan is to flirt her way to a better deal, but innuendo and the occasional batted eye are as far as it will go.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-08-26, 01:06 PM
Akeperenquay blows, his cheeks puffing a bit, as his tried to think of something to say.

"So...um, Sera'lith, was it? What brings you here on this day?"

Lentrax
2013-08-27, 03:12 PM
The lady A'atesh. She is the embodiment of the Fires Within. That I met her by happenstance is proof enough that I am bound to her.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-08-27, 07:40 PM
"Met her by happenstance, you say? Would it be rude to ask for details?"

Erasmas
2013-08-29, 12:29 PM
Sonja

The half-elf looked somewhat dejected when a name wasn't given, but he smiled and recovered when the game turned to heavy-handed innuendo.

"I have the mount you are looking for... the mount of a lifetime! The beast is in fine condition, as are all of my badoshii. Tassarta'eylbyr has only lasted in my stable this long because no one else was willing to barter enough for his purchase. His name is elven for 'Quest on the Wind'", he added, as if offering this information to impress, though you weren't sure if he intended it to make the creature more appealing, or himself.

Regardless, he lets out four short whistles in rapid succession, to which a giant lizard comes sauntering towards around the corner of a rocky outcropping. Moving a little slowly, it appeared as though he may have been resting.

"As for his price... do you wish to trade, or do you prefer to pay in coin?"

pife
2013-08-29, 01:33 PM
Sonja looks the beast over, then turns to the dealer. I can answer that in just a moment. Excuse me.

Turning back to the badoshii, Sonja closed her eyes and concentrated, placing her hands in front of her in almost a "praying" motion. Then, she draws her hands apart, curling her fingertips together, and separating her hands as though she were drawing out a thread. From between her hands, a frail sparkling net of faint golden light comes into being. With a gentle tossing motion, the net spreads to encompass and then be absorbed by the badoshii.

Without opening her eyes, she speaks to the trader. Fear not, good man, my weave will do no harm. But it will tell me what condition this animal is in, which will then tell me how badly I wish to have him.

Reality Glitch
2013-09-02, 10:34 PM
Well, then. Nothing like a dead body to ruin your day, at least you can make a meal out of it under the cover of darkness when no one's looking, you've been out of rations for a couple days and spent your last coin on the pack your carrying what little stuff you have left in.

You also decide to investigate the corpse before consuming it, it's only fair that if your going to eat her you might as well try to right whatever wrong killed her.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-09-02, 11:35 PM
Akeperenquay stretches as the sun beats down, wondering why this lot was being so quiet.

Reality Glitch
2013-09-03, 10:30 AM
(( OOC: I specifically said when no one was looking, so it's up to the GM whether someone catches him or not. ))

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-09-03, 01:56 PM
Whoops! Didn't notice that. Correcting!

Lentrax
2013-09-04, 10:46 AM
Sera, his conversation seemingly ended, begins looking for people to help him carry the body to be interred into the sands outside the camp.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-09-04, 12:34 PM
Akeperenquay sees Sera attempting to lift the body and tears some linen from his robes. He wraps his hands in them and attempts to aid the paladin lifting the corpse, but careful not to touch it with his skin.

Erasmas
2013-09-04, 04:08 PM

As the thri-kreen, the red-colored woman, and the elven girl had all gone their separate ways, the trood did manage a sniff at the corpse. Psi'Phi was able to determine that though this body was badly burned and would be incredibly dry, there was still some salvageable meat to be had.

However, it looked as though the meal might become more difficult to procure, as the human and the dwarf left with you begin picking up the body and moving it towards the outskirts of the encampment.

Sonja

The one-armed half-elf starts to object as you begin casting your spell upon his beast, but relaxes once you reassure him and the magic appears to be benign. You get a sense of good physical condition of this "Tassarta'eylbyr" and, though he is a little older than some, he appears to be healthy.

Once you have finished casting, the handsome merchant waits for a moment, trying to determine the outcome of your spell. He asks, timidly, "So?"

Reality Glitch
2013-09-05, 10:37 AM
"What are you doing? Shouldn't we try to investigate this a little more? I don't know about you, but I suspect foul play."

Lentrax
2013-09-05, 12:47 PM
There is nothing to discover from this dead man. Anything he could have told us burned with his mind during the Scorch. He is now in the hands of the Fires, and we will inter him according to ancient rite.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-09-05, 01:42 PM
"Besides, if we don't inter the ka correctly, it won't be able to reunite with the ba in the life beyond life."

pife
2013-09-05, 02:01 PM
Laying her hand upon the merchant's good arm, she smiles broadly. Yes, I'll take him. But you're going to offer me a better price than 10 gallons. Let's say, 4 gallons, and five pellets that when dropped in to a bucket or skin of liquid, will make your the liquid ice cold. Eyeing the merchant again from tip to toe, Sonja adds. And if I see you out and about in the evenings, I expect you to ask me to dance. Hold him for me, I'll be back with your payment this evening. Without waiting for his reply, Sonja blows a perfect smoke ring at him which wreathes his face before dissipating, winks, and turns on her heel to stride back to her tent. The ritual that will net her that much water was long and arduous, and she needed to prepare.

theskorpionking
2013-09-06, 09:48 AM
Alia has become enamored with the picture of Jemad'asodaam. She keeps looking at the drawing of the shield then looks at the medallion. She is looking so intently that she doesn't hear the flap of the tent open. "What is that?" Sira asks. Alia looks up from the journal and gasps. "Where's Tomis?" Sira sets down the packages she was holding and crosses her arms, "He's out playing with some children we met on the way back. Now answer the question, where did you get that?" "It's fathers journal, mother knows I have it." Sira walked over to Alia and grabbed the hand that was holding the medallion. "This! Where did you get this?" Alia jerked her hand out of Sira's grip, "I, ah, found it." "You're lying. That's what you were up to, you stole that from that poor soul. What do you think mother will say when I tell her that you desecrated a body? What if that were their token to give the Gatekeeper?" "You can't tell her!" Alia shouted. "You tell her then she'll tell the Order and then I'll never be allowed to set foot outside the monastery. Besides, even small children know that the token you give the Gatekeeper isn't a physical object." Sira reaches her arm back and slaps Alia. Alia couldn't believe what her sister had done, though she could feel the burn on her cheek. Tears started forming in her eyes. Before she can think, Alia grabs her pack and runs for the tent opening. "Alia, wait. I didn't mean...." But Sira's voice was cut off, Alia had run off.

Alia had no idea where she was, or how to find the fire lady. Or anyone else that had been around after the scorch. She walked along the vendor's stalls and looked into some of the drinking tents, but to no avail.

Erasmas
2013-09-06, 11:36 AM

The dwarf and the human gingerly carry the charred body to the outskirts of the camp, with the somewhat bemoaning trood in tow. The people that you pass give you a wide birth and hang their heads in reverent solemness as a matter of respect to the stranger who perished.

Eventually, you arrive at a place that is a fair distance from the encampment and has a good depth of sand in order to perform a burial that may not be as likely to be disturbed later on by wild animals.

Sonja

"I will have to see one of these 'magic pellets' at work before I can consider them a part of the bargain, but they sound promising. As for the dance, I wouldn't have it any other way... and I expect you to say yes.", he banters back.

The handsome half-elf bows as you take your leave, and there is no doubt in your mind that he watches you go. The ritual takes several hours, after which you are drenched with sweat, dehydrated, and tired. After a short nap, you seem to have revitalized the lost energy.

Alia

You heard Sira's voice calling after you, but it was soon lost in the din of noise amid the marketplace. The throng of people doing business in the afternoon gave you plenty to look at and plenty of places to hide. Looking around, you are unable to find the red woman or anyone else that you recognize, until you spot a thri-kreen ducking inside a nearby tent. You are certain, as many of them look very similar to you, but you think it may have been Theechil.

Reality Glitch
2013-09-06, 04:31 PM
Psi'Phi's stomach growls audibly, "Sorry, I haven't eaten since I left the previous town."

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-09-06, 11:24 PM
"Help us with this and I'll buy you a choice cut of the meat of your choice when we get back to the camp. I know your peoples' ways a bit, but I ask you to refrain at this moment. I don't know what faith this man followed, so I'd rather see him off in as close to the dwarven way as possible, to ensure he reaches at least SOME kind of afterlife."

Reality Glitch
2013-09-07, 01:06 PM
"That seems reasonable, I still suspect foul play though, not too many people stupid, crazy, or incompetent enough to get stuck out in the scorch by accident."

pife
2013-09-09, 12:42 PM
Sonja, having risen feeling better after her exhausting ritual, takes the time to clean herself thoroughly using a curved brass scraper to scrape the sweat and dirt from her skin. Once again she daydreams about someday living in a place with abundant water and cool days.

After ensuring that her bounty of water was still safe in the tent with her, she sets to the much simpler task of making "ice pellets". As much as they fascinated folk, and as easy as they were to create for someone with the arcane knowledge, she was surprised that more people didn't clamor for them. It all had to do with creating a "barrier", for lack of a better term, through which no heat could pass, not even the ambient heat of the earth and air. Without any outward catalyst for temperature, the tiny round pebbles felt cool, but not cold, and would remain so permanently until used. When dropped into liquid, the barrier would dissolve, allowing the "anti-heat" to rapidly cool the liquid.

The pebble would hold it's "charge" for several hours, allowing one to keep their water/wine icy. However, if two or more pebbles were dropped into a small enough container, they could quickly freeze it entirely. She once dropped four pellets into a waterskin, and it froze so quickly that it burst, pelting her with icy shrapnel.

