PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew System WIP PEACH

Diem
2013-01-08, 05:33 PM
I've been a player for quite some time, a DM for longer, and am now in the position of wanting to create my own system. As much as I've designed classes, feats, items, spells, and others before, this must by definition be a grander undertaking. This can't just work for my style of play, it must work for everyone. So I would like as much feedback as I can get.

So, starting with ideas I like and dislike as a player and as a DM from other systems, I try to build from the ground up an adaptable system that covers multiple genres of play.

IDEAS I Like:
Fate Points/Luck Points/Hero Points
Reward tokens granting story power or character benefit seem like a good idea to me. As a DM it's nice to be able to reward good roleplaying decisions, as a player it's nice to be appreciated.

Descriptive Backstory with Game Benefits
Dresden Files RPG Story Bonus or D&D Next's Backstory Traits are good examples of this concept. Having a story for your character that leads to greater drama is a wonderful thing. Reinforcing that with game stats or traits is a genius thing.

Mixed Class-based & Skill/Power-based Game
A class based game like D&D, PF, or any other off-shoot is a classic way to proceed, and honestly is the way I got into gaming. But there's something to be said for class-less systems as well. They are more open and adaptable, but require more familiarity to create with and take more setup time on average. A blend of the two styles if possible would suit me just fine.

IDEAS I Hate:
Dicepools
Forgive my saying so, but I hate playing RPG systems that use dicepools. Roll the same (or more!) d6 or d10 than my wizard would use for a devastating fireball every single time a decision needs to be made. I know there are ways to expedite the process, but it takes time away from the game whenever the call is close enough to require counting successes. Much preferred is the concept of 1dX, or 1 card drawn for that matter.

Edge of the Road Systems
Middle of the Road is a nice adaptable place to be. The Goldilocks zone, not too this or that. Edge of the Road can get you into trouble. Systems that are too simple, too complex, too rigid, too freeform...

Point-Buy Attributes
Oddly enough, I've had more characters nerfed by this mechanic than by random chance. Seems odd, but that's the way it goes I suppose. I've heard it said that all you need to break a game is excel at one thing. The problem with that is when a mechanic plans for that. A fighter or Spellcaster for the most part can get by just fine on point-buy stats, but a monk, a paladin, or anybody else who should be good at more than one or two scores doesn't have the same chance.

Now that that's out of the way...

I suppose that the place to start is with defining decision making and the character, as everything else launches off from there...

Decision Making:
Call it whimsical, but I like the idea of using the d12+modifiers.
I also plan for two other types of resolution as optional add-ins.

For social situations, or in cases where you spend a FATE point, you may essentially take story control for a brief instant, and role play the outcome.

For all other situations, if you don't wish to trust it to luck, you may decide solely based on higher relevant stat. If one person involved (player or DM) calls for a roll, it must be rolled, but otherwise can be expedited by higher level.

Character Attributes:
Physical:
Strength: Brute force, lifting power, etc
Agility: Ability to dodge, move, etc
Dexterity: Hand coordination, aim, etc
Constitution: Health, hardiness, etc

Mental:
Intelligence: Ability to learn/process information
Instinct: awareness, reflexes, etc
Charisma: Ability to persuade, deceive, etc
Focus: Force of will, Power of faith, etc

Derived/Other:
Body Build: see templates
Appearance: Derived from average of physical stats, Charisma, & story modifiers
Speed: Derived from Agility & Build, limited by Encumbrance

Next to come...Body Build Templates, Skills, and Background Mods.

Zireael
2013-01-12, 04:15 AM
I like it. All the basics are similar to the basics of my own homebrew system, but you have less attributes.

However, I'm not sure if I like derived attributes. They sound nice in theory, but in practice they are often a PITA.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14420823#post14420823 - you might take a look at my system and tell me what you like or not...

nonsi
2013-01-12, 08:41 AM
What implications will your mental stats have on spellcasting (i.e. which class uses which attribute)?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-01-12, 12:35 PM
To handle the "Mixed Class-based & Skill/Power-based Game" thing, you could try very generic classes with lots and lots of options and archetypes. The rules might have "Warrior, Expert, Mage, and Gish" classes. Each class might have a few archetypes-- Barbarian, Soldier, Skirmisher, Archer, Cavalier. Every level, you get either an archetype power (from a list) or a class power (from a different list).

How obnoxious derived stats get probably depends a lot on how often the base stats change.

Zireael
2013-01-13, 09:02 AM
In my system, I made classes roughly what you presented, Grod_the_Giant. Would you look at my thread and comment?

Also, nonsi has asked a good question.