PDA

View Full Version : Is wild mage fun or a hassle?

silverwolfer
2013-01-08, 01:18 PM
The wild mage prc, am taking this from a player and fellow teamate considerations, does the randomness of the caster level that wild mage has, induce fun, or headaches over the long term?

ahenobarbi
2013-01-08, 01:28 PM
I didn't try it because:
- The gain is small (0.5 CL on average IIRC)
- You become unreliable (need to teleport the whole party... oops low roll)
- You have to roll every time you cast (annoying, especially for you use day-long bufs (and you should)).

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-08, 01:31 PM
Practiced spellcaster can mitigate the loss of CL, as you can apply it before the random effect and have at least your standard caster level for all spells.

Person_Man
2013-01-08, 01:52 PM
From a purely crunch point of view it's not worth it. Magical Aptitude (a pre-req) is a complete waste of a Feat, and it's easier to raise your caster level (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level) via other means.

As a DM, I'd be fine with just giving any Sorcerer 1d6-3 caster level on every spell if they asked for it, assuming that they weren't doing any other caster level buffs/shenanigans. If they want to be random for fun, let them.

silverwolfer
2013-01-08, 01:54 PM
would you view practiced spellcaster as cheese or just a safe bet?

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-08, 01:57 PM
I would allow it. As a PRC, adding 1d6 CL without any penalty is not broken, just random. There are much worse PRC's out there.

WinWin
2013-01-08, 02:16 PM
The CL boost?...Really?...

Take a look at Student of Chaos. Then go craft a wand of Confusion, or scrolls of Contact other Plane and Prismatic Spray.

Some of the other features are ok, but weaksauce compared to the AD&D version.

silverwolfer
2013-01-08, 02:25 PM
hmm...wu jen + wild mage?

Psyren
2013-01-08, 04:59 PM
I like it just for the fact that you can spam Rod of Wonder effects out of your 1st-level slots. For teh lulz.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-08, 09:33 PM
I like it just for the fact that you can spam Rod of Wonder effects out of your 1st-level slots. For teh lulz.

Agreed. This class feature is the only real reason to play it, and the real motivation for getting this class feature is to goof around. Can be interesting in combat, though I am not sure that the rest of the party will always find it so.

An actual rod of wonder is probably more practical, in the end.

I actually had an idea long ago to boost the prc by giving them some kind of % chance or skill check to ignore effects of antimagic fields. Seemed to fit the spirit, and would be a nice capstone.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-10, 10:37 PM
It's both.

The question is do you, in particular, think it'll be more fun or more hassle in actual play?

That depends on how much the thrill of the unknown blows your skirt up and how much it will annoy/amuse your team-mates.

I'm pretty sure I could enjoy the class, but mileages vary too much for that to mean anything.