The process to create them was simple and quick, though mildly draining. She had promised the merchant 5, but decided at the last moment to create 7. It was always nice to have something to surprise folk with.

She nodded as if to herself, a rueful grin on her face. I know, Phariq, she said in a tone that made it clear that this was not the first time. You hate water, and you hate cold. I realize that, my friend. But unless YOU plan to carry me across the desert... Her grin turned to laughter. I thought not. So stop pouting!

Once finished, she changed into a sand-colored form-fitting thigh-length robe with sandals that wrapped about her legs almost to the knee. Checking her appearance one last time in her mirror-shard, she decided that it was time to go fetch her ride. Whistling a jaunty tune, she set out carrying the skins, pellets safe in the pouch she kept inside her robe. Keep an eye out for danger for me Phariq. You never know what folk will do for this much water.

Lentrax
2013-09-09, 01:25 PM
- And we cast this body to the sands, where it may nourish the land around it, enabling his spirit to live on in the eternal flames of life. Take pity upon this poor soul, lost to the Scorch, that he find a place in the heavens, and his soul be slaked of thirst for all time.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-09-09, 08:51 PM
"This nameless one has entered the gates to your realm, and we ask that you deem him worthy. His spirit is a brave one, and his soul is an honorable one. O, Anapa! Mighty Anapa! As you take his measure, and weigh his heart as he stands before you, know that he was loved by many, and will be remembered by all. Anapa, welcome this nameless one and deem him worthy of entrance, that he may walk through your realm, and be under your protection for all eternity. O, Anapa! Mighty Anapa! Watch over this nameless one as he bows before you."

Akeperenquay touches the eyes, lips and chest of the deceased, careful not to let bare skin touch the dead man as he drones this prayer to Anapa, guardian and judge of the dwarven dead.

Erasmas
2013-09-10, 11:49 AM

The rituals of your various peoples and sects fulfilled, you lay the stranger's burnt body to rest. Even though you could not see his movement here deep within the canyon, you could tell by the shadows cast by Karask's light that the end of day was approaching. The temperature had already begun its short decline and you could already hear the merchants beginning to hawk louder, the desperation to sell before closing their tents up. Although those in the encampment rarely bedded down early in the evening, the only merchants who typically chose to stay open were those that dealt more in pleasure and distraction, rather than necessity.

Sonja

After you have cleaned up and changed, you gather your things and head back out across the encampment. Moving through the maze of leather tents, the merchants tried more intently to catch your attention, the desperation to sell before closing their tents up. Although those in the encampment rarely bedded down early in the evening, the only merchants who typically chose to stay open were those that dealt more in pleasure and distraction, rather than necessity. More than one pair of eyes followed you as you passed, and you get the feeling that this time it wasn't just your appearance that drew such gazes. Sure enough, as you neared the cave entrance once more to pay for your new mount, Phariq moved around to your front and sputtered three times in rapid succession - the indication of potential danger.

Casually looking around you without trying to draw suspicion, you manage to just barely notice a figure moving from shop front to shop front... most certainly following you.

pife
2013-09-10, 12:28 PM
Suddenly spitting several arcane phrases that seem to echo strangely in the quiet air, and casting her arms up and out to the side (more for theatrics than practical effect), Sonja seems to explode in a flash of fire, likely causing anyone watching her to avert or cover their eyes from the brightness. After the instantaneous flash, Sonja remained where she was standing, wings of fire that measure 12 feet from tip to tip extending from her shoulders, a pair of slender curved swords that roil with liquid flame dripping blazing sparks to the ground as she takes up a defensive stance and glares with glowing eyes directly at the figure. A sinewy tail four feet long lashes angrily behind her, as red as her skin but for the scorpion sting at the tip that glows with a pulsing pale light.

Hoping that her display would not only illuminate the shadows that hide her watcher, but also intimidate them into inaction or flight, (as her actual combat skills don't match her appearance), Sonja steps closer to her shadowy pursuer, the sound of her crackling wings loud in her ears.

theskorpionking
2013-09-10, 12:43 PM
Alia could not believe her luck. She had found the fire woman. She didn't want to be seen so she did her best to hide in the various tents along the way. After seeing the display of power that the fire woman possessed, Alia knew that she had been seen. She also knew that she could will into existence a sand wave that would smother the fire, but she knew that wouldn't help her situation. She quickly left her hiding spot and threw herself onto the ground, as if she were worshiping the woman. "Please, o' mistress of the flame, I mean no harm to you."

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-09-10, 08:07 PM
Upon return to the camp, Akeperenquay starts when some distance away fire explodes into the air. He hustles over to see Sonja'd display and Alia prostrating herself before her. He's dumbfounded by the sight.

Erasmas
2013-09-12, 01:39 PM
Sonja, Alia, & Akeperenquay

As Alia bowed before Sonja, who was wreathed in flames, the dwarf came upon the scene and was struck silent and still by it. Because of this, however, he was permitted to see the shadowy figure slinking ever closer to the waterskins that the red woman had dropped just behind her. The shrouded person had a dagger held at the ready, its eyes affixed to Sonja's back as it approached with the a slithering caution not-unlike a desert viper.

pife
2013-09-12, 01:52 PM
Truly taken aback by the unnecessary obeisance, Sonja relaxes from her combat posture. You? she asks with a chuckle. And here I thought someone was sneaking up on me either to ravage my waterskins or my body! They can't have the water and it depends on.. err.. nevermind. Furling her wings behind her, her brow furrows. Why were you following me, if I may ask? And stand up, I'm no noble.

Lentrax
2013-09-12, 01:55 PM
Sera goes to clean himself, another ritual for handling the dead. No part of the spirit of the deceased can remain with he who buried him.

His cleansing done, Sera then proceeds to rewrap his wounds, the dress and head to try and find the woman he thinks is a sign from the Firebearer himself.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-09-12, 11:00 PM
Truly taken aback by the unnecessary obeisance, Sonja relaxes from her combat posture. You? she asks with a chuckle. And here I thought someone was sneaking up on me either to ravage my waterskins or my body! They can't have the water and it depends on.. err.. nevermind. Furling her wings behind her, her brow furrows. Why were you following me, if I may ask? And stand up, I'm no noble.
"BEHIND YOU!" Akeperenquay shouts as he rushes up to the group, intent on tackling the figure before he can stab the fire woman in the back.

theskorpionking
2013-09-13, 11:06 AM
Alia rose up from the ground, not so much for what Sonja had said, but from the shout from the dwarf. Acting quickly, Alia rose to a crouch, her father's knife in her left hand. Her right hand was inches above the sandy ground, ready to send a wave of sand. But it wasn't necessary, the dwarf had managed to subdue the unseen attacker.

Erasmas
2013-09-13, 12:24 PM
Akeperenquay bolts from where he had been watching and catches the sneaking figure completely off-guard, grabbing a hold of both of the man's arms. As the dwarf forces him to the ground, the figure turns into sand and Ake finds himself with a soft landing as he collapses on top of the stuff. The mysterious thief appears to have gotten away, however, not before the scribe managed to spot a striking feature - the tattoo of a scorpion, set within a seven-pointed star, on the palm of his right hand.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Erasmas/Arrath/Tantharra/Tattoo_zps150459f6.jpg

Sera

You begin making your way through the encampment, unsure of when to start your search. After having poked your head into several of the merchant's tents, many of whom were starting to close for the day, you were running out of places to check and the fear that she may have left entirely crept into the back of your mind. However, no sooner had the thought entered your head, than you heard a somewhat familiar voice cry out from nearby.

"BEHIND YOU!", it sounded like it might be the dwarven scribe that you met earlier. The one who helped you bury the poor soul caught out during the Scorch.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-09-14, 12:11 AM
Akeperenquay traces the three spirals with his fingers across his chest as he witnesses this evident witchcraft.

"Quaynah, Karask, Ralleta and all the gods of the Endless River! What WAS that thing?!"

Reality Glitch
2013-09-18, 01:25 PM
"BEHIND YOU!" Akeperenquay shouts as he rushes up to the group, intent on tackling the figure before he can stab the fire woman in the back.At the sound of the warning you dive under the sand and wait poised in case combat ensues.

When the noise dies down you come back up and inquire about what happened. You had not caught on to anything as it had happened so fast.

pife
2013-09-24, 08:21 AM
"BEHIND YOU!"

At this shout, Sonja crouches and then springs into the air, twisting. Her blazing wings beat savagely at the air, but remained curled almost in half, as Sonja is not trying to gain altitude, but to use her wings to whip herself around, and possibly flail the unseen attacker with the superheated tips. She is careful not to strike Alia in her wild maneuver.

As her feet come back to the ground gracefully, she sinks into a defensive posture, wings half furled, the flames causing shadows to dance wildly on the tents and rocks around her.

Erasmas
2013-09-24, 10:36 AM
Alia approaches where the figure had disappeared into the ground, amazement playing across her young face. She places both hands upon the sand, moving them about in disbelief.

"He... it... just... disappeared. Like it was made of sand! How... how is that possible?!", the young elf questioned with a look towards Sonja, who had just landed nearby to find nothing of the threat that had been pointed out to her.

All of you see both the Warrior of Karask and the trood that you had met earlier come from outside the immediate area, Sera'allith's sword drawn and expecting a battle.

"What is happening? Where is the danger?"

pife
2013-09-24, 11:59 AM
Breathing heavily but trying to hide it, Sonja allows her casting to fade, the flames appearing to rapidly dwindle and disappear into her. If I were to guess, you're all trying to make me wet myself, she sputters, looking around for danger, but seeing only people she has met who appear to be no threat.

