PDA

View Full Version : Robilar's Gambit question

barna10
2013-01-08, 01:13 PM
Ok, I've never used Robilar's Gambit before, but I just noticed something strange. Karmic Strike specifically states it doesn't grant more AOOs than normal, but Robilar's Gambit doesn't include such text. Does Robilar's Gambit grant unlimited AOOs per turn?

Has there been errata on this? I checked the PHB2 errata and the FAQ and found nothing.

Person_Man
2013-01-08, 01:57 PM
No, it does not.

The basic rule is that you get one attack of opportunity per turn. The Combat Reflexes Feat modifies this rule by allowing you to make a number of AoO equal to your Dexterity. Robilar's Gambit is silent on the issue, so it does nothing to modify the number of attacks of opportunity you can take per round. It only grants you a new situation in which you may take one. The clarifying text on Karmic Strike was just an attempt to clarify, and also did not modify the basic mechanics of Combat Reflexes.

barna10
2013-01-08, 02:01 PM
what I thought, thanks.

Draz74
2013-01-08, 02:05 PM
Yeah, the clarification on Karmic Strike is superfluous.

The discrepancy is probably just due to different authors' writing styles. However, if you like, you can chalk it up to the fact that Robilar's has an AoO-related prerequisite (Combat Reflexes) that Karmic Strike lacks, and therefore the authors assumed that characters with Robilar's would be past a certain threshold of awareness about the limitations of AoO's.