Bending down, she picks up her water skins.

I have to go drop off my payment before the man sells my lizard out from under me, and this is just too much water to be walking around with. And we can talk as we walk.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-09-24, 12:53 PM
"You're welcome..." Akeperenquay replies, annoyed.

pife
2013-09-24, 07:53 PM
Looking confused, Sonja fixes Akeperenquay's gaze and splutters What? I didn't see anything, just her Sonja nods toward Alia, popping up behind me, and then you guys running up. Is this a trick, Sonja asks as she rearranges her load. Carrying all this is giving me the creeps, she admits quietly.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-09-24, 11:33 PM
"Yes, and while you were gawking at her, someone was about to stab you in the back. I tackled him to keep him from doing that, and he dissolved into sand. I caught a glimpse of his hand, but little else."

pife
2013-09-25, 10:01 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry, Sonja gushes, dropping her waterskins and rushing over to hug him. Thank you, she says intently. I didn't see anything. Beginning to pick up the oft-dropped waterskins again, she pauses.. What about his hand?

Erasmas
2013-09-25, 10:52 AM
Sera sheathes his curved blade and clears his throat, obviously a little uncomfortable at the outward display of affection. He then moves over to where Sonja is and picks up most of the waterskins, intent on carrying the load for the red woman.

"Karask lays many burdens before us on our path through the desert of life, but they are not always intended for us to bear alone, A'atesh"

Alia, however, seemed very intent on learning more about this would-be attacker. She stayed very near the conversation between Sonja and Akeperenquay, paying close attention to what the dwarven scholar says that he saw.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-09-25, 01:07 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry, Sonja gushes, dropping her waterskins and rushing over to hug him. Thank you, she says intently. I didn't see anything. Beginning to pick up the oft-dropped waterskins again, she pauses.. What about his hand?
Akeperenquay's eye bulge at the surprise of the hug. This was clearly a very spontaneous woman.

"Some sort of tattoo on the palm. A scorpion inside a seven-pointed star. Anyone familiar with that?"

pife
2013-09-25, 02:03 PM
I heard a tale, actually a comedic drama, in which a minor character is a thief who by the grace of the gods is able to turn himself into water and back. It ends abruptly when he is pilfering in the sheikhs tent, when he hears a sound at the tentflap. Turning himself to water in the corner, he waited for the rest of his very short life, as the sheikhs dog came and drank him. The point is, the thief still WAS the water.

Sonja inspects the sand in the area Akeperenquay indicates. She sifts it through her fingers, swirls it around, looking for any inconsistencies from normal sand.

If she finds none, she will still sweep as much of it as possible into one pile. Then, holding her hand out, palm down, she closes her eyes and meditates on the fires of the earth, drawing extreme heat into the sand. Sweat begins to bead on her forehead and her breath comes in short gasps as the sand begins to glow red. Dripping with perspiration, she continues to beseech the spirits of fire to grant her yet more, turning the sand white hot, until it finally fuses together, turning into an ugly, opaque and shapeless "pile" of glass.

If he was still in there, she quips breathlessly, he's probably not happy right now.

Erasmas
2013-09-26, 03:45 PM
Alia and Sera watch in a no small amount of dismay as Sonja torches the spot on the ground where she was told that the tattooed man had dissolved into the ground. Once she was finished, and the glass started to slowly cool back down, all in the area returned to quiet. It appeared that the man had either gotten away, or simply was no more.

The holy warrior hefted the considerable weight of the waterskins and cleared his throat once more.

"Perhaps we should take our leave of this place and pay for your badoshii?"

pife
2013-09-26, 08:35 PM
I think that's a good idea, Sonja agrees, still gulping air. She looks around to see if they are being watched or followed, smiling at the gallantry of the holy warrior, and looking around at all of her companions to see if they objected.

If none were forthcoming, This way, she chimes, and begins walking to the badoshii dealer.

Erasmas
2013-10-02, 10:52 AM
The red woman, the scholar, the sun warrior, the elf child, and the trood all walk together towards the cave entrance as Sonja leads them back to the badoshii vendor that she had struck a deal with earlier. As she approaches, entourage in-tow, she can see the one-armed half-elf nervously careening his head to look above the crowd. When he spots the fire wielder, he smiles with relief... it is obvious that he thought he wasn't going to get the sale before the day ended.

"She does return! Fantastic! And she brings... friends?", there is a slight bit of a question as he spots the rest of you, Sera in particular. Sonja gets the distinct feeling that the handsome merchant is sizing up the holy warrior to both assess him and to decipher his connection to her.

pife
2013-10-02, 11:27 AM
Four gallons, Sonja begins, indicating where the water should be laid, and five Coldstones. Sonja retrieves five of the pebble sized objects from her inner pouch and displays them on her palm before handing them to the merchant.

Plus, the promise of a dance if I run into you where there is music.

Sonja keeps her eyes and ears open, alertly scanning her surroundings. A deal isn't done until both parties are safely away from the transaction with their goods.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-02, 01:22 PM
"Coldstones?! You can make coldstones too? That's...that's impressive.

pife
2013-10-02, 01:37 PM
Sonja dips back into her pouch, drawing out another of the cool stones, flipping it to Akeperenquay. You're too sweet for noticing.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-02, 02:17 PM
"I can't accept this, ma'am. They're far, far too valuable to just casually toss around."

He hands the stone back to Sonja.

pife
2013-10-02, 02:26 PM
Shrugging, Sonja replaces the stone in her pouch and puts it away. Now where is my new scaly buddy, Sonja asks, looking for her new mount.

Erasmas
2013-10-02, 03:22 PM
"A'atesh.", Sera complied as he moved and set down the waterskins in the spot that Sonja had designated. He then returned to the red woman's side and awaited for her transaction to complete, likewise remaining on guard.

The merchant looked at the gathering of water and could not fight the smile from his face. However, when Sonja handed him the stones, he tossed them a little in his palm as if their weight would betray something about the magic stored within them.

"I believe that part of our agreement was that you must prove the worth of these supposed 'coldstones'. I very well cannot accept them as barter without the removal of doubt as to their lauded properties, my lady."

As he gave Sonja a moment to respond, he spotted Alia hiding shyly near the back of the small group. The one-armed man looked and spoke, "What have we here, but one of my mother's people! A much finer specimen, I must say... no offense meant to my dear mother; may the suns never set on her soul." Alia blushed at the man's forwardness, tyring not to giggle when the merchant took her hand and pressed his lips to the back of it.

pife
2013-10-02, 03:54 PM
Have you something you would like chilled, then? Sonja digs one of the coldstones back out of her pouch, holding it between her thumb and forefinger. Taking yet another coldstone (her last) out of her pouch, and offers it to the merchant. Surely you have something to drink around here. I'll sweeten the deal. Here is a sixth coldstone, and the only extra you have to provide is cups and drinks for yourself and my friends. I'll use mine to prove that they work. Sonja rolls the remaining coldstone between her fingers and grins impudently at the merchant.

Erasmas
2013-10-02, 04:06 PM
The handsome half-elf, taking the sixth stone, raised his one hand to his smooth chin and rubbed it thoughtfully. "Hmm... why yes, I believe that I have just the thing!"

He jogged off to his tent, set some ways away against one of the walls of the 'pit' where he had established his little corral. He disappears inside only to reemerge a moment later with a large leather skin in his hand that was easily the size of a dwarf's belly, bloated with its contents. He slung it over his shoulder and made a noise with his tongue and lips towards the badoshii that had been introduced to Sonja as Tassarta'eylbyr. The giant lizard turns and follows the man back over to where you are all waiting. He then removes the drinking container and presents it to the group at large.

"Moselian blood wine; just procured this morning! I tasted it myself and I must say... I have never had finer."

pife
2013-10-02, 04:15 PM
Will you all toast my new badoshii Sonja asks her companions almost shyly. May he carry me far, and smoothly, she intones while waiting to try the delicacy that the merchant seemed more than willing to share..

Phariq seems to almost be pacing on top of Sonja's head, flickering from front to back, either agitated or on patrol, Sonja has no idea which.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-03, 12:12 AM
Akeperenquay intones something in Dwarven before joining them in the toast.

Erasmas
2013-10-04, 11:28 AM
The half-elf looks amusedly scandalized. "No, no... I offer it for the proving! This place is not fit for toasting - that is where we head next, my friends! Once this lovely woman's magic stones are shown to be as great as legend tells, then we shall seek out a tent of revelry in which to do our best to empty this skin of the treasure that it holds within!"

He takes the offered coldstone and drops it into the neck of the opened waterskin, a hollow PLOOP followed by an almost non-existent hissing noise. The merchant swirling the skin, looking down into its opening as if searching for the meaning of life itself. Soon, small droplets of water began to appear on the outside of the leather bag and the handsome half-elf smile widened as he held it out away from him in disbelief.

"Look! Look! It is cold to the touch; look!", he cried out, holding it forth in excited explanation. "Now, my friends... now we go to drink!"

pife
2013-10-04, 12:44 PM
Sonja accepts joyfully. 'Fun' is a rare enough commodity that she was hardly picky as to its source. Sounds great!

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-04, 03:13 PM
"I AM thirsty..." Akeperenquay notes. His superiors were probably going to be furious if they found he'd spent the night drinking, but the day's work had been over a while ago, and tomorrow he'd have plenty of time to sober up. He was so good at his work that he'd have it done in a matter of minutes anyway.

Erasmas
2013-10-04, 04:07 PM
"Feel free to leave Tassarta'eylbyr here for the night. He will be safe here, and you may retrieve him in the morning."

"The badoshii's name... is Tassarta'eylbyr?", Alia asked with a wide-eyed expression.

"Yes, young one. It means 'Quest on the Wind'; yes, I know.", the merchant had begun in explanation, although Alia had finished. She then looked to the rest of the group, uncertain excitement hidden just beneath the surface of her demeanor.

The merchant, looking a little confused, asked, "Why, do you not like his name? If it pleases the lady, she may of course change it. Come, we drink!"

Alia thoughtfully rubbed the medallion tucked beneath the folds of her clothing, as the band made their way out of the cave and towards a tent where there was already a lot of noise and laughter coming from.

Reality Glitch
2013-10-05, 10:45 PM
You spaced out for bit there. Amidst all the jibber-jabber you decide you have nothing left to offer at this point and head back to the town under the cover of the desert sand.

Erasmas
2013-10-08, 11:17 AM
Akeperenquay & Sonja

You are introduced more formally to Ra'shalan, the merchant who so generously shared his blood wine with you. There was much laughter and storytelling, but aside from that... you remember very little of the evening. The wine was delicious and definitely intoxicating.

When you awaken, you are back in your tent. The aching in your head reminds you that you probably had much more than you may have initially intended.

Sonja awoke to find Alia still sound asleep on a palette of blankets near the doorflap and could recall that the girl had passed out quite early in the evening. Still even more surprising, however, was that the half-elf merchant was also in tent... in Sonja's bedroll with her... and that he and her where both naked. A sinking sensation hit her stomach with the realization of what must have transpired.

Psi'Phi

Psi'Phi returns to the encampment and finds an out of the way place where the sands are deep and burrows beneath them in order to sleep for the night. He is awoken gently in the morning, as the heat of the three suns of Tantharra slowly begin to warm the sand that envelops him.

pife
2013-10-08, 11:24 AM
**Edited to include Sonja's apparent whorish nature**

Well, THAT's not what I expected to find this morning, Sonja laments quietly to Phariq. I thought you were supposed to keep things like that from happening to me, she adds in a miffed tone.

Shall I kill him, Phariq?

Reality Glitch
2013-10-08, 01:47 PM
> Psi'Phi: Morning, time to get up!_

You groggally pull yourself out of the sand, though you're not sure if groggally is an actual word. W/o fall you set up your tent along side all the others and set out various items that you collected throughout your travels, this you should be able to find enough money for food.

pife
2013-10-08, 01:53 PM
Listening intently to Phariq, she is reminded that, for a three inch living flame, he's pretty crafty. And dirty minded.

Quietly humming an arcane tone, she focuses her mind. The handsome one-armed merchant silently floats into the air, manhood dangling uselessly as it nearly drags the ground. The edge of Alia's blanket raises up, defying gravity as well, as the merchant soundlessly drifts next to her, then settles effortlessly back to the ground, the corner of the blanket covering both of them up again.

I wonder what badoshii eat, Sonja muses to Phariq as she finishes her morning rituals and carefully steps over the "lovers" on her way to check on "Quest on the Wind".

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-08, 03:23 PM
Akeperenquay helps himself to some breakfast that a slave had laid out for him before he awoke, then prepares himself for the morning, dressing in clean clothes, shaving and oiling up, and tying his false beard on. In about an hour, he's back out among the tents, noticing the trood from the other day setting one up.

"Good morning!"

Reality Glitch
2013-10-08, 04:23 PM
"Hello, see anything you want? I've got nav. gear, spell components, this fancy vase, blacksmithing equipment, and plenty more."

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-08, 06:32 PM
Akeperenquay eyes the vase.

This may make a good gift for my sister-in-law.

That was a damn lie and he knew it. His sister-in-law was notoriously xenophobic, even for a dwarf, and thought non-dwarven artwork was trash.

Reality Glitch
2013-10-08, 10:00 PM
"Well then, good sir, let me tell you a little bit about this one before you by it.

This here is hand painted by a great dwarven bard who's name I can't pronounce, it was part of a set that depicts some of the tales of the dwarven hero Ayxmirdyrer, this work in particular shows some of his greatest conquest, each land shown is painted in the traditional style of the race that occupied it until Axy took over, with a dwarven mountain right here, on what is generally considered the front."

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-08, 10:43 PM
"That IS interesting. I'm tempted to buy it for myself, actually. What would you accept as an offer?"

Reality Glitch
2013-10-08, 11:20 PM
"Weeeell, it is one-of-a-kind, and considering that the rest of the set is still out there somewhere, 100 Gold; and that's being generous."

theskorpionking
2013-10-09, 05:29 AM
Alia groaned as she felt something budge her. She turned over, expecting to see Tomis. But she didn't, it was the half-elf she had met the other day. She slowly peeled the blanket back, she then screamed loudly. The half elf woke with a start and was starting to stand up. "Huh?....Wha...what's going on?" Alia never gave the man a chance to stand up or finish saying anything. "Foul savage!" She yelled and then blew him out of the tent with a gale force blast of sand.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-09, 08:09 AM
"Weeeell, it is one-of-a-kind, and considering that the rest of the set is still out there somewhere, 100 Gold; and that's being generous."
"Then take 150!" Akeperenquay unhooks his coin-purse from his belt and drops it on the table, picking up the vase and examining it. Then he hears Alia's scream and spins to see the somewhat-comical-somewhat-unsettling image of the naked merchant being blown out of the tent.

pife
2013-10-09, 08:39 AM
Sonja was on her way back to the tent after checking on her badoshii when the handsome one-armed merchant was blown naked out of her tent with a rushing blast of wind and sand.

Ah, Sonja notes. Alia's up, I see. Increasing her pace, she half-trots over to where the half elf lies crumpled on the ground, ready to offer aid, but holding back a smile and a chuckle.

Rolling him over, she asks.. Are you quite well?

Reality Glitch
2013-10-09, 09:39 AM
"Then take 150!""Very well then, have a nice day." In truth you have no idea what the actual value of the vase is, you found it just lying in the sand. You knowing your though, and 100 Gold is definitely something to gawk at.

> Psi'Phi: See the what's making that racket_

No. You really don't want to. You're uncomfortable w/ your own nudity, why on the gods tan Hartoosh would you want to investigate someone else's. As long as it doesn't come this way you're fine.

Erasmas
2013-10-09, 09:31 PM
Sonja & Alia

The naked merchant coughs and sputters, hacking up a mouthful of sand as he tried the blink the grit from his sleep-heavy eyes. The fact that he was without clothing either had not occurred to him yet, or he simply did not care. However, he seemed more than a little confused and alarmed by whatever had just happened to him to cause such a rude awakening.

"Who?! What?! Oh...", he squinted up into the face of the red woman and smiled weakly... sand stuck between his inordinately white teeth on upon his now-dusty lips. "... good morning, my sunbloom!"

Not too far away, Sonja heard a snicker and, turning to see its source, found Sera'allith sitting atop of large woven leather basket... wearing a firm smirk on his face. You knew that he had purposefully nursed his level of drink all the previous night, something about not over-indulging. As you shot him a look, he held up both hands in a sign of no contest.

Alia, now alone in the strange tent, could hear talking coming from outside but could not make out what was being said. The young elven girl was having difficulty remembering anything that had happened after they arrived at the large tent and had starting drinking that delicious wine. Her head hurt and her stomach felt funny.

Akeperenquay & Psi'Phi

As you concluded the business of the vase, the events nearby continued to unfold like a comedic playstory with seemingly tragic portent.

Watching from nearby, you saw the Sunwarrior that introduced himself as Sera, who looked to be every bit as amused as you.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-10, 12:13 AM
"It goes to show that even in a world as harsh as ours, there are moments of levity."

pife
2013-10-10, 07:12 AM
Had a small falling out with your new girlfriend, did we? Did you forget to take out the trash? Looking him up and down, she adds.. No, I'm thinking you forgot to do the laundry. I say that because.. she pauses, one eyebrow arching in amusement.. Your banner is at half mast, sir. You might want to do something about that.

theskorpionking
2013-10-10, 09:38 AM
Alia emerges from the tent gripping her father's knife. "This should take care of the problem." She says holding up the knife. She stalks towards the half elf, "It will be a small price to pay for what he did to me."

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-10, 09:42 AM
Akeperenquay's eyes bug out when he sees the knife.

"Hey now! Don't do anything hasty!"

Erasmas
2013-10-10, 10:18 AM
The handsome, yet sandy, merchant looks as if he is startled by finding out that he is naked... but not nearly as startled as he appears as Alia comes charging from the tent, knife drawn. As she closes with him, he shuffles backwards a short distance on his rear in the sand, but as he realizes that that will not be enough to get him away, you see him wave his one hand around, gesticulating with nimble fingers.

"Âkŗʯ hǣƴeţţ bâħtŗʯɱ ɀȉdǣl!", he shouts in the manner of a hasty defense.

The rest of you see Alia's anger immediately disappear and she drops the knife at her feet. Empathy and concern suddenly well up behind her face.

pife
2013-10-10, 10:40 AM
See what happens when you press your advantage with the wrong girl, Sonja chides, half-seriously.

You're lucky it wasn't me that you tried your drunken tumble with last night.. Her sand would have been replaced by my fire. And I'd hate to singe such a lovely.. rump roast,, she adds, overtly checking out his dusty backside with a chuckle and a wicked grin.

Putting a hand to her head to relieve a moment of vertigo, she swallows and fights the nausea that being upright is causing. She ducks inside her tent quickly, and brings back the merchants trousers, holding them out for him to step into, as though he were a toddler and she his mother.

Flashing a dazzling smile that lights up her face regardless of the tousled hair and wrinkled garb, she addresses the dwarf. Good morning Akeperenquay, I trust you slept well? Will you break your fast with us? I have some preserved sweetmeats that are absolutely fabulous.

theskorpionking
2013-10-10, 10:47 AM
"Oh, you poor, poor thing. Who has done this to you?" Alia asks. She then looks around, staring intently at all the onlookers. "All you have to do is point them out and I shall punish them thoroughly."

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-10, 10:49 AM
"Um, good morning Sonja. What exactly is going on here?" Akeperenquay blushes a bit, wondering just what he's gotten into with these very strange people.

pife
2013-10-10, 10:59 AM
We all drank too much and are just rising now. There is a twinkle in her eyes and she is clearly amused by the situation. C'mon, she encourages the befuddled merchant, put your foot in.

Erasmas
2013-10-10, 12:01 PM
"But I thought...", the half-elf started, looking thoroughly confused at Sonja as he stepped into his pants and fastened them. He shakes his head as if to clear it.

When Alia comes to him, he stammers, "No, no... I'll be fine. Thank you for the concern, though. And, you know...", Ra'shalan lowers his voice and meets her eyes, "... that I had no intentions of ending up in your bed. I'm still uncertain as to how I came to be there, as I was aiming for a different destination." As he utters the word, his eyes dart to the red woman, desperate frustration playing with his expression.

Sera, still sitting in the shade of his tent, responded flatly to the dwarf's question, "Trouble. That's what it is."

pife
2013-10-10, 12:36 PM
With a convincing look of innocent astonishment, Sonja puts a hand to her mouth.. Me? Good sir, whatever gave you the impression that I would welcome you into my bed, friendly though you are? A lizard, a drink, and perhaps a dance or two were the only trades I intend to make with you. Any man who presumes otherwise will wake with one of my coldstones sitting where even the Scorch can't reach it. That being said, is anyone hungry? I thought perhaps we could talk of our plans while we break our fast.

theskorpionking
2013-10-10, 01:09 PM
"I understand. You're confused. That happens to many an elder in my village." Alia says. "Perhaps it is best if you stay by my side, well, until the Scorch that is. Then you'll have to find some other accommodations." At the sound of the food Alia's stomach turns and she vomits into the sand. She quickly waves her right hand, covering the mess with more sand. "Mind your step." She says to the half elf, herding him towards Sonja's tent.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-10, 01:34 PM
"I've got to report to my superiors first."

He returns to the communal tent he'd been resting in for most of the meetings to seek out the other dwarven scribes he'd arrived with.

Reality Glitch
2013-10-10, 02:16 PM
> Psi'Phi: Search for food_

Good Idea! You temporarally close up your tent and walk away, maybe you'll find a cuisine vender somewhere not nearby.

Erasmas
2013-10-11, 02:46 PM
Akeperenquay

You make your way back to the large tent compound. There, your brother Hanesesamun, is sitting behind his desk, writing upon a stack of unfurled leather scrolls.

"Good dawn, brother. The news is that you have been consorting with rather mixed company as of late...", he led off the conversation without looking up from his work. The chiding tone in his voice told you everything you needed to know. The others had been gossiping again, and relating to those of the other races was a favored topic amongst the dwarves.

Psi'Phi

You easily find shopkeepers setting up for the morning's business. One tent, in particular, draws your attention. They have fried up strips of kaldivan fat and mixed it with desert roc eggs - and it smells delicious!

As you approach, the tattooed elf that seems to serve both as chef and as merchant bows to you.

"Morning's mercy, my trood friend. Would you like something to eat?"

Sonja, Alia, & Sera

The half-elf looks towards Sera and Sonja, as if for help, as he is led back off into the red woman's tent by Alia. The sunwarrior finally leaves his perch, moving to Sonja's side.

"A'atesh... I do not presume to tell you of your own personal matters or how to conduct them. But, I know that Ra'shalan went into that tent last night with you. Now, beyond that I do not pretend to know what transpired, but I do not believe that he laid with Alia. When that spell that he cast upon the elf child elapses - his life, as worthless as it may be, will be in danger so long as Alia'chani believes that he violated her in any way. Will you truly stand for this?"

Reality Glitch
2013-10-11, 03:42 PM
"Yes Please! How much will 50 gold buy?"

pife
2013-10-11, 07:18 PM
Akeperenquay

"A'atesh... I do not presume to tell you of your own personal matters or how to conduct them. But, I know that Ra'shalan went into that tent last night with you. Now, beyond that I do not pretend to know what transpired, but I do not believe that he laid with Alia. When that spell that he cast upon the elf child elapses - his life, as worthless as it may be, will be in danger so long as Alia'chani believes that he violated her in any way. Will you truly stand for this?"

Sonja frowns, but keeps her voice pleasant, intended for his ears only. I tell you truly, I have no idea what transpired in that tent last night, though I too doubt that he lay with Alia. The fog from last night's drink seems to have veiled my memory. I do know that neither of us would have chosen him to lay with us, and therefore, his waking in my tent without clothing is as much a mystery to me as it is to you.

As to my loyalty to him or dedication to his safety, I have no more than I would any other random inhabitant of this camp, and less than for some. His actions and his future are his own to navigate. That being said, I will attempt to convince her that since she was still in the same spot, wearing the same clothing from the time she passed out until this morning, that nothing untoward happened to her. Perhaps we'll be gone from here before his enchantment fades.

Sonja shrugs. Either way, Ra'shalan is the least of my worries this day. The greatest is how to rid myself of this blasted headache.. You're a good man, she adds, patting his shoulder as she enters her tent, holding the flap open in case he intends to follow.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-11, 11:19 PM
Akeperenquay

You make your way back to the large tent compound. There, your brother Hanesesamun, is sitting behind his desk, writing upon a stack of unfurled leather scrolls.

"Good dawn, brother. The news is that you have been consorting with rather mixed company as of late...", he led off the conversation without looking up from his work. The chiding tone in his voice told you everything you needed to know. The others had been gossiping again, and relating to those of the other races was a favored topic amongst the dwarves.
"I'm well aware of what the news is. Are you, however aware that I saved a woman's life this past night?"

He takes out the large vase he purchased from the trood.

"I found this in a trood scavenger's stall. I thought Kerihor might appreciate it."

He places the vase in front of his brother, atop his scrolls.

Erasmas
2013-10-13, 09:01 PM
Akeperenquay

"You did not!", Hanesesamun stated incredulously. But, as you let the silence hang in the room, he finally looked up from his work. Wide-eyed, he examined your face for the truth, "You did?!", he gasped.

He quickly rose from his desk and crossed to the opening of his room and let the dividing flap down, in order to cut down on the amount of scandalous information that might find its way to prying ears. He returned and picked up the vase, giving it a cursory look over out of politeness and nodded his approval for it as a gift for Kerihor, his wife. But you could tell that his interest did not lay in the ancestral trinket, but whatever story it was that you were holding hostage.

"Tell me... everything. Leave nothing unturned in the tale!"

Psi'Phi

The elf's eyebrow raised and he looked you over, "I hope what you have is not gold earned by spilling their previous owner's blood; I would not invite the ire of such a wronged spirit into my life."

He looks at you incredulously for a moment, before taking a deep breath and exhaling in a sharp noise. He nods his head as if he had weighed the subject in that instant and decided in your favor, "Do you have human coin, or elven?"

Sonja & Sera

"That, I am afraid, cannot be seen until my final day.", the Sunwarrior added to the red woman's comment about him. He did in fact follow her inside, where they found Alia and the half-elf sitting there talking quietly amongst themselves.

Reality Glitch
2013-10-13, 10:15 PM
> Psi'Phi: Be off put by his question_

Wow! You had forgotten that Your kind aren't the nicest guys in town, but you understand his plea and let him know that you didn't kill any for the money, otherwise you wouldn't be so hungry right now. Not knowing the difference between the two kinds of coin, you hand him some of what the dwarf had given you, it is the only currency you have on you.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-13, 11:34 PM
"It began yesterday, after The Scorch had passed. I was taking a walk after finishing my work and noticed a group examining some poor fool that got caught out in it. After questioning them about what happened, most of us went our separate ways, but I stayed to help inter the body, so his spirit could pass on. Later on, I was coming back when I saw one of the group I'd met earlier, a beautiful human woman, create a shocking display of fire and power to intimidate someone in front of her. This, however, made her blind to the killer sneaking up behind her, dagger in hand. I had just enough time to shout a warning to her before tackling the man. Here's where it gets REALLY disturbing, however. I know, even more disturbing than seeing some sort of fire sorceress display her magic. The man turned into sand and disappeared, some sort of magic trick. I did spot an odd tattoo on the palm of his hand, however. A scorpion in a seven-pointed star. Does that sound familiar, brother? In any case, the sorceress was grateful for her rescue and invited us to have some wine with her. She even created coldstones for it! And that's what I was doing last night. On the way back, I picked up that vase from the trood I mentioned. He helped me bury the body yesterday too. He claims the vase depicts Ayxmirdyrer I and his conquests. I was impressed by the trood's knowledge of our history, and apparently it's part of a set."

pife
2013-10-15, 07:38 PM
Sonja shares what few comforts her tent offers. Carrying too much baggage just meant paying that much more when you needed it moved. But water, at least, and dried fruit.

At some point in the afternoon, Sonja will find a moment to be alone with Alia. Alia, I must confess something. Ra'shalan did not, to my knowledge share your blankets with you. I woke, the same as you, with him nude next to me, with no knowledge of how he got there. I thought perhaps you had played a trick on me, and I only meant to tease you back.

In truth, I'm not sure what happened last night. But I believe I can vouch for his innocence where you are concerned.

With that, Sonja reaches out for Alia's hand, intending to squeeze it encouragingly, but waiting to gauge her reaction. Phariq flits rapidly around in her hair, perhaps annoyed.

theskorpionking
2013-10-16, 08:08 AM
By the afternoon the effects of whatever the half elf had done to Alia had ended, though she still wasn't sure what had happened. When Sonja came to talk to her, she found herself hurt. She hadn't known the fire lady long enough to be friends, but she had started to think that it would happen. Alia was know to play tricks on others, but not even she would do something like that. She sat there quietly for a few minutes, seeing Sonja's hand near hers. When Sonja's hand enclosed hers, she spoke.

"A trick? Not in a thousand summers would I ever do something like that. I could have killed him, you know. And I would have been full in my rights to do so. A man is to never take a woman's virtue without her consent. Or at least that's how it is with my people. If you ever think to do something like that to me again, just know this, I can make the sand go into some very uncomfortable places."

Alia squeezed Sonja's hand the same way that the fire woman had squeezed hers, then smiled slyly.

pife
2013-10-16, 11:35 AM
Breathing a sigh of relief, Sonja allows her hangover to hit full stride. She really doesn't know what happened last night, isn't sure she wants to, and is just glad that there is no more lingering mistrust or impending violence. Resolving to keep a closer eye on what she drinks, smiles back at Alia. Sonja is aware that her passive-aggressive response to Ra'shalan's condition and location this morning almost caused a grave injustice to at least one person.

If she was to travel with some of these people, as it appeared that she would, she would need to be more careful.

Erasmas
2013-10-17, 03:55 PM
Akeperenquay

You brother had sat, intently absorbing all of the details of the tale you wove for him. When you reached the part about the man's tattooed hand, you see a flash of recognition behind his eyes. While you continue your story, he jumps to his feet and rushes over to his baskets of scrolls, fishing through them and checking the labeled edges for whatever it was he was searching for. You finished your story and still he searched, now on his third basket.

"Aha!", he said triumphantly, pulling out a scroll of kaldivan leather with a bone roller and caps. He took it over to his desk as he untied the thongs that held it closed, uncurling the thing and laying it upon the surface. He then moved weights onto the bottom corners of the scroll to hold it flat and brought the oil lamp closer. Joining him, you could see a drawing that made your blood run cold - a scorpion situated amid a seven-pointed star... just as you had seen the day before. And at the top of the scroll, it stated in bolded writing: The Sands of Sakkarah

And instead of resting during the Scorch, you and Hanesesamun spent the next several hours pouring over documents and in discussion about this highly secretive guild of assassins and thieves that, if you believed everything that you read, seemed to permeate even the highest reaches of power and persuasion.

Psi'Phi

"Ahh... dwarven coin - well then, that should certainly cover it!"

Psi'Phi was able to get his belly full of the proffered food and consumed it quickly. The elf took the coins and stowed them away in a pouch at his waist and had gone back to cooking and tending to the other guests that came to eat. Afterwards, the trood wandered around the encampment looking at this and that to his heart's content. Eventually, they had toned the bell for the arrival of the Scorch and you had returned to your tent and your belongings.

The Scorch came and went, wholly uneventful compared to yesterday's... and the afternoon found you all rousing for the latter part of the day's activities.

Sonja & Sera

Before the Scorch had even arrived, Ra'shalan the handsomely one-armed half-elf merchant had made his excuses and taken his leave... obvious that his affections had been missed their mark and that he did not want to be around when his charm wore off.

The Scorch came and went, wholly uneventful compared to yesterday's... and the afternoon found you all rousing for the latter part of the day's activities.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-17, 03:58 PM
"That sorceress could be in greater danger than I imagined! I have to warn her!"

When the Scorch passes, Akeperenquay dashes out, seeking Sonja amid the crowds. A woman with a little flame flitting about her head would be hard to miss.

Reality Glitch
2013-10-17, 06:34 PM
> Psi'Phi: Re-set-up shop_

You open up shop again, this time taking care to display the finer items in your collection. Hopefully you'll get more customers.

And hopefully I can think of more to write in a single post, but that's a bit tough no matter the writing style when you have control over only one thing.

Lentrax
2013-10-28, 01:38 PM
Sera completed his rituals and dressed quickly. Today, he strapped his armor on, the fine chain links glistening in the post Scorch sunlight.

He was waiting for Sonja before she could rise. When she emerges, Sera gives a deep bow.

Lady A'atesh.

Erasmas
2013-10-29, 04:09 PM
Akeperenquay

You race through the encampment, back to where the events with the one-armed half-elf had transpired earlier that morning, to the tent of the red woman. You push your way past the first of the merchants and tribes that are beginning to pack up their wares and their purchases in order that they may return to whence they came.

As you round a corner off of the main thoroughfare, you see the sunwarrior standing outside of Sonja's tent, apparently awaiting her rousing from her rest during the Scorch.

You arrive just as she is emerging from the tent.

Somewhere not too far off, you hear a woman's voice calling out in search of someone.

"Alia!", the voice sounded panicked and strained. "Alia'chani! Where in the blazes of the three suns are you?!?!"

Psi'Phi

You set your things back out, hoping to be able to conduct a bit more business in the afternoon. A few people of various races come through and look through what you have... and few of which even trade for some of the things. You end up bartering for three skins of water, a large section of kaldivan hide, and half a dozen paduva*.

*paduva - the "throat teeth" of a larval kaldivan. They are akin to bone/ivory/teeth and are about three-feet long with a base/root that is roughly 4 inches in diameter.

Sera

Just as Sonja emerges from her tent, the dwarven scholar by the name of Akeperenquay arrives, somewhat panting for breath.

Somewhere not too far off, you hear a woman's voice calling out in search of someone.

"Alia!", the voice sounded panicked and strained. "Alia'chani! Where in the blazes of the three suns are you?!?!"

Alia

You stayed with Sonja during the Scorch once again, not having a tent of your own to retreat to yet. Soon after the Scorch was over, and the red-tattooed fire sorceress exited her tent, you heard a male voice outside addressing her - you assumed it to belong to Sera, the Warrior of Karask. However, you hear from a greater distance and in the other direction, a different voice - this one female and very, very familiar.

Lentrax
2013-10-29, 04:15 PM
Lady A'atesh. sera bows, the rings of his chainmaille jingle slightly as the warrior bows deeply. My Lady, do you have any business to attend to in the city?

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-29, 06:27 PM
Akeperenquay runs up to the group.

"Pardon the interruption, milady, but you could be in very real danger!"

theskorpionking
2013-10-30, 07:30 AM
Sira! Alia thought in alarm. She didn't want her elder sister finding her. She knew that if she did, any freedoms that Alia would have had would be taken from her. She grabs her pack and quickly leaves the tent.

Outside she sees Sonja, the dwarf and the man in blue, talking. She heard the dwarf say something about real danger. She just wasn't sure if he meant Alia, or if he had meant Sonja. Either way she needed to get away from Sira's approaching voice.

Doing the best to keep the fear out of her voice she says, "Quickly, we must leave this place."

Reality Glitch
2013-10-30, 12:25 PM
> ==>

After a while, the hustle-and-bustle of the commerce dies down you decide to pack up and turn in for the night, if night even comes here w/ the planet being tidally locked and all.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-30, 11:35 PM
Sira! Alia thought in alarm. She didn't want her elder sister finding her. She knew that if she did, any freedoms that Alia would have had would be taken from her. She grabs her pack and quickly leaves the tent.

Outside she sees Sonja, the dwarf and the man in blue, talking. She heard the dwarf say something about real danger. She just wasn't sure if he meant Alia, or if he had meant Sonja. Either way she needed to get away from Sira's approaching voice.

Doing the best to keep the fear out of her voice she says, "Quickly, we must leave this place."
"You know about them too? Good, that'll save time on explanation. Come on! We've gotta get the sorceress out of here!"

Erasmas
2013-10-31, 10:55 AM
Akeperenquay, Alia, Sera, & Sonja

"No, I do not.", Sonja answers Sera. And then when the dwarf rushes into the area and proclaims his warning, she looks taken aback.

"Whatever do you mean?!"

And then his urgency was only intensified by the haste in Alia's behavior.

"What is going on? Why the sudden push for leaving?"

Psi'Phi

You pack up your wares and begin to head for your tent. Somewhere not too far off, you hear a woman's voice calling out in search of someone.

You can also see that there appears to be something going on with the small group of people you met the day before - the sunwarrior, the red woman, the elf child, and the dwarven scholar.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-10-31, 11:10 AM
Akeperenquay

"The assassin! The one that nearly killed you last night! There's more of them!"

Reality Glitch
2013-10-31, 02:41 PM
> Psi'Phi: Investigate the screaming_

You follow the load voice to it's source and ask the woman about why she is doing such and if there is anything you can do to help.

Erasmas
2013-11-05, 01:29 PM

"More of them?! Where?!", the red woman replies, somewhat frantically looking about, as if to spot the enemies here and now.

Sera draws his blade in response and, as well, casts his eyes to and fro for signs of peril.

Psi'Phi

You find the woman, an elf, who is searching in dire desperation; even approaching strangers and pleading with them. As you walk towards her, her tear-swollen eyes lock onto your own and she hastily makes her way to you.

"Please, milord... my sister is missing and I cannot find her! Have you seen her? She is an elf, like me, and her name is Alia'chani. She has been gone for an entire day now and no one knows where she is! Please, please help me."

Reality Glitch
2013-11-05, 02:03 PM
"Actually, I think so. :) If that is her over there."

You point over to the group you decided not to join in favor of helping this poor woman.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-11-05, 05:07 PM

"More of them?! Where?!", the red woman replies, somewhat frantically looking about, as if to spot the enemies here and now.

Sera draws his blade in response and, as well, casts his eyes to and fro for signs of peril.
"Not here, not now. But my brother and I learned they're a cult or secret society of some sort. If they failed to kill you last night, they'll probably come after you again. I wanted to warn you. We shouldn't talk about this publicly."

theskorpionking
2013-11-06, 03:54 AM
"The dwarf is correct. We should take cover immediatly." Alia says quickly, then quietly adds, "There are far worse things about than assassins."

Erasmas
2013-11-06, 01:12 PM

The sunwarrior visibly relaxes at this imparting of news, re-sheathing his sword and giving one last cursory glance about the area before joining the others' conversation.

"But what would I have done to...", Sonja starts, before Sera interjects.

"A thousand apologies, A'atesh. But I believe the dwarf and the elf child's concern to be warranted. We should take our conversation elsewhere. These encampments tend to have eyes and ears, often where one cannot see them."

Sera then moves to his own tent nearby, and opens the flap, and gives a bowing gesture for the other three to enter before him.

Psi'Phi

Having covered a little bit of ground from where you have your tent setup, you motion in that direction, only to realize that you cannot see the small open area where the others were only moments ago. Your line of sight is blocked by several other tents and the meandering crowd. The elf woman, despite this, raises up onto the balls of her feet and cranes her neck upwards, her eyes searching wildly.

"Where?! Where is she?! I do not understand where it is you are indicating! Take me to her, please... I beg of you!"

Reality Glitch
2013-11-06, 10:53 PM
"My bad. I must have walked farther than I thought. Follow me." You then proceed to walk back to where you last saw the group you think the girl was in.

Lentrax
2013-11-07, 06:18 AM
Sera'allith tent is sparse. A small prayer rug sits rolled up alongside a small bag, and the only other furnishing in the small dome is a set of pillows that are rumpled enough that you think the ground may be more comfortable.

Forgive the sparseness of amenities, but I do not often have guests.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-11-07, 10:47 AM
"Amenities matter little. Thank you for this."

Akeperenquay continues to shoo the ladies into the tent, bringing up the rear and closing the flap behind him.

Erasmas
2013-11-07, 04:43 PM

The four of you enter Sera's tent and the flap is closed behind. It would seem that you were now free to discuss your plans.

Sonja sits upon the ground and Alia joins her upon one of the pillows, which she promptly abandons for the sandy floor. "Now, to business then, shall we? What is this nonsense about someone wanting to kill me?"

Psi'Phi

The woman does so, following close behind, and you both soon reach the small clearing outside of your tent. Moments ago, the others were gathered here, talking animatedly about something. However, it appeared that they were now gone!

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-11-07, 10:07 PM
Akeperenquay

"I don't know why anyone would want you dead, but after the events of last night, I was curious about that symbol I spotted on your assailant's hand before he...um..."disappeared," for lack of a better term. The scorpion in a seven-pointed star. That symbol is the mark of a band of thieves and assassins that call themselves "The Sands of Sakkarah." If the sensationalist treatise my brother and I read on them is to be believed, they've got men in the highest echelons of power throughout Tantharra. That may or may not be true, but given what little we've gleaned, it seems reasonable to assume someone seeks your life, sorceress. They'd have claimed it had we not intervened last night. Every one of us is in danger because of our involvement in saving your life. Doubtless they will make attempts again, and they will also try to kill us to silence us. This puzzle is grave and mysterious...wait is everyone from last night here? I thought that trood merchant was present at the scene of the crime too.

Reality Glitch
2013-11-07, 10:56 PM
"Oh dear. People, you can keep track of them, am I right?" You bend over the antique stand in your tent and rummage through the stuff behind the counter. "Anyway, I should have something here that might help you. Aha!" You pull out what looks to be a notebook bound in leather white as snow, the title isn't in any known language. "Here, this book's magic, write the name of the person you want to find while holding a good mental image of their face in your mind's eye and you'll find them just after the next scorch. I don't know how the magic works, not my area of specialization, but it works. You can donate if you want, but this is on the house, I have a spare anyway."

Lentrax
2013-11-09, 01:02 AM
Sera'allith eyes narrow at the mention of Sonja's life being in danger.

These assassins will not touch the Lady A'atesh. I swear it upon my inner flame.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-11-09, 01:10 AM
"Well, like I said, Sera, they'll likely be after you now too, especially since you seem to have latched onto her as a bodyguard-type. You're an obstacle to them now. And they'll probably want to kill me for my own interference..."

theskorpionking
2013-11-09, 04:00 AM
"I can assure you that I will be awaiting a fate far worse than death if I am caught." Alia says calmly as she watches the tent flap with unease.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-11-09, 07:36 AM
"Why? Caught by who? Please explain."

Lentrax
2013-11-09, 03:00 PM
She refers, Sera begins. To her family. Don't you?

theskorpionking
2013-11-12, 02:20 PM
Alia looks down before answering. She waves her right hand over the sand and turns it into Tomis' face. She makes the sand Tomis smile, what would usually make her smile only made her sad. "That's partially correct."

She raise her right hand up, causing the sand Tomis to grow too. The sand Tomis had reached the real Tomis' height. Alia made it turn around so it was looking at the rest of the group. "This is my younger brother Tomis. Actually, he's my only brother. I have six sisters. Sira is the eldest. That makes me the seventh daughter of the seventh son. That means that only I have the same ability as my father. I am an Artizhak, a shaper of sand. It is very uncommon amongst my tribe of people to posses this power. Those that have it are immediately given over to the Order." Alia had a bitter look on her face. "I was able to hide my powers, showing them only to Tomis, until my mother had seen me using them. Giving me over to the Order had given my mother a higher standing in our tribe. She had told me several times when she had come to visit me. Because of who my father was I was given a few liberties that many of the others didn't receive. I had my own room and I was able to leave to visit my family. I had no friends there because of this. Not that there was any one my age there."

Alia made the sand Tomis disappear. "If my sister were to find me, she would tell my mother. My mother in turn would tell the Order. The Order would take my liberties away. I would never again see Tomis. And that master dwarf, is a fate far worse than death."

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-11-12, 02:46 PM
"And, this Order is?"

theskorpionking
2013-11-14, 11:55 AM
"The Order!" Alia spat out the word. "They are nothing more than a group of religious zealots out to make money off of the weak willed people of my tribe and the surrounding areas. Many bereaved people come to the temple to speak with their deceased loved ones. They are sent away from the temple so that the monks can find out all they can about the deceased. They are very thorough in their research, leaving no stone unturned. Once they have learned everything they could, they invite the person back to the temple. Then they have one of the sand shapers make the deceased out of sand, then a monk speaks for the deceased. Mostly telling the person or people exactly what they want to hear. Then they tell them that if they want to keep the contact going, they need to give something of value to the Order."

Alia clenched her fists in anger, "I know all of this because I have witnessed it with my own eyes." She showed the small group her right arm. "These are the markings that we Artizhak get in our training we receive. Once they complete the markings, they'll indoctrinate me into the Order. Meaning that my mind will not be my own, I will no longer recognize my own family. It took my mother making a donation to the Order just to get me to be able to come on this journey. I had planned on making an escape with Tomis to anywhere we could go. But, now I know that's not possible anymore."

Alia wiped away a single tear that had began falling down her cheek.

Erasmas
2013-11-14, 01:16 PM

"Oh, you poor child!", Sonja let out as she put a hand to her mouth. She reaches her other hand out and gently touches your shoulder in a reassuring manner.

"I'm so sorry that you have been put through that. Do not worry; I will not allow them to take you back to such an awful place."

Psi'Phi

The elf woman smiles through her tears at your kindness. It is obvious that she has been upset for quite some time and that your gift brings her no small amount of joy.

"Thank you.", she barely manages to choke out as she takes the book. Looking down at it, she caresses the leather cover as if greeting a lifelong friend or the miracle cure for some terminal fate. The woman places a hand upon your shoulder and then is gone in a twirl of the fabric from her loose garments.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-11-14, 03:20 PM
Akeperenquay

Akeperenquay frowns.

"Hmmm...I may be able to help in this matter. You say they value their purses. Tell me, how would your Order react it...say, a certain dwarven nobleman required your presence in our courts for an indefinite period of time as a valuable witness in an investigation of an attempted murder? And that refusal on their part would bring the full wrath of Pharaoh's bureaucracy down upon their heads?"

Reality Glitch
2013-11-15, 12:19 AM
> ==>

You did good there. Now if only something would happen to you. Wait, no! Don't jinx it, that's how you lost sis'. Poor girl, if only you hadn't made one simple mistake.

theskorpionking
2013-11-18, 12:20 PM
Alia thought for a moment before answering. "It is possible that it could work. They are no fighters, so there would be no challenge from them. And it would save my family from being shamed. What would I have to do master dwarf?"

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-11-18, 04:45 PM
"Allow me to help you. I confess, while the life of a scribe is comfortable, I crave a bit more. A little adventure might do me some good. Getting involved in assassinations and religious intrigue seems quite exciting!"

Erasmas
2013-11-19, 01:07 PM

Suddenly, from outside the tent, you heard the sounds of far-off commotion. And then, from distinctly nearer, you all hear a familiar clicking voice calling out.

"Strangerz! Holdterz of the medtallion! Kome, kuickly... the time haz arrivedt in which you must dtepart!"

Psi'Phi

As you stood there amongst your things, wondering what you would do until the night arrived. Suddenly, you hear the sounds of a commotion, off on the northern side of the encampment... you think you may even hear people screaming. Then the thri-kreen that you saw yesterday hurriedly enters the clearing within the gathering of tents. He frantically looks about and calls out, "Strangerz! Holdterz of the medtallion! Kome, kuickly... the time haz arrivedt in which you must dtepart!"

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-11-19, 01:50 PM
"Speak of the Suetekh and he shall appear. I believe the thri-kreen means us?"

Lentrax
2013-11-19, 02:17 PM
The sound of Sera's scimitar being drawn was louder inside the tent than it would otherwise have been. Walking over to the entry to his tent, he turns and sketches a bow to the others in his tent. Wait here.

He then walks out of the tent and into the daylight, seeking the yelling thri-kreen.

Erasmas
2013-11-19, 02:29 PM
Sera'allith

The thri-kreen spots you emerging from the tent, weapon drawn. He puts up all four of his empty hands to indicate that he offers no threat.

"Warrior of Karask, the Talonhide Klan iz attakingk the northern endt of the enkampment. They have brought great numberz with them - many are alreadty dteadt. You must flee."

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-11-20, 12:57 AM
Akeperenquay ignores Sera and follows him, curious about what's going on and concerned about how he played into all this.

"What are you talking about, man? Who are the Talonhide, what do they want? Do we all have to flee or just Sera?"

Lentrax
2013-11-20, 01:16 AM
Troods. They are here for the Lady A'atesh and myself. I am not going to flee, and allow this encampment to fall to their cowardly steel. The man sighed. But I am not a fool either. Lady A'atesh. Take the scroll.

He hands the scroll over to Sonja.

Go. I will stand with the encampment.

And if I survive, I will rejoin you.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-11-20, 01:27 AM
"Why? What do they want with you people?!"

Lentrax
2013-11-20, 04:08 AM
I made them bleed. And I will not run while they kill innocents. Now, go!

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-11-20, 10:39 AM
"As you say."

Akeperenquay returns to the tent.

"We're under attack! Let's get out of here. If we flee with my caravan we can plan further at my estate in Orzam Minsc!

theskorpionking
2013-11-20, 10:44 AM
Alia did her best to not show any fear as she got up and grabbed her things. "If need be, I could cause a sand storm. It might give people time to flee."

She, however, didn't bother telling them that it would incapacitate her for several hours.

Erasmas
2013-11-20, 11:59 AM
"The cowards!", Sonja exclaims as she looks towards the screaming. She nods solemnly to Sera as she accepts the scroll. The red woman then runs to her tent and begins hurriedly gathering some things.

The mayhem, which seems to be taking place further up the canyon, steadily grows closer. Theechil likewise draws his weapons - made of kaldivan bones and teeth.

"You mistake me, zunwarrior - the troddtz have brought with them an army. Ztaying here meanz only death; I kan lead you from thiz plaze, but we muzt leave now! There iz no honor to be foundt in ztaying behindt. If you truly wish to protect her... then do zo by sheltering her againzt the dangerz that lie ahead along our roadt.", the thri-kreen clicked with a lowered voice.

He then turns to Alia, "If you have the meanz to do zo, elf childt... then I beg it of you."

theskorpionking
2013-11-22, 01:17 PM
Alia adjusted the pack on her back, making sure it was secure. "I want you to know, master thri-kreen, I cannot guarantee that it will work. But for my fathers sake I will try. One more thing, could someone please make sure that my brother and sister gets to safety.?"

Alia looks into the distance, watching the oncoming battle intently. She narrows her eyes and raises her arms. To those around her, it almost seems that the tattooed glyphs on her right arm are glowing. The surrounding area goes quiet, there seems to now be a breeze when there wasn't one before.

Alia begins humming, the sand around her begins to shift. The humming stops and Alia quietly says, "Starí duchovia daj mi silu sa snažím. Nechajte piesky bane zničiť nepriateľov."

Her eyes roll back into her head as she lets out an unearthly scream causing the sand around her to erupt. Unaware of her surroundings Alia urged the newborn sandstorm to gather the strength it needed from her to do her bidding. When the sandstorm took what it needed and left, Alia collapsed onto the ground.

Lentrax
2013-11-22, 01:46 PM
The glare from Sera's eyes was strong enough to make even the hardest of soldiers flinch. Turning back at the sound of the elven words behind him, he is just in time to watch Alia as she falls to the ground. When he speaks, his voice is just barely audible over the gathering storm.

Master Dwarf, take the girl and escort the Lady A'atesh to your caravan. See them to safety. Master Theechil. You will come with me to find the girl's family. Then you will escort them out of the encampment. I will do what I can to get as many other people out of the way of this army.

Without waiting to see if his orders were followed, the warrior removed his turban, letting long jet black hair fall down past his shoulders. With quick hands he dons his helm and walks out into the growing sandstorm.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-11-22, 03:11 PM
"Alright! I'll give them a place of honor at my table tonight!"

Akeperenquay hoists Alia onto his shoulder and yanks Sonja along to his brother's tent, where he can see they're already scrambling to pack stuff up.

"Brother! We've a couple of guests joining us on the journey home! Let's hustle! Is the palanquin ready?!"

Reality Glitch
2013-11-24, 02:38 PM
> This can't be good_
No. No it can't, but you have fighting tactics. Being able to fly and burrow does have its advantages. That and magic.

You walk up to the thri-kreen and ask him about the battle. "Where are they coming from? Is there any more information you can give on the subject?"

Erasmas
2013-11-25, 02:48 PM
Akeperenquay, Alia, Psi'Phi, & Sonja

The thri-kreen helps position Alia onto the dwarf's shoulder and then places one of his many hands upon Akeperenquay's other. Looking to Psi'Phi as he asked his questions, he replied, "No, I have no information for you, mertchant. Thoze of your kin are attacking from the north, that iz all that I know."

Then, looking back to the dwarven scholar, "Goodt luck. Andt go with the zpeed of the windtz.", he says before turning to follow the sunwarrior. You saw a second set of eyelids blink shut over Theechil's insectoid eyes and he then marches straight into the brewing sandstorm ahead. Sonja, coming back out of her tent with a small bundle and a couple of wineskins, is quickly ushered by Akeperenquay away from the clearing.

"What? Where are we going? Where have Sera and the thri-kreen gone?!", she asked as she follows along.

You finally reach the camp of the dwarves to find one of the tents on fire, and chaos scattered everywhere... including the bodies of many of Akeperenquay's kinsmen. Hanesesamun, however, was nowhere to be found.

Sera'allith

The small particles of sand sting the small amount of skin left exposed by your clothing, armor, and your helm. You squint ahead into the blinding blurry of beige, trying to make out anything at all... much less telling innocent from foe. Turning your face away from the main direction of the wind current that carried the assailing sands, you trudge forward and attempt to discern where you are going. You find yourself pleading with Karask, the Firebearer, for guidance and courage. Suddenly a hand reaches out and clenches down upon your shoulder. As you instinctively bring your blade to bear, only to find another hand upon your forearm with surprising strength. Looking for your new-found enemy, you find only the face of Theechil.

"Ztill your zwordt, zunwarrior! I am here at your behezt! Kome, let uz find the elf childt'z family! It iz thiz way!", he clicks loudly over the roaring winds and the sounds of collapsing tents. Then, taking your freehand in one of his own, he changes course and brings you along behind him.

Reality Glitch
2013-11-25, 05:20 PM
> ==>

You go back to your tent, and pack your stuff back up, and head north until you're sure no can see you and continue the rest of the way under the sand.

theskorpionking
2013-11-26, 10:03 AM
With Alia unconscious, the sandstorm begins to grow unstable.

Archpaladin Zousha
2013-11-26, 04:22 PM
EVERYONE! Akeperenquay barks.

Get the palanquin ready! I have friends that are coming with us! Let's get this evacuation organized!

He reaches the palanquin and places Alia inside, then turns to Sonja.

No time to explain. Get in the palainquin and protect Alia. Sera and the thri-kreen are looking for her family. I'll join you as soon as I'm able.

He then turns to the servants and begins barking a series of rapid-fire orders to try and get the dwarven caravan moving as quickly as possible. Leave any unnecessary things behind, get women and children to safety, and make sure the papyrus scrolls cataloguing the work done were collected to assess damage control later. When they're ready to flee, he hops in the palanquin with the ladies and his remaining servants spur it on its way. His face fell as he thought of his brother, but knew that Hansesamun would have done the same. One dwarven life was nothing if it meant saving a hundred others. He'd have been proud.

Erasmas
2013-11-27, 11:50 AM
Akeperenquay, Alia, & Sonja

The servants, all lower-classed dwarves and half-breeds, were already in the midst of getting things ready to travel. Many were dead, but they had managed to pack up the most crucial scrolls and water stores first, along with the women and children. Sonja's purchased badoshii had followed her and was tied loosely to the palanquin that you all were riding in. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity and with the ever-present threat of the troods returning, the palanquins were hoisted and the caravan began moving south as rapidly as the servants could carry them. Orzam Minsc seemed so very far away now, but there was no place to stop between - it must be your destination!

As the caravan moved out, Akeperenquay saw a corpse that he recognized laying face-up in the sand - that of his brother, Hanesesamun, still clutching his hammer in defiance against whatever foul devil had slain him.

Psi'Phi

You borrow for that seems like hours before finally coming back up for anything more than just air. The sounds of chaos and death now echo to you from the south - you managed to avoid the skirmish and escape. And now, once again, you were all alone.